Page 1 of 1

Chapter 3 : Braving the Storm! - Tornuaq

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:56 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq races across the rolling snow drifts of the arctic tundra. The night air is cold and an the land is quiet. The sound of crumpling snow and panting dogs is comforting to the Dorset warrior. His side still aches from the stab wound he had suffered earlier this day at the hands of the Vikings, but the freezing air seems to have dulled the pain somewhat. Not a single cloud in the sky, the moon shines down on the snowy plains giving Tornuaq a clear line of sight a mile in each direction.

The voice of the smear-faced Inuit man had let him be for the first leg of his journey. Now it seems to echoe across the plains as it speaks plainly.

Yes Tornuaq!! I like where you are headed with this quest. Perhaps a gift for the elders will indeed persuade them to abandon their laws and ignore centuries of tradition and godly creed.

Re: Chapter 2: V-day!! Braving the Storm! - Tornuaq

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:39 pm
by Andrew
"It is not just for the Shaman's hand I do this. The knife had a hold on me and spoke to me the way you do. I cannot even say you are not the voice of the knife but using a different guise. I do this for a feeling in me tells me that the knife is important. Those Viking men came looking for something, I saw the way the one searched Thorrin well trying to kill him. It has to be the knife that is causing this madness... my madness. I will find it and complete the quest it asks me to do. Unalaq was right for keeping me from it, this is madness." Tornuaq stated as he drove the dogs on and then decided to ask another question of the smear-faced warrior. "Who are you exactly? What you tell me I think is the best course but there are things that let me know it is wrong. Who are you?"

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:37 pm
by DSIGFUSS
You think me a knife Tornuaq?

The voice chuckles with amusement.

This pleases me beyond your comprehension… I am no knife little soul though I have seen such a tool before. If you search your heart, you will know my name. All eyes in the heavens are on you now my brave and handsome man. You and a few others whose choices will shape the way things will be… the future of your people rests on you Tornuaq and your beloved Yuralria. It is a very exciting time to be alive.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:30 pm
by Andrew
"Are you even alive?" Tornuaq stated a bit shaken. He was a bit disturbed who he was speaking to, he had no idea who it could be, not a man at least but if Sedna were to present herself he was sure she would not do so in the form of a man. He decided to try his best to ignore such thoughts and just drive his dogs to his destination.

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:36 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Alive? The voice jests.

I am more life than alive as you would think it. One thing is for certain Tornuaq, I am not just in your head. Ha Ha Ha! You amuse me to no end… child of the white rain! I am glad we had this opportunity to speak. Now please tell me more of your feelings for the Shaman. This interests me greatly…

oc – make a dog sled roll.

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:53 pm
by Andrew

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:40 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq rides his sled dogs for the first leg of the trek with alarming speed, reaching the site where his people fought so bravely against the Ijiraat in record time. Blood still covers the snow and his fallen Dorset brother’s bodies now lie uncovered in a pile intermixed with the dead Ijiraat wolves. The piles have been disturbed, possibly by natural wolves but Tornuaq can see the haunting image of his brother’s faces frozen with horror half buried in the blood and the snow.

ooc – sled dog ride check for the second hour. Then describe what you do.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:19 am
by Andrew
Dog Sled 45% (1d100=6)

Tornuaq sighed as he saw his brother's haunted faces looking back as he went past. He knew he needed to cover them but time was running out he feared. 'I will come back and take care of you properly. I rush to keep anymore of our brothers and sisters from harm, I just pray I am not to late.' He thought to himself as he went past.

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:04 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq rides by the bodies of his fallen brothers and the voice takes this opportunity to speak.

You are making the right decision here Tornuaq. Chief Kalituk made the decision to leave them behind. It is not your fault the wolves have gotten to them or that they may never know true rest in the spirit world. You are a man in love…. The champion of the Dorset people. The Shaman will be yours Tornuaq, by one way or another…..

ooc- Ride Dogsled check please. (Plus conversation unless you don’t want to answer)

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:30 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Dog Sled 45% (1d100=97) I hate this stupid dice roller. Did Chad ask you about using the Dark and Moody one? Also with a roll that bad, Tornuaq wouldn't even worry about conversation as something bad is probably about to happen but he very much so doesn't see things the way the voice does.

