The Incident Room: General Chat

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

SaintMeerkat
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Re: The Incident Room: General Chat

Post by SaintMeerkat »

I will be travelling July 18th-July 31st. My current plan is to continue to post during that period, but this could affect my posting frequency.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

Sorry folks, another busy week. I’ll update when I can :)
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Snapper »

👍
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Nae worries :D
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Feel free to chat and roleplay among yourselves in the meantime :)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

I’ll use the time to try to nail Des’ accent. I’m currently trying a mix of Jamaican patois and text speak…
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 6 months

Post by Trivun »

A few days after the investigation into one Karl Chichester's death had concluded, Izzy was home with Alice enjoying a few relaxing days off. It wasn't often she got to take time away from the Folly for any extended period, so she was determined to make the most of it. Of course, she had paid a follow-up visit to the garden centre after the investigation was done, being on the hunt for one thing in particular...

She was in the kitchen area of the open-plan main room, washing up after a date night pasta dinner, while Alice lay sprawled across the sofa with a book, yet another band t-shirt this time declaring her love for Driftwood Drive, brown hair lying messily on the cushions. In the background, a music mix played through Alexa, before the soft indie tunes were disturbed by a call from a melodic voice.

"Izzy? You know that plant you picked up the other day?"

Putting down the plate she was currently scrubbing clean, Izzy stepped over and took a furtive glance at the plant in its pot on the sideboard nearest the front door, before looking back to Alice.

"Um, I know of it... why?"

"Just wondered what it actually was. Because I'm pretty sure your cat is doing things that, if you saw a human doing, you would have to arrest them for."

Both women turned and stared at Freya as she lay on the floor, in front of the TV unit, where the tiny ball of black and white fluff started out by lying on her back, all four paws up in the air, perfectly still. Before either of them could say or do anything else, Freya slowly began to roll onto her side, then onto her front, and all the way over onto her back once more. Her tongue poked out a little, and her paws began to clutch at the air above her, as if trying to grab at a mouse floating high. A few more seconds, and she let out the longest and most satisfying meow that Izzy had ever heard any cat attempt, ever. This pattern repeated a couple of times, and as they watched, Freya appeared to be having the most relaxed and yet incoherent time of her life.

"Well? Anything you want to admit?" Alice's expression gave absolutely nothing away, and at that moment in time, there was no way Izzy would have challenged her to a game of poker. At least Izzy herself had the decency to look somewhat embarrassed.

"It's not what it looks like..." Izzy began, half-heartedly, struggling to keep a straight face.

"Come on, Izz. I've met your brother."

The perils of having a brother who enjoyed weed. Since joining the Met, Izzy tended to call him well ahead before visiting her brother's place so he had time to make sure she had nothing to arrest him for on arrival. At least it wasn't ever anything harder.

"I mean, it's perfectly fine, cats love that stuff. I just... thought it'd be funny."

In all fairness, Alice couldn't argue with that assessment. She kept the stone-face façade up for as long as she could, before breaking down into a fit of giggles, swiftly followed by Izzy, as they abandoned their respective activities, and cuddled up on the sofa, to watch Freya as high as the birds she dreamed of catching...
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

If Skipper's motor-mouthed wide-boy chatter is getting annoying, it can be dialed down.
Trivun
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 6 months

Post by Trivun »

I'm fine with it myself, thought it made for an amusing interlude, that's why Izzy didn't say anything but thought something instead after it had already been dealt with by others :D
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

It’s all good - I just get a little nervous when PC’s start arguing about racial stereotyping. Stop being such good roleplayers! :D
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OK, but in my defence, Skipper's comment was not meant to be about or because of racial stereotyping (and I'm Australian so the ethnic heritage of Londoners is an abstract concept to me). Skipper's comment was based on an entirely spurious and unsupported assumption that Des lives on a diet of junk food and potato crisps because she's a London street urchin, not because of race but because London has street urchins and she appears to be one. And Des is fun to poke because Des fires back.

That said, I shall do my best to avoid race issues from now on. Forgive my defensiveness but around here, being accused of being rascist is a good way to get suspended / sacked from your employment.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

For the record, I certainly wasn’t accusing any players of racism! Maybe I was making a mountain out of a molehill, for which I apologise.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

👍
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I didn’t take it as racist. I was just playing Des as overly prickly 😬
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

I'm very pleased to hear that! And Des does do excellent spiky-energy. 👍

Right, let's go find the giant carnivorous plants.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Sorry for my silence folks - another busy week! I’ll post an update when I can.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

No problem. Life gets in the way sometimes!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

jp1885 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:27 pm Sorry for my silence folks - another busy week! I’ll post an update when I can.
That's fine, I understand. If you do have time again later, would you be interested in taking over the character of Brook again in my game? Her player has been very busy too and hasn't had time to play.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:44 pm
jp1885 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:27 pm Sorry for my silence folks - another busy week! I’ll post an update when I can.
That's fine, I understand. If you do have time again later, would you be interested in taking over the character of Brook again in my game? Her player has been very busy too and hasn't had time to play.
I’d love to mate, but I can’t devote any more time to gaming than I do already. Work is will-sappingly busy at the moment!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I understand, and I know the feeling. If things ever ease up, the offer remains open.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Rivers of London”