Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Chapter the Eleventh: An Interrupted Celebration

Post by Rooter »

Unconvinced by Isaac's explanation, Lila kneels to examine the bodies.
Spoiler:
Demonology roll for identifying a possible preternatural cause of death
INT 11 + 1 Demonology + 1 TI[dice]0[/dice]
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

All that can be unequivocally determined about the demise of the soldiers is that they were exposed at some time to extreme cold; a fact which is obvious to all.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

"I think we are both sure this was no natural death, yes?" murmurs Ines to Miss Davenport.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I am certainly beginning to wonder. I think we should continue with or without Miss Carrow. In this direction lies the old library, the children's bedrooms and the chapel." Lila pauses to light one of the torches before gingerly searching the dead soldiers' pockets for any clues.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You fainted when you saw the two soldiers, my dear," explains Henry. "They appear to have frozen to death. I could examine their bodies in more detail later to get a better idea of exactly how they died. They seem to have been terrified of something. At least Guillaume wasn't with them. Are you all right to continue, Elizabeth, or would you rather go back? Those of us who are staying should try the chapel first. That seems the safest place. Someone should alert the Baron and Baroness about the soldiers."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 3 For True Love + 1 for True Innocent = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor North's tender manner towards Miss Carrow heartens her resolve.

"I will face whatever awaits us, as long as you are by my side," she says softly.

Isaac volunteers to inform their hosts of this unfortunate incident. He leaves the party.

Close examination of the two soldiers does not reveal anything else about the manner of their deaths, nor do they carry anything of interest upon their persons.

There being a great deal of clutter in the hallway leading to the chapel, the party proceeds slowly and carefully to the chapel, allowing ample time for Isaac to return. He states that arrangements have been made for servants to discreetly bury the bodies, with all appropriate ceremony, at a convenient time.

The abandoned chapel lies beyond a heavy wooden door which is currently held shut by a heavy latch and lock, preventing easy entry.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines directs a glance after the retreating Isaac, trying to be sure that he is indeed returning to the inhabited portion of the Chateau.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 TI = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I believe I can deal with this lock," says Henry, examining it closely. He first checks to see if there are any traps, and then sees if the latch is metal. If it is, he will try to open it by using his lodestone's magnetic properties. Failing that, he will attempt to pick the lock.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Image

Ines directs a glance after the retreating Isaac, trying to be sure that he is indeed returning to the inhabited portion of the Chateau.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 TI = 12[dice]206654:0[/dice]
Acting on a hunch, the wary Gypsy is able to determine that the direction in which Isaac sets out would take him to his own room instead of to the Baron and the Baroness.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"I believe I can deal with this lock," says Henry, examining it closely. He first checks to see if there are any traps, and then sees if the latch is metal. If it is, he will try to open it by using his lodestone's magnetic properties. Failing that, he will attempt to pick the lock.
Upon closer examination, it is evident that there are several fresh scratch marks on the door around the latch, as if it had been meddled with recently. It is also obvious that the latch is of great age, but the lock is a new one. Both are constructed from ordinary iron and steel. There is no evidence of any traps associated with them. As Nature dictates, the metal reacts in the expected manner to the lodestone, being attracted to it and moving the mechanism within the lock with many a quiet clicking sound. However interesting this phenomenon may be, it does not appear to have been of benefit in opening the lock, which is strong, but of simple design. Doctor North proceeds with subtler methods.
Spoiler:
I'm thinking the magnet won't do much, but there's a good chance of picking the lock.
DEX = 10 + 3 Mechanical Genius + 1 TI = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Unfortunately all of Doctor North's skill with mechanical devices avails him naught, most likely because this lock is designed to make use of sheer brute strength to resist all attempts to tamper with it.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines alerts the other members of the party to Isaac's course.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Perhaps we should ask the Baron for the key. Yet given the grave state of matters it may be expedient to attempt a forced entry. The latch is of great age. Ivan, is your strength equal to breaking the door down? Otherwise, I wonder if the broken window we saw from outside might lead to the chapel and provide a way in for us." After a moment's thought, Lila adds, "But these soldiers were outside of the locked chapel when they died." She looks at the position of the bodies to see if it is possible to determine which direction they were moving toward, or away from, when they were apparently struck down.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The mighty Russian nods, indicating that he is willing to try, if his master allows it.
Spoiler:
As this is an unusually secure door, this will require making us of Ivan's daily Feat of Strength, adding 3 to his basic strength.
The position of the bodies indicates that the soldiers were outside the chapel, facing it, when they were last alive.

It occurs to the party that, given the position of the broken window, it could not have been leading to the chapel; in fact, if memory serves, the view of the Chateau seen during the excursion without suggests that the chapel has no windows at all.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd prefer to minimize the damage we do to the door," says Henry. "If you feel there's no time to ask the Baron for the key, I have something else I can try first. I still have the aqua regia we found in that old castle. It dissolves metal, and it should make quick work of the lock and latch."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"That sounds like a good idea," Lila concurs.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

These two ideas having been discussed, Isaac offers a bit of information that may be of interest.

"I believe the Baron keeps the the key somewhere in his study," he remarks.

The party may choose to attempt to obtain the key, or make use of the aqua regia.

By this time two male servants have arrived to take care of the bodies. It is obvious that they find the task an unpleasant one, but wisely ask no questions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Is time truly of the essence now?" asks Henry. "We've waited this long to explore this part of the Chateau. Surely a few more minutes to retrieve the key won't matter? I'd hate to cause damage to our host's home, even if he never uses this part of it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Yes, quite, if we are able to convince the Baron, who has not been entirely agreeable to us entering these parts. Otherwise a measure of deception of our host will be required in any case in order to obtain the key."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The fact that his son's life is danger should be sufficient motivation," says Henry. "The other two soldiers froze to death in this part of the Chateau, and our locating him is his only chance. Elizabeth could certainly help with persuading him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Subterfuge would be of less help than persuasion," says Ines, "unless any of us would know the right key by sight."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”