Chapter 4: The Mountain

May, 1928. A journalist disappears in the midst of strange goings on in the mountains of Vermont. Was it a simple accident, or something else? A terrifying conspiracy is underway, and it is up to an intrepid band of investigators to stop it before hundreds of lives are lost.

Moderator: HoneyDog

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 4: The Mountain

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Sneak 27%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora's overcoat keeps getting caught on the branches, and she makes a lot of noise...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Henry Sneak 10: Sneak: 1d100 29
Balzac Sneak 10: Sneak: 1d100 35  
Despite their attempted caution, the companions’ unfamiliarity with the terrain, and the cold and dark, prevent them from moving silently enough. They attract the attention of a watcher from above.

The sound of swooping wings draws their eyes upwards, in time to see the hideous creature from their earlier encounter. It is brandishing the mysterious piece of metal, which is aimed at the group. From its tip suddenly issues a mist, which rolls towards them, threatening to engulf them.
OOC,Mysterious Creature's Mist Weapon 70: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/533783]Mist Projector[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]40[/b] Everyone can roll Dodge, or be engulfed by the mist.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Dodge Dex x 2 = 26%

[dice]0[/dice]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice leaps aside at the last possible second, barely avoiding the mist.
OOC,Dodge roll (22% base skill) to avoid the mist: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Dodge[/i] is 31% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Nope. The cold has dulled Balzac's reflexes and the rusty old rugby skills have let him down.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry is suddenly shaken into action.
Spoiler:
Henry Dodge 18 [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I want to maximize your chances of survival here, so I’ll lessen the effect of the creature’s attack. [b]Isadora’s[/b] roll was so close so let’s give her the benefit of the doubt.[b] Balzac [/b]and [b]Henry[/b] will take damage though – both need to roll 1d3, and then subtract 1 point damage as you’re wearing thick clothing. [b]Alice[/b] has a shotgun, but I don’t think [b]Isadora[/b] is carrying a weapon? All of you have the bottles of moonshine but I’m assuming you haven’t yet fashioned them into bombs? Or did you? That would take a little time, so [b]Isadora[/b] would miss this combat round. If you’ve made your bombs then she can use with Throw. Alternatively she can make a grab for a fallen weapon – roll Dex x4. [b]Alice [/b]is free to open fire if she wishes. The creature will need to land in order to use it’s weapon properly so next we’ll conduct a normal combat round, highest Dex goes first. But unfortunately that means the monster! It will only aim at one person, but the mist spreads!
Alice manages to dive away from the spreading mist, while Isadora luckily only catches the tail end of it, which chills her to the bone. But Henry and Balzac are both in the middle of it, and are overcome by a numbing sensation of utter cold. Luckily for them, the creature was swooping as it fired it’s weapon, and much of the spread of the mist went above them.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Spoiler:
Henry Damage[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Damage 2 Correction 1 - thanks ES  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice rises up on one knee and unslings the shotgun from her shoulder. Taking aim at the creature, she squeezes the trigger and is amazed that she manages to hit it squarely.
OOC,Shotgun roll (30% base skill) shooting at the creature: [dice]0[/dice] I'm not sure what range I'm at, which determines what I roll for damage.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Damage,[dice]0[/dice] [b]Balzac[/b] takes 1 HP
Shotgun,[b]Balzac's[/b] [i]Shotgun[/i] is 30% and he fires both barrels... [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]
Uttering vile oaths in French, Balzac raises his shotgun and unloads both barrels.
OOC,If the beastie was 13 feet or closer, and the point blank rule applies, the first shot would be a hit too.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,The creature is fairly close, so you can both roll 1d6 for damage. I believe that the second shot from a double-barrelled needs to be rolled at half DEX. Please feel free to correct me - I'm still new to this stuff.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,I believe the rule is both barrels can be fired at DEX or the character can choose to fire one at DEX and one at half DEX. Balzac chooses to fire both together. Feel free to correct me if I've got this wrong.
Damage,[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Would firing both together though mean that you only get one Shotgun roll?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,Not sure. My RW experience with Cthulhu was the original rules and we played it the way I described earlier. However, if CoC 6th Ed intention is that you only get one roll if you fire both barrels simultaneously, please assume Balzac fires them at DEX and half DEX for two attacks.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Shotgun rules,in the 6e book, the rule is on page 63. There are options: "A double-barreled shotgun may fire both barrels simultaneously at DEX in one round, one barrel at DEX and at half DEX in the same round, or one barrel each in different rounds"
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora feels defenseless... She avoided the freezing fog, but only by sheer luck.

"We need to spread out, it cannot get everybody with one shot," she shouts to the others over the shotgun blasts.

If possible, she tries to retreat a bit, and begin assembling a moonshine firebomb.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I think then as Balzac fired both barrels at once, we have to take the first of the rolls; hence it is a miss. It would be understandable seeing that Balzac just got a good freezing. Alice was on target though, and perhaps Henry will be too. Is this acceptable?
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   Does Henry have one of the shotguns? I don't remember specifically saying he had one. If not he looks around for a large branch to swing at the creature.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Balzac had brought along a .30 lever action rifle. He has the shotgun, Alice has Rooger's shotgun, so we could assume Henry has the rifle.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Damage from first shell: [dice]0[/dice] With a double-barreled shotgun, you only roll Shotgun once if you fire both barrels simultaneously. If you fire one and then the other, you roll separately, but the second one goes at 1/2 DEX in the firearms portion of the round. I'm not sure whether the shotgun I picked up has a single or double barrel. I hadn't even thought of it at the time. If it is double-barreled, could I have fired both barrels as well?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Thanks for the clarification Mr. H. Yes you have a double-barrel too, so you can fire it again. If you fired both barrels at once, I assume it would do more damage? Therefore, should the damage bonus be increased? I have to check the rules more thoroughly, but I can't see how that works.

Return to “The Madman”