Ch.1 Rescue Plan

October 1986. Contact with Exxon Pumping Station #31 in British Columbia has been lost and a rescue team has been assembled.

The environmental activist group, North Wind, had threatened to bring operations to a halt. Could they be behind this sudden communication failure, or is something else going on?

Moderator: Philulhu

BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Re: Ch.1 Rescue Plan

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Nothing much I can do but look at the sky. Gavin props himself up, checking out their new surroundings. Does he notice anything out of the ordinary?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

That would call for a Spot Hidden roll.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Wasn't sure if it was Spot Hidden or Natural World. Worth spending the luck to make it a hard success?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

No, regular success is fine. PM incoming.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Snapper »

Randy is very careful to make sure no one and nothing gets into the tent before he's ready to start the Gavin repair job.

"We'll try to keep this as sterile as we can until I'm finished patching up our buddy here."

He looks over at Amanda. "Boss, I'm afraid you'll have to pull bear guarding duty. I'll be busy for probably the next hour."

Finally, Randy looks over at the plane wreck exploitation team. "If anyone sees my cassette tapes, I'd be very grateful."

(Unless something Gavin sees demand urgent attention...)

With that, Randy will carefully assist Gavin into the tent, trying hard to keep the dirt out. Then he follows in himself with the advanced first aid kit and gets to work patching, straightening, and stitching.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

'What the...?! Gavin blurts out, pushing himself upright from the pillar, raising his hand to his eyes, saying to anyone who can hear. "I hope the other guys hurry back, because i don't know id I'm arill in ahock or this weather is playing tricks with ma eyes, because if i didnt know any better i could've sworn i just saw a polar bear.....which i know is kinda impossible...especially one walking on its hind legs.....sure could do with a slig of whiskey....or anything..."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"First whisky I find, it's yours. But if you're seeing polar bears, not browns or blacks, maybe you hit that head a bit harder than you think. Alcohol may not help in that case. Anyway, let the sewing up begin."

"Boss, we'll leave the bear watch to you."

Randy assists Gavin into the tent, careful to keep the dirt and grime out. He has the advanced first aid kit ready to go.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

As Gavin’s already had first aid, I’m not planning to give back any more hp. It will eliminate any potential infection or complications, however.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"I'll hold ya to that, and none of that cheap gut rot either!" Gavin says smiling. "Could've sworn i saw something though, maybe staff from the pumping station in snow gear?"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

There is a separate Medicine skill in 7th Ed that reads like it can be used after First Aid has been used. Takes an hour etc. But if you rule that it's not applicable here, all good.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ok. What do you expect to achieve with it? As the ankle is broken, the only real fix is a cast.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

I had perhaps wrongly assumed that the 11 HP that Gavin lost represented various bits of damage to his whole body, sprains, fractures, open wounds, internal bleeding, probably concussion, the works. So the Medicine roll would have been to pressure bandage the sprains, immobilise the other fractures where possible, sew up the bleedy bits etc.

However, if the whole of the damage is in fact focused on the ankle, there won't be much more that Randy can do, as you say. People die from bad leg breaks, especially when blood loss occurs. All good! :D

(And given Randy's not so great Medicine skill, there's a good chance he wouldn't succeed anyway.)
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Gavin is fine with what anyone wants to do. He'd try anything to at least be upright[ so he feels his less of a hindrance to the group. :D /Spoiler-Button]
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Righty ho. Gavin will have taken other damage as a result of his descent sans rope, so Medicine could be used to treat that. I was under the impression you were going to reset his ankle (which you don’t have the equipment for) so that’s why I wanted to check what you hoped to achieve.

I’ll allow the Medicine roll but Gavin won’t recover any further hp beyond that until his ankle’s set and he can rest up. As you have tents, you have cover from the elements but you have no heating, beds, etc. so not ideal conditions for recovery.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Spoiler:
👍

1d%d40%

Nope. Fail. :(  

Randy did his best to clean, bandage, sew up etc, but there was a limit to his Scout and Medic training, and it turned out Gavin was past that limit.

"Sorry, Gavin, you will need treatment in hospital sooner or later."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Letting out a resigned sigh, Gavin says " Cheers for trying pal, much appreciated the effort. Ya owe me a whole bottle of whiskey now..."
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Amanda did the bear guard duty.
OOC:   Sorry for not answering for a while, have been out traveling between continents  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Joajackson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:08 am
OOC:   Sorry for not answering for a while, have been out traveling between continents  
OOC:   All good!  

Somewhat frustrated with his inability to do more to help Gavin, Randy erected the second tent in a sheltered spot.

Is there anything remotely flammable about that's not covered in snow and ice?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

You can try a spot hidden.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%pHdd50%

Success.  

Randy scanned the area, thinking this was going to be a miserable night if they couldn't start a fire.

Return to “The Pipeline”