Miss Stockbridge

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Re: Miss Stockbridge

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan did not accompany the Reverend, aware that his own injury would only hamper the speed of the errand. Is he aware of any supplies of ice that may be found in the less salubrious parts of Collinsport?

ImageImage

Millicent or Josette would presumably know if ice is to be found at the house - if there is, they will say so - otherwise Josette will pray for Daniel's salvation, while Millicent will alternately pray and wail in distress.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

It occurs to all present that fishmongers are famously in need of the precious and costly commodity of ice, harvested from ponds by great saws wielded by men of might in the harshest times of winter, then transported into storerooms, to be sealed as best may be done through the use of straw and sawdust against the ravages of warm weather. Inevitably, much is lost, but a considerable amount remains, to be had for ready money. Collinsport known throughout New England for the quantity and quality of its seafood (the source of much of the Collins fortune), it is no difficult matter to obtain a sufficient amount of ice to treat the afflicted lad. Placed in small pieces in his mouth, allowed to melt, and then swallowed, the chilling substance eventually returns Daniel to a sensate state.

"Mother?" The boy glances about, as if in search of his long deceased, barely known parent. "Where is my mother?"

It is a question as to whether the ordeal has affected the child's mind.

While this point is being considered, it becomes known that Jeremiah, after conference with the Countess, has gone into some of the less salubrious areas of Collinsport, on an unknown errand.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask seeks out Jeremiah, realizing that he may need some spiritual guidance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If you mean Laura," Victoria tells Daniel, "she has gone. I know not where."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:08 am
Reverend Trask seeks out Jeremiah, realizing that he may need some spiritual guidance.
Those witnesses to the movements of Jeremiah Collins whose tongues may be loosened by silver or strong drink reveal that the said gentlemen was last seen hastening to the quarters of an Oriental fellow. Such persons are quite rare in this part of the world, although a few arrive as sailors now and then aboard ships bearing cargo from the Far East. That establishment is little more than a shack, set apart from other homes and shops of modest construct. No one seems to know what business goes on within those dank wooden walls.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 am

"If you mean Laura," Victoria tells Daniel, "she has gone. I know not where."
"I must find her." The lad seems inconsolable, and is unable to be convinced that the vanished Mrs. Collins is not his deceased mother.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Millicent tries to take Daniel inside where they can be alone. (She wants to hold him, but fears he would be embarrassed at that in front of all the gathered folk).

Josette goes to Victoria. "Your identification of Miss Stock- - Mrs Coliins - as a phoenix seems to have been an accurate one. But the chief legend of the phoenix states that it is reborn when it burns itself up. If so, I do not think this is over. How have you come by the knowledge you possess?" (Her manner in asking is one of guileless curiosity - she shows nothing of suspicion). "Sometimes it seems as if you must be an angel sent to us in our time of tribulation."

Nathan waits until the physician appears to have finished tending Daniel, then makes his own injury known (along with anyone else who was hurt in the fire).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask inquires about where the Oriental man's quarters are. Even if Jeremiah isn't there at the time, talking to the man he visited could prove enlightening.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Josette," says Victoria. "I'm not an angel, just a girl trying to do the best she can to help. Much of my knowledge comes from education. I must be learned in order to teach. But you're right that I have seen the like before. I used to be governess for another family, and a woman much like Laura beguiled and married a man there. She apparently died in a fire, but there were no remains found. It is possible she was in fact the same woman. She may yet rise from the ashes like the phoenix she is, but I hope she will move on again if she does."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Young Daniel being under the nearly constant care of his devoted sister, it quickly becomes clear that, although sound of body, his soul remains afflicted. He often addresses persons well known to him by the wrong names, and is so confused in his mind that he believes Millicent to be his cousin. He expresses a belief that his mother will soon return to fetch him.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whilst treating Nathan's wounds, and attempting to distract the brave young man from the unavoidable pain that accompanies this process, the doctor remarks that those who suffered burns did so in a remarkable manner, as if they were subjected to sudden bursts of unusually intense heat; far more so than the stable fire could have produced, although apparently only lasting for some small fraction of a second.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reverend Trask is directed to the place where the Oriental fellow dwells. When the shack is in sight, he witnesses a man, pale and gaunt, emerging from it and rushing away from the place in a great hurry. Approaching the modest building, he detects a curious scent, sweet and smoky. There are no windows, or even a bare opening, in the rough wooden walls of the place. The roughly hewn plank that serves as a door has been shut tight by the fellow who so recently emerged from it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria arranges to visit Daniel to see if she can help him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Just a moment, sir!" Reverend Trask calls after the man who just left, following him briskly. "I'd like to ask you something."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Perhaps it is reassuring that Daniel recognizes Miss Winters as his governess, and does not mistake her for another. Despite the confusion in the young fellow's mind, he is able to attend to his lessons with only that lack of enthusiasm which is expected from a lad of his tender years.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Startled by Reverend Trask's words, the fellow stares at him for a moment, clutching a small paper parcel to his chest, then runs off with great haste.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan makes note of what the phsyician has said, with the intent of passing it on to Reverend Trask and Victoria WInters when the opportunity arises.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask decides against giving chase, realizing that there's little he can do even if he were to catch up with him. Instead, he knocks on the door.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I know you miss your mother," says Victoria to Daniel, empathizing with him. "I'm an orphan. I don't even remember my mother or my father. They were gone before I was grown much. But I do long to see them, so I know how you feel. But you still have a family here. You have your sister Millicent, and you have Jeremiah, and the rest of the Collins family. They all love you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:51 pm

Reverend Trask decides against giving chase, realizing that there's little he can do even if he were to catch up with him. Instead, he knocks on the door.
There follows a response uttered in a high-pitched tone, but one which does not reveal much about the occupant of the shack, save that it seems to be an elderly person conversing in some Eastern tongue, judging by the rising and falling of the words, and that said person is not pleased to be disturbed.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
d20
Miss Winters' evident compassion does indeed seem to have a salubrious effect upon the young fellow's soul, as he acknowledges the person around him by their proper names and relationships. Upon hearing the name of Jeremiah, he makes inquiry, "But where is Cousin Jeremiah? I trust he has not fallen victim to the great fire."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, he did not fall victim to the fire," says Victoria. "I am concerned about him too. He has been spending a lot of time in town. Reverend Trask went to look for him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I apologize for disturbing you," says Reverend Trask, "but it is important that I speak to you about Jeremiah Collins."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”