Day 1: Flying in

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Moderator: evil_scientist

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Day 1: Flying in

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley trudges slowly back to camp.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,It's 3:20. The hike down to the river and the landing site will take about an hour.
Stanley and Harry,The winds still howl between the trees, stirring up dry spruce needles around the investigators, but not touching them. However, when [b]Stanley [/b]slowly starts walking towards camp, after a few steps, he feels like passing through a wall of tempest! He almost gets knocked over by the violent gush of the wind. The air is cold, but it feels like red hot iron against the exposed skin of his face. A second later it is Harry who feels the air (ice cold and scorching hot at the same time) rushing by him. Then there is a strange, shrilling sound, and a sudden change in the nature of the wind. While the investigators were speaking, the winds hung in suspension around them, a few steps away... but now the whirlwind is in motion! Before the very eyes of the investigators, spiraling lines are drawn on the ground, the dry twigs and needles marking the trajectory of the wind's movements. In the epicenter of the double spiral, the tall pillar of a tornado rises! Not as tall as the one in the camp that killed Antal, but just as vicious and menacing. --- Harry, roll [b][color=#FF0000]SAN (0/1)[/color][/b]! [img]http://www.kiwimummyblogs.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/double-spiral-tattoo.jpg[/img]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Jeff figures he can make it down to the landing site with about half an hour to spare; the machete will come in use to cut the ties of the wrecked airplane to clear the area. With that he sets out from the camp for the landing site; if the others are still alive and sane they'll no doubt meet him there and if not, well, he doesn't intend to spend a moment longer than necessary in this godforsaken place.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should take shelter..." says Stanley.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller
Spoiler:
San 60-10%= 54
[dice]0[/dice]
Harry braces himself against the wind. "Run Stanley! We gotta find Jeff!"

He attempts to make a dash for it around the whirlwind, in the direction of the camp.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley also runs for the camp.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,Jeff can hear the wind roaring, somewhere in the distance, from where he came from. He gathers the tools and heads down towards the river. The path is muddy and slippery... This is going to be a long hike.
Stanley and Harry,The whirlwind hangs in the air menacingly for a split second, then swings into motion! ------ [dice]0[/dice] 1, 2 - the whirlwind goes after [b]Stanley[/b]. Roll [b]Dodge[/b]! 3 - the whirlwind goes after [b]Harry[/b]. Roll [b]Dodge[/b]!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley doesn't move fast enough to avoid the whirlwind.
OOC,Dodge roll (60% skill) to avoid the whirlwind: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff walks at a steady pace, careful of his footing on the muddy ground.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley,The whirlwind picks up Stanley as if he were a ragdoll. The forest swirls around his eyes at a tremendous speed, then he is abruptly sent flying, and collides with a tree! ---- [b]Damage[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
Harry,Harry runs through the forest, trying his best not to trip and fall. The roaring whirlwind goes after Stanley... and the next moment Harry sees the body of the Trooper flying through the air and colliding with a tree.
Jeff,This is the fourth time Jeff makes this trip today... But the forest is dark, the path elusive. Can he follow it safely, and get down the river in time? ---- Roll [b]Navigate [/b]or [b]Survival[/b], with a bonus dice.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley tries to pull himself to his feet so he can get back to camp.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Navigate/Survival both 10%[dice]0[/dice]
Bonus dice[dice]1[/dice]
Jeff pauses, swinging his flashlight this way and that, trying to figure out if he's on the right track.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

Harry falters amidst the trees. Fumbling with his torch, he turns it on, pointing it at Stanley.

"You ok?!? Quick, follow me!"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Jeff,Jeff understands, that he has to go "down" to get to the river, so that is what he does, follows the natural slope of the terrain. However, he has the nagging feeling that the path (or what he thinks is a path?) is not the same they used earlier today.
Harry and Stanley,Harry and Stanley continue running through the forest. Stanley is shocked by the impact, but, luckily, his feet are unhurt... or, in any case, the fear and adrenaline keeps him going. But the whirlwind doesn't stop either. It circles around the investigators, and meets Stanley face to face! ---- Roll [b]Dodge[/b] again!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

This time Stanley is ready, and he manages to evade the whirlwind.
OOC,Dodge roll (60% skill) to avoid the whirlwind: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley,As the whirlwind rushes by, Stanley can hear the metallic Voice he knows and fears - but this time it's just a distant echo.
Stanley and Harry,Behind the backs of the running investigators the roaring sound of the wind changes pitch - and then suddenly everything goes dead silent. There's only the sound of their own breathing and footsteps. They whirlwind is nowhere to be seen. Stanley and Harry reach the campsite.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Jeff curses and backtracks, looking for the right path.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Stanley looks around for any sign of Jeff, hoping to pick up the trail of blood again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Stanley and Harry,Back in the forest, Stanley knew where to look in the first place. The campsite, however, is a big territory. Where could have Jeff gone?
Jeff,Roll [b]Luck[/b]!
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Harry Miller

"I'll check the tents! You check the perimeter. He could be anyway. You sure you just winged him?"

Harry nervously watches the trees for any movement..

Return to “Sukakpak”