Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Eleventh: A Lengthy Trek

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Doctor Hong's response is a mixture of optimism, confusion, and skepticism.

To the first statement from Lepus, she remarks "I don't know about faith healing, but a combination of chiropteran virome and necrogenic flora might make some sense as a source of the disease. As far as analyzing the metal, that's a cinch."

The group returns to the facility from whence they came, taking the two cured persons along with them, to be supplied with sustenance and shelter. She places the amulet into a box of some black glassy material, the sides of which are connected to a variety of other, translucent and self-illuminated boxes by thin wires. In a moment, she glances at an inscrutable combination of letters, numbers, and symbols that appear on one of the said boxes.

"Pure silver," she says. "Remarkable. That may be an important factor in creating a cure."

In response to Doctor North's inquiry, she agrees that synthesizing a vaccine from the blood of the cured persons -- who, remaining in a state of passivity, offer no resistance -- would be possible.

"This may be the breakthrough we've been waiting for."

As far as the notion suggested by Eliza goes, she sighs and says "Yeah, I wish I could go back and stop the whole crazy thing too, honey. Too bad that's not possible."

To the inquiry from Lepus as to the reason for the conflict, Doctor Hong, although a bit surprised that it is not common knowledge, states "It all started when the European and Pan-African lunar bases started throwing smart rocks at each other. Nobody knows who tossed the first one, or at least they won't admit it. Then things got out of hand here on Terra. Everybody and his brother jumped into the mess, it seems."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

It takes a moment for Lepus to process these strange words.

“Keep yon amulet for your research if you wish. I am loathe to part with it, but if it cures these poor savages then your need be greater than mine. Mayhap an exchange if thou wish?”

He turns to the others.

“We know not the cause of this war. Be there anything else we can do afore we return to the stones?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"Perhaps there is something in my blood that may help also," suggests Eliza. "I was after all made in defiance of death. Have you a means of storing it, Doctor Hong?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, yes," says Henry. "Silver is well known for its healthful properties. Tell me, Doctor, do you have any books here? I'd be interested in seeing anything to do with science, as well as the history of the last three centuries."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:17 pm
It takes a moment for Lepus to process these strange words.

“Keep yon amulet for your research if you wish. I am loathe to part with it, but if it cures these poor savages then your need be greater than mine. Mayhap an exchange if thou wish?”
"What did you have in mind? CyberEuros? What's your account number? I can try to arrange for a transfer of funds."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:28 pm
"Perhaps there is something in my blood that may help also," suggests Eliza. "I was after all made in defiance of death. Have you a means of storing it, Doctor Hong?"
"I won't turn down any offer from a volunteer. You do look, uh, extremely healthy, dear. Ever play pro basketball?"

Doctor Hong procures a glass (or so it seems to be) tube from a storage area, curiously decorated with tiny glowing lights upon its base. She presses it against Eliza's palm. There is no sensation produced by the device other than slight warmth. Nonetheless, it soon fills with deep red fluid, and is withdrawn, leaving no wound behind. Whether this be mere legerdemain or some form of witchery, Doctor Hong appears satisfied. She places the tube into one of many mysteriously arrayed black boxes, which emits a series of high-pitched tones, then produces a thin sheet of paper bearing inscrutable writing.

"Interesting. Very interesting. Impossible, almost. If I hadn't calibrated the analyzer myself . . ."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:05 am

"Ah, yes," says Henry. "Silver is well known for its healthful properties. Tell me, Doctor, do you have any books here? I'd be interested in seeing anything to do with science, as well as the history of the last three centuries."
"Sure. Help yourself."

She leads Doctor North to yet another black box, this one equipped with a series of lettered squares, arranged in a random fashion, it seems, judging by the nonsensical pattern QWERTYUIOP that appears on the top row of three. Her fingers moving quickly amongst these, she soon steps back to reveal a square of faint pearl gray light floating above the letters. This ghostly apparition dissolves, like fog struck by sunlight, into what seems to be a page from a printed volume. It reads ENCYCLOPEDIA UNIVERSALIS 27TH EDITION. Below this, in scarlet letters that appear and disappear rapidly, over and over, the single word INQUIRY followed by an interrogation mark.

"It's all yours. Ask away."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus looks confused until the mention of funds, when realisation dawns.

