Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sigfurd, Orm and Weoulf quickly move into position as the Fenris Wolf drops Osvauld from his jaws. The Viking lieutenant falls to the ground and groans. The wolf puts his back to the cliff face and bears his teeth.

Come at me then Vikings and drink your fill! For the blood of the gods has been spilled this day and I plan on spilling much much more!

The Fenris wolf raises his head and howls at the sun and then takes a defensive stance, growling a low unnatural growl as he lowers his height and crouches; ready to spring.

Berger continues to gather treasure...

Fuck Osvauld... It's his own bloody fault. Stay with me Alrik... we'll be kings!

Berger's voice trails off as Alrik pursues his companions down the tunnel.

ooc- please roll Init 1d10 +DEX, strike (1d100), parry (if you have a shield or a spear) I'll roll damage until your items are properly identified.

Alrik. You will be missing the first round but if you are going to be casting a spell, please ready your components so I know what spell you are casting when you first enter the fray.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

Orm makes himself ready to strike against the giant wolf. It seems as the aesir smiles at him. The viking has never fought with a spear before, but the strike is might and true unless Fenrisulfr can avoid it?

OOC:Initiative, strike, parry (1d10=6, 1d100=1, 1d100=70)

Well, then rolled a total initiative of 20, rolled a 1 on my first strike with Gungnir which should be an impale and missed my parry. But who cares...
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Piano man »

With everyone's ears still packed with rags Alrik will sing a song that will calm the wolf.
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live
mikc
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by mikc »

OOC - Initiative, Axe, Parry (1d10, 1d100,1d100=[4], [39], [95]

Initiative = 21, Hit with axe, missed Parry
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Weolf brings his axe down hard on the wolf's hind leg and finds deep flesh. The Wolf seems distracted by Alrik's pesence and lashes out wildly at Weoulf with his front paws and a viscious looking bite. Weolf bats the paws aside with his shied and the Fenris wolf's massive jaws miss their mark completely. The Fenris Wolf smashes his head against Weoulf's shield and the Viking hears a loud snap as one of the wolf's front teeth cracks in half and falls to the snow.

Then Orm comes in with the mighty Gungnir and runs the creature through. The spear enters through the wolf's under belly as it raises itself for a second charge and comes clear out the monster's backside. The wolf howls like no sound the Vikings had ever heard before and takes a few steps back towards the edge of the cliff, limping as the spear impaled him.

ooc- Orm roll STRx5 to get your spear back.

ooc- Everyone make Listen checks (except Alrik)

ooc- Alrik. Make a sing check. (or equivalent)

Huffing and grunting with the spear still in his belly, the wolf stares right at Alrik and grins, coughing blood onto the snow.

Cough! Cough! A Bard in my house? Cough! My father will be most pleased to know you are here...
mikc
Keeper
Keeper

Post by mikc »

ooc- Weoulf makes his listen roll: Listen (61%) (1d100=38)
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Instead of pullling out the divine spear Orm tries to push it further into the belly of the gigantic wolf, perhaps it is possible to push the beast over the edge of the cliff?

OOC: Pushing the spear into the belly of the wolf. Strength check (1d100=85) That would be a failure.

Listen check (1d100=86) that would also be a failure.
mikc
Keeper
Keeper

Post by mikc »

Weoulf braces himself for a further attack then seems to pause in mid-action; he looks about him and cocks his head as if listening for something, then lowers his axe and stands, looking rather confused, a short distance away from the wolf.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

As Weoulf enters a state of non violence. The Fenris Wolf snaps at him with his powerful jaws. Sigfurd sees his friend in dire trouble and parries the beasts teeth with his new found silver shield.

Move Weoulf! Get in the fight or out of it!

Then the wolf hears Alrik's voice and seems tame for a brief moment. The Fenris Wolf stares blankly at the bard as Orm tries to thrust the mighty Gungnir deeper into his belly. This snaps the wolf out of his trance and he suddenly jerks away from Orm's reach with much more speed than the Fenris wolf had intended to use. Odin's spear loosens from Orm's grip and the Black Wolf and the spear go tumbling over the side of the cliff.

There is a sickening quiet as Alrik completes his spell.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik slaps Orm on the back. Nicely done man. He bends over to see if there is anything left of Osvauld worth saving.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm sits down his muscles aching. It seems that the mighty god Thor lent him his strength this day. "I do not think that we killed the wolf, but if anyone have earned their places in the halls of Valhalla today, we did" Orm states. It is not bragging, he is just stating the obvious.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Alrik sees that the Lieutenant's wounds are fatal. Osvauld's spine is severed and he bleeds freely on the snow. Still he shudders to Alrik's touch and awakens..
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

Osvauld gasps for breath and coughs up a bloody mess. His eyes come to focus on Alrik and he grins, showing his blood-stained teeth. "See if you can figure out a good tune for this tale, eh?" He takes another shuddering breath and manages to twist his head around enough to see the other Vikings. "Orm!" he calls out, and falls to coughing again.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"We will remember you as long as we live. Give Odin our greeting and tell him that we probably will join you soon. We will sing and drink about your bravery. To face Fenrisulfr by yourself. It is a feat of bravery that is worthy the Aesir themselves" Orm tells his friend.
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

Osvauld grips his friend's sleeve. "Take your time in joining me. There's still work to be done." He struggles to pull something free from his belt and pauses for a moment in pain. With a last burst of energy he manages to move his arm across his body and pushes a scroll into Orm's hand.

"Remember what the Captain said. Keep this far away from Melkorka, and do not use it unless you must.
But you are honor-bound to finish this task ... or die trying."
With that, Osvauld leans back and prepares to meet Odin.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik stands and begins to sing a death chant that will help guide Osvaulds spirit to Valhalla.

The fifth is Glathsheim, | and gold-bright there
Stands Valhalla stretching wide;
And there does Odin | each day choose
The men who have fallen in fight.
Easy is it to know | for him who to Odin
Comes and beholds the hall;
Its rafters are spears, | with shields is it roofed,
On its benches are breastplates strewn.
Easy is it to know | for him who to Odin
Comes and beholds the hall;
There hangs a wolf | by the western door,
And o'er it an eagle hovers.
Small heed didst thou take | to all that I told,
And false were the words of thy friends;
For now the sword | of my friend I see,
That waits all wet with blood.
Thy sword-pierced body | shall Ygg have soon,
For thy life is ended at last;
The maids are hostile; | now Odin behold!
Now come to me if thou canst!
mikc
Keeper
Keeper

Post by mikc »

Weoulf stands with head bowed, shamed by his earlier cowardice.

If we hadn't cowered in the vault, perhaps noble Osvauld would live to fight another day! There is indeed much unfinished business to attend to before I can look unflinching intoOsvauld's family's faces ... or my own in the mirror!
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm pockets the scroll. "We will succeed and if we survive to tell the tale I will raise a stone in your honour where everyone who can read the runes can witness the bravery of Osvauld."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

As Alrik completes his sweet lament to his fallen lieutenant, Osvauld breathes his last breath. His hand falls limp to the snow and his eyes glaze over as his life leaves him.

A horn blares from the north and all can hear the beating of wings through the night sky.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik looks to the sky, and backs his men up a little. It has to be the Valkyries coming to take Osvauld to Valhalla. Give them room. Alrik glances over at Orm. Right now it's about Osvauld, but you and I need to talk.

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”