Assault on the Mountains of Madness

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Assault on the Mountains of Madness

Post by Overlord87 »

March, 1945: the forces of the Axis are falling back on all fronts. After half a decade of bloodshed and destruction, the end of the war is finally approaching. Yet, unknown to the Allies, the enemy has one more ace up their sleeve. A routine investigation of an abandoned submarine base leads to the discovery of a massive Nazi secret operation in Antarctica. As the Allies gather whatever forces they can divert to this new front of the war, a desperate race against time begins in the heart of the frozen continent, one last clash under the shadow of the Mountains of Madness to thwart this final plot of horror and madness.

I love military history. I love long, epic campaigns. So, it goes without saying that I'd be extremely interested in this campaign produced by Modiphius for their Achtung! Cthulhu setting. I got the book a few months ago and I've been studying it, also gathering whatever else material I might need. Now, I'm ready to start this new project. I'll use the Call of Cthulhu sixth edition rules, while adding some stuff from Chaosium's Pulp Cthulhu sourcebook (which is for 7th edition, but easy enough to convert). I'll enter into the details as we proceed to character creation. For now, it should suffice to say that the campaign will be very pulp in theme, with the characters able to soak up much more punishment than would be normally possible, while at the same time facing threats much larger than a normal Cthulhu investigative campaign. This is, after all, a truly military campaign.

I'm looking for 4 to 7 players. The pace will be adjusted to the players, but I'm considering a rate of about 3 posts per week, more or less. Players will only be required to be familiar with 6th edition rules, although owning the Achtung Cthulhu Investigator's Guide would be useful (still, I'll provide all relevant informations, so it's by no means mandatory). Also, I'd like the players to have no prior experience with the campaign (or at least, not having played it past the first couple of segments). On the other hand, players that have completed Chaosium's Beyond the Mountains of Madness are welcome and will definitely find this campaign all the more entertaining.

Let me know who might be interested :D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Assault on the Mountains of Madness

Post by Mr. Handy »

Ooh, yes, please! 8-) I have a bunch of Achtung! Cthulhu stuff I bought on sale. Not only do I have the Investigator and Keeper books, I also actually have Assault on the Mountains of Madness, though I have refrained from reading it in the hopes that I'd get to play it one day. At last that day is coming!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

I'm definitely interested in this. I too have the Achtung! Cthulhu Investigator and Keeper books, though I've yet to use either. That said, I'm not sure I want to take on a third game... let me chew on it for a day or two.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Oh boy, count me in!
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Two for now, maybe three. At four we can get things going, and we can always add other players later on.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

I'd be up for this, I have the CoC6th ed as well as the 7th, but my Achtung Cuthulhu Investigators Guide is the Fate edition.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Priest wrote:I'd be up for this, I have the CoC6th ed as well as the 7th, but my Achtung Cuthulhu Investigators Guide is the Fate edition.
I won't be using Fate, but you can still use it for reference, and I'll provide the relevant information for the CoC system.

Anyway, if jaysun confirms, we can get started.

Recruitment still open for anyone who wants to jump in :D
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Hi there. I'm new to this style of play but would love to travel to Antartica. Please count me in if there's still room on the boat.

Mister Ginge.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Sure, welcome aboard ;) As a general warning, since I see you're new to the forum and possibly to play by forum, keep in mind that a short adventure might take months to complete, a campaign like this, even 3 or 4 years. It's not really time consuming, though, so it's only a matter of sticking until the end. But I've seen many people leaving midway, so it's not for everybody. And it might also happen that real life gets in the way. If you need or want to pull out along the way, just let me know and I'll handle it (better than disappearing without a word, and yes I've had that too unfortunately). Anyway, glad to have you ;)

Once the forum is created, we are ready to start.

Recruitment still open, a couple of spots available.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Thanks for having me. Hopefully I'm in for the long term, barring cosmic catastrophe or poor broadband!
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Mr. Handy, can you create the forum? We have the 4 players to start (maybe 5 once we get confirmation from jaysun) :D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Done. The forum is here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Mr. Handy wrote:Done. The forum is here.
Great, thank you :D

Recruitment is still open for anyone who wants to jump in ;)
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Overlord87, I believe at this time it's best for me to withdraw myself from being a potential players (sorry for chewing longer than a day or two :D). I don't want any of the games I'm playing in to suffer because of being stretched thin. That said, thanks for holding a possible seat open for me. Have a rousing adventure!
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Ooh, is there room for another player? I'd love to join! - Andy
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

andyw666 wrote:Ooh, is there room for another player? I'd love to join! - Andy
Sure, welcome! You can head to the forum and start working on your character ;)
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

jaysun81 wrote:Overlord87, I believe at this time it's best for me to withdraw myself from being a potential players (sorry for chewing longer than a day or two :D). I don't want any of the games I'm playing in to suffer because of being stretched thin. That said, thanks for holding a possible seat open for me. Have a rousing adventure!
The campaign allows new players to jump in quite easily, so keep an eye on it and if it will be possible, I'll gladly welcome you in later on :D
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

We are beginning character creation. Still accepting new players, if anyone is interested ;)
Hank Hankins
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Hank Hankins »

Knock knock
With extra tentacles, please.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Hank Hankins wrote:Knock knock
Hi :) there's still one opening available. You can head to the game forum and start working on your character.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”