[IC - LA] The UCLA (Clarence, Holly, and Chris.)

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: [IC - LA] The UCLA (Clarence, Holly, and Chris.)

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher smiles at the secretary's comments; "So, you're saying that Dr. Ayers didn't return ... that's very unusual isn't it? I mean you'd know if Dr. Ayers was on extended leave or has taken a sabbatical? After all Dr. Ayers is still listed as part of the faculty..." Christopher asks amicably.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

She replies sternly at Christopher: "Well, mister, it's those folks at the central administrative office that must update the records. That's not my job, no sir. And if they think fine to keep Professor Ayers on the records, well, that's not my problem either", she moves around a stack of paperwork and slams it on the desk with just a little too much strength.

"He left... let me think... it was June 1924. I just arranged the transfer to... what was it... Massaua. Professor Ayers didn't want to disclose any additional information on his travel plan with little old me, but I guess Dr. MacDunn would know, being his boss. I don't know what happened to him since then, but maybe he liked it there and decided to change life. Who knows? I don't think he's dead, though. Or at least the news never reached here".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Holly. "Where can we find Dr. MacDunn?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Well, Miss, I'd start in his office, end of the corridor on the right. But you'll have to get on his good side if you want to get more than a grunt or two from him", she says matter-of-factly, "You aren't gonna find many people more full of themselves than a white-haired academic fellow", she adds disapprovingly, then quickly, towards Christopher, "Meaning no offense, mister".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Holly. She glances at Chirstopher to see if his hair really has turned white. She hadn't noticed, but after everything that had happened, she wouldn't have been surprised.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Clarence Lanalor
Clarence feels somewhat uncomfortable in these surroundings what with his not being too academic himself.

"Well we already met with one academic, and he was nowhere near as full of himself ma'am, though I do admit he was a fair bit off being white-haired just yet"
Last edited by Cearlan on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher chuckles "No offence taken, I assure you. You have been very helpful we shall try our luck with Dr MacDunn."
OOC:   There's something odd here, why is Ayers still listed as being with the faculty, surely he'd be removed (from directories) at the very least.?  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

MacDunn's office is close nearby, identified by a bronze plate saying "Dr. Hamish MacDunn", and below that, "Head of the History Department". You knock once, without getting an answer, then a second time, and finally an annoyed voice answers from inside: "Yes!". Taking that as a "Please, come in", you open the door and walk into a small office, filled with books and paper. Everywhere you can turn your eyes, there are either books, or notes, or folders, sometimes even piled up on the floor. MacDunn himself is barely visible behind a pile of big books, sitting at his desk, probably reading or writing - hard to tell. Surely, he doesn't seem particularly interested in you, as he only casts a quick glance before returning to his work, saying only a curt: "Good morning. Why are you here?".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good morning, Dr. MacDunn," says Holly. "I'm sorry to interrupt you, but we won't take long. We'd like to ask you some questions about Dr. Ayers and his expedition to Ethiopia, and you are the most knowledgeable on the subject."
OOC,Using Flattery, though I'm out of actual points to spend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Clarence Lanalor
Clarence will spend 1 point of reassurance in support of Holly's question.

"Yes good morning Sir. We will take up as little of your valuable time as we possibly can, and of course anything you tell us will be handled in the strictest confidence Dr. MacDunn."
Last edited by Cearlan on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

MacDunn looks up from his work and stares at you intently for the first time: "Strictest confidence? What do you mean by that? And who are you? I know the records would need a little updating, but that's just bureaucracy. The educational activities have been proceeding without interruption anyway".
Christopher,His answer surprises you at first, as it seems out of context. Then you remember hearing about a similar situation from a professor you're acquainted with. The academic department's funding is linked to the number of courses it theoretically supports. So, MacDunn would obviously have no reason to hurry and remove Ayers from official records. This would probably be considered badly from the university higher ups, were it to come to light. In fact, Clarence's mentioning of "full discretion" might have alarmed him that you were investigating on the matter, rather than on Ayers's himself. This is quite lucky, as you can surely use this information as leverage on him.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher smiles, making the connection ... "Please,Dr. MacDunn, we only want information on Ayers, we have no interest in possible irregularities in your department." Christopher says, stressing the 'we' hoping that MacDunn will get the implied inference that 'others' would be, it he had to be more 'blunt' then so be it. "I'm sure you can tell us about the man, yes?"

OOC,I thought there was something fishy going on! And back at Joy Grove too.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'll use Assess Honesty on [b]Dr. MacDunn[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

MacDunn clears his throat and says: "Well, yes, Dr. Ayers. I remember giving him leave to go to Africa for a year, to pursue a dig in some ancient site he was interested in. Provided he could find an outside donor to finance the trip, obviously. He left alone, if I remember correctly, or at least, no leave was granted to any graduate student to go with him". He scratches his chin for a few seconds before continuing: "He sent reports for a time, I think. I didn't have a chance to read them, unfortunately, but they should be filed away somewhere. Yes, surely", he nods absentmindedly.
Holly,You think he is being honest, and he looks relieved that you are interested in the man, and not the out of date records. You get the idea he must realize that Ayers has been missing for too long, but seems to be avoiding the subject.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Clarence Lanalor
Clarence hides a slight smile as he asks;

"You say these reports are probably filed away somewhere. Would it be possible to peruse these, there may be some vital information contained in them which could be of great help us."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

MacDunn says: "Well, yes, I believe it should be possible. Especially if everything we said will remain... strictly confidential, as you said. Mrs. Burnish should know where to find Ayers old stuff, you can ask her to show you".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your help, Doctor," says Holly. She turns to her colleagues. "Shall we go see her now?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Clarence Lanalor
"Yes Sir, thank very much for your assistance. Personally I don't know how you manage to cope with this much work, I take my hat off to you, or I would if I were wearing one." clarence adds with a smile.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Once he and the others are in the corridor .. "I don't know if either of you realise why MacDunn became more amenable... the man's crooked, he's still claiming funding for Ayers... I've heard of something similar in other establishments, it would probably be quite a scandal is we 'spilled the beans'. he shakes his head and continues back down to re-visit Mrs. Burnish.
OOC - am on hols next week,probably not able to post
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, that explains it," says Holly. "As long as they cooperate, we don't need to do anything about their petty crime. We've got bigger fish to fry."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”