IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Flynn/Kyle)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Flynn/Kyle)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 3:03 PM Central Time - Route 183, a few miles south of Holdrege, Nebraska
Jack Montrose sat on the roof of his RV, hugging his wife Emily and his daughter Lauren closely. The seven obviously insane people circled around the mobile home like sharks, reaching up in vain for the three hapless survivors on their little life raft. They had been stranded up there for hours now, with no sign of anyone else.

"I'm hungry," muttered Lauren.

Emily gave her a squeeze. "I know, honey," she said. "We're all hungry."

"So are they," said Jack glumly, glancing at the people trying to eat them. "Well, if we're going to go, at least we'll go together."

"We're not going to die here!" said Lauren defiantly. "Someone will come and rescue us!"

Emily didn't believe this, but she didn't have the heart to tell her daughter. Then a few gunshots echoed in the distance to the north.

"You see!" said Lauren excitedly. "There's someone back there who can help us! These guys don't use guns."

"I don't know," said Emily. "Whoever it is doesn't necessarily have our best interests at heart. They've got guns and we don't, so there's no telling what they could do to us. Maybe we should keep our voices down."

"And the alternative? We've got to call out to them, let them know we're up here!"

"Well, you've got a point," said Jack, "but I'm not sure. Maybe we should get a look at them first before we let them know we're here." He peered off to the north.

(Jack, Emily, and Lauren, roll Spot Hidden. If you do not have the skill on your character sheet, the base level for the skill is 25%.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack Montrose/Emily/Lauren)

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Jack held his hand above his eyes as he looked to the north, shielding them from the mid-afternoon sunlight that was still bright, but he detected no movement. Emily saw nothing either. "Maybe they're down on ground level," she suggested.

"Look!" said Lauren, pointing to the north. Her keen vision had picked out a tall man climbing over the guardrail on the eastern side of the highway, around two hundred yards from the RV. He wore a flight suit that looked vaguely military. He went over to the wrecked car nearest to him and began to rummage through it. "Should we call out to him?"

"I don't know," said Emily hesitantly. "Can we trust him?"

Jack said nothing, deep in thought.

"I think he's already seen us anyway," said Lauren.

The pilot pulled out some jumper cables from the wreckage, tied them together, then secured one end to the guardrail and let the other end drop below.

(Everyone, roll Know to identify what kind of uniform the man is wearing.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
As the Montrose family watched, the pilot started pulling at the cables, apparently trying to haul something up from below. In spite of his bulk, he wasn't having any success. Whatever it was, it had to be heavy.

"What is he doing?" Jack wondered aloud. Lauren shrugged.

"Maybe he's gone crazy like the others," said Emily.

"No, he's here to rescue us, I'm sure of it," said Lauren, excited. "Look, that's an Air National Guard uniform he's wearing!"

"But why is he out all by himself?" asked Emily. "What is he trying to pull up with him? None of this makes any sense. Whatever he's up to, I doubt he came up here to rescue us. Nobody even knows we're here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
After some more pulling, the Air National Guardsman succeeded in bringing up another man from below. This man had on a different military uniform and helmet. He looked Hispanic, with dark hair, and was a head or two shorter than his companion. He wore a white armband with a red cross on it, and he carried an M-4 carbine. The Montroses stood up and watched them.

"Maybe they didn't come here specifically to rescue us," said Lauren, "but now that they're here I'm sure they will."

(Everyone roll Know to try to identify the second man's uniform.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
"I ought to know what kind of uniform that other man's got on," said Lauren, "but I can't quite place it."

"I can't identify it either," said Lauren, "but they're both heading this way."

"It's a National Guard uniform," said Jack. "He's a medic. Wonder what these guys are doing together, and away from their units. I think there's an airfield nearby, which is probably where the pilot came from."

Lauren waved to the two men as they approached and smiled. "Please help us!" she called. "They've got us trapped up here!"

The two men, Senior Airman Harry Flynn and Private Julio Alvarez, came to within 30 yards of the RV and stopped.

