Character Creation/Rules

London, 1940: The world is engulfed in the flames of war, and now the war has come to Great Britain's capital. German bombers rain death and destruction upon the blacked-out city, but what other terrors lurk unseen in the darkness? The Time Lord, his companions, and a handful of London's inhabitants doing their bit may be the only ones who can avert disaster.

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the fifth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that includes The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, The Shadow Over Dunwich, and The Brotherhood of Death.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Character Creation/Rules

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great! Hopefully I can get your sheet posted tomorrow at some point. In the meantime, you can join the story whenever you're ready. We'll just assume you've been in the air raid shelter all along. To catch up, you should read The Shelter followed by Rain of Death, which is the current thread. You may post there whenever you're ready.

I'll be away from the 5th through the 9th, and I probably won't have time to post then. You can all roleplay in the meantime, and I should be able to move things forward next week.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ZadokAllen
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by ZadokAllen »

Alright, I'm up-to-date with the story so far. Can I just enter the shelter instead of being there all along? I assume the shelters are not locked, or should i knock?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's not locked, but knocking would be polite. You may enter now if you like. In that case, you shouldn't have read the earlier threads. Since you've already read them, you'd have to pretend you don't know what happened in them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've added your character sheet to the thread. I had missed the 20 points you'd put in Conceal earlier because it wasn't bolded, so you only had 16 unspent points to add to History.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Roll 3d6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP.
Roll 2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT.
Roll 3d6+3 for EDU.
Roll 1d10 for personal wealth, using the 1920s wealth chart for 6th edition.

Stat rolls,[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
[dice]7[/dice]
[dice]8[/dice]

So that's:
7, 15, 10, 11, 14, 9, 10, EDU 16, and wealth 5
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Player: DrPeterson
Name: John H. Barrow
Sex: M
Current Residence: RAF Church Fenton, England
Colleges, Degrees: Bachelor of Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Birthplace: Riverside, Iowa
Home Era: Second World War

Characteristics:
STR: 7
CON: 10
SIZ: 9
DEX: 15
APP: 14
INT: 10
POW: 11
EDU: 16 (+1 due to age)= 17

Sanity: 55
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity:
Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: -1d4
Damage Bonus: +0

Background:
After the invasion of Poland and subsequent declaration of war by France and the UK, John joined the RAF as a fighter pilot eager to fight the Nazi threat instead of waiting out the politics that kept America out of the war.
He scored several kills protecting the evacuation of the beach during the Battle of Dunkirk, before crashlanding his Hawker Hurricane in the North Sea. Due to his heroism and injuries -which left him with considerable muscle damage- he was quickly promoted to captain. When the Battle of Britain began, John was up there with the newly formed 71st squadron.

John Barrow is a driven man, keen and intelligent, with the flamboyant air of a fighter pilot. He is easy-going and not prone to worrying. Having been confronted with death firsthand, he has taken to a carpe diem lifestyle, living every moment to the fullest.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
.Art: Dance (05%): 30%
Astronomy (01%): 40%
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
.Credit Rating (15%): 40%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 30%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%): 40%
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%): 50%
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%): 45%
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%): 40%
.Other Language: German(01%): 9%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 85%
.Persuade (15%): 35%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%): 31%
Pilot: Fighters (01%): 51%
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%): 27%
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):
War Prestige (01%): 35%

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%): 60%
Machine Gun (15%):50%

Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
British Flight Suit and Leather Jacket and Cap
Cigarettes and Lighter
Notebook and Pencil
Colt M1911 .455 semi-automatic pistol(7/7) [1D10+2 damage, Rate of Fire 1, Magazine Capacity 7, Base Range 15, Malfunction 00, HP 8, Handgun]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

There are just a few minor corrections, but otherwise you're good to go. I hadn't intended for you to use occupational skill points for Handgun and Machine Gun unless you'd chosen one of them as your personal specialty, but I'll allow it considering it would be part of your training. There are 362 skill points in your occupational skills out of 340 occupational skill points, but hobby points can supplement them. Since you've spent 78 out of 100 hobby points on non-occupational skills, this accounts for the remaining 22.

Your Damage Bonus is -1D4, and your Magic Points total is 11. There is also 27% next to your Swim skill that shouldn't be there, probably because it was copied and pasted from Elizabeth's sheet. There's no need to edit. I'll make the necessary changes when I post your completed sheet when I have time, which will probably be this weekend.

I'd also like you to be based out of Biggin Hill, which is close to London. Church Fenton is far to the north.

