See No Evil

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Re: See No Evil

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   There are a few different things the agents could try, though of course none are without risks.

They could attempt to either bribe a receptionist or take one into their confidence. Though they have no legitimate authority here, the flash of a badge still goes a long way towards influencing people. They'd need to be convincing, but if they could get someone here on their side it might go a long way. Alternatively they could try the same strategy with the housekeeping staff, either bribing some of them or arranging to borrow their uniforms long enough to plant the bugs in the rooms. The downside to either plan is that if it fails they risk exposure.

A different strategy might be to go directly to the rooms in question. If any are occupied now, perhaps the occupants could be convinced to assist them in planting the bugs. This is likely to be somewhat more difficult, but it may be a bit less risky.

A final option might be converse with the staff or do some surveillance and see which of the rooms are freely available now. If any of them are, it should be easy if perhaps a little unusual to request the specific rooms for the team's own use and bug them before their targets get here.  

"That's fine," the receptionist assures them. "We have a number of open spaces. I have a great standard room open on the tenth floor, and if you'd like to upgrade we have some fantastic suites available as well."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

“I think the standard room will be fine” says Nik, mindful of budgets. Although it doesn’t make him look very romantic – he’ll just have to live with that.
OOC:   Checking the rooms to see which are free now would be worthwhile. I think getting hold of a key card would be good too. Perhaps if the rooms are occupied we can Roll persuade?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should at least hear about the other available rooms," says Vanessa. "Which rooms are they, and how much more would it cost to upgrade?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The receptionist smiles at Vanessa, sensing an opportunity.

"Ah, yes. We have an upgraded suite available on the 14th floor. Very nice, newly refurnished. I can offer it to you both for 149 a night." The price quoted is 50 dollars more than the typical room. "But if you don't mind me saying so, you look like you're here for pleasure more than business. Is this a romantic getaway? If so, you simply owe it to yourselves to check out our deluxe suite. We have one available for you on the 17th floor. It has all the modern amenities for work as well as play, as well as a personal attendant on call 24 hours a day. All for just under 300 a night."
OOC:   A successful idea roll determines the receptionist is eager to make a sale. While the suite would undoubtedly be nice (especially since none of you are paying for it) It's unlikely to aid the agents in their mission in anyway. It also puts McRay out more and might anger him, or at least limit further purchases on their behalf.  
When the agents make their room reservation, they are asked how long they intend to stay.
OOC:   As you finish up on the reservation. Planning to bring this guy (let's call him Ted) into your confidence and try to elicit his help? If so, roll persuade and bureaucracy. The roll may have modifiers based on his personality, but I'm not going to tell you them offhand. :D You can feel free to make a HUMINT roll first to determine any read you can get on him as to how easy or difficult this would be.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik wonders if the guy might be approachable, but can’t get a read off him.
HUMINT,HUMINT 71: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/539459]HUMINT[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]89[/b]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The deluxe suite does sound lovely," says Vanessa, "but I'm not sure if we can afford it. Is there any way we could get a look at it before we make a decision?"
OOC,The deluxe suite on the 17th floor does have one advantage: it's on the same floor as [b]Bhrunt[/b]'s room. In any case, going up to look at it will give us a chance to scope out that floor. HUMINT roll (53% skill) about the receptionist: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Of course." Ted gets another worker to briefly cover for him as he steps away from the desk and guides the agents tot he nearest elevator. The team see that there are 26 floors listed on the pad.

The 17 floor is nicely furnished, and there are a few resting areas on the floor with chairs for people to sit at and socialize if the mood strikes them. There's also what looks to be one conference room at the opposite end of the hall. Ted guides them past various rooms, among them Bhrunt's future one. It does not seem to currently be occupied, though the two adorning rooms are.

The deluxe suite itself is located at the very end of the floor, separated slightly from the standard rooms. It's rather nice. It includes a minibar and premium cable tv, as well as a large bathtub and his and hers toiletries. Ted helpfully "slips" that its considered the honeymoon suite. There's also a private phone line to their own personal concierge.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

“Let me just talk to my wife a moment please Tedsays Nik, taking Vanessa aside.

His voice lowers to a whisper. “Once the wires are set up, we can monitor them from any room. I’m not so sure about being on the same floor as one of our targets. Plus this room is guaranteed to be expensive.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right, we'll take the room on ten," she whispers back, nodding. "Not very romantic, maybe, but we're both playing our parts. When you go out with your girlfriend, be more generous then. She'll appreciate it. We may also want to bug the conference room, in case they use it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

“We’ll see. It might not be necessary, and it adds to the risk.”

