Mon Sep 4 - Thomas Street

New York City, 1933.

A man is missing and the girl wants him found. What more do you need to know?

This game will be run using the Trail of Cthulhu (copyright (c)2009 Pelgrane Press).

Moderator: Gaffer

Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Mon Sep 4 - Thomas Street

Post by Gaffer »

8 Thomas Street is a remodeled and fashionable building on a somewhat scruffy block of Greenwich Village, a bohemian district of New York, full of dusty bookstores, dingy art galleries, and dimly-lit cafes. Of course, it’s the middle of the day right now, so the sidewalks are pretty deserted and yours were the only cars moving on the street.

The block is mostly older brownstones (some converted to rooming houses) and about ten storefronts, including Simpkins’ Grocery, Trilby’s Hat (cafe), Koslov’s Art and The Book-Worm (second-hand bookstore) – several others are vacant. There are a couple of small, newer apartment buildings down the block, similar to number 8. The grocery and the café are open and the bookstore is just opening up; the gallery looks closed.

A wide alley runs along one side of Hirt’s building, which abuts Simpkins’ Grocery on the other side (an alley runs behind both buildings as well). The glassed-in foyer includes a pair of potted palms and a row of twenty polished brass mailboxes for the residents. There are several parking spaces in front of and across the street from the apartment house.

[How do you proceed when you arrive? Do you just walk right into the building? Do you case the place first?

If Langdon doesn't go in with the rest, where does wait? (There is a pay phone in the café .)]
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Mon Sep 4 - Thomas Street

Post by Langdon »

Jamison parks us across the street and I wait in the car for the others to arrive.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex will go around the block and then park on the opposite side of the street from Langdon. If anyone came with him, he has something to say first, otherwise he will step out of the car and wait for the others to arrive.
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

OOC,Langdon plans to go in with the others, but to act like any sort of antagonistic response to Miss Hirt is not at all what he expected. What sort of spends might I need to make for that? Reassurance? Assess Honesty (lie)?
FrankyEsposito
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by FrankyEsposito »

I'll arrive by cab, not even trying to be inconspicuous. I'll head directly for the apartment. As I do, I'll take a surreptitious glance around, hoping to spot the others. Regardless, I'll proceed directly to Alphonse's apartment and knock on the door.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Dex is just handing Delores out of his car, when the cab pulls up and Esposito storms into the apartment building. Langdon jaywalks across the street from his car. Everyone will have to hurry to catch up to the police detective.
Dex,[color=#FF0000][OOC - I just heard from Delores/Philulu that he's having tech issues, so I'm assuming she rode with you. Go ahead with a retcon post to say what you wanted to say in the car. Or you can hurriedly fill in Delores and Langdon as you follow Esposito.][/color][
Langdon,[color=#FF0000][OOC - I think we'll test Langdon's [b]Reassurance[/b] when the time comes, so be thinking of how much he'll want to spend. By the way, I didn't mention it before, but Jamison isn't there. He's a house servant, not a chauffer. Besides, Langdon gets great pleasure being seen behind the wheel of his fancy car.][/color]
Franky,As Esposito steps into the foyer, a nasally voice asks, [color=#0000BF]“Can I help you, sir?"[/color] Myron Hirschen is at the front desk, ready to help residents and run the elevator. Myron is neither tall nor short and of average weight. His most distinctive facial feature is the pair of round, black-framed glasses through which he peers, blinking frequently. He wears a white shirt and tie, dark trousers and a gray sweater under his maroon uniform jacket. There’s a thick book on the desk in front of him. His voice has a nasal quality.
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

"Detective!" I call out indiscriminately from across the street, waving to both detectives. I trot across the street and rush in after the others. "Shall we?"
FrankyEsposito
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by FrankyEsposito »

Well, we did manage to look disorganized. I don't know if anyone's watching, but you can never be too careful. I badge the doorman and motion for him to hold on.

"Mr. Vilas, glad you could make it." I extend my hand to shake his, trying to act like we haven't seen each other for some time. "Do you know if Mr. Ford and Miss, uh..." I stop and check my notes, playing it to the hilt. "Brown are coming?"
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

"I think I saw Dex and Dolores outside, they should be along any minute now."
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Dex finishes chatting with Delores, mentioning that she should be carefully since some odd things are going on. He sees Langdon and Esposito already inside the building. After opening the door for Delores he nods at the other two. "Sorry we are a bit late, traffic was a bear. I take it we are ready?" He glances at the doorman and nods, waiting to see what the other two, including the detective are about to do next.
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

For those of you who haven't met him yet, the youngish man behind the front desk (not a doorman) is Myron Hirschen. Myron is neither tall nor short and of average weight. His most distinctive facial feature is the pair of round, black-framed glasses through which he peers, blinking frequently. He wears a white shirt and tie, dark trousers and a gray sweater under his maroon uniform jacket. There’s a thick book on the desk in front of him. His voice has a nasal quality.