I should be able to get your IC thread up soon. You can post as soon as you see it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Updating sheet:

Sanity Rolls:
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]

Skill checks

Climb to beat 40%
[dice]5[/dice]

Electronics to beat 90%
[dice]6[/dice]

First aid to beat 30%
[dice]7[/dice]

History to beat 35%
[dice]8[/dice]

Listen to beat 25%
[dice]9[/dice]

Mechanical repair to beat 90%
[dice]10[/dice]

Spot hidden to beat 25%
[dice]11[/dice]

Handgun to beat 20%
[dice]12[/dice]

Edit:
19 sanity gained

First aid:
[dice]13[/dice]

Listen:
[dice]14[/dice]

Spot hidden:
[dice]15[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome back! I should be able to get your character sheet updated and posted sometime in the next day. I've created a new thread for you here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Hey, I think I'm interested in joining this RP, so here's my character sheet:

Player: HelplessBystander
Name: Anna Jerkins
Sex: Female
Current Residence: London
Colleges, Degrees: B Psychology, Cambridge. Working on a higher degree.
Birthplace: Australia
Home Era: 1940s
Income: $1,500
Savings: $20,000

Characteristics:
STR: 14
CON: 13
SIZ: 10
DEX: 10
APP: 13
INT: 14 (Idea - 70%)
POW: 16 (Luck - 80%)
EDU: 19 (Know - 95%) [+2 EDU due to age]

Sanity: 70 (70)
Phobias/Mental Disorders: Slight fear of fire (quirk)
Maximum Sanity: 70
Hit Points: 14
Magic Points: 16

Background:
Anna Jerkins is a young woman fresh out of Cambridge University. She is a tall,moderately attractive woman with long brown hair and dark-brown eyes. Likes reading in the library and enjoys wearing fashionable clothing on a semi-regular basis (as long as she can afford them). Relatively optimistic, funny, slightly alcoholic, and have a dream of eventually owning her own clinic. Due to her passionate study of psychology and her active role in the execution of many of the famous social experiments, Anna had quickly became one of the best (of a few) Alienist in the world.

She is an open-minded Deist who believes in the existence of higher-powers, and believes in racial/gender equality, partially influenced by her family's religious views. Her brother Tobias works as a Private Investigator in America. Her elder brother had played with her often during childhood, and had taught her some of the basics of self defence, sneaking around, and persuasion before leaving for a bright future in the land of America.

Her parents' house is a place of meaningful memories and where she experienced a relatively-pleasant childhood. She hasn't visited them in many years due to past incidents. Though she still treasures the old family photo from her youth and hangs it on the wall of her house. She owns a car that her brother bought for her on the day she earned her Medical Practitioner's license.

Skills:
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 20
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%): 60
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): 40
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 20
Drive Auto (20%): 25%
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%): 50
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%): 70
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%):
Other Language: Latin (01%): 50%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 95
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):50
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot Boat (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):90
Psychology (05%): 85
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%): 50
Spot Hidden (25%): 40
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):
War Prestige (1%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%): 50
Knife (25%):50

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
Flashlight
$80
Ration Card
Pen and notepad
Doctor's kit
Wallet
Medical Practitioner's license
Knife
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard! There are some corrections you'll need to make, but they work out in your favor, as you've shortchanged yourself. There's no need to edit the sheet above. Just post the corrected information below, and I'll assemble and post the completed sheet.

Your Sanity starts out at 80, which is your POW x 5. Your maximum Sanity is 99 - Cthulhu Mythos. Since your Cthulhu Mythos starts at 0, your maximum Sanity starts at 99.

Your age doesn't reflect your increased EDU. Your EDU started at 17, which makes your minimum age 23. To increase it to 19, you'll need to raise your age to at least 43. It won't cause any of your stats to be reduced unless you want to be 50 or older. Alternatively, you can stay younger and reduce your EDU (and occupational skill points and Own Language skill) appropriately.

You've underspent slightly on skill points. I'm not entirely sure which skills you intended to be your occupational skills, but it looks like the following list would be appropriate: Bargain, Credit Rating, First Aid, Library Use, Other Language: Latin, Pharmacy, Psychoanalysis, and Psychology. Medicine is also an occupational skill for you if you wish to put points into it, but you don't have to do so. You've spent a total of 372 occupational skill points, but EDU 19 gets you 380, so you have 8 additional points to add to one or more of your occupational skills. You have 140 hobby skill points from your INT 14, but you've only spent 130, so you have another 10 points to add to any skill or skills you wish. If you'd rather reduce your EDU to 18 (and your age to as low as 33), you may merely deduct two points from your occupational skills and be even. If you reduce your EDU to 17, you'll have to reduce your occupational skills by a total of 22 points.

I'll convert your wealth and cash to pounds. Each pound is worth about $5. You should also have an identity card, and you also have a gas mask in a small cardboard box. Everyone is supposed to carry one at all times, though not everybody does.

