Baggage Car

This mysterious train pulled up at the station and has silently lurked there ever since, engine cooling, and often with strange sounds coming from its mysterious cabins. What secrets can it be hiding? What threats await?

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Baggage Car

Post by Laraqua »

The little larder space between the connection compartment where you all stand and the kitchen itself is cramped with sacks and jars and shelving, but there is no sign of the conductor. Perhaps he moved further down into the kitchen? The kitchen itself sounds rather quieter than before, though they can hear the steady and strangely rhythmic smacking of something hard against the side of a pot.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's sneak inside," whispers Kate. "We must find the others before it's too late."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan nods and leads the way towards the kitchen.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

Arty followed along after Jonathan passing by Miss Kate with a nod and a face determined. When he heard the consistant banging, he looked about the kitchen trying to find the source of the sound and moved that direction to investigate.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

You move cautiously into the kitchen segment of the Dining Car.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The Baggage Car has a cheap grey-on-brown patterned carpet across the floor. This section of the car is quite broad and open, but for the crates and sacks of food for the Kitchen Car that sit in one stall in the corner (open one side, walled on the other with bar topped wooden panels) with passenger luggage in another stall and a large dog cage (empty) in the third stall. A narrow passageway extends down the length of the Baggage Car with the middle section containing an opening which reveals four bunks with space for staff luggage. Further down the aisle sits the Train Manager's office and a room where staff can sleep. Beyond that would lie the actual storage space for baggage.

The office door is locked, but as you draw nearer to it you can see that someone battered it down awhile ago. The door itself is mostly intact, but the wood around the jamb is splintered from the force. The office itself is quite cramped and very dark, just as with the rest of the baggage car, but there's enough stray light from the entry way's sole remaining light bulb (from where you entered) that you can make out most of the details. There is a chair pushed up against a desk that backs up against one wall which has three locked drawers. A bunk sits behind it with more cupboards underneath -- which is currently folded into its sofa position. A mirror hangs on the wall.

There is a big roller door along one side for the movement of cargo and a locked door at the end of the baggage car that would lead toward the locomotive.

Train car example. The office is that little box. You have entered from the left. Ignore the dots, that's just to remove the weird spacing issue that occurs without them.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We're going to be all right," Kate says to Artemis in a soothing tone, but she cannot even convince herself, so there's little chance of convincing him.
OOC,Psychoanalysis roll to treat [b]Artemis[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"we just need to get off this train, out of the station and back to the village," Artemis said and tried to give a slight smile. He headed down the car towards the office. "We might find something in this place."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Okay," says Kate, following him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

"No, not inside... blood... there's blood... and I've had enough... seen enough blood. I'll sit here... and write", he then sits down, back against the wall, and starts writing in his notebook.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"So,should we look about or just figure out a way to get out of here and back to the station's main room? At least there, if something is going to attack us, we can try to make a stand." Artemis asked Miss Kate as he watched Jonathan begin to write in his notebook.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We need to find out what's going on," says Kate, "and the answers may be in the that office."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis stepped into the office and began to try the various drawers and cabinets. "So what would we be looking for in here?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate shrugs, following him inside and helping him search. "I dunno," she says, "Papers or documents, maybe. Something that would explain all this."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Got it, something that might help," Arty looked shined the beam of his torch about the place and focused on the cupboards underneath the bunk. He bent down and tried opening one of the doors with one hand and while he used the torch to illuminate what was inside.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The cupboards under the bunk have a few old pairs of socks that look like they're starting to decay from old age, rather than wear and tear. There is a letter, however, folded up. It's very fragile to the touch and has to be very carefully unfolded.
Letter,If you were looking for clothes to stay warm or to clean oneself after a rather bloody mess then I do apologise but I rather needed them myself. If you are the conductor, then I have nothing more to say to you. I do believe I made myself quite clear with that chef's knife through your gullet that I have tired of being hunted through the train and I am equally upset by your callous mistreatment of my previously alive companions. There does seem to be rather a low chance of survival, I'm afraid, judging by all these little notices I've found about the place from other people. As far as I can tell, it can be traced back to 1938. Not entirely sure why the date is relevant, but it could be, and so I deliver it unto you as a gift. Oh, another gift! The warmer rooms, those that are already warm, there's no fixing the cold yourself, they seem to be rather safe from those entities but I have the dreadful suspicion that there is a time limit and so delaying too long will
There's also a train schedule, but it just has this one train station written on it. Oddly enough, the arrivals seem to be timed to the very second. Strange.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Curious," says Kate, handling the letter with care. "I wonder what it was that happened in 1938 that started this all. The letter says there's a time limit. I wonder if this timetable may be connected. Let's see what time the next train is due." She examines the schedule and checks her watch to see when the next train arrives and how long they have until then.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Wait, that can't be right? It looks like only 7 minutes have passed since the last train came through but there's been no sign of it. Wait, no, it's the same train listed over and over. The next train is due to arrive in three minutes and 13 seconds, presuming your watch is fully synchronized with this schedule which would be ... disconcerting to say the least. The listing before that is twenty six minutes ago ... roughly when this whole mess started. That looks to be the first listing on the schedule. The last listing is in three hours, thirty nine minutes and 18 seconds.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Okay, this is strange," says Kate, showing Artemis and Jonathan the timetable. "I guess we have a little over three and a half hours to ...do something. And there's a few minutes before the train arrives again. I wonder what happens if we're still aboard at that time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Miss Kate," Arty said as he looked over her shoulder at the schedule. "Have you ever seen such a precise train schedule? Ever?"

He looked about the office. "I just can't see us being on this damnable train, pardon, when it's supposed to depart. I don't know what is meant by the warm places. The Station maybe?"

Return to “Mysterious Train”