Chapter 3 : Sedna's Comb : (Yuralria, Ogtuk-Luk, Unulaq )

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Chapter 3 : Sedna's Comb : (Yuralria, Ogtuk-Luk, Unulaq )

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The morning comes quickly to all those Dorset Hunters involved in the previous day’s excitement. Most awake to great aches and pains as the cuts and bruises delivered by the Ijiraat and the Vikings have just started to heal. The deep bite mark of an Ijiraat wolf on Yuralria’s neck and shoulder seems on the edge of infection. Unulaq’s wounded shoulder throbs with pain from his battle with the massive Viking invader and the Norse bowman. Ogtuk-Luk has seen better days; his leg slashed and torn by Ijiraat claws.

This is an important day for the Dorset people. In past years, the entire Dorset tribe would march to the inlet to ask for Sedna’s blessing in the great Cariboo Hunt. This year they had made arrangements with the Thule Inuit to increase their hunting grounds but with the threat of the Vikings loom over the Dorset People, the hunt itself is in jeopardy. The Shaman’s dive into the ocean will continue as planned as the Dorset Elder’s believe they need guidance from their godess now more than ever.

Thorrin wakes peacefully with Unulaq and smiles. After Yuralria’s healing, the Viking seems better off then most of the other Dorset Hunters. He slicks back his long Viking hair from his face and rises from the furs Unulaq had given him to sleep on.

Góðan dag Unulaq!

Yuralria and Ogtuk-luk rise separately from their deep slumbers to start their big day.

ooc – Yuralria, Ogtuk-luk, and Unulaq… briefly describe your morning please.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Chapter 2 : Sedna's Comb : (Yuralria, Ogtuk-Luk, Unulaq)

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq opened his eyes as heard the rustle of the furs nearby while the Viking awoke and rose for the day.

Góðan dag Unulaq!

He turned his head to face Thorrin and then back to the ceiling of his hut and put his hand over his eyes. He had thought for a fleeting moment that everything that had happened the two days before was just a dream. "Good morning to you, Thorrin," he responded as he wiped the sleep from his eyes. He rolled over to hoist himself up with his bad arm and immediately thought better of it from the shooting pain it caused as he took a deep inhaled breath. He sat up in his bed and exposed his wound to see how it fared... for it didn't feel much better than the day before. The bandages would need changing anyway.

As he rummaged through his belongings for some rags he could use to bandage the wound again, he said to his company, "Do not worry... we will find you something to eat soon enough." Observing the questioning look on the Viking's face, he lifted his hand to his mouth and said "Eat."
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

Yuralria awoke with a yawn to Alornerk making small yipping sounds and moving her paws gently. She was chasing some random beast in her dreams, and Yuralria smiled at the sight of it so early in the morning. "Are there not enough foes in real life, Alornerk?" she said with a smile, patting her gently while the dog slept. Alornerk awoke with a jump and grinned at her happily.

She rubbed her eyes, and for the first time her thoughts wandered to today and the meaning of it. She was nervous instantly. Today she would speak to Sedna. Today she would strip down to nothing and brave the icy water in front of the entire village. Today....was truly important. Yuralria's thoughts wandered to Tornuaq, and an icy hand clenched her chest and she felt her heart skip a beat. Where did he go? Would he be there? She reminisced the kiss they'd shared, and the warmth of his touch, and she felt fuzzy and wobbly inside. Then a moment later the warm feeling morphed into shame and remorse. She hadn't meant to make things harder. But they always wound up that way.

Yuralria rose, dressed, and began to inspect the arrowheads she'd blessed the night before. She knew she couldn't eat before the ceremony. Traditions were rather convenient for her, as she wouldn't keep anything down anyways. She looked over her desk for her headress and wands, touching each and inspecting them. She wanted to look perfect. She wanted Sedna to be pleased. If Sedna wasn't pleased, she'd have to tell the whole village of their poor hunting this year. That, after everything else, was something she just couldn't bear. Not today....not now. Not after yesterday and their distrust of me.
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unulaq steps outside his hut and the delicious smell of seal meat smoking over the Dorset fires hits him like a charging walrus bull. Thorrin is quick to follow, his nose high in the air sniffing wildly behind his friend. The entire village seemed a blur with activity. Women smiling at both Thorrrin and Unulaq as they walk past, curious of the new stranger and impressed with Unulaq’s new position of respect amongst the tribe. Men casting watchful glances their way; suspicious of Thorrin’s presence and somewhat jealous of Unulaq. They were all family though and Unulaq knew his people, while untrusting of change, would eventually accept Thorrin for the man he believed him to be.

Unualaq had overslept and his tribe had risen early to prepare themselves for the hour long walk across the ice to reach the ocean. There, they would wait for Yuralria to return from her meeting with the goddess and bring news of the hunt to her people. Sometimes it took hours for the shaman to return as Sedna was a difficult mistress to please. During this time, the Dorset people celebrated the life given to them by the gods by feasting and merry making.

