Strathmorn (everyone)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Strathmorn (everyone)

Post by Philulhu »

Dr Douglas (24) 1d100
Father Ó Shaban (50) 1d100
Bonnie (40) 1d100
Ascot (30) 1d100

Strathmorn Hotel, Main Road, Strathmorn, Inverness-shire
Friday 20 March 1931. 8.30am

After about 9.00pm most of the regulars had headed home and with no one wanting another drink, the bar had closed early. A tight-lipped Mrs MacPherson served breakfast the next morning and the investigators compared notes on their night’s sleep the previous evening.

It seemed Father Ó Shaban had slept through undisturbed, as had Hamish, but everyone else had been disturbed in the early hours by a scream - a singular one that sounded almost human, but not quite…

I’ll take a natural world roll from anyone who heard the scream.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did ye hear that scream last night?" asks Bonnie. "Woke me right up. I dinna ken what sort of beastie made it."

Natural World roll (10% base skill) about the scream:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

1d%LLd25%
OOC:   Fail.  

"No idea but I didn't like it one little bit."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Natural world: 30
1d100
OOC:   Hard Success  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Dr Douglas recognised it as a scream from a sheep, one that sounded in extreme duress.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   I shall wait to hear if the good doctor fills us in on what the scream was.  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Addressing the group Dr Douglas " The scream was that of a sheep. It took me back to days growing up in the Borders where ya soon ken the sounds of the farms. They only scream like that mind when they are worried, either by man or beast. I think Ascot if one of our possible leads is a strange animal to this land, then possibly we may listen out for news of any livestock attacks."
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:32 pm Addressing the group Dr Douglas " The scream was that of a sheep. It took me back to days growing up in the Borders where ya soon ken the sounds of the farms. They only scream like that mind when they are worried, either by man or beast. I think Ascot if one of our possible leads is a strange animal to this land, then possibly we may listen out for news of any livestock attacks."
"I see... Yes, I see. We shall investigate ze sheeb. Forr I believe ze answer to much is behind it. If ze sheeb was killed by ze demon beast, ze powers of ze evil shall be clear."

Father Ó Shaban was being very dramatic in his words and mannerism, and seemed to find it all very fun.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

As they finished breakfast, they could see two men striding past the window, one slightly behind the other, to whom he appeared to be gesticulating. The second man, who they recognised as one of the latecomers to the pub the night before, seemed to be imposing the first man to stop.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot made a face. "Unlucky sheep. I enjoy a good lamb cutlet, of course, but I don't want even those dumb beasts to suffer."

"The murderer may yet still be someone's badly chosen pet from abroad. Firearms might be appropriate if we decide to go out and about after dark."

"And what do you suppose is going on out there?"
he indicates the two locals.
Last edited by Snapper on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Can i try a liaten check, or anything like lip reading to try and make out what they are saying?[/Spoiler-Button
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Of course.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bonnie is still no good at eavesdropping.

Listen roll (40% skill) to hear the conversation:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%L30%

OOC:   Hard success.  

Once again, the years of practice listening for hungry animals in the African bush has helped sharpen Ascot's hearing for this day.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Listen:24
1d100

Dr Douglas has been inexplicably struck deaf......
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ascot alone could hear the two men. The man in front, dressed all in tweed with a flat cap was grumbling about his sheep and the man trailing in his wake spoke with an English accent. ”For God’s sake, Fergus! I’m a doctor, not a bloody veterinarian!”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot stands immediately. "A local land owner the screaming sheep belonged to, and the local doctor being called to stand in as a vet. I think we should speak to these two."

Ascot glances at Shaban as he rises, grabbing coat and fedora. "Father Shaban, however funny you think sheep dying in pain may be, I don't think loss of valuable livestock will be any laughing matter to these people. Please try to reign in the, ah, comments."

Ascot heads out the door to catch up with the two gentlemen outside.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ascot managed to catch up with the two men as they stood in a field on the other side of the wall off a stone track. ”Ye can see here, Doctor. One of my sheep has gone missing and this is what I find…” said the first man, waving his hand around a hollow in the grass that had a distinct reddish tinge…

Everyone else is welcome to go, too.

If you’ve successfully passed a skill check, don’t forget to make a note somewhere. This is a one-shot but that’s how Servants of the Lake started and four years later… 😏
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Snapper wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:20 pm Image

Ascot stands immediately. "A local land owner the screaming sheep belonged to, and the local doctor being called to stand in as a vet. I think we should speak to these two."

Ascot glances at Shaban as he rises, grabbing coat and fedora. "Father Shaban, however funny you think sheep dying in pain may be, I don't think loss of valuable livestock will be any laughing matter to these people. Please try to reign in the, ah, comments."

Ascot heads out the door to catch up with the two gentlemen outside.
Philulhu wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 am Ascot managed to catch up with the two men as they stood in a field on the other side of the wall off a stone track. ”Ye can see here, Doctor. One of my sheep has gone missing and this is what I find…” said the first man, waving his hand around a hollow in the grass that had a distinct reddish tinge…

Everyone else is welcome to go, too.

If you’ve successfully passed a skill check, don’t forget to make a note somewhere. This is a one-shot but that’s how Servants of the Lake started and four years later… 😏
The Father Ó Shaban decided to take the words of the african hunter friendly, and simply stay relaxed at the such. For his interest in the mistery was one that didnt consider such things as reasonable safety that important.

In any case, he would advance to follow sir Ascot and see the scene of the men looking at the bloddied hole. With care to not interfere until one his more british companions talked to anyone, he tried to carefully observe arround the field for strange signs, as would be other blood dispersed arround, any piece of strange hair or something else relevant.

Trying to do a spot hidden roll if possible. I cannot roll the dices myself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bonnie follows Ascot outside and sees the red in the grass. "The poor wee sheep," says Bonnie. "What sort of beastie could have done this?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”