Page 1 of 1

Chapter 3 : Lost boy : Torngasak

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:35 am
by DSIGFUSS
Torngasak screamed in terror as the two heavy set Norseman pinned him to the ground laughing.

Flýtir Norn. Hann engjast eins og a ormur.

A beautiful pale faced woman slowly approaches the young Thule boy with a long slender dagger held loosely in her hands.

Nú yndi barn. þú vilja segja mig hvar ÉG geta finna Fjall Odin.

The woman begins to carve onto Torngasak's forehead and the boy calls out in pain for his mother. It is unbearable and lasts for some time as all the Vikings around him laugh out loud.

When it is finished, the Viking witch places his hand over Torngasak's mouth and begins to chant. When she is finshed she slaps the boy on the mouth. Torngasak is surprised that he can now understand what the woman is saying.

Where is Mount Odin boy?

Torngasak has no idea what the witch is talking about but as the witch describes the place it becomes more and more familiar to him. She speaks of Mount Qalinuktatuk. He has been there many times before with his father who now lies dead on the snowy village ground. He finds it odd that as he tells the witch what she wants to know, he does so in her own Tongue... in the Norse tongue.

Satisfied... The witch smiles and turns her back on the boy. The horn faced Viking that held him pulls his axe from his side and raises it high for the killing blow.

I will enjoy this welp!

The witch stays his hand with an evil glare.

Let the boy live! He has served us well. Leave him for the wolves!

The Viking protests..

But Gelga! Why not kill them all!

The witch smiles.

This is a worser fate Virga. May the bodies of his friends and family warm him this night.

With that the Vikings quickly saddle their giant black beasts and ride north. Torngasak is left crying in the snow, his forehead bleeding into his eyes, the sting of the fresh wound burning his flesh. The young boy's village burns all around him... not a sound can be heard aside from his own whimpering.

Re: Chapter 3 : Lost boy : Torngasak

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:14 am
by Ignatius00
Torngasak finally pulls himself to his feet after almost an hour of immobility. The fires of the town ironically warm him enough to prevent his face, still bare in the cold white, from freezing stiff. He finds he is barely able to walk, the shock of the recent events weighing him down heavily. He cries out again for his mother as he begins shifting through the ashes of of his old home.

His hands reach up and touch the new markings carved on his head. They seem to have healed quickly in the climate he inhabits, the cold sealing his wounds. He traces the runes slowly, unable to recognize it as any letter or symbol he is familiar with. He continues sifting through the wreckage of his village for something useful.

(perhaps a spot hidden roll here, or a luck roll?)

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:10 am
by DSIGFUSS
Most of the village is burned to the ground. A few huts still stand untouched by the flames. The few huts that were still standing were used by the Vikings to ravage the Thule women thought to be up to Viking standards. Most of the furs and keepsakes were untouched in these structures as the pilaging was furthest from their mind.

Additionally, Thule weapons lay scattered all over the village. Torngasask has little difficulty finding whatever he needs.

ooc- Please go through the Inuit Equipment list to find whatever you want to carry. Here's the link.

http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtop ... f=74&t=873

ooc- roll Idea.

ooc- roll spot Hidden.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:05 pm
by Ignatius00
Torngasak rummages around for quite some time and manages to find a stone tipped spear, an ivory knife, and a bow with arrows in the shape of humans. He sat and began whittling the human arrows to give them distinct Nordic features, evening adding some yellow dye to the hair portion. He knew who he hunted. Just then...

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1685897/ (idea) (success, crit)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1685900/ (spot hidden) (fail)

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:03 am
by DSIGFUSS
Torngasask remembers that the Shaman's Hut has an underground storage space where she keeps her more valuable trading goods. She kept it hidden and not many of the Thule know where it is. Even if the Vikings burned down her hut, the storage space should still be intact.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:29 am
by Ignatius00
Torgasak searches the rubble for the shaman's house, finally finding it under the ash. As he thought, the storage space has not been disturbed, and tries the door.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:56 am
by DSIGFUSS
Torngasak opens the door to the Shaman's hut. The smell of old people fills the room. Gilla was her name and she was as venerable a Shaman as any of the Thule could remember. With morning just beginning to rise in the short days of winter, sunlight shone down into the crawl space. A wooden ladder interlaced with carved bone and ivory pieces continued into the darkness. Torngasak could not mistake what he saw on the top rung. A bright fresh smear of blood stained the polished ivory.

ooc- Listen

ooc - Spot Hidden

ooc - Luck

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:52 pm
by Ignatius00

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:17 am
by DSIGFUSS
Torngasak hears movement in the darkness. It sounds like frantic digging. In the failing sunlight, the Thule boy catches a glimpse of a leg amongst what looks to be the wreckage of a demolished hut.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:10 am
by Ignatius00

Torngasak descends cautiously and attempts to identify the person he has discovered a portion of. He looks for Thule features, being wary of the way the Norsemen appeared earlier. Torngasak tries to remain out of sight as he attempts to geta better view of the digging person.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:56 am
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- roll sneak

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:01 pm
by Ignatius00

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:20 am
by DSIGFUSS
Torngasak climbs down the ladder into the underground Shaman's hut. As he nears the bottom, the rung breaks sending the Thule boy tumbling into the wreckage of the hut. He lands at the feet of the corpse with an UNFFF!