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:16 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq rides along the icy tundra on the last leg of his journey to the Thule Hunting grounds, mentally preparing himself for a cold morning swim. He knew the inlet well and could picture the exact spot where he had found Thorrin and where Unulaq had thrown the knife.

In the summer, as a child, he would often swim in these cold arctic waters and knew them well. They were deep but no so deep that the dive would be overly difficult. It would however be impossible in the dark. Tornuaq therefore had a narrow window in which he could perform a proper search of the shoreline. 6 hours. From early morning to mid day. (Noon) with peak lighting conditions in the mid morning. Then he would have to have a fire started…. The ocean will be freezing and he could very well lose control of his muscles as his body will be shivering uncontrollably. Without a fire, Tornuaq would freeze to death on the shore.

All of these thoughts crossed Tornuaq’s mind as made his way alone to find the knife. His only company was the hollow voice that encouraged him forward, helping Tornuaq justify his actions as he needed them justified; constantly telling him he was doing the right thing whether Tornuaq believed it himself.

The sun had not risen yet but Tornuaq could feel the morning fast approaching. The moon still shone bright in the night sky, lighting his way. As Tornuaq rounded a small hill, a cloud covered the moonlight. Luckily the moon’s light dimmed when it did as a whole host of torches suddenly appeared over the horizon. Six campfires at least. The Vikings had not moved far from the Thule hunting grounds and had set up camp no more than a few hundred meters from shore. If someone where looking in his direction with the moon so bright, they might have spotted his silhouette.

The voice forces a decision to the surface of Tornuaq’s mind.

What will you do now, child of the snow?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:17 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq gulped hard and squatted down low so as not to be seen. 'I do not know what to do, I had not thought of these men being here but they are right where I need to be. If I walk among them I will be killed but I cannot wait for them to leave either as I do not have much time.' From his position, Tornuaq studied the land, hoping he could find a way down and to where the knife was last at.

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:12 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq watches the campfires of the Viking tribe glow bright in the distance. The Viking camp is still a fair distance off from the Thule Hunting grounds and they would not be able to see him so far from the beach if he made a move. The voice echoes in his ears encouraging him to finish his task.

You can make it young hunter… Or you could always wait for your friend to arrive. Are you aware you are being followed?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:52 pm
by Andrew
A questioning look crosses Tornuaq's face as he heads out. "No I didn't know I was being followed. Do you know by who?" Tornuaq then quickly ran and kept as low as possible to avoid detection running as quickly as he could towards the water.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Another child of the frozen rain… I’ve no doubt… riding his sled like the moon wolf was nipping at his heels…

Tornuaq runs on foot to the Inlet, leaving his sled dogs hidden behind a tall snow drift away from any prying Viking eyes. After a short uphill sprint, he reaches the hill’s crest and now can see the ocean clearly. When last he saw this place it was covered in Beluga whales up and down the coast.

Tornuaq runs down the backside of the hill and finally puts his feet on Thule hunting ground. He hears a walrus bull grunt further up the beach and after his eyes adjust to the total darkness, he makes out a small group of them sleeping a short distance away. (100 ft) Now that he is finally at the water’s edge, Tornuaq cannot see the Viking encampment over the high hill that follows the Thule hunting grounds along the entire length of the shore. Better yet, in all likelihood, they cannot see him.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:50 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq didn't like the idea of one of his people putting his life endanger out here alone. What he was doing was crazy but why would another of his tribe be doing the same? That made no sense to him but he did not doubt that it could be so, he did not try to cover his tracks as he left.

Standing at the water's edge, Tornuaq knew he had to do this as quickly as he could. With the Vikings not far off and the coldness of the water he suddenly felt a moment of terror as he realized he was probably going to die before this day was over. Shaking his head he quickly and as quietly as he could slipped into the ocean and began searching for the knife.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:30 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq slides into the water as the sun just begins to show her bright shiny face. The voice seems to fade away as Tornuaq approaches the water’s edge.

This course you have chosen may not be……….

