Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Eleventh: A Lengthy Trek

Post by SunlessNick »

"We need more water," Eliza cries as the smoke begins to appear. "Can Britches throw it into the river?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, we need to do something about that," says Henry. "Everyone stay back from the container."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

“Aye, as much as I hate causing yon lizard distress, it’s presence is a danger. I shall ask Britches to do so; but keep the family distracted, yesno? Lest they all swoon.”

This decided upon, Lepus beckons his friends closer.

“Also, canst thou find out the name of the departed daughter? Her spirit, once attached to her sister, now resides by my side. ‘tis proper I know how to address her.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry nods and engages the Allens in conversation. "I know exactly what you mean, Mrs. Allen," he says. "While I have a wonderful wife and five amazing children in good health, I was not always so blessed. My first wife Julia died in childbirth, and there was nothing I could do to save either her on the baby. It was a boy, and I would have named him Henry after myself. Instead I reserved that name for my next son. I sense that you have also experienced loss. I find that it helps to talk about those who are no longer with us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

With he father speaking with the elder Allens, Eliza squats down next to Sophie "The last children I spoke with believed I was an ogre. I do not think that is true, though I confess I am not certain what an ogre is. Can you enlighten me?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The smoldering creature is placed, within its container, in a nearby streamlet by the invisible servant, who does so in such manner as to avoid arousing curiosity in those unaware of his existence. This appears to cease the production of the noxious fumes.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:13 pm
Henry nods and engages the Allens in conversation. "I know exactly what you mean, Mrs. Allen," he says. "While I have a wonderful wife and five amazing children in good health, I was not always so blessed. My first wife Julia died in childbirth, and there was nothing I could do to save either her on the baby. It was a boy, and I would have named him Henry after myself. Instead I reserved that name for my next son. I sense that you have also experienced loss. I find that it helps to talk about those who are no longer with us."
This heartfelt account of tragedy touches greatly the tender feminine heart of Mrs. Allen, who embraces Doctor North in a manner not entirely seemly in society, but possibly excusable in this situation. Whilst unashamedly weeping, in a voice half-choked with emotion, she relates her own tale of sorrow.

"The tender babe, not yet christened! A single day, and struck down by the vile pox! Ah, she was my first Sophia, now lost as your own dear Henry!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:46 am
With he father speaking with the elder Allens, Eliza squats down next to Sophie "The last children I spoke with believed I was an ogre. I do not think that is true, though I confess I am not certain what an ogre is. Can you enlighten me?"
In response to this inquiry, Sophia shows somewhat more warmth to Eliza than before; whether this former reticence be due to the latter lady's unusual size and striking countenance or for some other reason, it now melts away into girlish friendliness.

"Oh, they are monsters of great size, shaped like men -- or, in the case of an ogress, a woman -- who devour children. I have read much of them in the tales of Signore Basdile and Monsieur Perrault, which I do so dearly love." She blushes slightly. "Mother and Father say I am too old for such things, and that I must learn how to be a good wife and not lose myself in my books. Do you, perhaps, share such an interest in such tales?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Overhearing the conversation between Henry and Mrs. Allen, Lepus grins at his new spirit companion.

“Sophia be your name eh?” he whispers. “My name be Lepus. Dost thou wish to accompany my friends and I on our travels? Mayhap as a companion for young Britches: my invisible comrade.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They are not lost," says Henry. "God will resurrect them on the last day, and we shall see them again. King David knew that he would see his infant child who died again. Granted, the last day is a long way off. Sir Isaac Newton said it would not be until the twenty-first century, and here we are just barely into the nineteenth. But be assured that that day shall come." He knew all too well, having briefly visited the twenty-first century and seen what was happening at the time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:28 pm

Overhearing the conversation between Henry and Mrs. Allen, Lepus grins at his new spirit companion.

“Sophia be your name eh?” he whispers. “My name be Lepus. Dost thou wish to accompany my friends and I on our travels? Mayhap as a companion for young Britches: my invisible comrade.”
With an expression of some consternation, but without spoken words, the spirit (for so she seems to be) shakes her head emphatically. Relying on gestures alone, she indicates an attachment to Lepus (this signaled by grasping his arm; which, curiously, produces no sensation) whilst simultaneously displaying the necessity of remaining with her (assumed) sister (this made clear by beckoning motions directed in her direction; these being noted by the said young lady, who attempts, with little success, to hide her awareness of them.)
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:34 am
"They are not lost," says Henry. "God will resurrect them on the last day, and we shall see them again. King David knew that he would see his infant child who died again. Granted, the last day is a long way off. Sir Isaac Newton said it would not be until the twenty-first century, and here we are just barely into the nineteenth. But be assured that that day shall come." He knew all too well, having briefly visited the twenty-first century and seen what was happening at the time.
This edifying speech restores Mrs. Allen to a calmer state of mind; although, if truth be told, there is always a trace of melancholy in her nature. Mr. Allen approaches, indicating that it time for he and his relations to return home.

"If you would care to be our guests, we would be most honored, although I can offer only plain, modest fare and a simple but honest household and good cheer. The place lies not far from here."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus shakes his head sadly.

“Alas, I cannot tarry too long, for ‘tis my lot to forever play the vagabond,” he whispers.

“You can stay with me or your sister, but not both. Unless, of course, you wish to be laid to rest.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your hospitality," says Henry. "I'd be delighted to visit. We cannot stay too long, but we can spend a little time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The adventurers follow the Allen family to their neat little home, of a kind proper to a country gentleman of moderate means. There is a garden producing a variety of fruits and vegetables, to be enjoyed when Nature provides Her bounty, or to be preserved so that they may be enjoyed when Winter has His reign. Nearby are a few more modest farming households, who provide Mr. Allen with a small income in rent and comestibles. The greetings offered by the inhabitants of these establishments indicate that Mr. Allen is liked and respected by his tenants, evidencing that he is a fair and gentle overseer of their labors. As stated, simple refreshment is provided.

During this visit, the spirit remains by the side of the hedge wizard, unseen by most present. It is noticeable as well that her more fleshly sister is never very far away from him, either. The spirit remains stubbornly uncommunicative, and seemingly insistent that both living creatures remain by her side.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, this is a fine meal," says Henry, who has had to eat humbler fare before during his travels.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus is grateful for any meal set before him, and so tucks in with gusto.

In between noisy mouthfuls, he leans across to the living Sophia.

“Tell me, would it sadden your imaginary friend were to leave and reside in, say, the heavens?”
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:13 pm
Lepus is grateful for any meal set before him, and so tucks in with gusto.

In between noisy mouthfuls, he leans across to the living Sophia.

“Tell me, would it sadden your imaginary friend were to leave and reside in, say, the heavens?”
With a blush, Sophia replies "I know not what you mean, sir." She casts her gaze in the direction of her parents, who are engaged in conversation with their guests, and thus not paying much attention to their daughter. Emboldened by this opportunity, she leans close to Lepus and, in a whisper so low that it is barely heard even by him to whom it is directed, "You must find excuse to discuss this away from other ears, without giving scandal."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Leave it to me,” Lepus winks at the girl.

At an opportune moment, the wanderer coughs loudly, as if choking on some food.

Clawing dramatically at his throat, he staggers towards the daughter.

“Must… have… air…!” he gasps.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry leaps to his feet to help Lepus.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich