Dining Car

This mysterious train pulled up at the station and has silently lurked there ever since, engine cooling, and often with strange sounds coming from its mysterious cabins. What secrets can it be hiding? What threats await?

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Dining Car

Post by Laraqua »

This Dining Car is an exercise in exquisite luxury. Its carpet stretches across the floor. The teak wall panelling, inlaid with rosewood, are suffused with the scents and memories of bygone meals. The carved scrolls, cornices, and scallops at the friezes and borders, are adorned with gilded metal flowers and that reach up but never reach the arched ceilings. The racks, resting upon hand-wrought gilded brackets, into which diners may desposit small articles run the length of the car on both sides.

The Dining Car has group tables with four seats on one side and couple's tables with two seats on the other allowing for a few configurations to dine in peace while sitting upon comfortable red seats with a mahogany frame. Flowered-damask drapes are held back with gold thread and tassels, revealing a cream-coloured spring-loaded roller blind that can be pulled up or down to allow or obscure the outside world. Each table is lit by a single, flickering flame on a heavily burned down candle. All the other candles are gutted and weak. There are others here, sitting and talking in quiet voices, wearing rich fabrics and hairstyles that are just a little bit old-fashioned.

The napkins are folded like butterflies perched tenderly upon the pure white table cloths. A delicate lamp with a pink shade rests upon the middle of the table, beside a slim glass vase, weighted against the movement of the train or sudden knocks against the table. The vase contains a single red flower, a splash of colour matched only by the gold-rimmed porcelain plates that are adorned with the Compagnie crest. Solid silver cutlery flank the plates and sit below the wine glasses.

The head waitor is on his hands and knees, mopping up blood off the floor with a rag. He looks up at you with a smile and stands up, putting the bloody rag in a pant pocket and giving you a charming smile. "Would you like a seat, monsieur? Mademoiselle?"

Go backward for the Smoking Car.
Go forward past the curtain to the Kitchen half of the Dining Car.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The Kitchen segment of the Dining Car is divided from the rest of the dining car by a thick partition and a red hanging curtain. The rest of the dining area is crowded with cupboards, sinks, and ovens -- enough to serve 72 meals at a time. Right now the area is dark, with dusty dishes left in place, a few buzzing with flies over dried up old food. There's even a large refridgeration unit over to one side. Upon the stoves there's one dish, in particular, a large pot that stands out among all of the rest. While the others are rusted, this one is polished. As you look upon it, you can almost make out the outline of a person standing over it, the sight of them like a buzzing on the back of your mind. They're saying something, but you can't quite hear them. If you were to focus your attention, really focus, you think you would understand.
If you spend 1 Sanity to focus on the pot,the problem is that you're trying to hear something that doesn't quite sit in the same three dimensional space that you do. If you wish to read it, to understand it, you need to comprehend the geometries at work here. You see, in four dimensional space, once you include time, the conversation was here at one point. In this case, though, you think you can pull the person's words and actions, reveal an intangible version of themselves, to see what came before.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate begins to focus on the pot, as much as it pains her. "It's like listening to a recording," she whispers. "Someone was here before but isn't any more. It's a ghost, an echo."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

"What is causing the tapping sounds though," Arty couldn't bring himself to focus on the same area, the glimpse had caused him to tense and then twitch along his left shoulder and neck. "Where the hell are the others?"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Kate focuses on the translucent figure,and to her the person seems to become somewhat more whole though not at all solid. It's one of the cooks, hard at work, moving back and forth at the pot. "How long will the train be delayed?" asks the translucent cook. "My wife is waiting for me at the end of the line." "No idea," comes a voice. "Whenever the government are done looking over the train." "What do they really think they'll find? Spies? They've been searching for over an hour." "Gee, I dunno. But they seem real uptight about it. They've been poking around the Baggage Car for much of that, opening things. Parker says he saw them carving something in some of the crate lids. Weirdest thing...." "Shh, here comes the conductor. He doesn't like that kinda talk."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The cook was talking with someone about the government delaying the train, searching for something," whispers Kate. "They spent a lot of time opening things in the Baggage Car, and they carved something into some of the crate lids. Then they stopped talking when the conductor approached."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"But there wasn't anyone from the government at the station? I saw something odd, I had to turn away from it," Arty said his neck muscles tightened on the left side of his body as he recalled the office of the baggage car. "I don't recall seeing things carved on anything in there.
We have to find the others and get off this damn train."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's finish searching the kitchen," Kate whispers back. "If they're not here, we can search the Baggage Car fully next."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Arty nodded and panned his flashlight's beam at the refrigerator. He walked over to it and opened it.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan walks next to Artemis. He doesn't really want to see what's inside... or does he? For a moment, he thinks back at when he thought the strange message in the station was a joke. And a good idea for a novel. Perhaps he'll write that novel after all. If he makes it out of here alive.