It's possible (probable even) that your character would know Sigmund Freud. In addition to the possibility of having met and worked with him earlier, he left Vienna for London after the Anschluss in the spring of 1938, where he lived until his death in September 1939.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Thanks Mr. Handy!
I'll make the Revision below:

(UPDATED/ABRIDGED)
Player: HelplessBystander
Sex: Female
Current Residence: London
Colleges, Degrees: B Psychology, Cambridge. Working on a higher degree.
Birthplace: Australia
Home Era: 1940s
Income: 300 Pounds
Savings: 4,000 Pounds

Characteristics:
STR: 14
CON: 13
SIZ: 10
DEX: 10
APP: 13
INT: 14 (Idea - 70%)
POW: 16 (Luck - 80%)
EDU: 17 (Know - 95%)

Sanity: 80 (80)
Phobias/Mental Disorders: Slight fear of fire (quirk)
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 14
Magic Points: 16

Background:
Anna Jerkins is a young woman fresh out of Cambridge University. During her time in Cambridge, she had been mentored by SIgmund Freud for a short while on psychology and had been one of the researchers who had helped set up an unofficial demonstration with him. Due to her passionate study of psychology and her active role in the execution of many of the social experiments in Cambridge, Anna had quickly became one of the best (of a few) Alienist in the world.

She is a tall,moderately attractive woman with long brown hair and dark-brown eyes. Likes reading in the library and enjoys wearing fashionable clothing on a semi-regular basis (as long as she can afford them). Relatively optimistic, funny, slightly alcoholic, and have a dream of eventually owning her own practising clinic.

She is an open-minded Deist who believes in the existence of higher-powers, and believes in racial/gender equality, partially influenced by her family's religious views. Her brother Tobias works as a Private Investigator in America. Her elder brother had played with her often during childhood, and had taught her some of the basics of self defence, sneaking around, and persuasion before leaving for a bright future in the land of America.

Her parents' house is a place of meaningful memories and where she experienced a relatively-pleasant childhood. She hasn't visited them in many years due to past incidents. Though she still treasures the old family photo from her youth and hangs it on the wall of her house. She owns a car that her brother bought for her on the day she earned her Medical Practitioner's license.

Skills:
Climb (40%): altered to 48 accordingly with the stats modifications

Equipment:
Flashlight
$80
Ration Card
Pen and notepad
Doctor's kit
Wallet
Medical Practitioner's license
Knife
Identity Card
Gas Mask
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome. There are still a few more things that need fixing. I hadn't noticed that your Hit Points were incorrect before. You have 12 HP, not 14, as it's the average (rounded up) of SIZ and CON, not STR and CON.

Also, if your EDU is 17, you don't get to add any skill points. In fact, you must reduce your occupational skills by a total of 22 points. If you want 18 EDU (and your age increases to 33 or more), you only need to reduce them by 2 points in all. Only if you keep your EDU at 19 (and raise your age to 43+) would you get to add points. In that case, you'd add 8 points to your occupational skills (which do not include Climb) and 10 points to any skills other than Cthulhu Mythos (possibly including your occupational skills).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

HP:12

Climbing:40% base stat

Done. Anything else?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You still need to reduce your occupational skills by a total of 22 points as I described above. Your occupational skills are Bargain, Credit Rating, First Aid, Library Use, Medicine (though you put no points into that), Other Language: Latin, Pharmacy, Psychoanalysis, and Psychology. 22 points need to come off of them in some combination in order for you to have only EDU 17. Please let me know how many points you're taking off of each skill.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Sure:

Library use: 50 (-20)

First Aid: 48 (-2)

Psychology: 75 (-10)

Bargain: 10 (-10)

...It's a somewhat difficult decision, but I've decided to downgrade these 4 skills. Is my sheet okay now? :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You only need to remove a total of 22 points, and you've taken off 42. You can go ahead and put 20 of them back.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Great!

Bargain: 15 (+5)

Medicine: 20 (+15)

Edit: Oops, almost ofrgot to add another 5 to the Medicine skill. But this works, right?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I got you started, and your thread is here. You may start posting in character there whenever you are ready.

I had made a couple of mistakes when reviewing your character sheet. I'd gotten confused and thought you had initially left Climb at 40%, but it was at 60%, so I kept it there. Your starting wealth is calculated differently in 6th edition than in 7th. Also, Biology is an occupational skill for you, not Bargain, but everything worked out and your hobby points were used to boost Bargain. I also made a few minor spelling and grammar corrections. Your character sheet is now posted as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Thanks! :lol:

Return to “The Horror in the Blackout”