The cold hits Tornuaq like a bolt of lightning, sending a painful chilling numbness through his entire body. If he is going to do this, he better get it over with quickly.

ooc – Swim check. (You will have bonuses)
ooc – Spot Hidden check.
ooc – Own Lands check.

Re: Chapter 3 : Braving the Storm! - Tornuaq

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:06 am
by Andrew
OOC: Fucking failed everyone. I'm not using that website anymore. I'm tired of failing every damn roll. Swim (50%) Spot Hidden (60%) Own Land (40%) (1d100=89, 1d100=98, 1d100=79)

However my rolls on Dark and Moody were: 19 19 80

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:34 am
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - next time the dark and moody one will count.... :evil:

Tornuaq dives down into the fridgid arctic sea. As his head sinks below the surface, his vision darkens for a brief second and a picture of the mountain flashes before his eyes once again.

Tornuaq knew he was close..... that the knife was near. The Dorset hunter swam deeper knowing the bottom was fast approaching. He had swam in these waters many times in his life, though never in the harsh winter. The inlet was shallow and made it easier for the white seals and the walrus to catch fish so they often gathered here in the inlet. It's no wonder the Thule were so eager to trade their cariboo territory for these hunting grounds. Tornuaq's joints began to stiffen almost immediately but his resolve kept him moving forward, though the cold burned him like fire. It took him a short time to get his bearings. He swam in a panic searching for a knife that could be anywhere. After a full minute Tornuaq was forced to the surface. He gripped to the ice of the shoreline for support as his body shivered violently. He had a good idea now for the shape of the rocky ocean floor. He remembered the sound the knife had made as Unulaq tossed it into the water; the approximate distance his Dorset brother must have thrown it. He might find it if he tries one more time....
The sun had now risen over the mountains and the wamth of its rays gave him strength. At that moment a different voice chose to speak with Tornuaq or perhaps he just chose to hear her.

She does loves you child of the frozen rain.

ooc - same three rolls if you want to go back down. I'll give you a +10% on your Homeland and a +10% on your Spot Hidden skill if you want to try again. It's cold!

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:01 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Apparently Tornuaq isn't meant to find it. Thu May 01 06:54:18 2008 Andrew 3 d 100 0 23 83 51 Swim (50%) Spot Hidden (70%) Own Land (50%).

As Tornuaq popped up out of the ocean he was slightly taken back by the sound of the other voice. Briefly Tornuaq wondered if he had frozen his brain, now he was hearing multiple voices in his head... that couldn't be good. However he wondered who this new voice was and who the she was the voice referred to.

Taking in a deep breath, Tornuaq dove into the water again.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:16 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq emerges for a second time having failed to find the knife.... his body tensing from the frigid waters. He barely has the strength to pull himself out of the water.

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

His heart pounds in his head as he instinctive curls himself up into a ball to conserve heat. Tornuaq can feel himself dying and there is very little he can do at he moment to save himself. His sled is at least 30 yards off and may as well be a thousand miles off as far as he was concerned. The cold has all but paralyzed Tornuaq. He could manage a short crawl but for how long, he wasn’t sure.

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

Then Tornuaq realized the pounding hollow noise in his head was not his own heart beating but something else. He could feel his own heart beating much much slower and with very little life.

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

The light of the sun blinded him as he shivered and shook violently on the icy shore. Through the glare, he could see a soft bluish glow in the snow just a few meters away. It was there Tornuaq could hear the loud slamming thunderous heart beat.

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:02 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq focused all his energy on crawling to the bluish glow.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:26 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - Make a CONx5 check Tornuaq.

The soft girlish voice returns whispering words of encouragement.

You can make it Tornuaq. Think of your love… Let my warmth surround your spirit and your heart be filled with hope for the future...

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:37 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Conx5=70%, Rolled a 22.

Tornuaq wasn't sure what it was he felt but he was pretty sure this was not how death came. With a grim determination he crawled toward the glow, listening to the woman's voice. Was it really her warmth who helped him? Who was she? Sedna? It could only be!

Re: Chapter 3 : Braving the Storm! - Tornuaq and Qannaq

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:35 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq shakes violently as he inches his towards the glowing mound of snow. The femanine voice edges him on.

