Chapter 6: Werewolves of London

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 6: Werewolves of London

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Reg, joining in the toast. "I always was a dab hand with a knife. I think we should stay on the right side of the law. What we need to do is go with Inspector Craddock and the police to see Colonel Hollingsworth. He can't refuse us then. As for the mummy, Colonel Hollingsworth burgled it himself. It's stolen property, and that's reason enough for the police to confiscate it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Harry did look very doubtful when the topic of dead man walking was discussed but held his tongue, leaving the issue for now.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do admire a bit of good knife work."

"But I'm not sure it's fair to say Hollingsworth stole the treasure and mummy. Spoils of war and all that. If we counted everything brought home at the end of a battle as stolen, trust me, the British Museum would be empty."

"We do need to talk to Hollingsworth though. Question is when? I doubt he'll talk to us at this unsociable hour. Would we be better rugging up and watching this chap Faez, make sure he does nothing untoward, then seeing the colonel tomorrow?"

"Or else, as the good doctor has suggested before, posting a guard tonight on chateaux Hollingsworth?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston distracts himself by mixing a linctus for James' cold.
Spoiler:
Pharmacy 61%[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Preston,He has the ingredients with him?
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
It's a proper Victorian 'natural remedy' made with things from the restaurant table, honey, vinegar, sage, hot water. Google tells me there was also a popular remedy just made with sugar and arsenic but I'll assume we don't have any arsenic to hand.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think Colonel Hollingsworth can wait until morning," says Reg. "The enemy may strike this very night. If we want to talk to him tonight, we'll have to have the police with us. If not, we at least have to guard Kandahar House to ensure nothing untoward happens, but the sooner the mummy is secured, the better. We know they're after it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ebinthetropics
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Ebinthetropics »

"Well, um, doc, thanks for the... tonic. Cheers." James eyes the drink suspiciously, then shrugs and knocks it back. He downs most of it, but gags toward the end and sputters a few drops, which turns into a brief fit of coughing and nose-blowing. He uses his handkerchief back to mop up any remaining moisture.

"My goodness, pardon my rudeness, Miss Helena. That was a doozy." He takes in a deep breath through his nose. "Hooo! Seems to have done the trick for the moment.

"I'm with Reg, we thought it was probably one, maybe two men, or at least I did, and it turns out there were four just at Dr Jordan's. Who's to say there aren't more? Let's call on the Inspector and move tonight, unsociable hour or no."

honestly I just made a half mug of this,I didn't have sage so I substituted herbes de provence. Of course I don't know the proportions, but it came off like a mild herb tea, not that bad. James totally overreacted. Should he get his 1hp back?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,James regains 1HP due to Preston’s Victorian quackery.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

LAUGH,All this from an era that thought mercury was a great cure all!
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry raises an eyebrow at the tonic related shenanigans but does not comment. He occupies himself knocking back oysters.

"What say we rug up and guard Hollingsworth's digs tonight, with a view to confronting him tomorrow? With or without the constabulary."
OOC,Beyond wearing lots, is there anything our heroes can do to avoid freezing overnight? Did Harry see anywhere they could guard Kandahar House from that might provide any shelter or warmth?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,If your plan was to guard the house from the outside, you wouldn’t have any shelter. Without appropriate clothing (probably even with) you’ll freeze.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Medically I would advise against prolonged exposure in these conditions. I don't want to end up sawing off any of your frostbitten toes. You say you traced Faez to the Somerset Hotel? Why not beard the lion in his den, so to speak?"
Ebinthetropics
Layman
Layman

Post by Ebinthetropics »

James screws up his face in thought for a moment, then with a slight grimace, he says "I know this might come as a bit distasteful to we military men used to chains of command, but we are no longer all together members of His Majesty's Armed Forces. I say we put it to a vote.

"Option A: we ask the Inspector to join us at the Colonel's tonight. Confront him, reclaim the statue and either burn it or ship it back to Africa, perhaps after consulting Mr. Faez as to the best course.

"Option B: we wait to see the Colonel tomorrow, and engage with Mr Faez in the meantime, see if he can enlighten us further regarding.... this."
He gestures to the translations.

"I hesitate to split up again, as we are faced with multiple enemies of unknown... constitution, and there is safety in numbers."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Option A gets my vote," says Reg.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC:   Whoa! Hang on, we're coming up to what feels like an important decision. Rather than jump to "let's take a vote", Can the PCs discuss for a bit longer and everyone have a chance to have some input?  

Harry looks frostily at James, putting down an oyster.

"Why, Mr Winter, you surprise me. I had not thought that I had ever once pulled rank since the day I resigned my commission. I should have said since then we have always acted by consent and agreement."

"As to the options, let me be clear that I do not trust Faez any further than I could throw him. He is currently a mystery and until we know more about him, I shall consider him one of the enemy."

"Also, I do not know how you will find that inspector chap at this time of night, I imagine he's gone to his home. I suppose most of us could head to Hollingsworth's house while one person tries to find the chap."

"Or else we confront Hollingsworth ourselves."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"I agree with the captain, Faez seems a likely suspect who would have an interest in the scrolls stolen from Dr. Jordan."

He checks his pocket watch. Is it feasible to visit the hotel tonight without attracting undue attention?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It’s about 8.30pm now, so it’s fine to visit the hotel. And it’s a mummy, not a statue.
Ebinthetropics
Layman
Layman

Post by Ebinthetropics »

mummy,I know but James is easily confused
James is quickly apologetic. He grabs the Captain's other hand if it is not holding an oyster shucking knife. "Harry, I am very sorry. I meant no rebuke to you. If I've given offense, then for that I apologize.

"I merely meant, since the hour is growing late, to present our apparent possible choices of action, and bring about a group decision. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd entertain them, but what else can we do at this point?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I doubt very much Inspector Craddock will be resting tonight," says Reg. "Those two dead men we provided him with this afternoon are an important lead for him, and if I read the man right, he'll still be working on the case. We should at least see if he's around at Scotland Yard."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry waves away James' concern with a put-upon sigh. "Very well, apology accepted."

"What about this. One person go find the inspector. A second makes discreet enquiries about Faez at his hotel without attracting attention. The rest of us go straight to Hollingsworth's house."

"I volunteer for Hollingsworth. I haven't seen any action yet today and that seems the pointy end."

"Only question with that plan is do we confront Hollingsworth immediately or wait till the Metropolitan Police arrive?"

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”