[IC - MEXICO] La Paz

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC - MEXICO] La Paz

Post by Overlord87 »

You make a quick stop at the hotel to leave the record in a safe place, then head to the La Paz. reaching your destination around 3 PM. It turns out to be a traditional cantina, with ruined walls holding up a sloped roof of clay tiles. Inside, it's a deep room with a colorful but mistreated tile floor beneath a high ceiling of wooden rafters and electric fans. A modest wooden stage is tucked into one back corner, across from a tiny kitchen. The walls sport painting of la Virgen de Guadalupe and El Cid, hung against frescos depicting the Mexican countryside at dusk.

You first notice the man behind the bar, a large middle-aged man with long black hair and a large quantity of tattoos. His body is a tapestry of women's names and bleeding hearts, punctuated by an ornate gold-colored cross, inked over the length of his sternum. If a body can tell a story, this man's body tells a story of piety and heartbreaks.

There are three more people sitting at the tables. Two are men, wearing cheap clothes and staring into their drinks as they are probably going to do for the next several hours. They don't seem to care at all about you. On another table, in a corner, sits a young woman that clashes distinctly with the general atmosphere of the place. She's pretty and wears a casual yet charming outfit, favoring bright colors like red and orange. She is reading a book: She, by H. Rider Haggard, but she looks at you with interest as you walk into the cantina.
Ian,The woman casts a flirtatious smile at you when your eyes meet for a second.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC - MEXICO] La Paz

Post by Mr. Handy »

Holly looks back at the woman, smiling. "Good day," she says. "I take it from your choice of reading material that you know English. How is the book?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Huang Yan stayed out at the back and remained silent.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher exits their vehicle and tries not to show his distaste at the state of the cantina, the place looked like it was about to fall over, probably overrun with rats, he shuddered.

Christopher takes a few moments to study the street* for anything untoward, they wouldn't want to be ambushed by the thugs that were after Victor

*Sense Trouble,[dice]0[/dice]
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The young woman flashes a warm smile and answers your question: "Oh, this one? Well, it's very interesting. You know all those adventure books with explorers going around in Africa or Asia, finding all kinds of ancient civilizations and lost worlds? This is one of the first - and probably one of the best. And there's this great character, a queen called Ayesha...", she struggles for a second with the word, trying to find the best pronunciation, then seems satisfied with how she said it, and keeps talking: "A queen, I was saying, and a strong leader. Not the usual damsel in distress you find in this sort of books", she winks at Holly, then stands up and offers you her hand. "Elena Alcatruz. And you are?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Holly Chastain," says Holly, giving her hand a firm shake. "That book sounds right up my alley. I'll have to read it sometime. I've actually been learning about archaeology lately. There are many interesting ruins of ancient civilizations such as the Maya right here in Mexico. I'm planning to see some of them while I'm here. Do you know of any sites of interest?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

“I’m nobody important, my name is Hua Ming, a physician from China, pleased to meet you. A few tales of awful ritualistic partaking of unhealthy narcotics caught my attention in the area, care to enlighten me?” Huang Yuang moved up and smiled, habitually offering up a pusedonym as he conversed with the woman. “The stories that you mentions are...fascinating as well, care to elaborate, senõra?”
Disguise,[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Cameron groans audibly at Huang Yan’s question. He’s beginning to worry that the Chinese doctor might prove to be a danger to them.

Taking Huang Yan’s arm in a firm grip, he whispers in his ear, trying to keep his voice civil.

“It might not be a good idea to ask complete strangers if they are involved in narcotics, don’t you think? Why don’t you just get some drinks for us and sit down?” He gives Huang Yan a five-dollar bill.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Huang Yan nodded nonchalantly. “Sure. Sure. Whatever you say, senõr, whatever you say.”
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian Morin

Ian smiles doubtfully at Elena, looking over his shoulders to check if she was really looking at him. All of a sudden he feels sweaty.

He takes Elena's hand and kiss it gently, in a gesture that may be considered too formal for the occasion. "I'm Ian. Ian Morin. Please to meet you."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Elena seems a little confused when hearing about narcotics: "Look, don't say anything about that stuff to Tonio over there", she nods towards the tattooed man, "He's very religious, doesn't like to hear about narcotics, and he doesn't want any in his place", she moves around her arms to include the whole cantina.
She smiles charmingly to Ian's gentleman kiss, then turns towards Holly: "Miss Chastain... Can I call you Holly? I'm not really a fan of old ruins. I mean, I know I should probably be, it's our past, our roots, and so on... but there's so much new and exciting stuff going on out there. Did you know that Frida Kahlo was born right here in Coyoacán?", she asks, her eyes lighting up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please do call me Holly," she says. "No, I didn't know that Frida Kahlo was born here, though I have heard of her. I'm also interested in the arts. I heard that musicians perform here. Do you know anything about them?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Not sure if Christopher spotted anything untoward or not?  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Elena answers with a large smile: "Oh, I know everything about everyone performing here. I am the one that picks them up, after all. Tonio doesn't really have an ear for music, I'm afraid. What do you want to know?"
Christopher,A car passes you by as you're on watch outside. A middle-aged mexican is inside, slightly overweight. He seems to cast a curious glance at you, but doesn't stop. Apart from that, the road is empty, and you don't notice anything threatening.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I'd like to know their names and what kind of music they play, for starters," says Holly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   If possible Christopher will take down the licence plate and then join the others inside the cantina.  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Well, that's a little bit vague, you know... we have half a dozen bands playing here, and inside each band, musicians often come and go. Were you looking for something in particular? I think I could be more helpful if you're more specific".
Christopher,You write down the license plate and join the others inside.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Perhaps Victor is the best person to provide a description - he knows their names.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You do get a lot of acts here," says Holly. "There's one woman I've heard of named Leticia. Does she perform here?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

“Perhaps a band of jazz players, with the lead guitarist called Javier Luna, señora.” Huang Yan said, adding some more information. “Do they ring any bells?”

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”