An old woman... most likely the Shaman lied amongst the debris partially covered in furs and broken makeshift furniture. Torngasak spots the bone beads threaded in between her toes and the bottom of her feet were scarred black. It was unmistakeable... Torngasak had heard the Shaman's dye their feet black to better travel the spirit world... whatever that meant.

The digging suddenly stopped and and the voice of an old woman wimpered through the debris and the darkness. It sounded frightened and sad, crying and shivering as it whispered.

Who... sniff... is there!

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 am
by Ignatius00

"It is I, Torngasak. I thought I was the only one who survived that horrid invasion. Who might you be?"

Torn walks closer to get a better look, cautiously watching his footfalls.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:54 am
by DSIGFUSS
The Thule boy hears rummaging as the voice circles the edge of the Shaman' s underground hut. I n a shakey aging voice she answers as she moves....

Torngasak... Hmmmmm! Oh Yes. She has mentioned you before. I'm a friend of Kunwaktok's... She let's me come and warm myself by her fire from time to time....

Torngasak has never said more than three words to the Shaman Kunwaktok. She was a recluse and only left her hut for ceremonial reasons. Now Kunwaktok was dead and most likely ravaged beneath a pile of her own possessions.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:59 pm
by Ignatius00

Torn moves closer to the old woman for a better look and addresses her.

"I seek revenge for what has happened here. Perhaps you can aid me. If you were friends with the Shaman, maybe you know something about the rune recently carved on my head, or have something I can use to find our attackers. Also, when you're finished here, I'd like to have your help burying our dead."

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:39 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Torngasak moves in closer but it is still too dark for him to see. The old woman's voice continues.

Oh I'm afraid I can't help you with that boy! Though not for lack of wanting! I have long ago lost the strength for such things!

The voice is still now and seems to coming from behind a woodpile stacked near the back wall of the hut.

As for the rune... Come closer boy and let an old soul take a better lookat you. These eyes are not what they used to be.

ooc-roll spot hidden.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:30 pm
by Ignatius00

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:02 am
by DSIGFUSS
Torngasak moves in closer to the woodpile and as he moves to look around it, he spots something on the ground protruding from behind the woodpile. The darkness is still fairly thick in the Shaman's hut, but what little light that shines through seems to catch it nicely. The tip of a short furry white tail shines in the failing light.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:13 am
by Ignatius00
Torngasak repulses slightly at the sight, but is taken more with the curiosity of his young years and investigates, drawing nearer to the illuminated appendage.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:50 am
by DSIGFUSS
Torngasak gets closer and closer to the woodpile. His heart races but curiosity get the better of him. He is about to bend over and llook behind the woodpile when he finds himself face to face with a white arctic fox. The fox had moved quickly and now balanced nimbly atop the precariously stacked firewood so she could get a better look at Torngasak.

The white fox grins wickedly... or so it seems and licks Torngasak's forehead. His eyes burn red like blood.

Salutations Young Thule!

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:47 am
by Ignatius00

Torngasak stumbles back, surprised first by the fox's strange behavior, and finally by its speech. He responds, not knowing what else to do.

"Hello... sir..."

Slowly, he begins to piece together the events that had transpired.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:10 am
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- Sanity check 1/1d6

Sir? Oh heavens... have I aged so poorly! I am surely not a sir boy!

ooc- In my game I usually like to say that a sanity check also tells how your character might react to a mythos related event. A passed check means you can act how you like.. A failed check means you don't deal with it very well. How you don't deal with it is still up to you. :evil:

The Fox nimbly jumps down off the wood pile and and sniffs the Shaman's dead feet. She sighs..

Hmmmmmm. Pity! Now come here in the light so I can properly see this rune that witch carved on your pretty little forehead. Such wonderful skin! Soft like a lemming's back.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:04 pm
by Ignatius00

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1703685/ Success

Torngasak, shakes his head and realizes that this may all be a dream, or perhaps he is dead and this is the afterlife...

Either way, he does his best to take this in stride.

"Sorry, ma'am. You surprised me is all. Yes, please help me understand this."

He leans in to allow the red eyed fox-lady a better look.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:06 pm
by DSIGFUSS

The White Fox takes a closer look at Torngasak's mark.

