IC - 1 - It Was a Dark and Stormy Night - Louis

The Old Barnaker House. Every kid has heard about it. Everybody has a different awful story about it. All of them agree it is a very bad place.

But here you are on Halloween Night, all because of that jerk Roger. He dared you and your friends to spend the night there. You couldn’t let him bully you.You will show him who is chicken! Everybody knows that there are no such things as ghosts. Everybody knows that, right?

So get your slingshot and your pocket knife. Grab some candy and ready your Rubik’s Cube. You and your friends are going to go face-to-face with the horrors of the Barnaker House.

Hopefully you will live to see the dawn.

The Barnaker House is waiting...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC - 1 - It Was a Dark and Stormy Night - Everyone

Post by Mr. Handy »

Harry tries the front door to see if it's locked.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Darren walks along the porch trying to look into any windows, and walk around the side of the house, keeping Ian close behind him.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

Kyle will walk to the side opposite of Daren to see if he finds any window or other door.
LiviaBlue
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LiviaBlue »

"Poison ivy is way nastier than this old house!" Shirley can't help but justify their caution. "What's with the light? I thought this place was abandoned," she asks no one in particular. Spending the night in an empty and dilapidated place was one thing, but she was not about to break in if someone lived here.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Louis stands at the bottom of the steps.
“Is there someone in there already? I thought I saw some lights.” He says nervously.

“Guys, what’s the deal? Do we have to go in?” He’s trying to work out if it would be better or worse if Roger joins them and he glared at the older boy.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Darren and Ian walk along the creaking deck trying to peer through the windows but the house is pitch black inside. They climb back down the steps and edge round the house to look at the right hand side. There's not much to see in the garden, just the overgrown lawn encroaching on the gravel drive. Looking through the windows doesn't reveal anything new, but every now and again Darren thinks he might catch the slightest flicker of light. But he's not sure. At the rear he can see a dark pool, presumably an old pond. 'This is boring Darren,' says Ian. 'I wanna go inside.'

-----

Round the left side of the house, Kyle sees a patch of cracked and crumbling concrete in the middle of the long grass. There's some sort of wooden cover in the centre. Walking around the side of the house he shines his flashlight through the cracks in the boarded up windows, most of which have long been smashed. In one room he can just about make out a few old chairs and in another a couch and some shelving. Beyond the house towards the back of the yard is a crooked looking shed. And at the rear of the house itself is a smaller porch with a door, but it has been boarded up.

-----

Harry tries the handle to the front door. It turns but the door doesn't open. It seems to be stuck.

-----

At Shirley and Louis's comments about the lights, Roger sniggers and says, 'Of course there's lights you absolute morons. There's no electricity so I lit some candles for you so you wouldn't get all scared and run away like babies. Sheesh, what a bunch of lamebrains.' Then he stares back at Louis, 'And little baby Louis doesn't have to come in if he's scared. But I'll make you pay for it when we're back in school next week. Your choice, dickwad.'

It certainly seemed like the moment you mentioned the lights they went out. They probably just blew out. The wind...

LiviaBlue
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LiviaBlue »

Notice stuff (60%):
d%

"Aren't you so nice." It's hard to tell if Shirley's compliment is genuine of full of sarcasm as she catches the flicker of the light out of the corner of her eye.

"Hey, Darren, will ya get this door open? Looks like it's stuck and I had enough of this rain, she calls after the other boy once Harry tries to open it.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Soon." Darren tells his brother. Ijust wanna check the shed out first. Might be some cool stuff in there, or somethi g we can uae to get in the place."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There's probably a back door," says Harry. "It might be easier to get in that way. Or maybe there's something in the back we could use to get this door open."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

"There is a broken window here! We can try to enter by this place!"- shouts Kyle.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Notice stuff:60 roll:39

Louis peers through the gaps in the boards,
“Er, Roger your candles have just blown out. Now they are as dim as you.” He finishes under his breath.
The shed sounds interesting though, always a scavenger he is drawn to it like a moth to a light.
“Yeah, let’s check out the shed, we might find some useful stuff.”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Darren follows Louis hoping to find something for ian something cool, something he could maybe use to scare off anything like rats that ciuld be in the house. Something to make him feel brave
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Louis and Darren (with Ian trailing behind) go to look at the shed. It's listing badly, wooden walls rotted, tar paper roof peeling. The door hangs half off its hinges and pulling it aside they see stained workbenches cluttered with the detritus of years. Rusty tools of various sizes, pots and cans. A length of chain. Hedge-trimming shears and a manual lawnmower.

In the corners of the shed are the unmistakable signs of rat droppings. Strangely, given how long this place has been abandoned, there are no signs of any of the other animal you might expect, chipmunks, rabbits, skunks, and so on.

Why don't you tell me what you're each looking for and then roll Luck
LiviaBlue
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by LiviaBlue »

"I'd rather not have to pick glass out of y'all skin." Shirley walks over to the edge of the porch, bending over the rail to respond to Kyle. "So let's see we can get in through one of the doors. How did you even get in, Roger?" she asks, turning around to get back under the semi-dry cover.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Mephistophilis wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:59 pm Louis and Darren (with Ian trailing behind) go to look at the shed. It's listing badly, wooden walls rotted, tar paper roof peeling. The door hangs half off its hinges and pulling it aside they see stained workbenches cluttered with the detritus of years. Rusty tools of various sizes, pots and cans. A length of chain. Hedge-trimming shears and a manual lawnmower.

In the corners of the shed are the unmistakable signs of rat droppings. Strangely, given how long this place has been abandoned, there are no signs of any of the other animal you might expect, chipmunks, rabbits, skunks, and so on.

Why don't you tell me what you're each looking for and then roll Luck
I'm looking for a metal bar, something that could be used like a club.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

luck 65
1d100
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Extreme success?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Stepping inside the shed and poking around Darren finds a crowbar leaning up against a corner. It's heavy, probably iron, and has a sort of rounded knob at one end and then a tapering point at the other.

You don't really get extreme successes with Luck rolls but I'll see what I can do...

How's that - it can be wielded two handed for 1d6 damage
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Roger has already started to disappear around the side of the house but he shouts behind him, 'I just pushed open the door because I'm not a sissy little weakling like Smarty-Pants Enslin'
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

sweet. Thanks.
Mephistophilis wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:18 pm Stepping inside the shed and poking around Darren finds a crowbar leaning up against a corner. It's heavy, probably iron, and has a sort of rounded knob at one end and then a tapering point at the other.

You don't really get extreme successes with Luck rolls but I'll see what I can do...

How's that - it can be wielded two handed for 1d6 damage

Return to “The Dare”