Last Things Last

The year is 1999. A group of agents with the FBI quickly discover a routine case is anything but. Thrust into a world that's as incomprehensible as it is deadly, can this team hope to hold back the darkness?

Moderator: Silver Priest

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Last Things Last

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   If there is only the one piece of paper then it surely behooves us to remove it from the vicinity, i.e. pocket it for our own investigation, along with the extra key, which will probably fit the cabin's front door - maybe?  
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's remove the deed to the cabin and the keys," says Vanessa. "We're going to have to check out the cabin too. There could be something there. Even though we'll be removing any references to it from the apartment, there are records of ownership and it is part of his estate. We have a little time to make sure it's clean, but his family would find ii eventually."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

“I agree, we should check it out. We can return the deed later maybe. I’d better call my girlfriend. Shit, she’s gonna tear me a new one.”

He pauses. “I’d better call in at the old lady’s apartment. Sorry guys, I know you’re tired. But maybe we could all use a nice cup of tea, as the British say.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Moving us along, if you guys want to do anything else let me know and I'll retcon it in.  
Nik's girlfriend is rather unhappy with him, and he gets the impression he's going to be sleeping on the couch the next few nights. Still, she tells him to do what he needs to; he just better be willing to pay for it later.
Nik,Mechanically there's no loss to the bond here, but things will no doubt be tense for awhile.
That unpleasant task done, Nik ends over to Mrs. Janowitz's apartment. The old woman is happy to see him, and after some minor convincing the other agents are free to come over as well. The four enjoy some tea and a nice home cooked meal of meatloaf and mashed potatoes before the agents head off to the cabin.

It's a three hour drive, and in a far more rural part of the state. Buildings and traffic gradually disappear. By the last few minutes of the trip, no other people or signs of human habitation can be found. Finnally the agents spy the road leading to Baughman's cabin. It's been worn away by the weather and is poorly maintained, but they make it down with only a few close calls.

The cabin itself is all alone on the property, a few miles off the main road. Designed in a faux-log cabin atmosphere, it's a one story building that seems innocuous for the area. There's plenty of space to park and get out to investigate it. A well is nearby the cabin, apparently where the water is pumped in from.

The front door is locked, but one of Vanessa's keys allows access. Inside, the interior is cramped, and cobwebs and dust can be spied on various pieces of furniture. There's a fireplace that does not see much use(unsurprising given the temperature around here) and a few animal heads mounted within the living quarters. The living room itself has several sofas and chairs and a coffee table. A kitchen is attached to the living room. To the east, a hallway can be seen, down which are a few closets and two doors leading to the bedroom and bathroom. A final door is at the end of the hall, seeming to lead out back to a porch.
OOC:   It's currently 11 or so at night and pitchblack. The team is probably exhausted, but not so much that they suffer in game penalties. I'm going to say you have a flashlight or two so if you want to bust them out that might be wise.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa takes out her flashlight and turns it on. "I guess there's no power here," she says, "but maybe there's a generator somewhere on the premises. Let's go through the rooms and get an overview of what's here, then focus on searching specific things of interest."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Vanessa tries the light, and finds there is indeed no power.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Edmund gives the main room a quick search, albeit with his maglight held in his mouth.

[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   (sorry I forgot about the dice roll section :oops: )  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik heads into the kitchen to look around.
Search,Search 41: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/497873]Search[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]58[/b]
As usual, he finds nothing.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   No worries about the dice rolls, I mostly created the thread for myself. Post them wherever you like.  
The team possess three flashlights. They do an adequate job of lighting up the cabin, at least enough to prevent any risk of injury from stumbling around.

Vanessa finds that besides the previous mentioned rooms, the door out back leads to a porch. A few yards beyond the porch stand two buildings, which look to be a small outhouse and a shed. The outhouse is unlocked; the shed is, but the federal agent has one of the keys to open it if she so wishes.

Further back from these buildings lies a bit of disturbed earth near the edges of the property. There's the exposed top of a septic tank there. Weathering serves to indicate it has stood partially exposed for years, though presently only the hatch is visible.

