OOC - Chapter 1

The Big Apple - a booming city in the grip of a bitter winter and the excitement of an upcoming eclipse.
A close friend returns home a changed man; the fate of the world is now in his hands, but it may already be too late.

Moderator: Raiko

Mallet
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Re: OOC - Chapter 1

Post by Mallet »

Somehow the "plus" function does not seem to be working.

When I type formulas like 1d4+4, I still get results like "4", which is impossible.

What am I doing wrong ?
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

It tells you the roll you got out of the TOTAL. Okay. Didn't quite work, by I think the gist of it is clear.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mallet »

Well, "something" works,

but there is absolutely no difference between [dice][/dice] and [dice=[/dice]

:?

Naturally, I can always add to the results by hand after the die roll, so it's not a big deal.
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mallet »

So re-reading yet again the OOC thread I found this information:
Raiko wrote:
I'd prefer to use the Dholes House dice roller because:
a) It provides a full list of every dice roll made by a player, which is handy for looking back at when we make use of CoC's stupidly random experience system at the end of the chapter. It also allows me to make "secret" rolls that are maintained in a list, but not visible in the forum.
b) My experience of the in-forum dice roller elsewhere (giants in the playground forums) is that sometimes posts get messed up. At least with the DH site the original roll is still there, regardless of any problems with the post. (...)

I genuinely couldn't care less which dice roller we use (roll a d100 at home if you like), but the XP system is still a pain. I'm not trawling back through the forum to find all the dice rolls at the end of the chapter, so if you don't want to use the DH roller, then you'll need to make sure that I tell you whether to tick the skill check box when you make the roll. And you'll be responsible for maintaining your character sheet. (...)

Obviously that's no different to a tabletop game, but it's harder to remember that you didn't tick after a library use roll from six months ago than it is from last weekend. Many forum games are one-shots so they aren't affected by CoC's eccentric XP system.
Given this information, I will try to locate this Dholes House website and open an account.

EDIT: OK, registered my account, did a test roll, and everything seems fine.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Welcome welcome.

As an aside, maybe wait until the GM posts something saying we have moved on to the next day?
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

I'm afraid that I'll have to agree with Andy here. Though, to be honest, unless Raiko have other plans, its somewhat safe to say that moving onto the next day is safe. Just...keep in mind next time.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mallet »

andyw666 wrote:Welcome welcome.

As an aside, maybe wait until the GM posts something saying we have moved on to the next day?
Oops, sorry about that ... :oops:
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

It's all good!
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Raiko »

Okay, so it turns out that I'm far too nice a dad and never bothered to kick my autistic son off my laptop, where he's spent most of the festive period playing Roblox. So my availability wasn't what I expected.

I'm going to reread your last few posts and will attempt to get some posts done today.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

@Mallet, regarding dice rolls, we just went with the forum dice roller in the end.
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mallet »

Raiko wrote:@Mallet, regarding dice rolls, we just went with the forum dice roller in the end.
OK, so I will take note of my expenditure of Skills.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Sorry, having a couple of real life issues getting I'm the way - nothing serious, but it stopped me posting.

Stay tuned, I promise that I'm still here. Too tired to post IC stuff tonight.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

All good. It's holidays, sunny and blue skies here in the southern hemisphere, the cricket and tennis are on, and there's any number of ways to while the day away. In short, I am too relaxed to be in a rush!
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Real life stuff resolved - I'll get post again tomorrow. :)
andyw666 wrote:All good. It's holidays, sunny and blue skies here in the southern hemisphere, the cricket and tennis are on, and there's any number of ways to while the day away. In short, I am too relaxed to be in a rush!
It's a shame us Brits haven't offered any kind of opposition whatsoever in the cricket!

(or the men's tennis with Andy Murray pulling out)
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mallet »

Just checking to see if this game is still going on ?

:)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Yes.

Sorry, I've been really busy and then quite ill and struggled to get online.

Promise I'm still here. Will resume posting asap.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

You should get well first, mate.
Strength!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Feeling much better recently thanks. :)

January turned out to be a wipe out due to various good and bad real life events keeping me offline.

I sincerely hope that February will be a more normal month.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Fingers crossed, mate!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

After the last false re-start I regretfully think that I'll have to pull the plug on this game. Last time around some of the players were understandably reluctant to join back in, and then I went and spoiled things for replacement players by making a few posts and then vanishing again.

I really do want to run through Masks online, but unfortunately this game has now gotten to a stage where it takes a significant effort to get myself back up to speed with who's who again.

With the new edition just out - I'll be buying the pdf on Friday, which is my payday - would anyone be interested in joining a game using the new edition campaign and 7th Edition rules/characters? Possibly with a low-pulp level as well? Generally speaking 7th Edition fixes the (few) things that I disliked about previous CoC editions, and so while it's not prefect it is my favourite edition.

I'd run the whole campaign, including the new Peru prologue, and would of course give first shout of a spot to anyone from this game who'd like to give me a new chance.

Real life kept on kicking me in the teeth during this game, but I'm optimistic that life's going to be good going forward - certainly my wife is in a much better place these days, so fingers crossed things will stay good for me.

I hope that none of you are too angry, the last couple of years have been very difficult in real life, but I love play by post, especially for call of cthulhu and really want to run this amazing adventure.

Return to “Chapter 1 - New York, January 1925”