Chapter 3 : Lost boy : Torngasak

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Chapter 3 : Lost boy : Torngasak

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Torngasak screamed in terror as the two heavy set Norseman pinned him to the ground laughing.

Flýtir Norn. Hann engjast eins og a ormur.

A beautiful pale faced woman slowly approaches the young Thule boy with a long slender dagger held loosely in her hands.

Nú yndi barn. þú vilja segja mig hvar ÉG geta finna Fjall Odin.

The woman begins to carve onto Torngasak's forehead and the boy calls out in pain for his mother. It is unbearable and lasts for some time as all the Vikings around him laugh out loud.

When it is finished, the Viking witch places his hand over Torngasak's mouth and begins to chant. When she is finshed she slaps the boy on the mouth. Torngasak is surprised that he can now understand what the woman is saying.

Where is Mount Odin boy?

Torngasak has no idea what the witch is talking about but as the witch describes the place it becomes more and more familiar to him. She speaks of Mount Qalinuktatuk. He has been there many times before with his father who now lies dead on the snowy village ground. He finds it odd that as he tells the witch what she wants to know, he does so in her own Tongue... in the Norse tongue.

Satisfied... The witch smiles and turns her back on the boy. The horn faced Viking that held him pulls his axe from his side and raises it high for the killing blow.

I will enjoy this welp!

The witch stays his hand with an evil glare.

Let the boy live! He has served us well. Leave him for the wolves!

The Viking protests..

But Gelga! Why not kill them all!

The witch smiles.

This is a worser fate Virga. May the bodies of his friends and family warm him this night.

With that the Vikings quickly saddle their giant black beasts and ride north. Torngasak is left crying in the snow, his forehead bleeding into his eyes, the sting of the fresh wound burning his flesh. The young boy's village burns all around him... not a sound can be heard aside from his own whimpering.
Ignatius00
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Chapter 3 : Lost boy : Torngasak

Post by Ignatius00 »

Torngasak finally pulls himself to his feet after almost an hour of immobility. The fires of the town ironically warm him enough to prevent his face, still bare in the cold white, from freezing stiff. He finds he is barely able to walk, the shock of the recent events weighing him down heavily. He cries out again for his mother as he begins shifting through the ashes of of his old home.

His hands reach up and touch the new markings carved on his head. They seem to have healed quickly in the climate he inhabits, the cold sealing his wounds. He traces the runes slowly, unable to recognize it as any letter or symbol he is familiar with. He continues sifting through the wreckage of his village for something useful.

(perhaps a spot hidden roll here, or a luck roll?)
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Most of the village is burned to the ground. A few huts still stand untouched by the flames. The few huts that were still standing were used by the Vikings to ravage the Thule women thought to be up to Viking standards. Most of the furs and keepsakes were untouched in these structures as the pilaging was furthest from their mind.

Additionally, Thule weapons lay scattered all over the village. Torngasask has little difficulty finding whatever he needs.

ooc- Please go through the Inuit Equipment list to find whatever you want to carry. Here's the link.

http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtop ... f=74&t=873

ooc- roll Idea.

ooc- roll spot Hidden.
Ignatius00
Layman
Layman

Post by Ignatius00 »

Torngasak rummages around for quite some time and manages to find a stone tipped spear, an ivory knife, and a bow with arrows in the shape of humans. He sat and began whittling the human arrows to give them distinct Nordic features, evening adding some yellow dye to the hair portion. He knew who he hunted. Just then...

