Miss Stockbridge

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Re: Miss Stockbridge

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:57 am
They appear to be engaged in ordinary activities of townsfolks; buying and selling, talking and laughing, arguing, eating and drinking (mostly fish and grain, it seems), with others in the distance, more simply dressed, caring for the fields, which are watered by an ingenious system of wooden tubes that carry the precious fluid of life from the river to the crops it sustains. It is notable that there are no children, nor any persons of advanced age.
After a while, Josette makes her way down to the townsfolk. "Hello," she says simply to the first she meets. "My name is Josette. Can you tell me where I am? I am not certain how I come to be here."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:05 am

"Reverend Orville Trask," says the Reverend, bowing. "A pleasure to meet you, Laura. Have we not met before?"
With a smile, Laura says ,"I am flattered that you think me so memorable, but I don't recall seeing you in Collinsport before. New in town?"

"Yes, I get around quite a bit, " Roger adds, "and I don't remember your face. Jeremiah?"

Still ashen-faced, Jeremiah replies "I believe that we both arrived in Collinsport from the same part of New England, although I have been here quite some time now. Excuse me, please, I must clean my shirt," indicating the spirits that stain his sleeve. He hurries upstairs.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:07 am

Victoria is unsure how she has returned home to her own time, but she is delighted to be back. Eagerly, she runs up to the front door.
The door is opened by Carolyn Stoddard, although she looks a bit younger than remembered, no more than a teenager.

"Yes?" she says, politely, but with no indication that she recognizes the visitor.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:54 am "Then certainly I will make the journey," says Nathan.
"It is done."

When the words are spoken, the shack and its inhabitants seem to disappear, to be replaced by an entirely different scene. Nathan finds himself near the edge of Widow's Peak, within site of the mansion of Collinswood. The view of the raging sea is always an sublime one, but even more so at this time, as there appear to be vessels sailing upon that are extraordinarily large, constructed of gray metal rather than wood, and bearing no sails whatsoever, although moving at a considerable pace, even against the wind.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:56 am
After a while, Josette makes her way down to the townsfolk. "Hello," she says simply to the first she meets. "My name is Josette. Can you tell me where I am? I am not certain how I come to be here."
The first person encountered is a woman selling tea, who is used to speaking to many different persons.
"You are in the realm of the great Khan. These ships carry visitors to his palace, within the caverns." Remarkably, this response is spoken in perfect French, even bearing the slight accent heard from those dwelling in Martinique.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Jeremiah came here long before I did," says Reverend Trask. "I've only just arrived myself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hi," says Victoria, realizing that she must have arrived years before she had come to Collinsport in the first place. "Is there a Jeremiah Collins here?" She goes on to describe him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan is distracted for a few minutes by the remarkable sight. Then he shakes himself back to focus, and begins to make his way carefully toward the House, reasoning that it's where any of the others would probably go.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:27 am
The first person encountered is a woman selling tea, who is used to speaking to many different persons.
"You are in the realm of the great Khan. These ships carry visitors to his palace, within the caverns." Remarkably, this response is spoken in perfect French, even bearing the slight accent heard from those dwelling in Martinique.
"I must be farther afield than I had dreamed. I am unfamiliar with any Great Khan, save for those who lived long ago. If I buy some tea, would you be willing to tell me of him while I drink?" (If the woman is too busy, Josette will buy some tea anyway, and take the time to watch further).
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:13 am

"Yes, Jeremiah came here long before I did," says Reverend Trask. "I've only just arrived myself."
"I trust that your visit will be an extended one," Laura says with a friendly smile. "Dear," she remarks to Roger, "can't we put the gentleman up for a few days at the Rose Cottage?"

"I suppose so," Rogers answers. "Better than that run-down inn downtown. Mrs. Johnson can collect your things and have them sent to the cottage."

"Fine," Laura says. "We shall have much to discuss, you and I."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:15 am
"Hi," says Victoria, realizing that she must have arrived years before she had come to Collinsport in the first place. "Is there a Jeremiah Collins here?" She goes on to describe him.

"Oh, you must mean cousin Jerry. Sure, he's somewhere around. Come on in," she continues, in the manner of a young, trusting person. "You must be his girlfriend, huh?"

By this time, Elizabeth Stoddard has entered the hallway. "I don't believe I know your friend, Carolyn."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:21 pm

Nathan is distracted for a few minutes by the remarkable sight. Then he shakes himself back to focus, and begins to make his way carefully toward the House, reasoning that it's where any of the others would probably go.
The mansion seems little changed from how Nathan remembers it, although somewhat more worn by the elements than he recalls. Peering through a narrow window near the great front door, he can see what seems to be Miss Winters, although differently dressed than when he last saw her, mere moments ago, engaged in conversation with a petite young blonde woman.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:24 pm
"I must be farther afield than I had dreamed. I am unfamiliar with any Great Khan, save for those who lived long ago. If I buy some tea, would you be willing to tell me of him while I drink?" (If the woman is too busy, Josette will buy some tea anyway, and take the time to watch further).
The woman is entirely willing to engage in conversation, and is easily able to serve her customers while chatting away. The majority of the persons buying tea speak in various languages that bear the changing pitch of Asian tongues, but some speak European languages, and a few tongues that are impossible to identity. The tea-seller seems to be fluent in all of these.

"Ah, the Great Khan's festival begins today! That is where all these people are headed, in their little boats, down into the ice caverns where he has his palace. And it is my good fortune that so many stop to refresh themselves for the journey with my tea."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan nods to himself, and knocks on the mansion door.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Ice caverns?" says Josette. "What a wonderous sight these must be."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Reverend Trask. "I'd be delighted to stay here. I have no belongings to collect. I traveled light. All I have is with me now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hi, I'm Vicki," says Victoria with a smile. "I'm a friend of Jerry's."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:16 am
Nathan nods to himself, and knocks on the mansion door.
The door is opened by a woman of middle years, whose demeanor is that of the servant class; in particular, that type of head housekeeper or cook, or both, whose lofty position within the home results in a kind of pride. Upon seeing Nathan, a mood of restrained disdain is clearly visible in her features.

"Such clothes young people wear these days," she mutters to herself. "What's your business here?"
Spoiler:
Obviously, the time lines are getting convoluted here. I'll try to bring all three player characters together eventually.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:21 am

"Ice caverns?" says Josette. "What a wonderous sight these must be."
"Oh, my, yes. A wondrous place, given over to all manner of delights. It is well worth seeing the magnificent dome that serves the Great Khan as his palace, and the aromatic gardens that surround it."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:25 am
"Thank you," says Reverend Trask. "I'd be delighted to stay here. I have no belongings to collect. I traveled light. All I have is with me now."
The arrangements are made to settle the new guest in the Rose Cottage, where he finds several strange objects without obvious function, although such items as a luxurious bed and a fine fireplace are easily recognized. That evening, after dark, there is a knock on the door. When it is opened, Laura Collins, if that is indeed her name, enters, dressed in the peculiar and, frankly, indecent manner of the females seen on the way to the mansion. In some arcane manner, she touches a place on the wall and the room fills with bright light, produced from certain small glassy objects on the walls and ceilings, which puts to shame the candle which had formerly illuminated it. Mrs. Collins sits by the fireplace, gazing into the flames.

"Have you come to destroy me?" she inquires.

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”