IC-Ep 2-Shelter from the Storm(Phyllis/Tinker/Anna)

Story and his friends investigate and soon identify those behind the monster's appearance, which leads to a deadly confrontation for Brook and Eugene and the arrival of something truly horrific.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 2-Shelter from the Storm(Phyllis/Tinker/Anna)

Post by Mr. Handy »

St. James's Church - London, England
9:20 PM - Saturday, September 7, 1940

Anna Jerkins opened the door at the bottom of the stairs and entered the basement of the church, which had been converted to a makeshift air raid shelter. It was filled with stray odds and ends including some spare pews kept here for storage, as well as an old church organ. Two old ladies sat on one of the pews, speaking to an Asian-looking woman of incredible beauty. An elderly man sat on another, and a pretty, young blonde woman lay on a third, both asleep as well.

Phyllis, Maggie, and Tinker looked up when the door opened and saw the pretty young woman enter. She was in her mid-twenties, tall and slender, pretty, and with long brown hair.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: IC-Ep 2-Shelter from the Storm(Phyllis/Tinker/Anna)

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Umm...hi?" Anna said, uncertain and slightly nervous. She had found that she was the last person on streets after assisting the invalids and her colleagues working in the clinic towards nearby bomb shelters. All the nearby ones were full; and her nerves were frayed. Being the only person walking on the streets during an air raid aren't exactly something that put you in a happy and carefree state of mind. "I'm Anna, practising Alienist. Pleased to meet...you?" She smiled weakly, and sat down on the nearest seat.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Hello there miss, come have a seat with us." The Asian woman stood up, brushing off her skirt and then brushing the dust off of a nearby spot of the pew.

"My name is Tinker, practicing...well tinker I guess, but not much of that recently. Please, have a seat. Tea? Snacks?" Tinker offered her a small bright pink ball "Try one, they're delicious."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Oh. Uh, sure. I'll have one if you don't mind." Anna moved towards Tinker and the others, and carefully placed her large handbag on the floor. She took a bite of the bright pink ball of...something. It was, to her mild surprise, quite delicious. "They're delicious! What's it called?" She gasp in delight, some more warmth creeping into her voice. It had flavours and textures! That was a significant improvement to the bland cardboard paste they served at the clinic.
Last edited by HelplessBystander on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"They're called songpyeon. The chewy part is a rice paste and the inside is honey. Unfortunately, I am not much of a cook. My friend Jong-suk made them as a sort of going-away present."
Last edited by CrackheadC. on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"I see! This is pretty interesting!" Anna chuckled, flashing a friendly grin towards Tinker, "Sorry if I seem a bit...out of it,
but the damned bombing took me by surprise. I was monitoring Patient #314 when the air-raid sirens rang. I'm stll having a hard time recovering from that."
She said this with a dazed expression before pulling out a small notebook and a pen from her handbag to jot down notes.

"I'm just trying to jot down my emotions and mental state during times of extreme stress. It's for a thesis I've been working on for the PhD degree." Anna explained hurriedly, "I don't want to look weird, but...can I ask about you current state of mind as well? I'll make sure to protect your anonymity."
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Patient #314 huh? Hopefully you aren't in charge of all the preceding that one too, sounds like it would be quite the workload." Tinker smiles.

"No that isn't too weird, education is important, I have gone through my fair share and learning about something without picking others' brains is difficult for sure." Tinker's face scrunches up as she thinks, "I suppose I am doing alright. I have been in a warzone or two before so I am sort of used to it. Though I think this is my first time being on the receiving side of an aerial bombardment." She smiles again, "But who knows, I have only just arrived so that may cloud my feelings on the matter."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Anna giggled, "Thankfull not. Our clinic are a subsidiary of Maxwell Sanitarium five blocks down, so sometime patients gets transferred here to receive new diagnosis...and sometimes we transfer new ones to them." She signed slightly, before quickly scribbling down Tinker's comment. "Patient #314 suffers from a confusing array of physical ailments and mental imbalance. He have episodic amnesia and is prone to night terrors. I was in charge with ensuring the corresponding treatments were administered with patients like #314. I'm still in my residency period, so the colleagues that I would rather not accuse by name spend their days giving me all the difficult and uncooperative patients so that they don't have to deal with them."

