Chapter 3: Fallen Friends : Ingvar, Gaeirmund, Gudrun

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3: Fallen Friends : Ingvar, Logain, Skald, Gudrun

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Oddlog grunts and smiles devilishly at Gudrun as Ingvar goads him into a fight. Normally, it would have taken less to raise Oddlog’s blood but the Viking’s blood still dripped down his shoulder where he was pierced by a Skraeling spear.

When Ingvar suggests that Broddi needed the horse for travel, Melkorka hisses and Oddlog sighs with relief.

Very well Viking. The crew of the Grendel and the misdeeds of their witch Gelga will wait if it must. You are, after all, one of the chosen. I will trust that what you say could possssssibly be true to our destinies here on Helluland.

The Vikings then set to ferry their dead out to sea. The small makeshift raft acting as funeral pyre to Olaf Brigfundson floats out a few hundred feet as the Vikings pay their respects.

Everyone watches as the raft suddenly stops… A large smooth black form, mottled with patches of white grabs hold of the raft from the sea and drags it down. The Orca whale splashes about as it bites and pulls the dead Viking free of any bindings that held him to the raft. Then, once satisfied the raft would sink, the Orca slowly submerges itself back into the water, its tall bent dorsal fin sliding gracefully below the surface as it swims away from Olaf’s funeral pyre.

Melkorka cackles…

The waters are bubbling with life today… keep your feet dry boys.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!
She Devil
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by She Devil »

"What beasts are these!" Gudrun shouts, wide eyed at the large mammal that had just eaten the viking whole. He quietly shakes his head, then turns to trudge after the group.

He watches the raft bob in the surf and has a look of genuine dismay on his face.
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

"By the gods!!!"

Ingvar watches in amazment as the beast drags the viking to the depths.
He rubs his head trying hard to remember something, not sure what, but the fell beast triggers some unpleasant memory.

"WELL BOYS, NO SENSE KEEPING GRENDEL WAITING!!!" He hoofs it away from the shoreline faster than dignity allows.
"C'mon Broddi, on the horse!", he says heaving him up like a bag of meat, "There's a good fellow!!"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The group of Vikings travels north west along the shoreline, now keeping their distance from the water for fear of stirring the strange red eyed demons lurking below. After a short time the sun sets once again. It seems as though the sun only provides four or five hours of daylight here in this arctic wasteland.. The cold wind bites at their beards and tires their bones but the The Vikings are used to it. They stop after a few hours and Melkorka removes a rune covered stone painted red from her pouch. She tosses it onto a small pile of driftwood and the wood quicly catches fire.

Warm yourselves. We will rest. I must prepare a salve or you fools will never reach the Grendel alive. The witch begins to empty vials and herbs into a leather sac and grinds them with mortar and pestle.

Tristan sits down next to the fire. He pulls out some dried meat he had taken from the Skraelings and passes some to Gaeirmund.

He then unrolls a map of Helluland and points to a marked location on its shore.

This map was plotted briefly by a man aboard Eric the Red's ship as it sailed to Vinland. Not much to go on but if the cartogropher was mindful, we should reach the Grendel before next daylight if we keep moving through the night. I don't know what these creatures in the water intend or even if they show sign of intelligence but we should keep our distance from the shore. Quite frankly... I'm having difficulty remembering what the creature looked like cept for the red in its eyes.

ooc - Logain Spot Hidden check

ooc- Gaeirmund Listen check

Melkorka cackles as she listens to the Vikings conversation, busyingherself with her witchwork.

Oddlog sits close to Gudrun and Ingvar.

His eyes turn from Gudrun and then back to Ingvar several times before he shakes his head.

I cannot think clearly enough to decide which of you two goat herding ass tumblers I hate more... No matter... I can hate enough for the two of you!

Oddlog grabs some seal meat out of Ingvar's hand.. takes a big bite and passes it to Gudrun smiling.

The other bowman nudges Gudrun for some meat. Gudrun had met him previously on the Icebreaker. They had pracised shooting gulls with Tristan. His name was Keldrin.

Ignore him! Them Beserkers are all the same... Can't think past his own bloodlust to sort his manners out. He's goading you!

Oddlog smiles again.

Keep quiet Goat stain... I've an axe for you two!
She Devil
Initiate
Initiate

Post by She Devil »

Gudrun takes a big bite of seal meat and chews silently. He stares at Oddlog, meeting his gaze with an intense one of his own. He passes the meat to Keldrin and sighs. "You are tiresome to talk to! What with your constant insolense...I've half a mind to...." He puts a reassuring hand on his sword, then shakes his head.

"I'm regretting staying around you filthy pigs already! Except for you, Keldrin. Anyone who can shoot a gull that far from the boat is alright in my books."

He picks his teeth and eyes the group warily. "It's strange that none of us can remember what those beasts looked like. Tell us witch! This must be magic! Or did you bring a curse upon us!"
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Gaeirmund is used to hearing his fellow warriors argue. He accepts Tristan's meat and chews it slowly, hunched over against the wind, thinking about all the looting and pillaging he has done and all the looting and pillaging he hopes to do.

