[IC - SAVANNAH] Arriving in Savannah

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: [IC - SAVANNAH] Arriving in Savannah

Post by Overlord87 »

Ian finds Dr. Teake's address and telephone number on the phone directory. The address is in the historic area of the city.
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

Father Flanagan looks mildly concerned. "That's all well and good, but can we be sure he'll be willing to share any information he might have? From speaking with Dr. Powell, it seems like patient-doctor confidentiality may get in our way here. Obviously I don't want to advocate outright deceit, but... we should put some thought into how we approach these doctors. Seems like we need to present a very good reason for them to confide in us any private information regarding Henslowe. Dr. Chastain, under what circumstances would you release patient information to non-medical personnel?"

Flanagan wrings his hands.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"In cases involving homicide or suicide, I am allowed to tell the authorities," says Holly. "Whatever happened in August 1924 may qualify, but we need to know more about it before we can play that card. And that's right, the letters from 1934 do have the address of the sanitarium again, so he must have been recommitted. That means people who only started working there more recently may indeed know him. He may even still be a patient there."
OOC,The homicide and suicide exceptions to confidentiality are how things work today, but I'd guess they existed in 1937 as well. Child abuse is another exception today, though I'm not sure if it would have been back then.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Spoiler:
OOC:   I don't honestly know what was the legislation about doctor-patient confidentality in the USA in the thirties. Let's assume for the game that it was the same as today.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"The information we have, the letters indicate that Henslowe is indeed a patient at Joy Grove and I concur with Dr. Chastain that's it is probable that the events in 1924 led to him being committed; Winston was affected by those 'events' too. It ought to be simple to find out if Henslowe is still a patient.. we just telephone the sanatorium and ask." with that Fontana flicks through the pages of the local telephone directory to locate the telephone number for Joy Grovel.
OOC:   Can we make a call from the library? If so then Fontan will call Joy Grove, confirm that Henslowe is a patient... or not and try and make an appt. to visit (tomorrow).
I don't think there's any need to 'interview' Dr Teake or Dr Keaton - unless we can't get to see Henslowe.  
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

"I agree" Says Ian, coming back from the reception. "Henslowe is still our best source of information. For all we know, he was alive and admitted at Joy Grove two years ago. If we can talk to him, we may not need to convince any doctors to break confidentiality."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Christopher finds a telephone inside the public library and dials Joy Grove's number. A woman answers the call, speaking with a slight southern accent and introducing herself as Nurse Hampton.

"Yes, Mr. Henslowe's a patient heeyur at Joy Grove."

"I don't think it would be a problem, visitin' Mr. Henslowe. He iden one of our worst patients - not vaahlent or aggressive."

"Yes, you'd have to speak with his doctor, Dr. Keaton, first. No, he iden heeyur now. He'll be tomorrow mornin'. Yes, around 9 am would be great."

Spoiler:
OOC:   Ok, I'm not even mothertongue English, but I'm a sucker for languages and dialects. I've studied southern american accent on youtube videos to replicate it, hope it has worked out well (and I'm not just being ridicolous). If I'm being ridicolous, tell me and I'll avoid in the future. If it's working decently, I'll keep it :D .  
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Clarence, says, " Well , until the morning, that just leaves Virgina Henslowe at the family mansion. Can we find a telephone number for the mansion at Old Hope Road? I'd rather call in advance."
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

OOC:   Can Clarence ring up the operator and ask to be connected to the Henslowe mansion?  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Clarence manages to reach the Henslowe mansion via telephone.
Spoiler:
OOC:   I'll handle this conversation on private message with laitang. In the meantime, if you want to talk or do anything, assume that he's waiting/speaking on the phone.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm glad Mr. Henslowe is still alive," says Holly. "I'll admit that I was worried that he'd have passed away in the meantime. I'd like to be one of those going to visit him in the morning. My training will be useful, and I can also speak to the staff on their own level, as one professional to another."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana
Previously Dr Chastain said:   "I'd like to be one of those going to visit him in the morning. My training will be useful, and I can also speak to the staff on their own level, as one professional to another."  
"Of course, that's a capital idea.. I don't think we should all descend on Joy Grove though, it would be best for two of us to try and visit Henslowe, I doubt if five people would be allowed to visit... in one go I mean." he says, pleased to be making some progress. "It's getting late, we ought to get to the hotel.. we can discuss our 'strategy' for tomorrow's visit over dinner..." Christopher sees that Lanalor has finished hid phone conversation. "Any luck?" he asks.
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Clarence puts the phone down, and turns to the others, " Well no luck there. Definitely the Henslowe residence, but I couldn't make an appointment to see Mrs Henslowe, as she does not entertain visitors. Their manservant requested that we contact Mr Henslowe first. I suggest we find a restaurant, and make our plans for tomorrow over a meal"
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

You reach the Warren Hotel around 6 pm and take three rooms for the night. You then find a small restaurant nearby, to have dinner.

Spoiler:
OOC:   I'll assume you take three rooms: one for Holly, two doubles for the four males. Let me know how you want to move the next day.  
laitang
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by laitang »

Over dinner, Clarence agrees that only two visit Mr Henslowe. Clarence proposes that, the two visitors will need to :
-ask him to recall all the events of that fatefull summer and all related history
-get his permission to visit Mrs Henslowe and to forewarn the manservant at the mansion
-ask him about the whereabouts of the hidden journal
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

Father Flanagan pushes his food around on his plate, eating little. "I agree on only sending two people to meet Henslowe. That does leave most of us idle though... There must be something we could be doing. Searching newspaper archives, or something."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I should definitely be one of the two," says Holly between bites of her dinner. "The subjects you proposed are exactly what I want to broach. I'm sure there are other things the rest of you can be doing. Further research in the library is a good option, of course, or the newspaper archives. We still want to research the Henslowe family history and find out more about his wife and her home. Maybe you could also gather information by talking to townsfolk."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher tucks into his food with some gusto, finding himself quite hungry. Listening to the others he starts to form his own ideas on how to proceed.

"I believe that our best chance of eliciting information about the events that had such a profound effect on both Henslowe and Winston would be for Dr. Chastain and Father Flanagan to conduct the 'interview' by that I mean 'visit Henslowe at Joy Grove, of course." he says "It is a shame that we do not have the actual letters that Henslowe wrote in our possession, 'we' might have been able to use those to get Henslowe's trust; the man seems or rather seemed to want some 'corroboration' from Winston and the letters might help in getting him to discuss matters... " Christopher says between mouthful's of his excellent steak.

"I agree with Lanalor about the questions and information we need from Henslowe, I don't believe we should approach Henslowe's family until after Dr. Chastain and Father Flanagan have concluded their visit to Joy Grove; the rest of us can utilise the time researching Henslowe's family. We should probably also check that this is not the location of the 'event' in 1924... I rather doubt it is, the list of possible locations that Morin and I came up with are no where near here." he adds during the meal.

"I must say, this Peach Cobbler is delicious.." he says savouring each mouthful of the desert.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

"Uff, I think I had a little too much of these steaks. I will pass the desert and ask for a chamomile tea. Says Ian, having difficulty to breath. I concur that Dr. Chastain and Father Flanagan should go to Joy Grove. Does anyone of us have made a copy of the annotations Winston made on the letters? Maybe Henslowe can bring some light to that as well. Meanwhile I could go to the local newspaper and see if I can find any information on the Henslowes."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, I don't know, I could get used to Southern cooking,' says Holly, savoring the steak. It's not too often that she gets to eat something this good. "I did transcribe the various letters, numbers, lines, and circles on Henslowe's early letters, and I do intend to ask him about the apparent code and how to decipher it as well."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”