This is a rune! I have seen these before! That pale skinned witch must have given this to you for some dark purpose. She killed Shaman Kunwaktok after her henchmen had their way with her. It was all I could do but hide and hope I wasn't discovered. It was aweful.... I long ago lost the ability to change my shape. If I had settled on a polar bear, then perhaps I could have helped but...

The Fox sighs...

No matter! You are here now and I will do my best to help you. I am Kadzit! An Elder Ijiraat. Have you heard of us boy?

ooc- roll Inuit Mythos.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:55 pm
by Ignatius00

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1704176/ Fail

"No I haven't, but I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Such a shame about the Shaman, though. I should could use her help right now..."

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - The only thing you can remember about the Ijiraat is that they can turn into arctic animals. You can tell them by their red eyes.

Kadzit continues...

I recognize this rune boy... Don't know what it means.. but I've seen it before... in the mountains. There are temples... built long ago... Before the Thule ever came. There are runes everywhere. The Ijiraat have lived there for centuries.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:02 am
by Ignatius00
"Hmm. Come with me, elder. I need your help to find those who attacked this village. I won't be a pawn in their game, and so help me I will have revenge for my family."

Torngasak stands upright and scans the basement for any useful or important items.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:28 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The Shaman's underground hut is far too demolished to find anything of any use. Kadzit has trouble negotiating the ladder. Her paw is injured enough that her tired old bones can't make it up. The Fox is light though and Torngasak has no difficulty lifting the Ijiraat out of the hole. Once topside, surrounded by the lifeless corpses of his friends and family, Torngasak hears the sounds of battle. Of metal on ivory. Coming from the Weasel River.

ooc- This particular Thule village is a Fishing village on the edge of the Weasel River. Just recently the river had unexpectedly thawed and began to flow into the mountains. (Very strange)

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:56 pm
by Ignatius00
Torngasak heads in the direction of the Weasel River, being cautious to remain out of sight on any who would do him harm, yet still having a physical glimpse of those fighting.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:11 pm
by DSIGFUSS
As Torngasak and Kadzit prowl their way to the river... the Thule boy has to step over many of his dead kinsmen and kinswomen. The Fox seems unnaffected by all the grim and the gore and stays close to Torngasak, panting nervously. The strange pair soon reach the clearing at the edge of the Thule village and look out across the Weasel river.

On the other side of the river, Torgasak sees two armoured Vikings on Icelandic mares in a savage battle with two Inuit men. ( How the boy knows they are from Iceland is beyond him) From the look of their furs and markings, Torgasak sees that the Inuit are Dorset; allies of the Thule to the north. One of the Dorset Hunters knocks his opponent off his horse and then runs him through with what appears to be a Viking Blade. The other Dorset Hunter seems to be having more difficulty with his own Viking and spins and circles the horse with the grace and fluidity of a true hunter.

ooc- In the Summer, before the Weasel River freezes, Torngasak knows that the river is less than a foot deep outside the Thule FIshing village.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:26 am
by Ignatius00
Tornagasak moves in closer (ooc simple action) and readies his bow and a human carved arrow, aiming it at the Norseman still mounted on his horse.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:51 am
by DSIGFUSS
Fire...

roll 1d100.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:33 am
by Ignatius00
(ooc- the website is down, i used a different site, result was a 13)

Hit :)

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:37 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- Yeah I know... BS! If you can.. please log onto darkandmoodyforums.com and log your rolls until invisible castle is back up and running.

Torgasak watches as the Dorset hunter turns his attention to the Viking's horse. He slahses at its legs and the horse rears up on it's back legs. Then as the Viking ganins control of his steed, Torngasak's lets loose his arrow. The arrow flies swiftly to it's target and slices through the Viking's armour like sharp bone through blubber. The Viking falls of his horse and lays still in the snow.

Then the two Dorset Hunters turn and look at Torngasak and Kadzit from across the Weasel Riover. The Fox shivers and hides behind Torngasak's legs.

Who are they! Will they kill us child?

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:40 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Just then, To Tornagsak's surprise, one of the Dorset Hunters crosses the river.

He runs up to Torngasak,

"That was really great shooting! Whoever taught you to use a bow must have been a great hunter."

Once at the village, The Dorset Hunter looks around and then asks the boy in a lower tone,

"Say, what's your name? Have you seen anyone else that's... well... alive?"

A lump rose in his throat and he fought hard to settle it.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:56 pm
by Ignatius00
"My name is Torngasak, and I am the son of a Thule. What can you tell me about these Norsemen you were fighting?"

Torngasak easily shakes off the feelings of battle, having dismissed the Norsemen as animals a good while back.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 am
by DSIGFUSS
Please go to Chapter 3 : Warming up : Tornuaq and Qannaq.