Circling back inside the house, Vanessa finds little of interest inside the bathroom save a few prescriptions for heart medicines and a bottle of aspirin. In the bedroom she finds a small closet, a nightstand, and a medium sized bed. It looks undisturbed, and rather inviting after the long day they've all had. It seems to only be able to fit one person, however. Opening the closet finds only one outfit,a crisp, professional suit that's covered in long stale blood. There's also a long grey footlocker inside the closet. The lock is strong, and none of the keys seem to fit it.
OOC:   Unfortunately none of you seem to have Craft: Locksmith... Someone can give me a str*5 roll to find something and try to smash the lock.  
Edmund finds little of interest in the main room. A few nature books and maps lay on the coffee table, but nothing else of note. Checking under the couch's cushions does find him a grand total of 15 cents, which he can keep if he so wishes.

Nik's search of the kitchen is similarly disappointing. There's very little here. But he opens the refrigerator and finds some food, all expired for two months or so. This would at least serve to suggest Clyde had been here fairly recently.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik stops by the bedroom to see how Vanessa is getting on. He eyes the bloody suit dubiously. “I’ll help with that” he says, indicating the lock on the footlocker.

Going outside the back door, he finds a shovel. Raising it over his head, he brings the edge down on the padlock.
Strength,Strength x5 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/497893]Strength[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]34[/b]
It breaks and falls on the floor.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The lock gives, and the footlocker can be opened. Inside there are several things.

A paperback book: "Occult America: The Secret History of How Mysticism Shaped Our Nation" by Mitch Horowitz. It is well worn and has been reads through several times. Some of the pages look to be in danger of falling out.

Perhaps alarmingly, A L85A2 assault rifle, along with 100 bullets.
OOC:   (Does 1d12+2 damage, 30 shots capacity, capable of bust fire.)  
A book entitled "The Interrupted Journey" by John Fuller. It seems to detail the purported alien abductions of Betty and Barney Hill. A post-it is attached to the corner, and reads Greys?
Half a box of matches, next to a few candles.

A leather bound book, untitled.

An urn filled with what seems to be ashes, labeled JOHN DOE.

Three VHS tapes, labeled Church of the Holy Redeemer Recordings..

And lastly, an envelope. A crudely drawn green triangle has been placed on it. The agents realize it's the same symbol that was on the note in the locker.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Damn!”

Nik whistles admiringly.

“When I was a kid I dreamed of having a collection of weird shit like this.”

He picks up the envelope with the Delta Green logo, and opens it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good thing we found it, then," says Vanessa "We'll have to take all the contents of the footlocker. There's something that's bugging me. Why is there both a septic tank and an outhouse? Does the plumbing here even work?" She goes into the bathroom and tries to flush the toilet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Oddly enough, the cabin does not have running water. It seems to have been turned off, if it was ever around at all.

Nik tears open the envelope, inside of which is a torn note.

To Whom it May Concern,

If you are reading this, I can only assume I have died before I had the courage to undertake my final mission. You will find about 20 gallons of gasoline in the shed behind this cabin. Pour it all down into the septic tank and ignite it. You'd be happier if you don't look inside.

I am so sorry. May God please forgive me.

Clyde Baughman
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

"Jesus Christ!" Nik exclaims, his eyes wide. "Marchand! Rue!Look at this!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Vanessa whistles when she reads the note. "Well, that explains why the indoor plumbing isn't working," she says. "I think we'd better do as he said in the note."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

"You're not curious about what it might be that we're burning?" Nik hesitates. It could be a creature like they encountered before, but it might not be.

"Maybe there's something here that can give us some indication."

He picks up the leather-bound book and opens it.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The leather bound book seems to be some sort of journal. Nik reads the first entry.

I'm putting these words down for my own sanity. These are things I cannot tell my wife or children. I can't even tell the others. The things I've seen... The things I've done... And yet, who else would? No one should bear my burden.

Here I will put down everything I recall of my work. PETERS suggested it. He's a psychologist in his dayjob, at least he says. But I don't even know his real name, so who knows how much credence I can give that. But he told me it might help. If it gets rid of even a few of the nightmares it's worth it.

The entry is not dated. Flipping through the book none of them seem to be. There are dozens of them, however. It will take Nik quite some time to read through the book; The better part of a day, at least.

The very back of the book has several pages torn out. Of them, there is no sign.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Nik

"This is his journal. It'll take some time to read, but it might give us some answers.There's the videos too. I'll go along with whatever you decide Marchand, but at least let's try and find out more about this."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Edmund Rue
"Has anyone seen a video recorder around here, it looks like we are going to be here for a long while? I do not think that we are going to be able to carry out his wishes and destroy everything until we know what it is we are destroying here, are we?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Delta Green: S-Cell”