Thorrin stretched his back and yawned keeping his eye on the smoking meat. For all the worry and turmoil of the previous day’s events, Thorrin looked genuinely happy.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Yuralria poked her head outside her hut and she could see the elder’s coming in her direction. All four of them! As this was her first year as Shaman, she had no idea what was expected or why the elders were marching to her door. The three months she had spent with Aglakti before she was driven from the village were spent in bewilderment. There was so much to learn in so little time. She had no time to learn how to deal with the elders. Aglakti was really good at it. She was well spoken and could stand her ground when the elder’s tried to force their own ideal onto the Dorset people. Aglakti had the mettle and the experience to stand up to the elders when she knew they were in the wrong. Yuralria, unfortunately, was inexperienced and the elders often took advantage of that. The combing ceremony would change all that… The elders would have to accept her authority after Sedna’s blessing. Then Yuralria would have the strength of character to guide her people through these troubled times.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria's head swims a little and her heart pounds in her ears. She withdraws from the door and goes back to inspecting her wands. If only I'd the time to meditate before the ceremony!
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq led Thorrin to the food and let him get his own portion, then looked around. He didn't see Tornuaq, but figured he had his hands busy with his girl problems. Then, Unalaq realized something had been bothering him.

"You ... eat," Unalaq worded out to Thorrin and motioned to the food. "I... talk... come back." He made gestures with his hand to his mouth as if words would fall right out, and a wave indicating he would go away, and then come back. He finished it by patting the man on the shoulder, and rushed over to Yuralria's hut. He hoped he would beat the elders. He wanted to mend any problems between them before she actually headed out to speak to Sedna, not that he feared retribution, but he had always been taught to speak to everyone as if it were the last time they would ever meet - for in this harsh land, one could never be sure.

ooc: Sorry I hadn't posted in a while. I meant to, and then got sidetracked... then plum forgot.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unulaq begins to run towards Yuralria’s hut and arrives before the Elders, who have stopped to discuss something with Faroo. (Qannaq’s young apprentice) Faroo is pointing frantically away from the village and the elders seem angered by what he is telling them.

ooc- Unulaq and Tornuaq can speak now... Don't wait for me to match you guys up. Just walk in or knock or whatever....
have a good weekend.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc: You mean Unalaq and Yuralria, right?

Unalaq called at Yuralria's hut entrance, not wishing to enter without permission (this time). "Yuralria ... may I speak with you? It is Unalaq."
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria looks startled at the voice from the tent flap....weren't the elders hot on his trail? This was peculiar timing....

She strides over to the flap and flings open the hide, looking at him accusatively. "Yes? What do you want?"

She couldn't help her poor attitude. Frankly the restless sleep the night before had left her feeling irritated, not to mention the army of elders about to maraud her at any given chance. The ceremony itself had covered her in a blanket of stress and foul agitaion. She tried to relax her expression and force a smile towards Unulaq, but her emotions kept coming rushing back. You have cut me....deep. I can smell your distrust a mile away....
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Yuralria, what happened yesterday was... well," Unalaq looked like he was at a loss of words, "eye-opening? But I want you to know that I feel you are doing what you think is right. I want you to know also that I have only done what I think is right. I have no spirit voices to influence me, just my gut and my view of life. As I am human, I am not flawless... but I remind you that you are human too. I know you intend to speak to Sedna today, probably with all sorts of questions about Thorrin, and I respect that. I only ask that you also ask of Loki as well. Let us find the truth out once and for all. Who can we trust? When you return, I will fall in line with all the others and listen to your wisdom from the mouth of Sedna, and I hope that you can forgive any disrespect I may have shown yesterday."

He paused once, and added, "Worry not about me knowing the feelings between Tornuaq and yourself. It is not my business, and I will stay out of it."
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria appeared quite defensive as Unulaq went on about Sedna, Thorrin and her pending ceremony. But her expression softened when he mentioned Tornuaq, and her eyes flickered at his name.

"Well thank you for your discretion, Unulaq. You know as well as I do that I am somewhat.....compromised."

She waves him in, dropping the hide flap behind him, and walks back to her desk, picking up the wand she'd been examining, and thoughtfully stroking it. She turns after a quiet moment and continues, "Sedna doesn't know Loki. At least......from what I gather of Loki's wife's description, it is so. I suspect I will not have a chance to speak any such names, if you want the truth of it."

Her mouth draws into a line of determination, with a hint of pride, "I know the pale faced man saved Tornuaq and your life. For that we are indebted to him. I will not occupy my thoughts further with friend or foe. He is safe here."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Yuralria and Unulaq are interrupted by the voice of an Elder outside Yuralria’s hut.

Unulaq… Yuralria… Come quickly. We have urgent news.

Assuming Yuralria and Unulaq answer and head outside her hut, they finds Elder So and So with Faroo who looks terrified to be put in the spotlight. The Elder pushes Faroo forward with his long driftwood walking stick.

Tell them!

