Chapter 3 : Braving the Storm! - Tornuaq

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Chapter 3 : Braving the Storm! - Tornuaq

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Tornuaq races across the rolling snow drifts of the arctic tundra. The night air is cold and an the land is quiet. The sound of crumpling snow and panting dogs is comforting to the Dorset warrior. His side still aches from the stab wound he had suffered earlier this day at the hands of the Vikings, but the freezing air seems to have dulled the pain somewhat. Not a single cloud in the sky, the moon shines down on the snowy plains giving Tornuaq a clear line of sight a mile in each direction.

The voice of the smear-faced Inuit man had let him be for the first leg of his journey. Now it seems to echoe across the plains as it speaks plainly.

Yes Tornuaq!! I like where you are headed with this quest. Perhaps a gift for the elders will indeed persuade them to abandon their laws and ignore centuries of tradition and godly creed.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 2: V-day!! Braving the Storm! - Tornuaq

Post by Andrew »

"It is not just for the Shaman's hand I do this. The knife had a hold on me and spoke to me the way you do. I cannot even say you are not the voice of the knife but using a different guise. I do this for a feeling in me tells me that the knife is important. Those Viking men came looking for something, I saw the way the one searched Thorrin well trying to kill him. It has to be the knife that is causing this madness... my madness. I will find it and complete the quest it asks me to do. Unalaq was right for keeping me from it, this is madness." Tornuaq stated as he drove the dogs on and then decided to ask another question of the smear-faced warrior. "Who are you exactly? What you tell me I think is the best course but there are things that let me know it is wrong. Who are you?"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

You think me a knife Tornuaq?

The voice chuckles with amusement.

This pleases me beyond your comprehension… I am no knife little soul though I have seen such a tool before. If you search your heart, you will know my name. All eyes in the heavens are on you now my brave and handsome man. You and a few others whose choices will shape the way things will be… the future of your people rests on you Tornuaq and your beloved Yuralria. It is a very exciting time to be alive.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

"Are you even alive?" Tornuaq stated a bit shaken. He was a bit disturbed who he was speaking to, he had no idea who it could be, not a man at least but if Sedna were to present herself he was sure she would not do so in the form of a man. He decided to try his best to ignore such thoughts and just drive his dogs to his destination.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Alive? The voice jests.

I am more life than alive as you would think it. One thing is for certain Tornuaq, I am not just in your head. Ha Ha Ha! You amuse me to no end… child of the white rain! I am glad we had this opportunity to speak. Now please tell me more of your feelings for the Shaman. This interests me greatly…

oc – make a dog sled roll.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Tornuaq rides his sled dogs for the first leg of the trek with alarming speed, reaching the site where his people fought so bravely against the Ijiraat in record time. Blood still covers the snow and his fallen Dorset brother’s bodies now lie uncovered in a pile intermixed with the dead Ijiraat wolves. The piles have been disturbed, possibly by natural wolves but Tornuaq can see the haunting image of his brother’s faces frozen with horror half buried in the blood and the snow.

ooc – sled dog ride check for the second hour. Then describe what you do.

Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

Dog Sled 45% (1d100=6)

Tornuaq sighed as he saw his brother's haunted faces looking back as he went past. He knew he needed to cover them but time was running out he feared. 'I will come back and take care of you properly. I rush to keep anymore of our brothers and sisters from harm, I just pray I am not to late.' He thought to himself as he went past.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Tornuaq rides by the bodies of his fallen brothers and the voice takes this opportunity to speak.

You are making the right decision here Tornuaq. Chief Kalituk made the decision to leave them behind. It is not your fault the wolves have gotten to them or that they may never know true rest in the spirit world. You are a man in love…. The champion of the Dorset people. The Shaman will be yours Tornuaq, by one way or another…..

ooc- Ride Dogsled check please. (Plus conversation unless you don’t want to answer)
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

OOC: Dog Sled 45% (1d100=97) I hate this stupid dice roller. Did Chad ask you about using the Dark and Moody one? Also with a roll that bad, Tornuaq wouldn't even worry about conversation as something bad is probably about to happen but he very much so doesn't see things the way the voice does.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Tornuaq rides along the icy tundra on the last leg of his journey to the Thule Hunting grounds, mentally preparing himself for a cold morning swim. He knew the inlet well and could picture the exact spot where he had found Thorrin and where Unulaq had thrown the knife.

In the summer, as a child, he would often swim in these cold arctic waters and knew them well. They were deep but no so deep that the dive would be overly difficult. It would however be impossible in the dark. Tornuaq therefore had a narrow window in which he could perform a proper search of the shoreline. 6 hours. From early morning to mid day. (Noon) with peak lighting conditions in the mid morning. Then he would have to have a fire started…. The ocean will be freezing and he could very well lose control of his muscles as his body will be shivering uncontrollably. Without a fire, Tornuaq would freeze to death on the shore.

All of these thoughts crossed Tornuaq’s mind as made his way alone to find the knife. His only company was the hollow voice that encouraged him forward, helping Tornuaq justify his actions as he needed them justified; constantly telling him he was doing the right thing whether Tornuaq believed it himself.

