CH3-04 Down by the shore

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: CH3-04 Down by the shore

Post by BenTheRat »

"Yea, find out what you can about this Alex guy. I'll get back to work. Who knows there might be something that can help us in all of this." Greg says.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy runs to Westerlund "OK Prof... what did you mean when you said that the gold book gave you bad vibes?"
Andy IC:,Andy might not 100% believe in magic but there's been enough weird shit to take notice of any 'odd events'
OOC:,if the golden book is somehow allowing someone to spy 'remote view' on/through it then we could use that to our advantage, possibly laying a trap using the book as bait - or helping to give false info.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

God this will sound so childish. Says Westerlund it is like the book is bad or capable of something bad or f*ck me I don't know maybe its something bad's address book or something. He says with a forced laugh.
OOC:   LIZ (everyone) - Computer use to trawl the net for everything you can find about Alex Rudaj. After which, everyone (but Greg who is too tied up with his translating/research) can make a LIBRARY use roll. The trawl will take you about a week's effort.

GREG - Can I have a 2x POW rolls, please. First is from the feverish study At the end of this week, you will have effectively deciphered the first credible block of history. Failure is -1 SAN. The second POW roll is for SAN loss due to the discoveries.

Andy - is there something specific he wants to do?  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Greg's Power rolls: target = 85 - [dice]0[/dice]

2nd Power roll for loss of sanity? [dice]1[/dice]

So Greg made the first one so I do not suffer -1 sanity. The 2nd one is for sanity loss?? So did I lose 86 sanity points, if so he just lost his mind. ;)  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz crafts programs to crawl through the Internet to search for information on Alex Rudaj, "Go, my spideys," she says as she unleashes them. "Scour the web and bring back data for your queen."
OOC,Computer Use roll (70% skill) to trawl the Internet for information about [b]Rudaj[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Library Use roll (60% skill) to sort through the information: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

With a sigh Greg puts down the stack of papers, he has completed the first of the twenty-odd sections. (Tome details to follow)
Greg,Lose : 5 SAN The spaces in between really matter. The spaces in between one wave and the next. One job and the next, one adventure and the next. That’s where the good stuff happens if you allow it. You realise so much of your life is driven by a ‘make happen’ attitude. The belief that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. And yet, as you constantly remind yourself, ‘you can do anything you want. But you can’t do everything.’ There is a cost. It takes energy. Be that fossil fuels, or calories, or our soul-connection perhaps if you took more interest in those around you and the injuries they suffer you could get past these limitations. You do not have a [b]phobia[/b], you have a [b]fascination[/b] with injuries seeing people injured may lead to your complete distraction as you try and work out what their limitations were.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg,[b]+5% Cthulhu Mythos +4% Ancient History.[/b] Can you roll a D2 as well as D10 (number of times the D2) please
Liz's program starts to generate loads of leads many of which Liz realise are hardly informative (Alex attends function X for charity Y etc) refining it a bit more she continues to trawl through the data.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Andy will try and do the following:

1) Ask contacts he has (Jock?) if there's any rumours/information about Rudaj does he have link to crime gangs for instance. Try and get Rudaj's current whereabouts.
2) Get a picture of Rudaj - from Liz perhaps?
3) Look into the property deals.
4) Find out where the rest of 'Gossham's' artefacts are - get them somewhere safe.

5)Held follow up any leads that Liz generates.  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

ooc,I can't update Greg, can you? d2 roll: [dice]0[/dice], d10 roll: [dice]1[/dice] I'm not sure what you meant, did you want me to roll a d2 a d10 times. (ie. I roll a 4, I roll 4d2s?
"I finished the 1st part, there is so much there, but I think I need a break. It's fascinating stuff." Greg says. "How is the search going?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg,Much of What [b]Greg[/b] has read is simply about how the ancient Verbti lived and thrived in this pre-historical age. He has learnt two rituals one gives an edge to a blade so sharp it will cut things from other worlds and the other is a ritual to create a powder to allow him to see things which are hidden (more accurately things which are invisible) Greg thinks at least one of the sections is dedicated to religious rituals and might explain what everyone is looking for. Incredulous as it sounds at least one ritual intimated in the section he has just translated implies you can call on Verbti and talk to him.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

