CH3-04 Down by the shore

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: CH3-04 Down by the shore

Post by BenTheRat »

Greg gets a bit tired of the constant harrasement. "Look guys I'm fine okay. I may not have taken a shower today, but I've eaten. I haven't been affected like some others. I'm on the verge of a big break through. Why don't you guys go grab some pizza and coffee, and then bring me back some and we can talk then."

Greg wants to usher them out the door at this point so he can get back to work.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe we could help if you walk us through what you've been doing," says Liz. Even I don't get this obsessed playing Civilization IV, she thinks. Of course, it helps that you can make it keep the current time displayed on the screen and set an alarm.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

While the others have been trying to get Greg to take a break Jacob has been carefully going through some of Greg's notes.

Oy gevalt! is this correct Greg, Gossham's paper is true, the mural is proof? You'll forgive me if I paraphrase guys but looking through Greg's own notes and Greg correct me if I have this wrong. The Verbetoi named after their God Verbti a hostile spirit of fire, are from a period pre-recorded history, Geographically somewhere sub Saharan Africa, they fled northwards to a ruined city which may have been in what was the Mediterranean basin prior to it becoming a Sea, they escaped to high ground (island of Malta) with their civilisation largely intact, The mural is not only a record of their history but details their rituals and culture and at very granular level its essentially three murals.
OOC:   Stealing BenTheRat's thunder somewhat but lets progress some.  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Greg immediately turned around and was back, "yea, isn't it great stuff." He just starts and doesn't stop. "when the Romans killed all their priests and destroyed their temples they effectively destroyed the Verbti's written language, they have a spoken language but the spelling and phonetics aren't the same as the original language. Its likely that a whole layer of Verbti culture, and mythology has been missing since then."

When he covers everything he has uncovered so far, he stops when he is done, Greg slumps looking exhausted.
OOC:   Sorry, been meaning to do that, and just hasn't really had time.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There could be more to be found at that site in Malta," says Liz. "That's why the dig was stopped, to keep it from coming to light. We all need to talk to Westerlund and show him what you've found. He could be of great help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Any Wade

"Jeez, no wonder you look so frazzled... that's a heck of a lot of research to have put together. And Liz is right we need to put all this information to Westerlund."
OOC,Andy will phone the Prof and arrange a meeting, for the next day - the group travelling up to him (I guess).
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The professor is happy to meet, positively anxious if Andy mentions anything about the photo's, proof or Greg's translations. He is happy to meet wherever Andy suggests.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

ghill wrote:The professor is happy to meet, positively anxious if Andy mentions anything about the photo's, proof or Greg's translations. He is happy to meet wherever Andy suggests.
Was the Prof., perhaps, over-eager...?
Psychology,25 [dice]0[/dice]
Nope, seemed perfectly OK as far as Andy is concerned... fingers crossed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should meet him as soon as possible," says Liz. "Should we invite him here? This is where all the research is, and it's not exactly portable."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"That sounds great, I can't wait to hear what a professional has to say about what I've come up with." Greg says. "Oh crap, I need to get all my notes in order .." He trails off as he starts going through is reems of papers and notes.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Andy,if Andy tells the Prof about Greg's work then he is genuinely excited, but if Andy says that he simply wants to talk then he simply says he'd like to see you all as he has something he wants to share with you.
The professor arrives at Paddington Station the next evening carrying what looks to be a cricket bag, he seems happy to see you and clearly wants to know what you have found out. But its clear to everyone he has something to tell you "bursting" might be the appropriate expression.
OOC:   You have to return to Greg's hotel room for him to talk to Greg or show him Greg's notes.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Andy will suggest getting back to Greg's room ASAP, then they can all discuss what they have discovered.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Liz[/b] agrees.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The professor listens to Greg's discoveries upto this point and is quite fascinated by Gregs use of the plinth as a 'Rosetta Stone'

Its all quite fascinating and I hope you will allow me some time to carry out my own studies, but I have something to show you. The professor unzips the sports bag he brought with him and pulls out the sceptre wrapped in a cloth as well as a large church candle which he places on a table before lighting it. Then holding the sceptre in one hand he mutters some words under his breath then holds his hand in the flame. "I don't know how it works but after I say the words and as long as I hold the sceptre I seem fireproof.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Wow!" exclaims Liz, staring goggle-eyed. "That could be quite useful." A pity we didn't have it in Albania, she thinks. "How did you find about that?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy look on agog as he watches the professor "Jeez... that's fucking amazing!" he blurts out.. his mind ticks over.. how could they make use of this? Andy waits for the answer to Liz's question.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

I'm a bit cack handed, I smoke, I overfilled my zippo and when the nicotine urge comes I'm not as careful as I should be. I was doing some research with the sceptre and spilt burning lighter fuel over myself while trying to light my fag with one hand. It protects your clothes but it is not perfect. I seem to get a bit tired if the fire is bigger or hotter but the level of protection seems the same. I don't think you really need to understand the words on the sceptre just concentrate on them. If we're going to accept the whole its magic stuff then I think there is something weird about the book as well but I can't work it out. When I have it open sometimes its like I'm being watched.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Greg isn't sure if he believs the whole fire proof thing. He saw a carnival once as a kid and someone did a similar trick. History is one thing, with languages and he's seen some pretty weird stuff. "Pretty neat trick there. I'm still not sure I buy 'magic' per se."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How about 'sufficiently advanced technology?'" says Liz. "However it's done, there's no denying that it works. You could always try it yourself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Either way, the Professor is able to show all of you the text what to say or do and repeat the same effect. However, while he is demonstrating this to Jacob, Jacob apparently starts a spontaneous fire among some of Greg's discarded papers.

Jacob suggests that when he was about to put his hand in the flame he thought about the flame going somewhere else.

OOC:   In essence the Sceptre allows the investigator to create a small fire and provides protection from the same. Protection from a small fire takes 2MP lasts 5 rounds. Creating a small flame 1MP and happens instantaneously.

Can I have SAN rolls please failure results in the loss of 1 SAN - Magic or science it is pretty mindblowing  

Return to “Watch the World Burn”