CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind spots Dr. Greene. 'Dr.Greene! You must come with me, immediately!'
Greene looks up at Øyvind and, seeing the intense look of concern on his face, he quickly stands and moves towards Øyvind, replying, "Yes Øyvind, what is it? Is someone in trouble?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
'Starkweather sends for you, we might have a injured crew member down there'
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:'Starkweather sends for you, we might have a injured crew member down there'
The doctor's eyes flick from Øyvind's face to the open hatch and back to Øyvind's face, then he says, "I'm not a battlefield medic, I'm a ship's physician, but if the Commander is down there then lead on, Mr. Raknes!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

7:10 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933
Refrigerated Hold - off Tweendeck Hold #4

James dragged Doug's limp body down the aisle to the corner of the compartment, but because of the tight confines of the area--and also the cold and damp metal flooring--he struggled to get the leverage necessary to turn the body around that corner. He lifted his left foot and braced it against a shelving system, then pushed off against the rack while leaning and heaving backwards, pulling on Doug's arms. The body turned over slightly, twisting, and suddenly flopped past, causing Starkweather to lose his grip and fall to his back on the floor, bouncing his skull off the metal plating.

"Uhhnn," James groaned as he sat up, rubbing the back of his head, then stood and renewed his efforts to save his crewman, attempting to get the unconscious man ever so nearer to the refrigeration compartment's doorway. Where the devil is Mister Raknes?, James thought while coughing from the ammonia gas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:'Starkweather sends for you, we might have a injured crew member down there'
The doctor's eyes flick from Øyvind's face to the open hatch and back to Øyvind's face, then he says, "I'm not a battlefield medic, I'm a ship's physician, but if the Commander is down there then lead on, Mr. Raknes!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Øyvind goes down again with Greene 'Starweather where are you?!' Øyvind moves towards the direction he last saw Starkweather.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Øyvind goes down again with Greene 'Starkweather where are you?!' Øyvind moves towards the direction he last saw Starkweather.
James Starkweather continued to pull Doug's body towards the doorway, his heart beginning to race from the effort, his breathing dangerously escalating amidst the ammonia gas. The hissing of the leaking pipe and the chugging of the refrigeration equipment echoed within the confines of the compartment, but he thought that he might've heard someone...

He yelled, "Mr. Raknes? In here!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

7:10 p.m. (ship time) – Monday 25th September, 1933
U.S.S. Gabrielle's Medical Facility

Katie Wright began to feel much better. The oxygen had helped; her lungs no longer burned and her coughing had subsided considerably. She continued to experience a lingering nausea and a bit of dizziness, so she wasn't exactly ready to run laps around the main deck--or to go back down into that hold--but perhaps she could risk moving about the ship.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie slowly sits up and swings her legs over the side of the bed, trying not to move too fast because of her lightheadedness. When she is able, she stands up and ventures out on deck to see what is happening and if there's anything she can do to help.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind goes down again with Greene 'Starkweather where are you?!' Øyvind moves towards the direction he last saw Starkweather.
James Starkweather continued to pull Doug's body towards the doorway, his heart beginning to race from the effort, his breathing dangerously escalating amidst the ammonia gas. The hissing of the leaking pipe and the chugging of the refrigeration equipment echoed within the confines of the compartment, but he thought that he might've heard someone...

He yelled, "Mr. Raknes? In here!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Øyvind reacts on the voice of Starkweather rushing towards him 'Greene! grab Dougs feet ill help Starkweather with dougs arms' 'coommon! let get Doug up the ladder!'
~Bony End of Story~
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Seeing that Adam Henning is safe and no longer in danger, Father Rucker decides to head back to the main deck and see if his help is needed again.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:Katie slowly sits up and swings her legs over the side of the bed, trying not to move too fast because of her lightheadedness. When she is able, she stands up and ventures out on deck to see what is happening and if there's anything she can do to help.
royya wrote:Seeing that Adam Henning is safe and no longer in danger, Father Rucker decides to head back to the main deck and see if his help is needed again.
Katie and Father Rucker pass through the ship's mess and exit the superstructure to find that all of the action continues to occur back where this calamity first began: at the hatch leading down to Tweendeck Hold number four and the reefer compartment.

U.S.S. Gabrielle's Main Deck
Professor Moore and half-a-dozen crewmen finished uncrating the hand pump and had connected it to one end of the fire hose that snaked down through the hatch. Moore yelled, "Begin pumping, men, and put your backs into it! I want you men to give it everything you've got for two minutes, then we'll switch shifts.

"This equipment was built to move water, but if we can get the pump moving fast enough--and if there are no significant leaks--then we should find that air flows through it equally well."

