The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Eleventh: A Lengthy Trek

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

As the sundry vessels are filled with river water, transported to the location of the entrapped creature, and emptied upon its wooden prison, the charring of said container ceases, as does the smoke emerging from within. Slight movements of the bucket reveals that the animal is alive, and makes unsuccessful attempts to escape.

A discussion takes place amongst the stoneworkers, as to the possibility of exhibiting the creature to the curious.

"Old Zeke's two-head calf brought many a penny some years ago."

An argument develops as to who saw the animal first, and can claim rights to it.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

“Mayhap we should pay these fellows for yon lizard,” Lepus suggests (and by ‘we’ he means Henry). “Lest they accidentally burn down half the county.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I would be willing to purchase it," says Henry, taking out his coin purse. "A specimen like this would be of interest to a scientist like me. I'll pay all of you equally, so there is no need to worry about who found it first."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The payment is eagerly accepted, leaving only the question as to the best manner in which to safely transport the animal.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We need something to insulate the container," says Henry. "A metal container would get too hot to hold, unless we had an insulated handle made of something like rubber. Hmm...could your invisible servant carry it, Lepus?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I will ask him, but he may not wish to get burned,” Lepus replies.

The hedge wizard summons Britches and, mindful how he has overused him somewhat recently, requests his help in wrangling the salamander.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

Eliza finds herself pleased that the water did not kill the animal.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The unseen servant not being subject to the "thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to," there is no problem in carrying the creature in a roughly made but secure box of pewter, hastily constructed by some of the workmen from mugs use to quaff ale. The adventurers proceed on their way.
Spoiler:
d4d8+d121d41d4
As they pass by a particularly scenic place, where a wide vista allows one to appreciate a rushing river flowing at the foot of picturesque hills, they observe four persons also enjoying the view. To be precise, they appear to be husband, wife, and too daughters of that age at which one is not sure whether to refer to them as girls or ladies. The gentleman is observing the lay of the land through a spyglass, while the lady is sketching the scene in a notebook. The two young persons are engaged in conversation, it seems, judging by the frequent laughter that erupts from under the parasols that protect them from the ravages of the sun. They appear to be of the respectable class, but not of the nobility, evidenced by the quality of their garments.
Last edited by VictoriaSilverwolf on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Mayhap thou shouldst lead the charge once more Henry, should we decide to talk to yon family,” Lepus suggests.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Indeed, I shall," says Henry, who leads the approach and introduces himself and his companions to the family.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
d100-50d100-50d100-50d100-50d100-50. The way those rolls came out makes things more unusual than I expected . . .
The members of the family prove to be most courteous, addressing Doctor North properly as "My Lord," yet with a friendly manner. The gentleman with the spyglass makes the introductions.

"I am Edward Allen. My lady wife, Joanna, and my daughter, Sophia."

His speech may seem highly informal, to one expecting his spouse to be called simply "Mrs. Allen," the elder daughter "Miss Allen," and the younger daughter "Miss Whatever-Her-First-Name-May-Be," as is proper -- although, if truth be told, the two young ladies appear to be much of an age -- but the fellow jolly nature is obvious, and he is likely to be forgiven this lack of gravity.

It is a most curious matter that he ceases at this point, whilst the adventurers are no doubt expecting to learn the other daughter's name, with no indication that he has anything else to say at the moment. Nor, for that matter, do his wife and daughters appear to think that there is anything unusual about the situation.
Last edited by VictoriaSilverwolf on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"What is the name of your other daughter, Mr Allen?" asks Eliza, unsure whether or not it is proper to ask, so letting curiosity dictate her response.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus bows low and listens with much interest to the family’s response to Eliza’s question.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The rest of my family is back home," says Henry. "We're on our way back to them. My wife's health makes it difficult for her to travel, so she stayed behind with the other children."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:44 pm
"What is the name of your other daughter, Mr Allen?" asks Eliza, unsure whether or not it is proper to ask, so letting curiosity dictate her response.
"Perhaps I did not speak with sufficient clarity, dear lady," Mr. Allen replies. He clears his throat, draws nearer to Eliza, and speaks in a louder voice than before. "My daughter's name is Sophia."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:50 pm
Lepus bows low and listens with much interest to the family’s response to Eliza’s question.
The two young ladies appear to be most curious concerning the unusual appearance of this silent visitor, moving close to him and whispering to each other with suppressed chuckles. Upon witnessing this behavior, their mother says "Sophia, cease bothering the . . . gentleman." The two of them, expressing remorse -- but of what degree of sincerity one cannot say -- withdraw.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:51 am
"The rest of my family is back home," says Henry. "We're on our way back to them. My wife's health makes it difficult for her to travel, so she stayed behind with the other children."
Upon hearing this, Mrs. Allen approaches Doctor North, going so far as to lightly place her hand upon his arm. In the other, she retains possession of her notebook, open in such a way to reveal the sketch upon which she was working. It is quite obvious that she has enhanced the view with such romantic touches as dark, brooding clouds -- as different as may be imagined from the clear sky currently observable.

"My Lord, I shall pray for your dear wife, that she may recover. To lose a member of one's family to the ravages of disease; oh, it is more terrible than any other fate." It can be seen that a tear descends from her eye. Her response may strike one as overwrought; Mrs. Allen is obviously a lady of more than common sensibility.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus grins at the girls. Intrigued that one of the sisters seems to be somehow invisible to the parents, her performs a few simple acts of legerdemain to entertain them.

Hopefully such things will allow him to observe both girls to see how they behave and interact.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Mrs. Allen," says Henry. "Her condition is not life-threatening, thank God. It resulted from the birth of our third child, which was a difficult one, but she was still able to have a fourth afterward. I happen to be a physician, and my skills have helped keep her alive. Are you in good health, and your family?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”