You're almost there my child. Soon everything shall be as it must.

His body begins sieze but still he closes the distance.

Reach for it Tornuaq.... Reach for your destiny.

Then suddenly someone grabs him. All his strength drained from the cold, Tornuuaq is powerless to resist. His vision blurred, all he can see is the glow beneath the snow as the stranger turns him onto his back and begins to quickly strip off his clothing.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:04 pm
by Andrew
At first Tornuaq tries to struggle and does his best to shout that he must reach the glow but when nothing he does works, he just rolls his eyes up into his head and succumbs to whoever is doing whatever to him.

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:31 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq can tell it is an Inuit man coming to his aid as he is well versed in Arctic survival techniques. Tornuaq realizes this in his hypothermic delusionary state as the man presses Tornuaq's naked body up to his own naked form transfering heat to Tornuaq as quickly as he's able. If Tornuaq does not have a fire going soon, he will die.

oc - roll a CONx3

Despite the violent spasms coursing through Tornuaq's body he still manages to get a mumbled sentence out when the man holds him close. Turnauq shivers out the following:

M..mm….mm… my knife… Th…Th… Th…orrrin … N…n….need it! M….mm…mm….ountains.

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:53 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Conx3=42%, Rolled a 27%

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:05 am
by DSIGFUSS
As Tornuaq's body begins to seize he still struggles for the knife but the Inuit holding holding him naked to the snow covered shore suddenly lets go. He stands towering over the Dorset warrior and looks looks up to the sky and waits silently for a moment.. Tornuaq's vision blurs as he enters the later stages of hypothermia and he can only see the man as he would a shadow. His own nakes outline silouetted against the arctic sky.

Reach for it child of the frozen rain. Reach out and know me!

ooc - DEX x2 roll to move CON x3 roll to stay conscious. Or you could just give up. Idea roll to speak. If you can speak you can say only a few stuttering words.

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:03 am
by Andrew
OOC: Should have just given up. Dex x2=24%. Rolled a 59%. Con x3=42%. Rolled 43%.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:09 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- Too bad about the rolls Andrew… You are now with another PC. He’s camping until Wednesday so we’ll just play out your delirium until then OK? Unless you could use the break. I heard you got a new job and it’s freaking tough!

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:29 pm
by Andrew
OOC: If Tornuaq is dead then I'm out. I don't want to go through developing another character.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:21 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Shivering in the death throws of Hypothermia, Tornuaq loses consciousness.

The last thing he remembers is hearing a friendly voice whispering.

We don't need a knife....

oc - OK coffee demon is back.. Go to new thread.

Chapter 3: Warming up! : Tornuaq and Qannaq

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:36 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq races away from the Dorset tribe atop his sled. Noone had even bothered to say goodbye, save Thorrin who simply waved, unable to communicate his feelings of worry for his Dorset friend. Before he left however, Thorrin reached for Tornuaq’s spear and whispered a short song in the hunter’s ear.

The ride would take a few hours… There and back from the Thule Hunting grounds, where Unulaq had buried the knife in the snow.

The sun had already set and the plains were lit only by the brightness of the nearly full moon. As the final sliver of sunlight disappeared over the horizon that same low sounding male voice came to Tornuaq’s mind.

You were right to kiss her Tornuaq, even if she resists. She belongs to you! I have always known this to be true…

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:03 pm
by Andrew
"Oh shut up whoever you are! It seems to me that you are only trying to make trouble for me. I will get the knife, do what it wants and then if I am alive I will live out the rest of my life in exile as I deserve to." Tornuaq stated, he was in no mood for this voice that only he heard. It must be the knife talking to him or else he was truely going crazy and if that was the case he was not fit to be any woman's husband.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:49 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The voice laughs.

Do not deny me child of the frozen rain. I only wish what is truly in your heart most desperate desires. You must take what you must in this life.. no matter the consequence. No matter how severe the punishment. By force if necessary! What you seek from this woman has been taken before! By your ancestors and if you would choose to believe... by me!

