Miss Stockbridge

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Miss Stockbridge

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's true, I cannot lie," says Victoria. "I'm not quite sure how I went back in time, but it wasn't through the I Ching. I don't think it was an accident. I must have gone back in time for a purpose. There were numerous tragedies that had happened to the Collins family in 1795 that I had learned about, and I managed to prevent them and change the past. Josette would have died had I not been there, and little Sarah would have died as well. Barnabas was cursed to become a vampire, forever mourning Josette, but Reverend Trask managed to find him and break the curse, which he wouldn't have been able to do had I not saved Josette and handled the music box, thus alerting him that Angelique was a witch."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There was a time when I suspected you were a witch, Miss Winters," says Reverend Trask. "Now that I know the truth, everything makes sense. It does appear that it is God's will that we are here in this time, at least for now. Since you returned to your time when your work in ours was done, it appears we can do the same, but we still have work to do here and now. I know that Jeremiah Collins came here to find Laura, whom you referred to as a phoenix. It is an apt description. I followed in his footsteps to find him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"We have worked well together in the past. We can do so again."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Some days after this conference, during which time the visitors are discreetly instructed in the manners of the present by Miss Winters, there comes tragic news. A telegram addressed to Roger Collins reveals that Laura Collins died in a fire in her apartment in Arizona. He is very upset, yet manages to maintain enough control to keep the news from David for a while. The boy somehow manages to discover the truth -- has he been rummaging through wastebaskets, where the telegram might have been carelessly thrown? In any case, he is completely distraught by the discovery, thrashing about and shrieking, mostly incoherently, although sometimes he can be heard screaming "She's not dead! She's not dead!" Confined to his room for lack of a better way to deal with his anguish, he manages to break the window, leap down to the ground, and escape into the dark forest of Collinswood. During the search for the lost boy, it becomes clear that Jeremiah Collins is no longer in residence at the Old House, his present whereabouts unknown.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"You are free to go. But you shall always return."

With those words, the Great Khan and his court vanish, to be replaced by the modest shack of the Oriental man. Josette is alone with the fellow her companions nowhere to be seen. She feels an overwhelming compulsion to experience once again the visions induced by the smoking of the black, tarry substance, which the man offers for a price.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We know that both young David and Jeremiah are looking for Laura," says Reverend Trask. "It is possible that they have gone to seek her together."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All of this has happened before," says Victoria, "but somewhat differently. Laura Collins did not die in the fire, any more than she did in your time. She later returned, before I went to your time." She tells them what happened in her first encounter with Laura. "We should search David's room, and the Old House where Jeremiah was staying. There may be writings or other things they left behind that will give some clue as to what prompted them to leave. I think they probably headed for Phoenix, Arizona, where she apparently died. We could go there once we've exhausted our avenues of investigation here. It's a much swifter and safer journey in this time. We could fly there in an airplane."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I would be fascinated to experience one of these flying machines," says Nathan. "For now, I think Miss Winters and I should begin with the Old House - Jeremiah Collins is the more likely of the two to have left something behind him to indicate what he knows. Reverend Trask, a religious man may arouse less suspicion asking to search the boy's room, and I suspect it would not take as long.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:51 am
She feels an overwhelming compulsion to experience once again the visions induced by the smoking of the black, tarry substance, which the man offers for a price.
Does she have enough money to pay for it?
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
unexplained die rolls2d20
Nathan and Victoria enter the Old House together. It proves to be deserted, Jeremiah having apparently left in some haste. A search of the drawing room reveals a printed schedule for the Collinsport train station, with times listed for the weekly run to Grand Central Terminal, New York City. There is also a scrap of paper with what seems to be a telephone number.

(602) 555-1000

Of notice also is a portrait, seemingly of great age, that is recognizably that of Josette, but appearing gaunt and haggard, if not much older than when last seen.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
unexplained die rolld20
A search of David's room reveals that his map of the United States, formerly hanging on the wall and now hidden in a desk drawer, has been marked with crayon. A thick black line leads from Collinsport to New York City, and a red one from New York City to Arizona.

While all this searching goes on, Mrs. Stoddard announces that she must leave Collinsport on a business trip. This is remarkable for two reasons. Not only does it seem inappropriate to leave while David is missing, but Mrs. Stoddard has not left the grounds of Collinwood for many years.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The price is well within your means, at least for the moment.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It appears that they took the train to New York, and from there planned to fly to Phoenix," says Victoria. "We can look up in the library where the 602 area code is, but my guess is that it's for Phoenix. We could try placing a long distance call to the number. I wonder what has happened to Josette, who did not come with us but remained behind in 1795. Perhaps when the rest of you return, you can help her. I also have to wonder if Mrs. Stoddard is going to look for David herself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

When the phone number is called, a woman's voice says "Phoenix Police Department, may I help you?"

Casual inquiry reveals that Mrs. Stoddard purchased a round trip ticket to New York City, intending to return on the next train back to Collinsport, apparently meaning to stay in the Big Apple only briefly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We're looking for a missing child," says Victoria. "His name is David Collins. He ran away from home, and we have reason to believe he is heading to the Phoenix area. He may be in the company of an older relative named Jeremiah Collins who has also gone to Phoenix." She describes David and Jeremiah. "David's mother Laura Collins recently died in a fire in Phoenix, and when he found out, he ran away."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Perhaps it would have been the result of the melancholia you wre able to alleviate," says Nathan of the portrait of Josette.

"These devices would have been a godsend in wartime," he adds after watching Miss Winters use the telephone.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 am
The price is well within your means, at least for the moment.
Josette is also awaiting the return of the others, and it would be churlish to refuse her host's hospitality while she does so.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're not the only one to think so," Victoria tells Nathan after the call is over. "These and similar devices have been used in wartime. The telephone was invented in 1876 by Alexander Graham Bell, but it needs wires to work. However, a wireless device called a radio was invented almost twenty years later by a man named Marconi. They've been used in both world wars, and they're also used in the war in Vietnam that's happening right now. They've gotten smaller and better over time too. I have a radio you can carry around with you. It only receives and doesn't send, but it's great for listening to music."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:58 pm
"We're looking for a missing child," says Victoria. "His name is David Collins. He ran away from home, and we have reason to believe he is heading to the Phoenix area. He may be in the company of an older relative named Jeremiah Collins who has also gone to Phoenix." She describes David and Jeremiah. "David's mother Laura Collins recently died in a fire in Phoenix, and when he found out, he ran away."
"Just a moment, please."

The clicking sound of the line being transferred comes over the wire. There is a brief delay.

"Detective McGarvey, Arson. You got some info on the Collins case? Somethin' about a missin' kid?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Once the modest payment is made, the man hands Josette a pipe similar to his own, and a wooden box containing a small supply of the black, tarry substance with which it is to be filled. He bows his head, indicating that the transaction has been completed.

"Good day, Miss. Pleasant dreams."

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”