Nik goes back to Ted. “We’ll take the room on the 10th floor. Times are hard you see. Is there a conference happening here soon?” he adds.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Once they express interest in a typical room, Ted loses interest rapidly. His smile grows more distant and his answers less expansive.

He leads them back down and quickly checks them both in, providing them both with a keycard for the room.

"There you go, enjoy your stay. A conference? There's an insurance brokers one coming up in about two weeks, but none at the moment, no."

The room the agents get to is an ordinary hotel room. It's kind of small but functional enough, and offers a decent view of an NYC city block. With this taken care of, the Agents can consider their day just about over. The rookies will report on what they've learned about their targets first thing in the morning, but are likely to be hard at work until then. Not accounting for Colm, Drinkwater is the first of their targets who will arrive, and he is likely not going to be at the hotel until after 5 in the afternoon tomorrow.

Presuming the agents decide to investigate, they determine that Drinkwater's room is also unoccupied. Only Hames' seems to currently have guests staying inside of it.
OOC:   I'm assuming you all want to book the room until the day after the conference, the 25th. It's the 18th now. McRay's covering your bill.

Let me know if you have any additional plans today. If not, I'll move us to Sunday.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Sounds fine to me.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Okay, as long as we still have time to get access to the rooms tomorrow. One thing that occurred to me is that if we can find a master keycard (such as housekeeping uses), we could swap one of our room keycards for it. They'll notice it doesn't work as soon as they try it, but hopefully they'd just get a replacement thinking it's been degaussed. If we're fast enough, we may be able to put it back before anyone notices. We may be able to clone a master keycard, using its data to overwrite the data on our room's keycards, if we can get ahold of a machine that writes to the magnetic stripe, which probably wouldn't take long to use.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

ooc,Hmm, trying to decide what to make you roll here. Mr.Handy that's a good plan, let me go ahead and lay out the options I can think of. Persuade/bribe a worker to get access to the rooms. Roll persuade and after I add/subtract the modifiers( depending on what you tell them and how convincing it seems) I'll let you know how it goes. The risk here is them reporting you, especially if you crit fail. The benefit is if you get someone on your side, it makes the rest of this much easier. Or go ahead and try to steal the keycard while housekeeping is distracted. I'd probably say this is a stealth roll with a +20 bonus. (If you failed I'd probably say you need to roll persuade to bluff a convincing story, but this could be one way into transitioning into the first plan.) Then it's a matter of getting into all three rooms and ensuring you're not disturbed while you're planting the bugs, which could take some time. There are ways to do this, but I'd rather not reveal them. Just muse on it and see what you come up with. That's hopefully half the fun. Of course neither plan is without risk, and I want to restress to you guys that if you think it's too risky you could just forego bugging the rooms. Along with you both you have a team of FBI agents under your command who can shadow the targets whenever they're out in public, so bugging their rooms may not be something you wish to pursue unless you feel that one of them is up to something shady. It's entirely up to you how you conduct the investigation, and go about the mission. Hopefully I've not made this too obtuse!
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I think Mr. Handy’s plan is good. Bribing a hotel worker is too risky. It shouldn’t be too difficult to distract somebody and take their card, although there is still risk. But we would ideally have to wire the room phones as well as the rooms themselves. And someone needs to monitor these wires too, at least while they’re occupied, and we can’t ask the rookies to do that. Still, we’ve come this far so we might as well do it. I say go with Mr. Handy’s plan.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Okay. I'll make the switch while [b]Nik[/b] distracts the housekeeper, seeing that I actually have points in Stealth. If we get spotted, then we can show the badges and say we're from the FBI and ask for assistance in our surveillance. Maybe we should try that tomorrow. In the meantime, we can try to obtain a machine that will allow us to copy a magnetic keycard. [b]McRay[/b] might be able to help us there.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Okay, go ahead and make a Bureaucracy roll. Succeed and McRay can give you the machine by tomorrow. If this roll fails, you'll need to go ahead and try to stealth stealing the card.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa is unable to obtain the machine on short notice.
OOC,Bureaucracy roll (42% skill) to get [b]McRay[/b] to provide us with a magnetic card writing machine: [dice]0[/dice] Does [b]Nik[/b] get to try to roll too?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I rolled for Nik but it failed: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/540288]Bureaucracy[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]38[/b]
"Dammit" says Nik, frustrated at their inability to get the machine.

"Let's go ahead and call the housekeeper. Good luck!"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

ooc,Tough luck. Okay, i guess you should try to steal from housekeeping. This is a stealth roll with a+20 bonus. Only one of you can try it, so I assume Vanessa wants to give it a go/

Return to “Delta Green: S-Cell”