IC - CH1 - Speakers Corner Redux

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: IC - CH1 - Speakers Corner Redux

Post by ghill »

Speakers Corner is quiet, cold and wet from the light drizzle which has been falling since first light. Greg, Clayton Jacob and Liz huddle for warmth beneath the cover of the coffee stand and compare yesterdays notes. All rub subconciously at the marks on their arms until someone points it out. A brief discussion about the last night's dream makes it clear they all had the same dream.

Liz and Clay had little success in Southwark, Rachel Musrati the pub landlady quoted in the article clearly wasn't a witness to the events, merely a harmless local quoted for a bit of added colour by the reporter who wrote the article. Nor was the site of the murders any better the as the old factory is now being converted into a block of upmarket flats and any evidence has now either been painted over or ripped out. On the plus side she had had emails from the newspaper and one of the reporters (the Evening Standard's) had emailed her back declining a meeting but asking what she wanted to know about the case, the reporter did add that the case was still open and no one had ever been arrested or convicted. Unfortunately, she'd recieved an out of office response from the Guardian's reporter.

Jacob and Greg had, had some small successes. The private investigator who sometimes works for the offices where Jacob works has agreed to talk to some of his police friends to see if he could shake up any more details on either case. Greg has managed to arrange a meeting with Dr Richard Ubani the pathologist at Guys Hospital in Southwark, which his contact believes is the most likely man to have done the job or will know who did.
OOC:,Guys feel free to add any detail you wish. Otherwise, I'm going to assume you guys agree to continue your ongoing research and arrange to meet back at Speakers Corner the following day.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

If rain will continue to pour I suggest shifting our meeting spot to somewhere else, a place where the American doctor can find rather quickly
Jacob suggest as he thinks about such a place.

Liz, do you think you can trace that sigil on the internet. It’s must be something with a religious meaning. I thought I was hallucinating and it faded quite quickly but you caught it with your camera ... I’m starting to believe god is sending us some signs.
I wish to consult the thing with some of the higher rabbis of the Cabala.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"I don't know about god sending us messages as much as his counterpart. I thought I might take the images I have around to some of the tatoo parlors I know around here and see if anyone recognizes the work." Clayton adds.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC: Clay,Where is Clay going to start with this? Doe she have tatoos and someone he can ask or is he going to start looking through the phone book for tatoo artists?
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Just so you all know," Greg says... "I took the liberty of checking in Athens for anything important going on, and I've checked with an astrologist to see if there were any abnormal planetary alignments that are congruent with all of the dates that we're working with, and came up empty. If this is a ritualistic thing as I believe it might be, it is probably not dealing with a cult that puts a good deal of weight in astrological situations. Not knowing much about the occult, I can't tell you if that's a good thing or bad thing... but it was just something I was going off of based on some horror movies I'd seen in the past."e horror movies I'd seen in the past."

He looked to those collected and asked "Do you mind if we try something totally off the wall? Considering we are dealing with a situation here that none of us are really familiar with, maybe we might do well with a brainstorming session. That is to say, we openly bring up whatever thought we have on the subject no matter how bizarre and far-fetched it may be." He looked around for a quiet moment, then said "For instance, I was wondering, what if these people who apparently cause these sigils to appear on the women know the results to be some sort of spontaneous combustion or something that has the side effects of looking like it. They then brainwash their victims into heading towards specific targets like mystical assassins." Greg blushed a bit after saying what he was thinking. "It seems ridiculous, I know... but what are the alternative options here? The girl managed to escape from her tormentors armed with the ability to force us into submission and amnesia, then subsequent 10-minute blackout and dehydration? She didn't seem like she was running from anything to me, but she definitely knew where she wanted to go apparently."

He looked around the table and asked, "Does anyone else have some thoughts on this different from my own?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

ooc clay,I assumed (maybe wrongly) that as part of a gang, I'd know a couple tattoo shops. If not, I'll hit the phone book.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Have you been reading my mind?" asks Liz. "That's just what I was thinking when I compared her to River Tam. Dunno if you've ever seen Firefly, but that's pretty much what she is, only she managed to escape." She grins at Jacob. "Kaballah, eh? Cool! I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it. I know enough that they don't want women to study it at all. Even for men, they say you shouldn't start to study it until you're forty - and you don't look forty. Sure, I can scour the Internet for pics resembling the one I snapped. There's prolly some website out there that lets you feed it an image and finds similar ones, or if needs be I might be able to write a program to do it, but that would take longer. I could also try just typing a description of it into a regular search engine that uses text. I'll never forget what it looks like. These symbols must originate from somewhere. It doesn't seem likely that they're made from whole cloth. While I'm at it, I can email the reporter from the Evening Standard back and get some details on that case, such as if the police figured out anything about the source of the tattoos, the cause of the burns, or the cause of death, and also if they ever looked into anyone as a suspect."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC: Right on the basis neither Liz's image search or Clays tattoo search are going to take some time to bear fruit I'm going to move events on.

Clay: Talking to a friendly tattoist and trawling the phone books/visit tattooists see if they recognise the icon in Liz's photo.
Liz: chasing up similar imagery to the icon which everyone was marked with. Email the reporter from the Evening Standard back and get some more details on the case.
Greg: Greg go to his dinner appointment with the Pathologist.
Jacob: Talking to the Rabbi's about the symbol.
OOC:Clay,Tattoos among street gangs in certain inner London aren't really a big thing (not like the US tsreet gangs), among the older criminal gangs yes definitely. This isn't supposed to be a barrier to the search I just want to know where Clays starting from? I'm happy for him to have tats and know someone to ask, or go through the phone book, both ways will advantages and or disadvantages.
OOC: Library Use a reminder,Don't forget when the results of a search are largely inconclusive this doesn't mean there isn't anything to find, it may mean you simply haven't spent enough time doing research to earn a [b]Library use[/b] roll.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

"If you guys think it's worth while, I did find a website for a group that specializes in occult symbology. They called themselves the Symbol & Ritual Intelligence website. I could check with them and see if they have any information, but I think they share what they know at a cost," Greg says to the others.
ooc,For an idea of what I'm talking about, go to http://www.symbolintelligence.com/
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

ooc Clay,Lets go with that Clay has a couple tats, so knows at least one tattoo artist. My line of questioning would be along the lines of "Do you recognize this type of art", "do you know who might do any work similar to this", "If not, who might know?" while showing both the sketch and the picture Liz took. If you want to speed things up with that, or play it out, your call.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

I will have to speak to my Rabbi and talk about the religion - occult connection.
Jacob adds. He looks troubled, like not wanting the search to bring up anything that do not have a reasonable explanation.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds like a plan," says Liz. "I hope we can find some answers soon. The freaky dreams were interesting the first couple of times, but I'd rather not have them every night, thank you very much. Although if they do continue, they may at least give us more clues. Oh, and I can also ask the reporter who was interviewed for the article, and the names of the investigating detectives."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Girl With Fire in Her Eyes”