This bores him soon, so he joins in the shouting.

"By all the drunken brawling in Valhalla-what did those monsters look like? Something clouds my mind! And We haven't even started drinking yet!"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Melkorka grins and approaches Gaeirmund placing a clammy hand on his shoulder.

This land's gods have many secrets... Much like our own. These red eyed devils have a curse around them; one that clouds your thoughts and masks your memories. Ingvar, chosen one of our people, fought the alpha devil. It would have killed him had he not fled.
Oddlog laughs out loud.

That I remember!

Melkorka cackles and moves to stand behind Ingvar. The witch places both hands on the Viking's shoulders and gently carresses his hair cooing like some sick bird.

His name was Kor-Gamon.. I scrawled his name on a rune shortly after. It helps you remember the foul creatures.

As the witch says the name of the devil, the memory returns to all who hear it. They remember the gulls landing on the deck of the Icebreaker before turning into ferocious white bears and killing as they pleased. Melkorka continues and moves again to Gudrun. She touches his neck, dragging a long black nail over her shoulder. She quickly recoils and throws Gudrun a quizical look.

Intersting... There was a glow in the water. I could see it from the dragon boat as you all swam for your lives. Some power beneath the sea guided their actions. I could hear her whispers in the waves...

Then Oddlog suddenly stands smiling.

Hildegarr? My friend! You're alive! Damn the gods you old dirty bastard!

Just on the edge of the fire's light Hildegarr stands motionless, blood still dripping from an open head wound wraping half way around his balding head. All the Vikings saw him impaled through his shoulder by a charging Narwhale before disappearing below the water. Hildegarr was one of the most ruthless men on the Icebreaker and had befriended Oddlog immediately. The two were a gruesome pair and bullied anyone they chose. Hildgegarr looks as though he's in a daze, staring blankly into the fire. He grunts unable to find words...

Unnnnnnngh!

Tristan stands.

Hildegarr... you're head! Someone help him!
She Devil
Initiate
Initiate

Post by She Devil »

Gudrun jumps to his feet and runs over to Hildegarr, putting an arm round his waist to support him and flinging his good arm over his shoulders. He walks slowly back to the campfire with him in tow. It would be good to get into the good books with these two, however impossible it seemed.

Gudrun let Hildegarr sit in his perch at the fire, and took a quick inspection of his wound. He ripped a sleeve of his tunic to wrap around his head. "Witch! Melkorka! Can you help him! He's bleeding badly!"

Gudrun stepped back from the witch and watched as she moved over Hildegarr, looking at her suspiciously. He didn't like the look she gave him last time. Old bag....keep your hands to yourself!
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

Ingvar springs to his feet, axe in hand.

"What devilry is this? Hildegarr !!! I saw you DROWN !!!!" "HOW DID YOU FIND US??" Ingvar's eye's dart madly with fear.
"This is not our comrade, men! Hildegar is dead. It is a demon from the depths sent to trick us. He will drag us to the underworld!!!"

Ingvar starts backing away slowly, eyes staring at the abomination and clutching his father's axe.
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Gaeirmund looks at Melkorka. He might not trust her completely, but he is sure she is the only one who could really know if Hildegarr was being impersonated by a demon or not.

"If he was a demon, would his eyes be red like those of the sea-beasts?"

He picks his warhammer up from where it was resting on the ground, but does not make any threatening moves. He also takes a small leather flask from his belt and tosses it to Gudrun.

"Some strong mead might revive the man, if he is a man."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Hildegarr stares blankly at the fire as Gundrun consoles him. Oddlog steps forward and offers Hildegarr his skin of ale. Hildegarr takes it and begins to drink. The ale pours down his throat and Hildegarr shows little to no emotion as he drains the skin. Melkorka steps back and hisses like a caged animal. She moves behind her chosen one Oddlog and cowers.

He's dead!

Oddlog shoves the old witch aside.

You'd be thirsty too you old cow if you'd walked all this way with those wounds!

Melkorka cackles out a laugh and moves to Ingvar's side, caresssing the sheath of his scramasax.

Then Gudrun gets a good look at the Viking in the firelight as he lays his hands on him. There is a tear in his shoulder a foot wide where the Narwhale had scewered him and his left arm hangs a few inches lower than it should. His head is more wounded than he thought as well; small patches of brain and fragmented skull poke through the top of Hildegarr's head.

Then from the east, a second Viking approaches the fire and stops just 15 feet behind the Viking's crowded circle. None recognize the oarsman as his face is riddled in teeth and claw marks. A third Viking walks a few paces behind and stops as well.

oc Spot Hidden.( everyone)
She Devil
Initiate
Initiate

Post by She Devil »

OC Ick, spot hidden 40, rolled 72

Gudrun stares at the brain matter poking out of Hildegarr's head and tries not to barf up the whale he'd just eaten. Whichever way though, it wasn't sitting well.