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1685897/ (idea) (success, crit)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1685900/ (spot hidden) (fail)
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Torngasask remembers that the Shaman's Hut has an underground storage space where she keeps her more valuable trading goods. She kept it hidden and not many of the Thule know where it is. Even if the Vikings burned down her hut, the storage space should still be intact.
Ignatius00
Layman
Layman

Post by Ignatius00 »

Torgasak searches the rubble for the shaman's house, finally finding it under the ash. As he thought, the storage space has not been disturbed, and tries the door.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Torngasak opens the door to the Shaman's hut. The smell of old people fills the room. Gilla was her name and she was as venerable a Shaman as any of the Thule could remember. With morning just beginning to rise in the short days of winter, sunlight shone down into the crawl space. A wooden ladder interlaced with carved bone and ivory pieces continued into the darkness. Torngasak could not mistake what he saw on the top rung. A bright fresh smear of blood stained the polished ivory.

ooc- Listen

ooc - Spot Hidden

ooc - Luck
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Torngasak hears movement in the darkness. It sounds like frantic digging. In the failing sunlight, the Thule boy catches a glimpse of a leg amongst what looks to be the wreckage of a demolished hut.
Ignatius00
Layman
Layman

Post by Ignatius00 »

Torngasak descends cautiously and attempts to identify the person he has discovered a portion of. He looks for Thule features, being wary of the way the Norsemen appeared earlier. Torngasak tries to remain out of sight as he attempts to geta better view of the digging person.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc- roll sneak
Ignatius00
Layman
Layman

Post by Ignatius00 »

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Torngasak climbs down the ladder into the underground Shaman's hut. As he nears the bottom, the rung breaks sending the Thule boy tumbling into the wreckage of the hut. He lands at the feet of the corpse with an UNFFF!

An old woman... most likely the Shaman lied amongst the debris partially covered in furs and broken makeshift furniture. Torngasak spots the bone beads threaded in between her toes and the bottom of her feet were scarred black. It was unmistakeable... Torngasak had heard the Shaman's dye their feet black to better travel the spirit world... whatever that meant.

The digging suddenly stopped and and the voice of an old woman wimpered through the debris and the darkness. It sounded frightened and sad, crying and shivering as it whispered.

Who... sniff... is there!
Ignatius00
Layman
Layman

Post by Ignatius00 »

"It is I, Torngasak. I thought I was the only one who survived that horrid invasion. Who might you be?"

Torn walks closer to get a better look, cautiously watching his footfalls.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Thule boy hears rummaging as the voice circles the edge of the Shaman' s underground hut. I n a shakey aging voice she answers as she moves....

Torngasak... Hmmmmm! Oh Yes. She has mentioned you before. I'm a friend of Kunwaktok's... She let's me come and warm myself by her fire from time to time....

Torngasak has never said more than three words to the Shaman Kunwaktok. She was a recluse and only left her hut for ceremonial reasons. Now Kunwaktok was dead and most likely ravaged beneath a pile of her own possessions.
Ignatius00
Layman
Layman

Post by Ignatius00 »

Torn moves closer to the old woman for a better look and addresses her.

"I seek revenge for what has happened here. Perhaps you can aid me. If you were friends with the Shaman, maybe you know something about the rune recently carved on my head, or have something I can use to find our attackers. Also, when you're finished here, I'd like to have your help burying our dead."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Torngasak moves in closer but it is still too dark for him to see. The old woman's voice continues.

Oh I'm afraid I can't help you with that boy! Though not for lack of wanting! I have long ago lost the strength for such things!

The voice is still now and seems to coming from behind a woodpile stacked near the back wall of the hut.

As for the rune... Come closer boy and let an old soul take a better lookat you. These eyes are not what they used to be.

ooc-roll spot hidden.
Ignatius00
Layman
Layman

Post by Ignatius00 »

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Torngasak moves in closer to the woodpile and as he moves to look around it, he spots something on the ground protruding from behind the woodpile. The darkness is still fairly thick in the Shaman's hut, but what little light that shines through seems to catch it nicely. The tip of a short furry white tail shines in the failing light.
Ignatius00
Layman
Layman

Post by Ignatius00 »

Torngasak repulses slightly at the sight, but is taken more with the curiosity of his young years and investigates, drawing nearer to the illuminated appendage.

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”