For now, it only seems fair to share any horror with his comrades. And God only knows what might be inside that refrigerator.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate does not want to look inside the fridge. Keeping an eye and an ear out to make sure nobody approaches provides a convenient excuse not to do so.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Looking inside the fridge,They find her in the fridge. Her arms cut off at the elbows, the upper arms pressed down against her dress as though trying to hold herself. There's a bloody cut in her dress, a glimpse of stitches underneath. Both legs have been taken off at the hip. Her face, though, her face has been untouched and her glassy-eyed stare seems to reach into the depths of their soul. Ilona Aston died a cruel and painful death. 0/4 Stability Loss.

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan falls to his knees and pukes. He's shaking now, trying to crawl towards the door. "Out... out of here... out", he whispers with a weak voice, then he starts to cry, muttering nonsense: "I'll write it down... then it won't be real anymore... it won't be real".
Stability,I lose 4 Stability and fall down to 0. https://orokos.com/roll/553913
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate wraps an arm around Jonathan, helping him to his feet and taking care not to look inside the fridge. "Yes, let's get out of this car," she whispers as she guides him back toward the Baggage Car. "We're going to be all right. And after it's all over, writing it all down will be cathartic."
OOC,I'll spend my last point of Psychoanalysis to get him back to positive Stability.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Spoiler:
Stability check [dice]0[/dice]
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Psychotherapy skill,in order to increase someone's stability using it you must first make a successful DC 4 roll and THEN spend points to increase their stability. Please roll 1D6 first, Kate.
[Spoiler-Button]Jonathon, can hear creaks and movement from beyond the curtain. He has to get out of here. He's made far too much noise. The station waiting room and the bar car both feel like a cozy oasis in his mind's eye right now. He needs to return.... He must return.... And yet the station platform oozes with mist and he doesn't want to go out there. Not out there where anything can find you, reach you, and do to you what happened to poor Miss Aston.... It's so hard to control his own breathing. The carriage seems to pulse with his own heartbeat. He's not insane, he can tell that it's not real and yet ... and yet it's so hard to breathe.... Those nice cozy rooms, a pen, a book, once written it can't be real.[Spoiler-Button]

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Unfortunately, Kate can't get through to Jonathan.
OOC,Psychoanalysis roll: [dice]0[/dice] Can I make a separate try for [b]Artemis[/b]?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Arty gulped and closed the door to the fridge. Jonathan began babbling and Arty focused on the man now on his knees. "You need to get up and we need to get out of here, Miss Kate. She's dead, we need to get out of this place, now."

His voice was low, firm and had a steely edge to it. Part of his mind jumped back to the trenches of Ardennes when he had to convince young men to stand up and continue moving. "Jonathan, get up, write later, get up and get out. "
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"M-miss Aston?" asks Kate quietly, her lips quivering and tears spilling down her cheeks. Still, she knows Aretmis is right, and she helps pull Jonathan to his feet and move him back toward the Baggage Car.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis followed along, continuing to talk to Jonathan "We need to move to the baggage car and then out of this place all together. "

Artemis turned back just briefly enough to ensure that no one else was in the kitchen, then he helped to push onward to the baggage car.

Return to “Mysterious Train”