"Tell us what you remember Hildegarr! It must be an entertaining story!" He eyes him warily. He knew these words would only wind up annoying him.
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

spot hidden (1d100=20)

Ingvar recoils in horror at the zombies. "By the gods! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!"

He grabs a burning log from the fire and waves it around like a torch. "BACK!! STAY BACK FOUL CORPSES!!" He holds his axe with the other hand and tries to look threatening, but he's too terrified to attack.

"Oddlog... kill it! KILL IT!!!!"
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Gaeirmund keeps calm, and is able to noticewhat Gudrun does not.

"Ingvar, stop waving the fire around. We've all seen corpses before. I know I've made a few. Do you think they all want something to drink?"

Despite his attempts at humor, though, he prepares to fight with his hammer and his shield.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Gudrun fails to notice the disfigured Vikings slowly creeping in from behind him. The light of the fire and his preoccupation with Hildegarr, blinds him to the incoming terror.

Both Ingvar and Gaeirmund, however, see the approaching army, twitching and creaking as the ice forms and crumbles in the cold on their sea soaked tattered clothes. There must be 40 or 50 of them. The unsurvivors of the Icebreaker. The dismembered Viking horde stops just shy of the fire light and jerks sporatically with an unbalance saved solely for the undead and the drunk. When they look closely and take in the full horror of it, they seems almost to be forming ranks.

Hildegarr, oblivious to the approaching horde, continues to guzzle the ale before turning to glare at Gudrun. The sound of his neck moving sends shivers down Gudrun's spine as it pops and reinserts itself several times before the motion is completed. He snarls and tries to speak through a mouth filled with blackened blood and dark water.

Odd.....laggle? Ooooooooooodd..... lgkgle....

ooc - Everyone roll Sanity checks 1/1d6+1. If you pass.. post away!
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

sanity check (1d100=84)
idea roll (1d100=69)

Ingvar twitches at the sight of Viking army. Fortunately his neanderthalic brain cannot comprehend the metaphysical implications.

"Are.. are... you here to kill us Hildegarr?"
She Devil
Initiate
Initiate

Post by She Devil »

OC Failed sanity roll, (66) rolled 86
sanity lost 2, current sanity 64

Gudrun stares, horrified, and then begins to swing his sword wildly at the creatures. His eyes take on the maddened, desperate look of a man in his last hour.

"Get back! Stop right there!"
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Gaeirmund laughs with the full fatalism of the Norse.

"Ah, those would be our deaths, I'll wager. I''m not the best with numbers, but I don't need to be to subtract us few from all those and get a lot left over. Gudrun, if you'd stop shouting, they might not wnat to kill us. If they do, which I think they will, then lets make a stand for Valhalla like men."

He looks around to consider a possible escape route.

"But I wouldn't rule out running like dogs just yet."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Gudrun flails wildly and pushes away from Hildegar, but he is too panicked to connect solidly with the zombie. His skin is soft and one of Gudrun’s gloved fingers slides a few inches into the zombie’s chest cavity. He then finds himself moving backwards, towards the fire for safety.

Oddlog falls to his knees, madness clear in his eyes and begins to blubber incoherently at Hildegarr’s feet.

My friend… No! What have they done to you! Those fuckers! Demons! Goat layers! May they rot in Hel!

Hildegarr puts a hand on Oddlog’s face and groans. It’s hard not to wonder if the zombie is attempting to comfort his old friend but his face shows no emotion and he says nothing that might implicate him in such a thing.

Melkorka is now standing closest to Ingvar pressing herself up against his leg as the Viking axeman deals with his own internal turmoil. In all the confusion, the witch begins to slowly grind herself on Ingvar’s leg cooing like a dying chicken.

Then as the moon comes out from behind a dark cloud, illuminating the beach and all it’s monstrosities in tightly formed ranks, the Vikings notice the zombies begin to part as a lone figure moves with purpose through the opening. His movements are nothing like the slow clumsy motions of the Viking zombies. He moves more like a man.

The figure pushes forward through the zombie horde and is almost at the fire.

Out of me way yah rotten brainless bags of blood!

ooc- Gaeirmund looks for an escape route... The zombies have surrounded the south side of the fire but the north side is completely clear. It would be easy to escape to the north if you set your mind to it.
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Re: Chapter 3: Fallen Friends : Ingvar, Logain, Gaeirmun, Gudrun

Post by Basketvector »

"GET OFF ME YOU FOUL SKANK!!" Ingvar kicks the witch off his leg and charges for Oddlog, "You ugly motherfucker". He grabs his arm and throws it over his shoulder.

Gaeirmund!! Gundhar!!! GET YOUR WEE ASSES TO THE HILLS!!!"
He cleaves Hildegarr across the face hard then charges north dragging Oddlog behind.

attack hildegar (1d100=23)
Damage on hildegarr (1d10=9, 1d6=4)

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”