Post by SunlessNick »

"Perhaps two couples?" suggests Ines.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Rooter »

"Those figures we observed entering the cathedral went one by one," Lila muses. "The building is labyrinthine, besides. If we are to find our way by physical stealth I should be willing to venture ahead by myself and leave some form of trail for you. Or perhaps, doctor, you believe we can bluff our way with the story of your being professionally acquainted with Roterstein?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"We may want to split up into separate groups," suggests Henry. "That would be less suspicious than all of us going together. We'll need sources of light, torches or lanterns. My Illuminator is not yet complete."
OOC,I think I can only create a new Mad Invention when I gain a level.
Spoiler:
Indeed. I believe I will increase everyone to level three once this Paris adventure is completed; which may be a while.
"A reasonable precaution," Mister Witherly remarks. "If I am not being overly presumptuous, I would be willing to remain here with Miss Carrow as previously. I assume also that you wish to have your loyal manservant by your side." He addresses the other two ladies. "On the other hand, if you believe that my company would be of any value, I am also willing to accompany you."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Henry. "Ivan shall go with us if you remain with Miss Carrow. If the ladies would prefer that you accompany us, then Ivan can stay with her and protect her. I would not claim to personally know Roterstein, as if he is present, the lie would be exposed. Rather, I can say that I have heard of him by reputation and am seeking him out as a fellow inventor."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

OOC:   I seem to recall the clothes were made for Miss Davenport, Dr North, Ivan, and Ines, so that's who has to go.  
"If you are willing, Miss Davenport, I agree that is a good strategy."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Ines enters the cathedral in the afternoon. There is nothing notable save the feeling of peace which enters her soul as a result of prayer and meditation.
Spoiler:
Ines may have a Faith Point, to be spent in an attempt to re-roll any unsuccessful Ability Check.
She is able to report that it is not at all unusual for canes to be carried by members of all but the lowest classes, so Doctor North need not worry about that point. Daggers and the like are easily concealed in the clothing provided by the tailor.

As planned, Miss Davenport attempts to follow one of the figures entering the cathedral.
Spoiler:
DEX = 18[dice]0[/dice]Borderline, but I'll make allowances for the Demon Hunter class.
With the skill of an experienced tracker, she is able to move silently enough to escape notice. The man ahead of her moves down a side corridor and is greeted by another. They speak in whispers for a moment, then somehow cause seemingly solid stone to open like a door. They proceed within, and the stone closes behind them silently. Quick examination does not reveal any obvious way to open this secret entrance, the actions of the pair not being clearly visible in the dim light of lanterns. Miss Davenport may choose to attempt to operate the door, or return to her companions and report on her progress.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry and Ivan have arrived separately, though they still keep within sight and earshot of each other. Henry has his cane, and Ivan his sword cane.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

As to weapons, Ines will bring her brass knuckles, with which she is more experienced than a knife. She will follow the lead of Dr North and Ivan, remaining separate but within eyeshot.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Knowing that Doctor North will likely have a better idea how to operate the door mechanism, Lila returns to her companions, marking the route with colored rosary beads.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is a simple matter for Doctor North to follow the trail of rosary beads.
Spoiler:
INT = 12 + 3 (Mechanical Genius) = 15[dice]0[/dice]
Discovering the secret of the hidden passageway proves to be nearly as simple. Through the application of pressure upon certain stones which make up the wall, the door slides open, nearly without a sound. Lanterns reveal little, as the corridor extends a considerable distance. Deep within the gloom can be seen a dim light, which moves now and then, much in the manner of a will o' the wisp. It would seem logical to presume that this is a person with a lantern, candle, or some other source of light. Nothing else of interest is apparent.

At this point the adventurers may wish to decide whether to enter the passageway as a group, singly, or to take some other action as may seem fit.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"As a group would likely be easier and safer once we are in there."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That is true," says Henry, "though it will also be more suspicious if we arrive together. Perhaps we should enter one by one, but within sight of each other."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I presume yourself or Ivan will lead the way, doctor."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

That being agreed, the two proceed down the corridor, followed at a discreet distance by the ladies.

After some time they approach the source of the light. It is a man of unremarkable features, dressed in simple clothing, carrying a candle, its holder equipped with a small reflector to enhance its modest light. His eyes are dull, his countenance indicative of boredom. Apparently his duty is less than challenging. He stands before a pair of wooden doors.

-- What do you seek, brothers? --

His voice is weak and lifeless, as if he has spoken these words many times.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Libertie," replies Henry in an equally matter-of-fact tone, as if he has said it many times before, recalling the word from the posters.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The fellow nods and opens the door on the left.

Within can be seen perhaps a score of persons of both sexes, arrayed in a variety of clothing under long cloaks. The room is large enough to allow a dozen or so additional individuals to enter without excessive crowding. Beyond the crowd, illuminated by torches in the wall behind her head, stands Violette DuPray, wearing the gleaming suit of armor seen before. She is addressing the assembly from a raised platform. The torchlight seems to ebb and flow over the shining metal of her armor like a living thing as she waves her arms in dramatic unison with her exhortations.

-- The time has nearly come, sisters and brothers! At Vespers, on the eve of the day we honor all the saints, we strike! --

There are cheers and huzzahs from the crowd.

-- Prepare yourselves as you have been told, comrades! The armorer awaits you! --

As her speech continues, evolving into a rambling stream of rhetoric more notable for its sound than its meaning, Doctor North, standing at the back of the room, is able to detect another pair of voices from the corridor from which he has entered. They speak German, with which he is conversant.

-- Have them enter one at a time, Otto. --

--Yes, master. --

By this time the crowd is beginning to shuffle around, evidently preparing to withdraw from the room. Doctor North, being nearest the exit, would have time to return to his comrades before the assembled persons leave the large room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry returns to his companions to fill them in on what he has learned, and to avoid the possibility of Violette recognizing him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"It seems we must act swiftly if we are to foil this plot," Lila says. "If we present ourselves one by one to this armorer like the others we may have the opportunity to infiltrate ourselves among them and thus learn more."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Perhaps I should go first," says Ines. "If Violette DuPray is present with the armourer, I am the least likely that she would know by sight, and there may be some means by which I can distract her."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Ines joins a line of cloaked figures slowly making their way into the room behind the door to the right. Each emerges with an object, some of an obvious nature -- a knife or a pistol, for example -- others more mysterious, such as small metallic devices of complex and peculiar design, or something which does not appear to be anything more than an ordinary stone. It is possible to hear a few words in languages other than French spoken now and then.

As Ines enters the room she observes a fellow dressed in simple but scrupulously clean garments. He is very tall, but bent over, as if this is his normal posture. His head is nearly bald, but a few long gray hairs hang down into his eyes, which are watery and of a strange milky color. Despite a cadaverous build which suggests great age, his face is as smooth as that of a young child.

Before he addresses Ines, he observes her through a lens of unusual shape. It seems to make his pale eyes appear alternately larger and smaller, with seemingly random changes in color. Soon he lowers it.

-- I observe that you are best suited to combat at close range. --

It is notable that he speaks in Spanish.

He turns to a large wooden chest filled with all manner of objects which sits on the floor near his right hand. After some shuffling through the miscellany therein, he withdraws a pair of black gloves. They appear to be precisely the correct size to fit Ines.

-- Wear these when you strike, -- he continues.

With that he gestures for the next person in line to approach, evidently unwilling to provide any other information.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”