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:17 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq just shook his head and raced the dogs hard towards the beach. The Voice had a few good points but now was not the time to listen to that kind of talk. Tornuaq wondered if he could ignore The Voice. Being that it was in his head and all. To him The Voice sounded selfish but then again his own actions were selfish... and stupid.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:10 am
by DSIGFUSS
The voice responds to Tornuaq's thoughts...

There is purity in selfishness child of the frozen rain. Is it selfish to want for others... She wants for you just as you want for her. Laws and customs alone stand in your way. What do your elders and lawmakers know of Sedna's wishes. Do they know her as I know her? Who's voice would you hear in this matter? Theirs? Even the eldest have but a fraction of my wisdom.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:33 pm
by Andrew
Spoiler:
OOC: Was the voice male or female? I forget or didnt ask before... I think I just forgot.
"But how do I know that you know Sedna at all? For all I know the snow knows her better than you for I do not know who you are. I mean no disrespect but I speak the truth. I do appreciate what you are trying to say but with everything that has happened I fear you might be trying to lead me astray. I... I guess I don't know whether to quite trust you yet. You only speak to me when I am alone and you abandoned me completely when I went into the waters." Tornuaq thought, he knew he didn't have to speak aloud for The Voice to hear him. "What can I address you as? Right now you're just a voice that a crazy Dorset hunter hears when he's alone."

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:15 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- The voice is male. The other voice (in pink) is female. She speaks to you less. Please make an idea check.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:29 pm
by Andrew
Spoiler:
OOC: Of course he fails, from now on I'm not even going to roll anymore. Just assume I failed my rolls.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:43 am
by DSIGFUSS
What does it matter if I am simply in your head young hunter... I am here and I am wisdom beyond your years. I am the circle I will help you achieve your goals. I can point out goals you were not even aware were possible. I will help you find the knife and I will help you disover what you truly seek.I I can give you the Shaman.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:59 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq shrugged, 'Sure why not. I can't say I'm happy not knowing who you are but I guess in the long run it doesn't matter. More than likely I will be forced to leave my tribe for my foolishness... big help you and your wisdom were there.' Tornuaq finished the sentence with a chuckle and then continued, 'Let's find the knife and see where we go from there, Unulaq said he hid it on the beach.'

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:37 am
by DSIGFUSS
Yes... Unulaq! You're brother.... and long time friend. Were you aware young child of the frozen rain... of his betrayal? He has bedded Sashila. The details are something to be desired. What makes you think he speaks for your best interests?

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:28 pm
by Andrew
"HA!" Tornuaq shouted. 'Unulaq would never do such a thing and even if he had Sashila would be better off with him anyway. I know he speaks for my best interests because he is my brother. Do not try to break my trust in him or my other brothers. You will fail, I will stop listening to you because I know then that you have nothing but harmful intents.'

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:00 am
by DSIGFUSS
The Voice concedes..

Very well Tornuaq... I will no longer speak of such things. He is your friend and I admire your loyalty. I simply wished to point out the failings in man. Your friend follows his heart and cannot be blamed for what he does. Just as you too follow your own heart; child of the frozen rain. You trust Unulaq because you know he has honor inside him.. despite his failings. just as you have honor, despite yours. Do not feel guilt for what you have done boy. Unulaq feels it and it will soon be the death of him if cannot come to terms with it. You are men.... hunters.. gatherers... you have taken what is yours since the time of your creation. I took what was mine many moons ago if you can understand the irony in that? You will win the Shaman... This I can see... Only your methods will come into question.

Now tell me Tornuaq... Do you beleive the Elders will give you the rights to the Shaman once you have fulfilled your destiny and saved your people from these dark times?

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:32 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq suddenly stopped the sled dogs. The last question hit home, in his fantasy they treated him like a chieftain, Yuralria on his arm and Unulaq beaming with pride, nudging other Dorset people that that was his brother... but the reality? "I... I don't know. I suppose they'll thank me and than banish me. The elders are pretty uptight about appeasing Sedna. Personally I think Sedna wouldn't care, if she was a good goddess she'd care more about the happiness of her children and not some silly rule about her shaman never knowing a man. Obviously in Yuralria's case it is upsetting for her, not making her happier or even a better shaman. I think the elders have interprated Sedna all wrong. I think she's alright and it angers the goddess that her children have it all backwards, that's just me though."