ooc,wow, very nice. I'm not going to contact mr. Verbti just yet.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm making good progress," says Liz, "but it's going to take more time to find something we can use. What have you discovered so far?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg,[b]Rit Bekoje Thikë –The Rite to Bless the Blade[Bless Blade][/b] Cost: 5 POW; 1D4 Sanity points Casting time: 1 hour Creates a blade capable of damaging or killing entities that cannot be harmed by mundane weapons. Requires the blood sacrifice of an animal of at least SIZ 50. The blade of the knife must be of an elemental metal such as iron or silver. The Verbetoi will only cast this spell on a virgin blade; one not yet used in anger The blade may be of any size; however, larger blades do greater damage (see Table: Weapons). If the blade is broken, melted or otherwise damaged it permanently loses this ability; however, it will not be harmed in attacks against supernatural entities. Alternative names: Imbue Might of the Elder Ones, Ritual of the Seven Cuts, Spirit’s Bane. [b]Tsh hiri e ndershëm burrë – Ashes of an honest man[/b] Casting time: 1 round to apply 1 dose Creates a grey-green powder that harms unnatural beings from other planes of existence. The powder requires the ashes of any pure Verbetoi man, As the definition of what is pure is extremely high in Verbetoi society this is actually a lot harder to acquire than might be expected. In all other aspects the spells are the same.; each such corpse suffices for three doses of the magic dust. The ingredients also include frankincense, sulphur, and saltpetre. An incantation must be said over the dust while it is being sprinkled. Sprinkled over a being not of this Earth, the entity loses 1D20 hit points per dose. It takes one round to apply a dose. The powder works only on extraterrestrial and other planar beings, thus the powder would harm a dimensional shambler, Yog-Sothoth or a mi-go, but is useless against a shoggoth or a deep one. Alternative names: The Egyptian Powder, Protection of the Dead.
OOC:   I'll have a list of the info Liz collates by the weekend - sorry it is more time consuming to pick out all the details.  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Well, according to this, I found what they believe to be a couple spells," Greg answered. "One will enchant a blade, so maybe it can be used on those fire guys we couldn't hit, and the other makes a powder that lets you see things that aren't there?? Not sure on that one. There also seems to be a way to contact their god. Personally, I think that's a bad plan." Greg adds, "that's just the first part, there are a lot more to go through, but I'm exhausted."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Can I have a POW roll from Greg please he needs to make it otherwise the compulsion to keep going take him.  

Potted Bio For Alex Rudaj

First noted for having transformed a struggling import/export operation into a multi-million-pound business, now connected to a string of businesses. Leaving the task of running the businesses to his extended family Alex has re-invented himself not only as a successful and wealthy businessman but as a renaissance man acquiring a degree in Classics, a £3 million home in Buckinghamshire (Beaconsfield) and a reputation in the City as one of its most astute entrepreneurs.

Liz thinks that she has found (in)direct links to four properties and very hazy links to as many as 12 more (not places he'd live in but rentals???) One is the property in Beaconsfield, the second is a penthouse flat in London's docklands South Quay Plaza, the other two are both abroad one a chateaux in Southern France, the last a substantial villa in Malta.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

POW Roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Greg, turns and absentmindedly starts shifting through some papers clearing them out to get ready for another round of translations. "I should really take a break, but I could just do this first bit here..." He stops himself mid sentence.

"No, I need a break, get me out of here guys," Greg says.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Finally," says Liz, grabbing Greg by the arm and pulling him towards the door. "Let's go!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Greg's imminent madness is delayed (honestly, are you really not going to continue reading :twisted: However, what next?  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   yea, I passed by 1 point, so lets put it off by a couple days. A pint and some pizza sounds good. ;)  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   OK Liz Greg Andy and Jacob all go for a Pint and Pizza (although to be properly British they'd all go for a curry) After the second or third pint Jacob pipes up.  
What next?

Return to “Watch the World Burn”