“Nay, old Lepus cares naught for money. I merely ask for some token or nick-nack: something of interest to remind me of this place.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"These devices are wondrous." is all Eliza can find to say.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, this is amazing!" says Henry, fascinated by the devices. He is able to figure out how to press the letter keys, having done something similar with the code panel that allowed entry to the lab, though he cannot type as fast as Doctor Hong. He types out his first inquiry: "HOW AND WHEN DID THE WAR START?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:24 am
Lepus looks confused until the mention of funds, when realisation dawns.

“Nay, old Lepus cares naught for money. I merely ask for some token or nick-nack: something of interest to remind me of this place.”
"Sure. Why not? Let's see . . . how about a little hand laser? Not much good for real defense, I'm afraid, but OK for warming up a MRE or something like that." She finds a small, red, rectangular box, about the size of an infant's hand. When she presses a tiny protuberance on the top of the box, a violet beam of light emerges from the slightly narrower side of the device, which happens to be facing in the direction of a transparent container of what appears to be water. When the light strikes the liquid, it begins to boil.

"Gotta be careful with it, of course, but it comes in handy."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:54 pm
"These devices are wondrous." is all Eliza can find to say.
"So is your blood, dearie. Why, this analysis suggests that your erythrocytes and leucocytes are immortal, for all practical purposes. Not to mention antibodies to just about anything under the sun. Once I've got this stuff figured out, the world be will be on the way to recovery."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:48 pm
"Yes, this is amazing!" says Henry, fascinated by the devices. He is able to figure out how to press the letter keys, having done something similar with the code panel that allowed entry to the lab, though he cannot type as fast as Doctor Hong. He types out his first inquiry: "HOW AND WHEN DID THE WAR START?"
Letters appear rapidly in the area of mist

REFERENCE <WAR> ASSUMED <MOST RECENT> DEFINITION <THIRD WORLD WAR>

INQUIRY <HOW . . . START> ASSUMED <INITIATION AND CONTINUINCE OF HOSTILITIES> ANSWER <EXCHANGE OF AI-GUIDED KINETIC MASSES LUNAR BASES RETALIATION EARTHSIDE BIO/CHEM/NUC INTERVENTION REDSTONE INDUSTRIES DEPOPULATION>

INQUIRY <WHEN . . . START> ANSWER <13:49:07 GMT 7/14/2093>
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus chuckles and capers excitedly.

“Aye, old Lepus likes this ‘lay-ser - ‘tis a grand trade indeed! I hope this will serve thee well.”

He hands over the amulet before stuffing the laser deep into the folds of his tattered clothing.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Eliza clearly has little idea what Doctor Hong has just said, but answers, "If it can be of help to you in alleviating this devastation, I am glad of it."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Redstone Industries? Good job Doctor North is the one who read that.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry realizes that he'll have to phrase his inquiries carefully, as the machine doesn't have the ability of a human to interpret what he meant by his question, telling him the method by which the war had started rather than what he really wanted to know, the proximate cause of the war. However, it has told him something very interesting indeed. "Redstone?" he says. "Could the man somehow still be alive after all these years? Or perhaps it is a descendant." He types "TELL ME ABOUT REDSTONE INDUSTRIES" on the keyboard. "I've seen a device like that laser a long time before. It had been made by a scientist who used various names that were variants of Redstone or Roterstein, which was the German equivalent. He had given it to a madwoman, Violette Dupray. She used it to attempt an assassination, but I thwarted her with a mirror. It reflected the beam right back at her, and the evil she intended returned upon her own head."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

REFERENCE <REDSTONE INDUSTRIES> SUMMARY FOLLOWS

HYPERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION OPERATING ILLEGALLY FROM UNKNOWN LOCATION. OFFICIALLY BANNED IN ALL NATIONS SIGNATORY TO REORGANIZED UN CHARTER 2046 BUT SUPPLIES ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY CLANDESTINELY. BELIEVED RESPONSIBLE FOR 87.3% DEATHS WORLD WAR THREE DUE TO MANUFACTURE AND DISTRIBUTION OF BIO/CHEM/NUC WEAPONS.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Most of this chatter means nothing to Lepus, who is preoccupied with his new gadget.

However, he does pick up in the tail end of the conversation.

“This Redstone fellow be a rogue then? Mayhap the spirit of the stones is having us undo his work and ultimately defeat him, yesno?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"If that is so, then we must presume it is possible to accomplish," says Eliza. "And thus we must try. You speak as if you know the man, Father."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”