IC: Scene 7a - Campsite Revisited, June 7th

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

IC: Scene 7a - Campsite Revisited, June 7th

Post by amarriner »

The Campsite
Tuesday June 7th, 1927 10:30am

After spending about an hour at the Sanitarium, Jack and Gregory grab a cab (courtesy of Saltonstall) and head back to the campsite. It takes them a little bit to get out of town and a few more minutes to hike the half mile to the actual site. Once there they find that the police have still left the tent here. No other people are here, though, so Jack and Gregory are alone. The hole where the bodies were found still lies a little up the shore. No crows are around today ...

The mighty Miskatonic River rushes by back in the direction of Arkham. Its waters are still receding somewhat from the rains, but it's flowing rapidly.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
justinhorner
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: IC: Scene 7a - Campsite Revisited, June 7th

Post by justinhorner »

Jack Roberts
Well, things appear to be a bit quieter, so maybe now we can actually have a good look around.

Jack heads first to the tent, takes a look inside, and (if uneventful) proceeds to the hole where the bodies were found.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
Gregory is uneasy about being back, and decides to look more at the edges of the campsite and such, avoiding the hole bodies were in if at all possible.

We got out here in a rush, but Gregory, would definitely bring his gun again like the day before, especially with the finger ripping crows about...
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Jack pops his head in the tent for a moment and gives it a once-over. His state yesterday was such that he wasn't much in the mood for investigation. Today he can concentrate better. No crows--yet, anyway--and no one else except Gregory. The tent, though, gives up no secrets, and doesn't appear to hold any clues. He has no idea why the police left it here, but it doesn't seem to be important.

Moving on to the makeshift grave, he doesn't have much more luck here, either. Wet sand is about all he can find. The thought of a living person being buried here and then a dead person buried on top makes him shiver. Who was that other person, anyway? he wonders to himself. Guess we'll try to figure that out later.

Gregory, on the other hand, avoids the tent and the hole altogether. He's had his fill of those things yesterday and doesn't really care to look at them again. Instead he focuses on the shore of the river, and the forest line. He does one quick circuit of the general campsite area, and proceeds on a second circuit a little slower this time.

The river still runs quickly to the southeast, back towards Arkham. As he's walking north along the edge of the river--giving wide berth to the "grave"--he sees the broken down bridge Detective Stuckey mentioned yesterday up on Bowen Road. They hadn't noticed it yesterday with all the commotion. He can't see the western side of the bridge because it's obscured by the trees, but he can see the other side. Of course the middle is missing because it's collapsed, but he can barely make out a stone pillar in the middle of the river that must have been the support for bridge before it fell.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
justinhorner
Layman
Layman

Post by justinhorner »

Jack Roberts

Walks over towards Greg

Well, Greg, looks like I'm coming up with a big donut hole full of clues here. So much for my vaunted investigative expertise. Say, what's that bridge you're looking at? THAT'S something new. Let's go take a closer look.

Jack has Gregory come with him as he heads towards the bridge landing on our side of the Ol Misk
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Jack and Greg (assuming he's coming along) walk for about 5 minutes north along the bank of the mighty Miskatonic up to the spot where the bridge is. Or perhaps more accurately, where the bridge was. They can now see the western side of the bridge since they're closer. It juts out over the river about twelve feet above where they are. The Miskatonic narrows a bit here and is probably only 100 feet or so wide. The water still runs fairly swiftly here. The stone pillar Greg saw is more plainly visible. It looks to be in pretty bad shape. Old, crumbly and not able to hold much of anything up.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
amarriner wrote:Jack and Greg (assuming he's coming along) walk for about 5 minutes north along the bank of the mighty Miskatonic up to the spot where the bridge is. Or perhaps more accurately, where the bridge was. They can now see the western side of the bridge since they're closer. It juts out over the river about twelve feet above where they are. The Miskatonic narrows a bit here and is probably only 100 feet or so wide. The water still runs fairly swiftly here. The stone pillar Greg saw is more plainly visible. It looks to be in pretty bad shape. Old, crumbly and not able to hold much of anything up.
Interesting old bridge, that pillar looks really old. I wonder how long it has been here.
Do I need a History roll, or would common local knowledge cover this?
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Samuel wrote:Do I need a History roll, or would common local knowledge cover this?
Mmm, good call. Both roll History, please. :)
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Just going to wait to see how Gregory's History roll turns out before I post. :)
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

amarriner wrote:Just going to wait to see how Gregory's History roll turns out before I post. :)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1593724/
77, don't know nothing.

Sorry on delay, stupid real life intruding on my fun...
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Jack stands and stares at the bridge for a few silent moments as if trying hard to remember something about it. Greg starts to ask him what he's thinking, but before he can do so Jack pops out of his trance.

I don't remember exactly, but I think there was an article in the Advertiser a month or so ago about this bridge burning. Or was it in the Gazette? No, I'm pretty sure it was the Advertiser. I don't recall the specifics, but something about a name change and ... lightning?

That's about all Jack can recall from memory. He hadn't paid the article much attention at the time.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
amarriner wrote:Jack pops out of his trance.

I don't remember exactly, but I think there was an article in the Advertiser a month or so ago about this bridge burning. Or was it in the Gazette? No, I'm pretty sure it was the Advertiser. I don't recall the specifics, but something about a name change and ... lightning?
Lightning, hmmm....wasn't Atwater rambling about lightning? Coincidence, I guess, this spot must be prone to lightning.
We should keep looking around.
justinhorner
Layman
Layman

Post by justinhorner »

If we can;t figure it our from our familiarity with Arkham, I'd say the following

I think the real question isn't about the bridge, but what's on the other side. You have any familiarity with that Greg? It may be worth checking out
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
justinhorner wrote:If we can;t figure it our from our familiarity with Arkham, I'd say the following

I think the real question isn't about the bridge, but what's on the other side. You have any familiarity with that Greg? It may be worth checking out
I think that bridge goes into Bowen Road, and then back into town. If we can't find out anything else here, we might as well take that way back just to look around. Maybe the boys used it to get out here, it is a quicker route.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Neither Greg nor Jack can think of anything significant on the other side of the bridge. From what Jack recalls the bridge was quite old and not in use much these days. There may have even been something about that in the Advertiser article. They don't think there's much but forest and a few streams on the other side of the bridge.
justinhorner
Layman
Layman

Post by justinhorner »

Jack Roberts

OK, Greg, that sounds like a grand idea. We should be getting back anyway for our date with the reporter at the Gazette. Maybe after, we can take a quick swing by the Advertiser to get more on this bridge.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
justinhorner wrote:OK, Greg, that sounds like a grand idea. We should be getting back anyway for our date with the reporter at the Gazette. Maybe after, we can take a quick swing by the Advertiser to get more on this bridge.
Alright, let's go.
Greg will be looking about closely for any sign of the boys and anything else unusual (such as murderous crows).
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

The two have to walk back to where they left the cab as get the cabbie to drive back out Cabot Rd, up the Aylesbury Pike a bit further north and then back onto Bowen Rd to the fallen bridge. He relents, knowing he'll be paid, and picks the two back up there. As he drives them back into town, Greg and Jack see a lot of trees and forest, but not too much else.

Where are you guys headed? I know you mentioned going to one of the papers here and in another thread, but just wanted to check if you wanted to stop off anywhere first.
justinhorner
Layman
Layman

Post by justinhorner »

Unless something is of interest along the way, we're off to the Gazette to find the reporter who did the original stories on the disappearance

Return to “The Condemned”