“Oh, Mr. Ford, good morning. Are these people all with you? I take it you want to go up to Mr. Hirt’s apartment. Shall I ring Miss Hirt to tell her you’re here? She came in a few minutes ago.”

He reaches for the phone.
Delores Brown
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Delores Brown »

"You've met Miss Hirt before?" asks Delores quickly, before Hirschen can pick up the phone. "Before today, that is?"
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

OOC,I will be out of town this weekend starting tomorrow afternoon and I won't be back until late Sunday night. Sorry to be absent just as we're starting a new scene.
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

Delores Brown wrote:"You've met Miss Hirt before?" asks Delores quickly, before Hirschen can pick up the phone. "Before today, that is?"
Dex answers sotto voce to Delores. "Langdon met the fake Miss Hirt over the weekend for dinner. At the time we weren't quite sure she wasn't the real Miss Hirt. If the doorman over there says Miss Hirt is waiting for us, I am curious as to which Miss Hirt it might be?" He patted his jacket, near where a shoulder holster would hang. "I am sure we can handle whatever is thrown at us."

Dex thinks for a moment. "Has anyone actually met or talked with the real Miss Hirt?"
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Delores Brown wrote:"You've met Miss Hirt before?" asks Delores quickly, before Hirschen can pick up the phone. "Before today, that is?"
“Well, she says she’s his sister Marlene and I’ve spoken with Mr. Hirt’s sister Marlene on the phone several times during the six months I’ve worked here. She’s been going in and out with Mr. Hirt for a couple of months, I guess, so it’s okay. She had the key and she even bought a new rug last week. I helped her carry it up."

He lowers his voice, leaning conspiratorially toward Esposito and winking lugubriously. "She’s a real looker, I’ll tell you. Got a snazzy red car she parks in the alley, too.”

“I’ll take you up in the elevator.”
He leads you over to the small elevator and takes his station at the controls. It's a rather tight fit with five people, but rises smoothly to the third floor.

“Listen, will you tell her she’s got to keep her dog quiet? Other residents have been complaining. They say it must be the size of a small pony, but I’ve never seen her walk it. It wasn’t with her when she came in today, no.” The elevator opens onto a softly carpeted foyer that 302 shares with three other apartments. It’s tastefully appointed with dimly-lit sconces and a small table holding fresh flowers. There are four [edit] other doors in the foyer.

"Oh, gosh, I forgot to announce you. I hope she won't be cross. Well, I have to get back to studying – bar exam next month. Just ring for the elevator when you're done and I'll come back up for you.”
Langdon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Langdon »

[Can we hear this supposed dog as we get off the elevator?]

"Good luck on the exam. Remember, the answer to question 23 is always false." I smile and chuckle. "Shall we?" I reach to knock on 302.
FrankyEsposito
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by FrankyEsposito »

"Actually, I think I'll take the stairs -- I'm not too keen on crowded elevators." I'll give Dex a look, hoping he understands what I'm up to.
Gaffer,As soon as the elevator starts moving I'll dash out into the street and look for a "snazzy red car" and copy down the license plate. I just wish there were time to call it in...
[Edited to keep Franky's separate action separate.]
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Gaffer »

Franky,Looking up and down the street, you don't see any red cars. But there is the alley running down the side of 8 Thomas Street to another alley behind the building. You pass by the rear delivery door, noting that it's steel with no handle or lock, probablyly bolted from inside. In the alley, the fire escape ladder is well out of reach and probably secured by a latch (most are). Steep iron steps zig-zag from floor to floor, linking a series of catwalks serving each of the rear apartments, as well as a central door that must provide access from a hallway. Sure enough, there’s a red 1932 Ford Coupé parked in the alley with a New York license plate AYB-843 [color=#FF4000][Evidence Collection][/color]. A short, dark man in a cap is leaning against it. When he sees you, he turns and saunters off. [color=#FF4000][You can make a one-point Evidence Collection spend.][/color]
Delores Brown
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Delores Brown »

Delores stands in the corner of the elevator, head down, lost in her thoughts as it rises. She smiles wanly at the doorman as she leaves the elevator, wishing she could leave, not liking the sound of this dog the size of a pony. "The dog? You don't think it's the thing that left those marks, do you?"
Dexter Ford
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Dexter Ford »

He nods at the detective and then gets into the elevator with the others. He lets the bellman blather on a bit, nodding and harumphing here and there as appropriate. He files away the info that has been revealed.

Dex shakes his head at Delores' comment, but then he reaches inside his jacket and unfastens the strap on his shoulder holster and slowly removes the heavy revolver. He palms it against the back of his leg, as he walks with Delores towards the door. "Lets hope not...because if it is, we might be in a spot of trouble."

Return to “Find Him, Please (Trail of Cthulhu)”