Faroo rubs his shoulder where he was poked and gives the Elder a defiant look, typical of a young Dorest hunter, trying to prove his mettle.

There are two sleds missing. Tornuaq and Qannaq are both gone. Both sleds left the village separately in the night. I believe Qannaq’s sled follows Tornuaq as the tracks speak to me. Qannaq’s sled drags somewhat to the left.... There is worse new still. Another of the sleds was untied but could not be made to move. The tracks of a Dorset woman on foot follow those left by Qannaq and Tornuaq south towards the sea. Atraylaqu says her daughter Sashila is missing as well. I fear she has followed them on foot.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq was pleased enough by Yuralria's submission to the Thorrin matter... but that glib feeling didn't last long.

With the new news, Unalaq frowned ... "What business would Tornuaq have for running off in the middle of the night? Unless..." With sudden realization, he faced Yuralria and asked, "Do you think it is possible that he is still controlled by the desire to weild the knife?" He hurriedly asked, "Faroo, which direction did the sleds travel?"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Faroo nods, having been present in the Chief’s hut when Unulaq had told his story of Thorrin and the knife.

South towards the Thule hunting grounds… Qannaq followed him…. and Sashila shortly after on foot. She couldn’t have gotten far.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 3 : Sedna's Comb : (Yuralria, Ogtuk-Luk, Unulaq)

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq looked to the chief and said "He might kill himself if he decides to go swimming for the knife. If it takes over his desires, he will keep swimming until he finds it... only he will not find it because the knife isn't in the water to be found." He glanced over to his dogs and added, "I could be on their trail in ten minutes... pick up Sashila on the way. Do you think it wise?"
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

[OC Sorry for the delay...work's been a nightmare]
ImpInTraining wrote: With sudden realization, he faced Yuralria and asked, "Do you think it is possible that he is still controlled by the desire to weild the knife?" He hurriedly asked, "Faroo, which direction did the sleds travel?"
All the colour seems to drain from Yuralria's face as she looks back at him, and she avoids the chief's gaze altogether.

In a quiet, yet determined voice, she replies, "I must see that knife myself. It must have a draw on those that touch it. Perhaps it is covered in a spell. Either way, it is very powerful and should be treated with much respect."

"I fear for Tornuaq, and for Sashila. We encountered Ijiraat that killed many of our tribe already. We must send villagers to follow them. Unulaq! You must not go on your own. And if you leave, I believe it wise to take Thorrin with you. You have connected with him in a way that none of us have."

The rage and jealousy Yuralria feels inside is rising to the surface, and it may be apparent in her expression at the moment. She avoids glances, and turns away, which would seem like odd behaviour for her.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq nods, "As you wish..." he looks to the chief and says, "... with your blessing?"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Chief Kalituk begins to answer Unulaq but one of the four Elders interrupts…

No!

Tornuaq had no right to go running off after some foreign god’s tooth with the combing ceremony so close at hand…. and Qannaq should not have followed. On any other day we would grant you our blessing… but not on this day Unulaq..

All of the Elder’s nod their heads in agreement.

If Tornuaq’s actions have cost us Sedna’s blessing… this threat from the north-men will mean little compared to the ramifications of a failed hunt. Our year will be plagued with hunger and pestilence… We have seen it happen before and it will happen again. Sedna is a vengeful goddess. We will not risk her favor over some foreigner’s magic.

A second Elder chimes in, looking directly at the Shaman with empathy and concern deep in his eys.

Yuralria… Our good and lawful Shaman… You should not be concerning yourself with the actions of a renegade and mal-content. (Tornuaq) You must conserve your strength. It will take all that you are to earn your rightful place as Shaman in the eyes of the goddess.

And Unulaq… do not let your feelings for Tornuaq cloud your judgment. If Qannaq has followed in search of your brother, then his fate rests solely in his venerable hands. You have shown much promise and we believe that one day you will be chief to the benefit of all the Dorset People. Do not let a hasty decision ruin all you have worked for.

He then turns to Chief Kalituk and narrows his eyes, speaking sternly.

And you Kalituk… Your arrogance and your disrespect for the old ways is most disconcerting. You undermine us at every turn… Gather the people... ready the Kayaks…. We walk within the hour.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

"And you would let your brother die??!" Yuralria nearly spits the words out, her voice squeaking a high pitched, disgusted tone. She was baffled at their lack of compassion. She lowered her eyes right after, ashamed at her outburst, and nods her head in apology.

"Very well." she said softly, her eyes flickering over Unulaq's pensively. She ducked back into her hut behind the hide flap and lay down on her bed face first.

This was all so confusing, so difficult, so startling for her. Did she even want to be Shaman anymore? To turn a hard heart and unfeeling eye on the man she loved, and to give her entire future to her village? To lie awake in her bed, untouched and lonely, for all her life....was it worth it? Tears began to stream faster down her cheeks and she hoped the elders wouldn't hear her on the other side. She buried her face in the furs of her bed and wept.

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”