(Flynn and Alvarez, you may both fire at the zombies for one round of combat. You may use your full skill, with only a -5% penalty for shooting at the head. Flynn may fire twice, providing both shots are at the same target. Alvarez may fire once. Flynn, you did have the opportunity to reload while you made your way towards the zombies. Let me know if you wanted to do so, and I'll edit your weapon list to reflect that.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Yes, i want to reload. If i spend some more time aiming, do i have any bonus?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(It doesn't really pay to take more time to aim than you already are. Using precision aim means that you double your base range, so you get to use your full skill at 30 yards instead of half skill. That means the bonus is already factored in. You can't normally get better than that, but precision aim also means that the point blank range is doubled. Usually you'd get to use double skill at 17 feet or less, but with precision aim this becomes 34 feet, or 11 1/3 yards. I don't think you want to get that close to the zombies, however. Your pistol is now fully loaded with an extra bullet in the chamber, so you can go ahead and take your two shots.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: I saw now the san: 36%! I must change my roleplay.

Flynn aimed and saw the first shot hit the head. He shot a second time but missed this time, cursing his bad luck.
-First Gardner, and now those morons!
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Re: IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Alvarez/Flynn)

Post by ryansommer »

" Be careful!" Emily shoted to the two men. "Something is wrong with them! You have to shoot their heads!"
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Alvarez was still moving a bit as he brought his M-4 up and fired. The shot missed and he hoped he had not hit anyone on top of the RV.

(OCC-Did I hit anyone on top of the RV and did I jam the M-4?)
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(It would take a 98 or higher to jam it, but you might have hit someone else. Alvarez, roll Luck.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Yeah, we know, they are infected, eat human flesh and they look horrible.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Alvarez's shot pinged harmlessly on the asphalt, and nobody was hurt. The seven zombies, however, turned to look at the sound of gunfire and started shambling towards Flynn and Alvarez. Six of them were advancing slowly, including the one Flynn had wounded. One, however, was moving very fast. It had already cleared most of the distance and would be upon them soon.

(The six walkers are another three rounds away after this one, but the runner will be able to attack this round after you shoot, if you choose to do so. There is no time to use precision aim, so if you fire you'll need to use random hit locations, but at least you won't have the -5% penalty for aiming at the head. Flynn may fire twice, but Alvarez may only shoot once. He may fire a burst, which gives him a +20% bonus to hit. If he does hit with it, roll 1d3 to see how many bullets hit and roll a separate random hit location on 1d20 and 2d8 damage for each one. If you roll an impale with the burst, only the first bullet does 4d8 damage and the others do 2d8 as normal. It will take a total of 50 damage overall or 10 damage to the head to finish the runner, but any hit to the head will slow it down. If either of you run away, roll Dex x 5. You may also attempt to Dodge as long as you don't attack, but your armor gives you a -10% penalty on this roll.

Only one of the people on the roof of the RV may climb down the ladder this round, without having to roll. If anyone tries to climb down without using the ladder, roll Climb, and if that fails roll Jump.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez switched his M-4 to burst setting and fired at the running zombie. He did really well. He saw that only the first bullet had hit the zombie. but that the bullet had hit the zombie in the left arm but had not done much damage that he could see. "Flynn you better hit that bad boy or we may turn on each other in a way neither of us will like."
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: Is there a roof vent on the RV that opens into the RV? Are the doors to the RV open or closed?)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(I'd have to say there isn't any vent they could climb through. If there had been, they would have used it already to access the interior of the RV. There's no moon roof or anything, and the exhaust vents are far too small, even for Lauren. Alvarez and Flynn do have the zombies' full attention, and they are already moving towards them, so you could safely climb down the ladder as long as you don't do anything as noisy as firing a gun. The RV's door itself is open, but you'd have to climb down to get in.

Also, the walkers will reach them in three rounds including the current one, not in addition to it. They already closed 1/4 of the distance in the previous round.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn was with luck and hit the creature in the left leg hurting her.
He hit again, this time in the left arm and made moderate damage.
-Run, Alvarez!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(That first hit was a critical, so go ahead and roll an additional 1d10 damage for it. Once you do that and I get a post for Emily, I'll post the next update.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”