Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Alrik wakes up suddenly on a stone tiled floor atop a massive white bear skin stretching over 15 ft in length. His clothes are wet but a fire burns bright and hot beside him, casting eerie shadows on the 30 ft high ceiling. The room is larger than the light affords and the fire does little to light the chamber as lines of massive white pillars of solid marble continue into the darkness in either direction, surrounding them like vigilant soldiers. The pillars are thick enough that two men linking hands could not line its circumference.

Some of his fellow Vikings lie sleeping on the floor on various comfortable skins of their own. Osvauld, Weoulf, Berger, Orm, Sigfurd and Torvog the Jailer all look very peaceful in their own private slumbers with their armor placed carefully at their side and their weapons lined neatly in front of them.

Off in the distance, the sound of a harp echoes through the columns. The music suddenly, but peacefully, awakens everyone around the fire. Alrik hears the music first. A song he had never heard before, whose notes were so clear and simple and beautiful, he was surprised he had never composed it himself. No one at the fire can tell what direction the music is coming from.

ooc – Just a reminder in case everyone has forgotten.

Alrik - The Bard… and an apprentice to Melkorka (The hag)
Osvauld is second in command and personal advisor to Captain Gunharr
Torvog - The jailer
Orm - Friends with Weolf Ingvar and Sigfurd but seems more estranged since the loss of his wife Sif. He has recently been seen speaking in hushed corners with Osvauld and Captain Gunharr.
Sigfurd – A wealthy Icelandic nobleman who joined the Viking campaigns in hopes of quenching his thirst for adventure. Identified by Melkorka as a chosen one
Weoulf – Little is known of Weoulf other than his friendship with the brute Ingvar, Sigfurd and Orm. Identified by Melkorka as a chosen one
Berger – Once a proud Viking warrior; now little more than a hopeless drunken lout. Identified by Melkorka as a chosen one.

ooc - OK….. GO!
G-Dizzle
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 16 years

Re: Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Post by G-Dizzle »

Berger begins to move slowly and rhythmically beneath his bear robe.

"Mmmmmm, Sedna." He murmurs, a blissful smile on his face.

He rolls back and forth, moaning and murmuring that same woman's name over and over.

Finally he lets out a grunt and a gasp, then opens his eyes. The blissful look on his face turns into a confused frown.

He sits up and looks around. "Alrik." He grunts in greeting, then scrubs his hand through his damp hair.

He sees his armor next to him and decides to get up and strap it on.
Huh.......?
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Piano man »

Alrik walks around the room taking in his surroundings. Seeing the others stir he immediately snaps to attention. Tilting his head he acknowledges Berger. Men rise and strap on your armor. I don't know where we are, but it can't be good. The last thing I remember. Alrik grows silent as he reflects on what happened, but only for a moment. He shudders and carries on. Well that doesn't matter right now. What matters is that we take control of the situation. Alrik looks around for weapons, and silently brings a song to mind just in case.
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by imme »

Osvauld slowly opens his eyes. He sits up and thoughtfully considers the room and those around him. He runs a hand over his damp clothes and says, "I imagine I wouldn't be wet if I were dead. But we should find our hosts." He stands and puts on his armor, but seems oddly peaceful considering what happened to their boat.

"Alrik, what happened to the witch?"
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik looks around some more before answering Osvauld. It's hard to say, but I'm sure she's still alive. Oh how I hope I'm wrong. That soulless harpy would look good on the tusk of a narwhale. What's important now is that we rouse the men and be prepared for whatever has brought us here. We have not lost yet.
G-Dizzle
Layman
Layman

Post by G-Dizzle »

After strapping on his armor, Berger begins to look around a bit, attempting to see into the dark past the pillars.

"Where in Helheim are we?" He grumbles as he wanders around. "And more importantly, do they have anything to drink around here. I'm fuckin' parched."
Huh.......?
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

"Did the narwhales bring you here? What did you last see of the witch? As unsavory as she is, she was brought along with us for a reason." Osvauld begins moving around, waking those men who are still asleep.
G-Dizzle
Layman
Layman

Post by G-Dizzle »

Still nosing around, Berger responds to Osvauld's questions.

"The only thing those damned whales brought me was a hard time. Almost killed one of 'em, then I got.....er, distracted." He said with a lewd grin. "I have no fuckin' clue how I got here. Anybody else remember? More importantly, anyone got a flask on 'em? Mine's empty."
Huh.......?
mikc
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by mikc »

Weoulf gets slowly to his feet, clutching his head which is ringing like Hel`s own bell.