Her face fell slightly, visibly down, before quickly brightening up again. "But at least I got to help other people and my experience with helping people like them inspired my thesis ideas. So it's fine, I guess." She said in a bubbly manner, it seemed like her infectious optimism can break through even the toughest of barriers as she happily chatted with Tinker. She turned to look at the somewhat aged women sitting not far away and shined a bright smile at her. "Hello. How are you, my good lady? You look absolutely charming."
Last edited by HelplessBystander on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, lassie," said one of the old women, "though you're rather prettier than I am. In my younger days, though...I'm Maggie Duncan, and I'm doing quite well myself. I'm not afraid. Unlike this young lady, I have been through air raids before, in the last war. I got through them all right. This one is going on a long time, but it too will end. Either I'll survive, or I won't. If I don't, I've lived a long, full life, and I've made my peace with my Maker. When I die, I'll join my husband. In the meantime, I help who I can."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Anna's eyes brightened and she excitedly jotted down what Maggie said, "Miss Duncan, I think this is a beautiful message! It's inspirational and bright. Speaking from the perspective of a medical practitioner who've taken Hippocratic Oath, I couldn't agree more with your sentiment, ma'am!" She said happily, before gently starting to hum along to the melody of an Australian ditty called 'The Bare Bellied Ewe'.
Spoiler:
It's a pretty obscure Australian folk song from the 19th century, it is now renamed as 'Click Goes the Shears'. The song only got popular in the 1950s though.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"I understand you've gone on in years, but don't you find it frustrating to sit by the wayside and do nothing?" Tinker asks. "Forgive me if I am rude, I do find your peace with the world admirable, but I can't help but feel anxious doing nothing to help."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's Mrs. Duncan, luv," said Maggie with a smile. "Thank you, I can see we are much alike." She focused on Tinker. "I'm hardly doing nothing. Mrs. Cruckshank and I are part of the Women's Institute. We help people who have suffered hardship, and there are a lot more of them with this blasted war on. We may not wear uniforms, but we do our bit. I'm sure there's something you can do too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Oh my! I'm so sorry, Mrs. Dncan, that I got your title mixed up. I must've been thinking of someone else! Excuse me." Anna said apologetically towards Mrs. Duncan. Politely shaking her head, before carefully reaching to drink some tea. The tea, was now somewhat lukewarm after a while of being left out in the open, but it still tasted just fine. She quenched her thirst slightly from talking. "I hope I'm not being too intrusive, but is that your husband sleeping over there?" Anna gestured to elderly man resting near Mrs. Duncan.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Maggie laughed. "Och, no," she said. "That's Reverend Giles Curry, the rector of this church. No, my husband passed away in 1918. He survived the last war only to fall to the flu. I miss him every day."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Oh." Anna's smile faltered a little, looking at Mrs. Duncan with a slightly forlorn expression, "I am so sorry for your loss. Do you want to talk about it? I can try to help if you ever need someone to alleviate your pain. My teacher, mister Sigmund, had taught me a bit about how to assist." Anna offered helpfully.

She signed, "Mister Sigmund passed away a year ago, it was...terribly saddening that my mentor and guide in this strange exploration of the psyche had passed away. I can only hope that he went to a happier place than here." Anna lamented sadly before she stared timidly Mrs. Duncan. "I'm sorry, I'm sure I sounded really selfish there for making this about me all of a sudden. It's just that...I was reminded of my teacher's demise."
ooc,Uh, do you think I should give my Psychoanalysis skill a roll here?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,At this point, you should start by making a Psychology roll.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

psychology 75%,[dice]0[/dice]
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Psychoanalysis 90%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Anna Jerkins,[b]Maggie Duncan[/b] was a woman of indomitable will, but nonetheless filled with compassion. She was perhaps one of the most together people [b]Anna[/b] had ever met, and was in a fine state of mental health. [spoiler]No Psychoanalysis roll is necessary. [b]Maggie[/b] is about as sane as they come.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Anna stared at Mrs. Duncan for a short while before quickly saying, "While I don't think you'll be needing my help any time soon, but I just want to tell you that venting pent-up emotions every once in a while does wonders. But I do have to say that you're perhaps one of the most...together person I have ever met in my sort career." She said sincerely, giving a reassuring smile towards Mrs. Duncan. Friendliness is key, after all. "I know this doesn't mean much since I've only been a practising alienist for a short period of time, but I guess I just wanted to tell you that.
Heh-heh."

Return to “Episode 2”