Chapter 3: Preparations and Advice

Arkham, Massachusetts, 1928. The last dying plea of an old friend and mentor leads to an encounter with a horror beyond description. Unwittingly released into the world nearly fifty years before, it is now time to finally confront the mistakes of the past. But it will come at great cost...

Moderator: HoneyDog

innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Chapter 3: Preparations and Advice

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry gives Alice a look that says he thinks Armitage has been on the hooch, but realising that his scepticism may have cost them his assistance he tries to make amends.

"Gee, Dr Armitage, I didn't mean to offend you. It's just this is all a little hard to take in ..."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Henry,Roll Luck
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Spoiler:
Henry Luck 65[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Henry Armitage.jpg
Henry Armitage.jpg (3.28 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Unfortunately, Armitage catches the look which Henry gives Alice. His jaw clenches and his cheeks redden. However, when he speaks, his voice is soft. He talks directly to Alice, ignoring Henry and Isadora.

“The only proof you’ll get is by witnessing the… things, which I’ve seen, and which Dennis obviously saw. Here is my advice – go back to your work, forget all about this.”

He looks at Henry now. “You’ll live longer”.

“Good day to you all. Please leave now, I'm very busy.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your time, Dr. Armitage," says Alice. "I have no work now that Professor Putnam is dead, other than the final task he set for me, so that is what I must do. Goodbye."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"I don't know what's made him so grumpy" Henry says to Alice and Isadora once outside.

"I've a good mind not to bring him a copy of my book after all. Let's hope the others are having a better morning."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac stashes all the purchases in the boot of the first car, other than the map which he keeps handy.

"Back to Miskatonic to collect our colleagues, I think." He drives the first motor and will leave it to one of the others to drive the second over.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,[color=#0000FF]"I've a good mind not to bring him a copy of my book after all.[/color][/quote] That made me laugh. What's the next step?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

The hired motors journey back to Miskatonic. Balzac jumps out to find the others, French cigarette in mouth. "May I suggest un café and something from the bakery before we leave. Does anyone know how long this drive will take?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That sounds good to me," says Alice, "I'm afraid we didn't have much luck. The drive should be short. Ross's Corners is just a few miles to the west."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora didn't take part in the conversation with Armitage -- she didn't trust him enough. And things escalated quickly, and now he doesn't trust the investigators either. All he gave them was a little tidbit of information: a reference to Nephren-ka, the ‘black pharoah’. The words send shivers down Isadora's spine.

"We have to keep an open mind," she says, on the margins of the meeting with Armitage. "Keep skepticism low when people talk to us."

She doesn't want to antagonize Glynn and accuse him of ruining everything, though.

"Even if we don't learn hard facts (although I think the librarian could have been a good source), we do learn about the psychology and the mindset of poor Professor Putnam and his 'Brotherhood'."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Good job Dr Balzac" says Henry examining the motors.

"A late breakfast and then off to Ross's Corners to see these ghouls and goblins for ourselves?"
domdombear
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by domdombear »

Spoiler:
OOC:   Rupert is unable to drive,being young and from a wealthy family he has never needed to. So he is going to be useless for driving  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Would you like to head off to Ross's Corners now? Everyone in 2 cars. If so I can begin a new thread. Do you want to stop in the village or head straight to the farmhouse?  
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

When they have finished at the Café Henry helps Alice and Isadora into the car driven by Balzac. He's particularly attentive in seating Alice and then more or less bundles Isadora in. With the ladies seated for the journey he leans in to Balzac:

"Let's stop at Ross's Corners and have a snoop around - see if anyone can tell us anything about the farmhouse and whether there have been any comings and goings. Could be squatters in an old place like that."

Henry jumps into the other vehicle driven by Vivar ready for the off. He turns to Marlowe:

"They got motors like these in England son?"
OOC:   Assuming Vivar has driven car 2 round as Marlowe can't drive ...  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Yes, let's stop at the village first. We do need some sort of a cover story, because we don't want the locals to panic. Any ideas? Maybe we are just travelling through, stopping for a bite at the local tavern?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Wolf
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Wolf »

OOC:   Vivar hasnt drived since he was a student. But he remembers a bit ;)  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac shrugs in Gallic fashion as he dunks a pastry in his café, getting drops of coffee everywhere. "Should they panic? Two car loads of visitors is surely not so radical even in the more rural parts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts."

"And I travel to remote locations all the time for my researches. I will tell them I am conducting botanical research for Miskatonic. Not so far from the truth. You can be assisting me or doing research of your own as you like. But stopping at the town seems a good plan. There may be somewhere nice to have lunch?"

Balzac gets out the map to make sure everyone knows where they are going (and gets a coffee ring on it).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should stick to the truth, or part of it," says Alice. "We are Professor Putnam's friends, and we're there to set his affairs in order."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac salutes Alice with his coffee cup. "I admire the optimism of youth. Very well, Mlle, the truth it is."

Return to “Edge of Darkness”