IC - 28 - The Big Smoke - Simon and Jocelyn

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC - 28 - The Big Smoke - Simon and Jocelyn

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn gently wakes Simon and quietly fills him in so as not to wake Kris. "My guess is they won't leave until morning, but we have to make sure," she says. "It wouldn't surprise me if they try to sneak her out before dawn. If there's nothing you need to tell me, I have to catch forty winks. Well, 27. I've missed a third of the night."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Ever inconsiderate, Simon makes enough noise waking up that he may wake up Kris.

"I suppose we can continue to watch. As soon as they move her, we pounce. Honestly it may not even be that hard. Even if we pull them over for spurious reasons, if they're late to the end of the world Balfour may find himself having to cancel it." He doubts it will be that easy, but he is trying to be optimistic. "I will take over from here." He assures her.

A mean GM might have Simon, unaccustomed to stakeouts, roll his CON here to stay awake.

Are you a mean GM? ;)
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Simon: Well now you've suggested it, yes, yes I think I am. Roll CON. And who knows how well you'll all function tomorrow!
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100

Simon starts to keep watch, yawns, and promptly falls asleep.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Simon knows this stakeout is a waste of time and he struggles to keep focused on the house. His mind wandering to ever more elaborate fantasies about how he would single-handedly foil Balfour, particularly after Kris's frankly rude comments about how much noise he was making. The next thing he knows he's sitting slumped in the car and several hours seem to have passed. Glancing around, everyone else seems to be asleep and the house is still in darkness.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Silver Priest wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:31 am Ever inconsiderate, Simon makes enough noise waking up that he may wake up Kris.

"I suppose we can continue to watch. As soon as they move her, we pounce. Honestly it may not even be that hard. Even if we pull them over for spurious reasons, if they're late to the end of the world Balfour may find himself having to cancel it." He doubts it will be that easy, but he is trying to be optimistic. "I will take over from here." He assures her.
OOC:   Can we retcon this bit and have Kris tell Simon he’s being a selfish tit before rolling over and going back to sleep? 😴😉  
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC:  
Philulhu wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:14 pmCan we retcon this bit and have Kris tell Simon he’s being a selfish tit before rolling over and going back to sleep? 😴😉
Of course, my post amended. Now Simon's asleep and pissed off.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC:   Awesome, thanks! 🤣  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Simon is an acquired taste. Sadly for him, most people seem to be picky eaters. :D  
Waking with a jolt, Simon checks his phone. His eyes widen when he realizes that he may have rested his eyes slightly longer than he had intended.

Everything still stood dark, so he felt reasonably confident Louise and her daughter remained within. Probably. He'd surely have awoken had they left the house.

He shakes Kris awake, still annoyed with him but wanting to play nice given his slight miscalculation. "Time for your watch. I saw nothing unusual." he says truthfully.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris yawned and stretched. ”What time is it?” he asked quietly, trying not to disturb Jocelyn.

He peered out of the car window, blinking sleepily as he studied the house for lights or signs of movement.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon, as casually as he can, gives the time.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kris thinks it seems a little later than they'd planned for Simon to wake him up but it's still dark and there's no sign of anything from the house. The streets are deserted but he knows it'll only be an hour or two before people start getting up and setting off for work.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris wasn’t coming about a extra few minutes of shut-eye. He stretched again and craned his neck, checking the streets around the car for any signs of anything out of the ordinary, and, more importantly, somewhere he could sneak off and take a leak!
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The street look pretty dead. It's probably quiet enough for him to discretely relieve himself behind a car.

I think that's a Stealth roll with a bonus die to take a leak without being seen.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Stealth (27%) 1d100
Bonus die (1d10) 1d10

Feeling very much refreshed, Kris returned to the car, glancing up and down the street before resuming his position.

Spot hidden (40%) 1d100
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Getting back into the car, practically a new man, Kris begins to watch the house again. It remains dark. But along the street lights are coming on, cars are pulling out onto the road, and the city is slowly coming to life. Eventually after what must be forty minutes or more a light flicks on in the house upstairs. Then after another ten minutes or so other lights are coming on. By now the road is becoming busier. Pedestrians are passing by. And people are hurrying to work.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris kept watching the house, waiting to see if anyone emerged.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

After maybe thirty minutes the front door of the house opens and Louise comes out with a child, ten or eleven years old perhaps. She looks dressed for school in a blue uniform and carrying a backpack. The two of them are chatting and turn left out of the house, walking along the pavement. In the house someone is looking out the window into the street but it is difficult to see them.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris shook the other two awake. ”We’ve got movement! Louisa’s just left the house with the girl!” he hissed.

”Someone’s still in the house - I couldn’t see who that was!”

Can we be observed from the house?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC:   You've had all night to position yourselves so I'd say you've found a place that the inhabitants of the house can't easily see. Roll a Spot Hidden to know who's in there.  

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”