The sun had not risen yet but Tornuaq could feel the morning fast approaching. The moon still shone bright in the night sky, lighting his way. As Tornuaq rounded a small hill, a cloud covered the moonlight. Luckily the moon’s light dimmed when it did as a whole host of torches suddenly appeared over the horizon. Six campfires at least. The Vikings had not moved far from the Thule hunting grounds and had set up camp no more than a few hundred meters from shore. If someone where looking in his direction with the moon so bright, they might have spotted his silhouette.

The voice forces a decision to the surface of Tornuaq’s mind.

What will you do now, child of the snow?
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

Tornuaq gulped hard and squatted down low so as not to be seen. 'I do not know what to do, I had not thought of these men being here but they are right where I need to be. If I walk among them I will be killed but I cannot wait for them to leave either as I do not have much time.' From his position, Tornuaq studied the land, hoping he could find a way down and to where the knife was last at.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Tornuaq watches the campfires of the Viking tribe glow bright in the distance. The Viking camp is still a fair distance off from the Thule Hunting grounds and they would not be able to see him so far from the beach if he made a move. The voice echoes in his ears encouraging him to finish his task.

You can make it young hunter… Or you could always wait for your friend to arrive. Are you aware you are being followed?
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

A questioning look crosses Tornuaq's face as he heads out. "No I didn't know I was being followed. Do you know by who?" Tornuaq then quickly ran and kept as low as possible to avoid detection running as quickly as he could towards the water.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Another child of the frozen rain… I’ve no doubt… riding his sled like the moon wolf was nipping at his heels…

Tornuaq runs on foot to the Inlet, leaving his sled dogs hidden behind a tall snow drift away from any prying Viking eyes. After a short uphill sprint, he reaches the hill’s crest and now can see the ocean clearly. When last he saw this place it was covered in Beluga whales up and down the coast.

Tornuaq runs down the backside of the hill and finally puts his feet on Thule hunting ground. He hears a walrus bull grunt further up the beach and after his eyes adjust to the total darkness, he makes out a small group of them sleeping a short distance away. (100 ft) Now that he is finally at the water’s edge, Tornuaq cannot see the Viking encampment over the high hill that follows the Thule hunting grounds along the entire length of the shore. Better yet, in all likelihood, they cannot see him.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

Tornuaq didn't like the idea of one of his people putting his life endanger out here alone. What he was doing was crazy but why would another of his tribe be doing the same? That made no sense to him but he did not doubt that it could be so, he did not try to cover his tracks as he left.

Standing at the water's edge, Tornuaq knew he had to do this as quickly as he could. With the Vikings not far off and the coldness of the water he suddenly felt a moment of terror as he realized he was probably going to die before this day was over. Shaking his head he quickly and as quietly as he could slipped into the ocean and began searching for the knife.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Tornuaq slides into the water as the sun just begins to show her bright shiny face. The voice seems to fade away as Tornuaq approaches the water’s edge.

This course you have chosen may not be……….

The cold hits Tornuaq like a bolt of lightning, sending a painful chilling numbness through his entire body. If he is going to do this, he better get it over with quickly.

ooc – Swim check. (You will have bonuses)
ooc – Spot Hidden check.
ooc – Own Lands check.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Re: Chapter 3 : Braving the Storm! - Tornuaq

Post by Andrew »

OOC: Fucking failed everyone. I'm not using that website anymore. I'm tired of failing every damn roll. Swim (50%) Spot Hidden (60%) Own Land (40%) (1d100=89, 1d100=98, 1d100=79)

However my rolls on Dark and Moody were: 19 19 80
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc - next time the dark and moody one will count.... :evil:

Tornuaq dives down into the fridgid arctic sea. As his head sinks below the surface, his vision darkens for a brief second and a picture of the mountain flashes before his eyes once again.

Tornuaq knew he was close..... that the knife was near. The Dorset hunter swam deeper knowing the bottom was fast approaching. He had swam in these waters many times in his life, though never in the harsh winter. The inlet was shallow and made it easier for the white seals and the walrus to catch fish so they often gathered here in the inlet. It's no wonder the Thule were so eager to trade their cariboo territory for these hunting grounds. Tornuaq's joints began to stiffen almost immediately but his resolve kept him moving forward, though the cold burned him like fire. It took him a short time to get his bearings. He swam in a panic searching for a knife that could be anywhere. After a full minute Tornuaq was forced to the surface. He gripped to the ice of the shoreline for support as his body shivered violently. He had a good idea now for the shape of the rocky ocean floor. He remembered the sound the knife had made as Unulaq tossed it into the water; the approximate distance his Dorset brother must have thrown it. He might find it if he tries one more time....
The sun had now risen over the mountains and the wamth of its rays gave him strength. At that moment a different voice chose to speak with Tornuaq or perhaps he just chose to hear her.

She does loves you child of the frozen rain.

ooc - same three rolls if you want to go back down. I'll give you a +10% on your Homeland and a +10% on your Spot Hidden skill if you want to try again. It's cold!
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

OOC: Apparently Tornuaq isn't meant to find it. Thu May 01 06:54:18 2008 Andrew 3 d 100 0 23 83 51 Swim (50%) Spot Hidden (70%) Own Land (50%).

As Tornuaq popped up out of the ocean he was slightly taken back by the sound of the other voice. Briefly Tornuaq wondered if he had frozen his brain, now he was hearing multiple voices in his head... that couldn't be good. However he wondered who this new voice was and who the she was the voice referred to.

Taking in a deep breath, Tornuaq dove into the water again.

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”