The Dunwich Legacy

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: The Dunwich Legacy

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Okay. I need Wendy to take an easy test so that she can shake off her double Cursed Luck.  
Cardroom flipped,[img]https://arkhamdb.com/bundles/cards/02073.jpg[/img]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 3 Investigator Phase

"Wendy's got the bar covered," says Sefina. "Let's check out the cardroom." She and Leo stroll through the other door into a room filled with card tables and gamblers. "Now this is my kind of place!" She and Leo sit down at a couple of empty seats at one of the tables. She takes a wad of cash out of her handbag and buys a stack of chips. As she plays, she keeps her ears open for any useful information. For a while, she doesn't hear anything, and her pile of chips steadily dwindles. If you're looking around the table, she thinks, and you don't know who the mark is, it's you. Realizing that the game is rigged, she counters by cheating back, concealing an ace in her dress (not up her sleeve, for she doesn't have any). In a later hand, she manages to get the other three aces, secretly adding her fourth and replacing a junk card with it. She goes all in and manages to win the hand, getting back half of the chips she has lost. As she does, she hears whispered rumors about Dr. Morgan.
OOC,Are you allowed to Investigate even if there are no clues? If so, play a Flashlight and then activate it, using Lucky if necessary to get +2 so that you succeed by at least 1. Remember that the minimum number you can get after the chaos bag modifies it is 0, and the Flashlight reduces shroud by 2. With Lucky, you are guaranteed to succeed as long as you don't draw tentacles. Just don't enter the Cardroom. Otherwise, you'll draw the [b]Pit Boss[/b] after you, and I won't be able to pick up more clues next turn. Action 1: Move to Clover Club Cardroom Action 2: Play Emergency Cache Action 3: Spend 2 resources to activate Clover Club Cardroom: [dice]0[/dice] -1. Nothing happens. Action 4: Spend 2 resources to activate Clover Club Cardroom: [dice]1[/dice] -1. Reaction: "Cheat" in order to turn that token into an Elder Sign. If I don't do this, we'll never get enough clues before the agenda advances. Gain 2 clues and 2 resources. Draw Backstab. Fast Action: Activate Forbidden Knowledge. Take 1 horror and gain 1 resource. I'm going to need more resources once all hell inevitably breaks loose.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Good idea about the Flashlight.  

Action 1: Spend 2 resources and Play Flashlight.

Action 2: Activate Flashlight and Investigate the Bar.

Shroud 3 -2[Flashlight] vs. 3[Intellect]-1 -1[Cursed Luck x2], Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (skull -2)

Um, um--reaction (Wendy's ability), discard Flashlight and cancel Chaos token. Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] (skull -2) :P
OOC:   Couldn't keep Lucky!  
Fast Play Lucky!, success and discard both Cursed Luck cards.

He led the woozy girl towards a side room. Wendy was disorientated and frankly didn't appreciate the man's intent or realise the desperate situation she faced.

"Oi! mate," intervened a red-faced sailor, "where are you off to with the young lady?" The man blustered, and the sailor took a swing at his jaw. Wendy, oblivious to the fight but now coming to her senses, wandered away through the bar.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   I'm cancelling Wendy's reaction re-draw and taking back Flashlight from my discards. I got muddled between the 1s 0s and -2s and have since realised that I had a 1 in 15 chance (+1) to keep Lucky!--not odds which I'd take voluntarily.  
Enemy Phase 3

Clover Pit Boss moves to Bar.

Upkeep Phase 3

Sefina draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Wendy draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Wendy pulled at the furry ear of the bear hidden inside her cardigan. "Mr. Pawterson," she whispered, "I love you!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Awww... :)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mythos Phase 4

Place 1 doom on the agenda (3/4).

Sefina draws Image

Wendy draws Image

OOC:   Pit Boss stays in the Bar watching Wendy who now has only 1 action!  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm pretty sure Something in the Drinks only costs you one action period (in the current turn), not one action in every turn. The other copy of that card you drew last turn already had its effect. It's a good thing you drew Hunted Down and not me, or I'd have to take down the [b]Pit Boss[/b] before we could finish collecting clues. I think I should go first this time. I'll have to stomp the rats before I can take any other actions, which I hope won't take long. Then I'll get the final two clues (cheating if I don't draw an Elder Sign). That will automatically advance the Act, so we can see what happens next before we spend our remaining actions.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Yeah, I just read "Treachery" in the rules reference and it says after any effects place the card in the discard pile, so Wendy has 2 actions.

