915 AD - The Civitas

[They] "transport beaver hides, the pelts of the black fox and swords from the farthest reaches of the Saqaliba to the Sea of Rum [i.e., the Black Sea]. The ruler of Rum [i.e., the Byzantine Empire] takes a tithe of them. If they wish, they go to the Tnys river [i.e., "Tanais", the Greek name of the Don River], Yitil [i.e., Itil, the ancient name of the Volga], or Tin [variously identified as Don or Seversky Donets], the River of the Saqaliba. They travel to Khamlij, the city of the Khazars whose ruler takes a tithe of them. Then they betake themselves to the Sea of Jurjan [Caspian Sea] and they alight on whichever of its shores they wish. ... Sometimes, they carry their goods from Jurjan by camel to Baghdad. Saqlab slaves translate for them. They claim that they are Christians and pay the jizya."

885-886, Ibn Khordadbeh writing about the Rus merchants who brought goods from Northern Europe and Northwestern Russia to Baghdad

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

915 AD - The Civitas

Post by ghill »

Exiting the tower you are lead through another gate. It becomes apparent that the village is separated into two halves within the stockade walls, the half with the Lords tower includes such things as the smithy, warehouse, stables, kennels and a small barracks, the other half is the village proper within its confines you notice there is a small chapel (in fact the priest you can see the White Priest walking ahead of you in its general direction), Burgholfs tavern/warehouse/home and about a dozen small homes. Just from general observation, you would say that the Lords House and those who serve it are largely followers of the White God (Christians) while the village is largely made up of Pagans.

You are met at the door to the tavern by Brun* who introduces herself as Burgolf's daughter, she makes you feel welcome in the tavern's single room and finds you a place at the huge table which fills the room. The room is slowly emptying of regulars as it is late (after dark) Burgholf** himself comes over with a jug of what turns out to be the local wine which he places on the table in front of you.

*Brun - 16, blonde haired very attractive.
**Burgholf tall, but soft, a typical merchant type.
OOC:   Pagan in this sense means anyone worshipping anything other than the Norse Gods or a Christian.  
OOC:   Mr Handy, the old woman stayed in the room, but the priest left as soon as the lord got up. If you were observing them you would realise the woman did not flinch when the screaming started, whereas the priest clearly winced.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: 915 AD - The Civitas

Post by Mr. Handy »

Aethelwulf pours himself a cup and tastes the wine, savoring it rather than gulping it down. "Thank you, it's excellent," he says. "Lord Brant told us you could arrange for us to send a message back to our employer, Olaf the Golden. We can provide directions to where he landed."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Starspawn338 »

Garpur reaches over and pours himself a glass when Aethulwulf is finished.

"The Lord said you might have some furs to trade also."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

Valbrand takes the wine jug third and adds, "He also said we may be able to board with you, since he wishes for us to remain here for a little while."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Burgholf gets directions to where the boat is and says one of the locals will head out before dawn on horseback with a message.

There is a room around the back with cots for you to sleep in Brun will show you. I have some furs and a great deal of other things if you are interested in trading? He adds with a smile
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Once Burgholf leaves them alone at the table, Garpur speaks softly to the others. "What do you make of the Lord here? I do not like being told I cannot leave and would not like to end up in the dungeon accused of consorting with whatever devils butchered the men we came across."
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Valbrand looks around to make sure no one is eavesdropping on them before leaning in to say, "I've never liked those Christians. They have...
strange beliefs."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I dislike not being allowed to leave too," says Aethelwulf quietly, "but we have little choice in the matter. You heard the screams. I do not know what to make of the Lord, but things could always be worse. I have heard of the White God before, who the Christians say has risen from the dead. How is that possible?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Valbrand licks his lips and whispers, "Sorcery? And what about those headless men?"
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"It was not sorcery that killed those men. Garpur shakes his head to clear his mind of the horrific vision that he doesn't want to haunt his dreams and then downs his wine and pours another. "Why were the men beheaded and what did they do with the heads?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

When you have drunk your fill Brun comes over to show you to where you are sleeping (basically a hallway with a raised platform and another fire to keep the area warm - fairly standard)

"Did you see the body they dragged out of the water? I talked to some of the others and they say little Dragan found it" says Brun in halting nordic while she shows you the sleeping place.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We did see it," says Aethelwulf. "I think it was the man we came here to meet, Guyer Sawface. Have you heard of him?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

No, but Pappa may, he deals with everyone who lives near here where would they get all their exciting things and marvels she says smiling while holding up her necklace so everyone can see, clearly proud of her father's importance and probable influence.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Who is this Dragan you speak of? Is he a child?" says Garpur. "Do you think we could speak with him?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"He is one of the village children I think he was playing outside the walls when he found the dead man, his family live in one of the huts outside the village, so if you want to speak to him it will have to be after the gates open tomorrow" she says
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We'll have to do that tomorrow, then," says Aethelwulf. "In the meantime, we can speak to your father."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

It is the next morning before you get a chance to speak to Burgholf You find him seated at a small table surrounded by wax tablets and styli in his warehouse (a grand name for what really amounts to a very sturdily build shed) he is clearly taking stock of his merchandise. From the doorway you can see swords, knives and other weapons, stirrups and other riding gear, baskets and barrels including one which clearly holds a fortune in salt, a variety of food stuffs (honey, beeswax, onions etc) stack of wolfskins as well as pottery and glassware.

If it is the man I think it is says Burgholf then yes I have met Guyer Sawface before he is one of a group of trappers who has passed this way before I offered to buy some of the pelts he had, but he said he had already arranged a sale.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Was that in the last day or two that they came through here?" Garpur asks. "I was also wondering if there has been any missing people around here. Lord Brant mentioned that there had been some trouble with raiders..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did Guyer make any enemies while he was here?" asks Aethelwulf.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

They came through a few days ago I guess, bought some supplies and then headed off west (the direction of the river) I don't think they made any enemies here or certainly none I was aware of. It was not as though they were here long enough to ake any, they came ate and drank some finished their trade and left. I assume to meet your man at the river. says Burgholf

As to raiders, they are a constant problem they vex our lord he and the priests came a decade or so ago, some people here worship the Lord Christus but many of the villagers keep to our old ways, but whoever you are you expect the Lord to keep you safe. he adds.

Return to “Mare Balticum”