"Where the fuck are we? If this is Valhalla, well I didn`t expect to arrive with such a cunt of a headache! Nor to have to share it with you bastards! If we`re alive, well the first thing I could use is a drink. Water, mead, I don`t care! I have a taste in my mouth like all the fish in this godforsaken dump shat in it at once!"

Groaning and cursing further, he begins to strap on his armour while looking round in the vain hope of finding liquid refreshment.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik rounds on the men as they wake up, and gives them a look that would make a weak man cry. Listen you useless heaps of shit. Keep your voices down and use your fucking heads. Just because we aren't on a battle field doesn't mean we aren't fighting a war. If any of you cunts doesn't fall in line I'll personally make sure that that heinous witch has her way with you. Weoulf, I'm sure your ass still hurts from your last encounter with Melkorka. Alrik levels his gaze at everyone of them making sure they are taking in what he says. Now let's regroup and find whatever manner of creature runs this place and make them wish they had never laid eyes on us.
G-Dizzle
Layman
Layman

Post by G-Dizzle »

Berger laughs loudly and slaps his knees at Weoulf's tirade as he woke up.

Berger keeps on laughing all the way through Alrik's pep-talk, until finally, he leans back against one of the pillars, wiping the tears from his eyes, his laughter winding down into a few hiccups.
Huh.......?
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Osvauld grins at the bard. "A good speech, boy, and you're right to remind the men that we're not in a safe situation, but how about we find out who has us and what they want before things get bloody. If they really wanted us dead, they could have just left us to drown." He goes to kick the last few men awake.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik approaches Osvauld, and speaks for all to hear. It is true that they kept us alive, but think of what we do know. They sank our ship and killed many of our crewman. It is obvious that they did not invite us here for tea. Alrik leans in and speak in a lowered voice for only Osvauld to hear. And if you ever call me boy again I'll show you why our people fear my magic. The Captain answered to Melkorka and only she stands higher than me. So you will show me respect, and I in turn will treat you with the same. It will do no good for our men to see us bickering with, and insulting each other.

imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Osvauld calmly looks at Alrik for a moment. "Excuse me, I meant no offense. My age creeps up on me sometimes." He looks once more around the cavernous room. "Can you tell which way to go? Or do you think they'll be along shortly?"
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik put a hand on Osvauld's shoulder. No it is I who should apologize my friend. I have been around that witch too long and it's starting to have an effect on my personality. Alrik surveys the room once again with a glance. If any of you men are hurt come see me now before we start out.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Henrik »

Orm wakes with a jolt and looks for his weapon. When he discovers that he is no longer in the belly of a whale. He smiles: "I was swallowed by a killer whale, so I must be dead. This can not be Hel, we must be in the halls of Valhalla! Let's go and greet Odin!" Orm gets up on his feet. Perhaps there is a chance. Perhaps she is here as well!
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sigfurd wakes, clutching his chest and screaming

Ingvar!

He quickly jumps to his feet and looks around at his fellow Vikings strapping their armour on.

He undoes the ties on his damp shirt and inspects his chest.

It’s gone! That bloody horned whale ran me right through….. But now… Like it never even happened….

Sigfurd seems to be having a difficult time adjusting to his surrounding. His friends Orm and Weoulf know Sigfurd as a nobleman's son and though adventurous, he always needed some babying through the really hard times. He takes a deep breath as Alrik gives his speech taking some comfort in the fact that somebody still had their wits about them. WHen he was finished he lowers his voice as instructed...

Weoulf, Thank Odin! I thought you were dead for sure when that lightning hit… Did you guys see that light in the water?

Torvog follows Alrik’s lead as well, backing him up with his usual supportive back talk.

You heard the bard ladies. There will be plenty of drink once we get the hell out of here and catch up with our boys on board the Icebreaker…

The musical melody continues... playing itself over and over in an eerie sort of loop.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Once everyone is up and armored Alrik raises a hand to silence everyone for a moment. That song, it's beautiful and haunting at the same time. Where is it coming from. Alrik looks around the room for a door or window that they can escape from. Ok men it's time to screw your courage to the sticking place. Let's keep our heads and watch each others backs. Grab anything that can be used as a weapon, and let's try to find our way out of here.

ooc do we see our weapons anywhere.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Henrik »

Orm gathers what belongings he can find and gets ready to follow the others, rather impatiently. He is eager to explore this new place which might be the only place he has longed, Valhalla!
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

ooc: We have our weapons, they were next to our beds when we woke up.

Osvauld eyes the troops, making sure nobody is recklessly forgetting to buckle their armor, or is leaving some gear behind.

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”