The act advances immediately we have 8 clues... Good luck against those rats!  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 4 Investigator Phase

Sefina shrieks as a swarm of ugly rats scurries out of the walls and underfoot. She and Leo stomp them into bloody pulps, and then they return their attention to the card game. Sefina has to go all in again, and though she gets a terrible hand, she is able to cheat and turn it into a full house. It would have been less ominous if that hand hadn't been aces over eights, however.
OOC,Thanks! Action 1: Fight the Swarm of Rats (Combat 2 vs. 1[Swarm of Rats]): [dice]0[/dice] Skull. Spend 2 resources to treat the -2 as a 0, which is a success. Swarm of Rats defeated. Action 2: Spend 2 resources to activate Clover Club Cardroom: [dice]1[/dice] Reaction: "Cheat" to replace the tentacles with an Elder Sign. Gain 2 clues and 2 resources. I choose not to draw an event from under me. My hand is full, and they're more useful where they are. 8 clues spent collectively to advance the Act.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ImageImage

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 4 Investigator Phase

Sefina takes her winnings and goes over to the door to the bar, where she beckons to Wendy to join her. Then she cashes in her chips. Leo slips her a derringer, which she conceals in her palm. "You'll need that," he whispers. "There's gonna be trouble soon."
OOC,Fast Action: Activate Forbidden Knowledge. Gain 1 resource and take 1 horror. Action 3: Play The Painted World as Emergency Cache. Gain 3 resources. Action 4: Play .41 Derringer, spending 3 resources. You should join me in the Cardroom. I think I can take out the [b]Pit Boss[/b] when he follows you next turn with Backstab and the Derringer.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Yes! let's get him. The turn after at Darkened Hall Wendy could play Bait and Switch to move O'Bannion's Thug?  

"All clear?" asked Wendy after she joined Sefina. Her breath inhaled sharply when she glimpsed the derringer. "Is that for..." she glanced back at the bar, "He's coming!"

Action 1: Move to Clover Club Cardroom.

Action 2: Action 2: Activate Dario El-Amin. Exhaust and gain 2 resources.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, good thinking! In fact, if I have an action remaining to move into the Darkened Hall next turn, you can follow me in, engage the [b]Thug[/b], and use Bait and Switch on the same turn. You could also use Resourceful to improve your odds and get Lucky! back if you succeed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Enemy Phase 4

Clover Club Pit Boss moves to Cardroom.

Upkeep Phase 4

Ready Dario El-Amin.

Sefina draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Wendy draws Image and gains 1 resource.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mythos Phase 5

Place 1 doom on the agenda (4/4).

ImageImage

Sefina draws Image

Wendy draws Image

Chaos Bag [dice]0[/dice] -2
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That Cursed Luck bites. I think I should go first and engage and try to defeat the [b]Pit Boss[/b]. I was planning to use Backstab and commit Unexpected Courage, but if "Max 1 committed" means that's the only card we can commit, my odds go down here, and I can't afford to miss. If that is what it means, I could still have decent odds if you commit Hiding Spot and I commit Pickpocketing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Sure! I'll commit Hiding Spot if needed. I'm sure that "commit 1 max" means 1 copy only of Unexpected Courage but you may add different cards to the test.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Investigator Phase

The Pit Boss follows Wendy in from the bar and grabs her from behind. "Gotcha, you little urchin!" he snarls.

Sefina sneaks up behind him. "Hey, pick on someone your own size!" she yells. The man drops Wendy and spins around, just in time to get a powerful punch in the kidney. He still doesn't go down, so Sefina fires her derringer, hitting him between the eyes. He collapses, unmoving. "Come on, we can't stick around here." She hurries into the darkened hallway. As she does, she bumps right into another goon, who seizes her.

"You're a pretty one," he says with a leer. "You won't be any more by the time I'm through with you."

"Help!" cries Sefina, struggling in vain to break free.
OOC,I had originally thought so too, but I wasn't sure after looking at arkhamdb, where it said it was "Max 1 Committed across all players." Looking at BoardGameGeek, however, it seems that we're right. Even so, I'd rather save Unexpected Courage for something other than an Agility test. Action 1: Engage [b]Clover Club Pit Boss[/b] Action 2: Play Backstab. Fight [b]Clover Club Pit Boss[/b]: (Agility 4 - 1[Cursed Luck] + 2[Hiding Spot] + 1[Pickpocketing] = 6 vs. 3[[b]Clover Club Pit Boss[/b]]): [dice]0[/dice] -2. Success by 1. Cursed Luck discarded. 3 damage dealt to [b]Clover Club Pit Boss[/b]. Action 3: Activate .41 Derringer. Fight [b]Clover Club Pit Boss[/b]: (Combat 2 + 2[.41 Derringer] = 4 vs. 3[[b]Clover Club Pit Boss[/b]]): [dice]1[/dice] +3. Success. 1 damage dealt to [b]Clover Club Pit Boss[/b], who is defeated. Draw Emergency Cache. Action 4: Move to Darkened Hall.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Action 1: Move to Darkened Hallway.

Action 2: Engage O'Bannion's Thug.

Action 3: Play Bait and Switch.

Agility 4 +1[Resourceful (cost 1 resource)] vs. 2, Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] -4; fail. :cry: Wendy's ability: Discard Flashlight [dice]1[/dice] +0; success, Lucky! taken in hand from the discards, O'Bannion's Thug moved to Cardroom.

"Hey! you, ugly," insisted Wendy, thumping on the thug's back, "pick on someone you're own size."

He swivelled and swung a meaty fist into the air above Wendy's head. "Huh?" he puffed.

"He went thataway," said Wendy innocently, pointing emphatically back to the Cardroom.

"I'll git d' basterd!" he grunted, and the neanderthal loped off, swearing and puffing.

Wendy smiled and shrugged at Sefina: "What an idiot!"

Image Image
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Investigator Phase

"Thank you so much," says Sefina, giving Wendy a hug as the door locks, trapping the thug outside.
OOC,Nicely done!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Dunwich Legacy”