The team of men worked into a rapid rhythm as Moore looked over to see Katie and the priest. "Miss Wright, I didn't think that I'd see you on deck for the rest of the day! Are you sure that you're well enough to be on your feet?

Moore then said to Father Rucker, "We could use your help. Would you be able to man the pump for a shift? Or, if you are willing, someone must descend below to ensure that the other end of this hose is positioned in the refrigerated compartment and that the air is flowing through."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I can manage," says Katie. "I'm quite resilient. I'm not ready to go back down into the hold in my current state, but I can help work the pump. I'm stronger than most men."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Refrigerated Hold - off Tweendeck Hold #4
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind reacts on the voice of Starkweather rushing towards him 'Greene! grab Dougs feet ill help Starkweather with dougs arms' 'coommon! let get Doug up the ladder!'
"I am very glad..." exclaimed James Starkweather while coughing, "...to see you gentlemen!"

Doctor Greene had difficulty seeing through the haze within the reefer hold and through the wash of tears flowing from his irritated eyes, but he was able to move sideways past James Starkweather, stepping over the prone body to bend and grab its ankles. The team lifted the weight of Doug and shuffled through the reefer's entrance, then past the stowed aeroplane, finally reaching the ladder to the main deck.

Øyvind went up the ladder first, hooking one arm around the ladder rungs while circling Doug's chest with the other. Greene and Starkweather climbed together, alongside each other, supporting the weight of Doug's body on their shoulders. Rung by rung, they lifted and pushed and grappled and grunted until finally they emerged onto the main deck with their cargo. They all were coughing and rubbing their eyes as Doctor Greene began to examine Doug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Øyvind washes his face with wather grabs Starweathers cognac and drinks a mouthful, humidifies his handkerchief and goes down the hatch again 'the hose' 'i must place it in the right place!' and with that he is gone out of sight.
~Bony End of Story~
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I will help to pump
Paul Rucker replies. The priest leaves the hard task to those who can ... like one of the sailors.
ooc,Job, do not forget that Rucker still wants to speak to the sailor that wanted to reveal some secret to him.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Túrin Turambar »

James Poole returns to the scene of action and upon seeing what happens quickly offers to help pumping.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

U.S.S. Gabrielle Main Deck, near the hatch to Tweendeck Number Four
Mr. Handy wrote:"Yes, I can manage," says Katie. "I'm quite resilient. I'm not ready to go back down into the hold in my current state, but I can help work the pump. I'm stronger than most men."
"Very well, Miss Wright," responds Moore, "You've proven yourself more than capable and I am grateful for whatever assistance you are able to provide. If you are feeling light-headed or ill in any way, then perhaps you might instead get an update to the Captain and First Officer on the bridge? I could send a crewman to do this, but you're likely a better judge of the situation.
Túrin Turambar wrote:James Poole returns to the scene of action and upon seeing what happens quickly offers to help pumping.
royya wrote:I will help to pump
Paul Rucker replies. The priest leaves the hard task to those who can ... like one of the sailors.
"Thank you both," says Moore. "We have two shifts of crewmen lined up, so you'll be in the third.

"I could also use help coordinating the gathering of a few essential supplies for us here on deck. In all of the rush, I'm afraid that we have not yet had time to properly organize our response.

"We could use a tank of oxygen and mask from the medical suite, along with a surgical kit. Doctor Greene brought his general purpose kit with him, but he is preoccupied and we may need the disinfectants and implements. We also have need of rope and mechanic's tools from the bo'sun's storage off Tweendeck Hold number one."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Øyvind washes his face with wather grabs Starweathers cognac and drinks a mouthful, humidifies his handkerchief and goes down the hatch again 'the hose' 'i must place it in the right place!' and with that he is gone out of sight.
Øyvind arrives at the bottom of the ladder and, unfortunately, the pleasant aroma of Starkweather's alcoholic beverage that saturates his mask is quickly overpowered by the acrid ammonia gas; his suffering begins anew. Øyvind does his best to ignore the effects and immediately lifts and begins hauling the hose towards the entrance of the refrigerated hold.
Spoiler:
Please make five 1d100 rolls for the upcoming rounds of action for Øyvind.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

James Starkweather does not look well; in between fits of coughing, he rises from the deck, yanks the cloth from his face and runs to the ship's railing, vomiting over the side. When he finishes clearing his stomach, he reaches to rub the back of his head and pulls his hand away to find that it's smeared with blood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Then tank of oxygen and mask from the medical suite it is.
Paul Rucker says and hurry to bring the stuff
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm a little dizzy and naseous," says Katie, "and I'm probably the fastest runner here. I'll bring the update to the bridge and bring back a reply, and maybe then I'll get to work pumping."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”