Ch.1 Rescue Plan

October 1986. Contact with Exxon Pumping Station #31 in British Columbia has been lost and a rescue team has been assembled.

The environmental activist group, North Wind, had threatened to bring operations to a halt. Could they be behind this sudden communication failure, or is something else going on?

Moderator: Philulhu

Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Re: Ch.1 Rescue Plan

Post by Joajackson »

Amanda stayed last, to wait for everyone else to go down, before taking her turn.

"Be careful, we dont want anyone to die yet."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

At his turn Gavin gingerly makes his way to the edge.
  :shock: and plunges to an icy grave.....  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Amanda had no sooner finished speaking when Gavin levered himself over the edge, only to find that ice wall offered him very little in the way of purchase! He grabbed for the rope and missed, and felt himself suddenly plummeting down the ice face, completely out of control…

Ooh, that’s not good…

Can you give me a Jump roll (35%) to try to mitigate the damage?
Lost_King
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 9 months

Post by Lost_King »

I’m not sure whether Gavin was wearing the harness, but I’m assuming that he wasn’t, since he fell, which shouldn’t happen with the climbing equipment. If he was, that changes my plan significantly.

Harold looks over the edge with a deeply concerned look on his face. “Oh dear. He wasn’t wearing the harness, was he? That can’t be good.”

“I’m up next. I’ll tie the harness to the rope when I’m down, so you can pull it up and use it for the next person.”

Harold steps into the harness, tightens it around his waist, and hooks the sticht plate to the rope, attaching it to his harness with the carabiner. “I hope I’m doing this right. Wish me luck.”

climb 20%

1d100

Fail  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Gavin takes a sharp intake of icy cold air....
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  As he plummeted off the edge Gavin thought 'Maybe i should have grabbed the rope before i descended....'  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Snapper »

Shivering uncontrollably, desperate to get off the ice, and equally desperate to get down to the presumed patients below, Randy clambered into the harness with practised ease. With one last hacking, horrendous wheezing and coughing fit, he set off down the cliff.

1d%L60%

Extreme success!!  
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

Boyd: climb 25%
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Was that a second 100?

Edit: I can see that it was. Oh dear… 😬
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Yes.....Yes it was....... :D
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Amanda’s climb roll (30%) 1d100

Please advise if you wish to spend two points of Luck to make that a success. A successful roll means that you won’t take any damage on the way down.

Gavin’s fall had shaken everyone. He’d been the first over the edge but whether it was the cold, delayed shock from the crash or something else, he’d somehow mis-tied the rope and had plummeted thirty feet to the floor, where he landed with a sickening crunch!

Randy had followed him down, successfully this time, but the others who came after him found the descent more difficult, all getting hurt as they came down.

For those who failed their climb rolls, you will take damage as you descend from bumping into the ice, banging against rocks outcropping from the ice wall, or scraping against the wall itself.

I can’t roll a 1d3 on the dice roller so please divide the following results by 2 and round up:

Ben - (1d3) - 1d6
Harald- (1d3) 1d6
Boyd - (1d3) 1d6
Amanda - (1d3)* 1d6

*Dependent upon your Luck spend.

With a double critical failure, he falls 30 feet. The damage taken is 1d6 per 10 feet drop and he has 12 HP so he could survive. Let’s see… 3d6

He survived! Albeit with a major wound. Please roll against Gavin’s CON to see if he remains conscious.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Well you were right....it was surviveable.....1 hp left :lol: .....gotta be some broken bones......  
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

OOC:   I wont use luck, 1 HP isnt that bad. Also, 11damage is a critical wound, isnt it?  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I reckon one broken ankle and one either dislocated or badly sprained, as well as multiple scratches and contusions.

Did you see my note about the CON roll. I may have added it after you read my post.

It is indeed a major wound.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Can i get three 100's.....

OOC:   Hard Success!!! Thecurse is lifted.....for now.  
Gavin screams in pain as he feels his ankle buckle and shatter as he smashes in to the icy ground. Miraculously remaining conscious.  

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Don't the rest of us get to roll Jump to land without taking damage?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Snapper »

Wide eyed, with injured people all around him, Randy took a careful 360° look about. At the same time, he almost seemed to be thinking out loud.

"Medical Rover Scout's first rule of first aid. Check for ongoing danger. What wants to kill us?"

"Second rule, work with a partner. Benjamin, you said you're ex-military. I assume you're fairly well trained in first aid?"

"And did everyone hear that scream earlier? Not Gavin, someone away from us."

OOC:   Is the current environment sort of safe enough to start first aid?

7th Ed allows for a second person to attempt first aid on the same patient at same time. If either first aider succeeds, job done and patient gets 1 HP back. Can Randy and Benjamin - or whoever assists - just make all the rolls for all the PCs in one big block?  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Apologies, Mr Handy is correct. If you make a successful Jump roll you can avoid damage.

I’m not sure why I remembered it for Gavin and promptly forgot for everyone else… 😬

It appears safe for now, and yes, up to two people can attempt First Aid, with a success for either one resulting in the recovery of one whole hit point. For quickness, I don’t mind if one person makes both rolls but whoever has the best skills may feel their moment to shine has been taken away from them (conversely, they can point the finger of blame elsewhere, if someone else fails their roll…)

I don’t know if anyone has Medicine but a successful roll for that recovers 1d3 hp.

Snow covered the ground at the foot of the ice wall, stretching away in front of them to the frozen Stikine river, on the far side of which could be seen the Exxon pipeline.

Of more immediate concern was Gavin, who lay on his back, his legs splayed out in front of him on the icy ground. Even wearing heavy boots and waterproof clothes, it was clear that both ankles were in a bad way, particularly the left one, that had flopped at a 90 degree angle to his leg…
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Philulhu wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:53 am
Apologies, Mr Handy is correct. If you make a successful Jump roll you can avoid damage.

I’m not sure why I remembered it for Gavin and promptly forgot for everyone else… 😬
  You were probaly just in awe at my amazing Wily Coyote descent homage....  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

It certainly was a distraction! 😏
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

"Ouch!"- says Boyd.
He looked at his ankle and was preparing to start complaining when he saw some of his companions in must worst shape.

Return to “The Pipeline”