He then got the dogs running again and added, "But yes, I will definitely be banished maybe even killed but it will be well worth the price. Save my people and dying knowing that a good woman loves him, I cannot think of a better way to meet Sedna face to face."

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:35 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq feels an excitable calm come overself. As if he had just discovered a truth that set his mind at ease... The hollow voice continues and Tornuaq finds himself nodding as if he were agreeing with his own words.

There is wisdom in your words Tornuaq! You are right.... Sedna cares little for the preferences of men or which of us her chosen few choose to bed. You have more to fear from my sister than the godess of the sea. But she has little power now in theses dark times.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:28 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiled, "Thank Sedna for small blessings?" he said allowed as he raced to the beach once again.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:48 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- I'm waiting for something to finish before you get to the beach. Would you rather wait or talk with the voice for fun? It will probably take a few days maybe a week? Your choice! The voice will pretty much chat your ear off on any subject...

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:01 am
by Andrew
OOC: We can wait. I can't think of anything to say to the voice. Now if the voice has things it wants to say then who am I to stop a voice? :)

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:35 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq continues to guide his sled through the night and the snow. The mysterious voice in his head keeps him company most of the way. It tells him ancient stories of his people so old, they have been lost through lack of telling. Stories of triumph over the laws of man and stories of victory over the gods themselves. One story sticks out in Tornuaq's mind. The story of Agoolik the hunter; who had tricked the godess herself into offering him a place in the Shaman's bed.

Agoolik, like Tornuaq, had fallen in love in with his tribe's Shaman but she would return none of his love. Not only was she not permitted to be with men as Dorset law still dictates today, but she had no interest in the hunter and was too absorbed with her magics to even care. Agoolik could not be denied, so he journey across the plains to the birthplace of Sedna. There, for ten days and nights he offered sacrifice to the ocean godess until she was forced by hunter's right to answer him. The blood of the bear and the whale darkened the waters and Sedna rose through it all to honor his tribute. It was then that Agoolik showered the godess in compliments and praised her beauty til he had no more breath to speak. Sedna was smitten with the hunter's persistance and asked him what he wished in return for his praise. Agoolik asked only that he be allowed to express his love physically. That he be granted permission to make love to his heart's most deepest desire. Sedna was vain and assumed that Agoolik desired only her so he set him on a quest for an ancient tusk filled with the mystery of the spirit world. Then, she smiled... will you finally get what you most desire.

Agoolik did as Sedna asked and after enduring much hardship he returned with the tusk. Sedna in all her wisdom did not see what would happen next. As Sedna removed her furs in preparation for the hunter, the hunter raised his hand and refused her.

"You promised me my heart's desire godess and I desire your Shaman... not you! Sedna was outraged but was bound by her own words to give Agoolik what he desired. She summoned the Dorset Shaman to him and when she finally arrived, the godess ordered her to bed Agoolik. The Shaman had no choice but to obey her godess and after Agoolik was spent, the Shaman fell madly in love with the hunter.... so in love, that she gave up her position as Shaman and chose to live with Agoolik in exile.

Sedna's wrath, however, was obsolute and she eventually murdered Agoolik and the Shaman in a terrible storm. Their death came quick, but not before Agoolik fathered three sons with his wife..... the Shaman.

What do you think of this tale Tornuaq? I wish only that it will give you hope. Not hope for blasphemy or defilement............ but for possibilty!

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:05 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq swallowed hard after the tale and said, "If nothing else it tells me that I am truly in trouble. Live my life in torment over never knowing Yuralria's touch or we can live our lives in exile. At least if we're exiled I know how to provide for her."

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:24 pm
by DSIGFUSS
That is true Tornuaq... You could provide for her in the wild much easier than most in your tribe. You could protect her better than that fool Ogtuk-Luk. In addition, your children will be most powerful... Sons of a valiant hunter and a wise Shaman. Could there be a better match?

In fact...

The voice suddenly shouts out.

Get down Tornuaq! Get down. There are eyes on us.

ooc- roll a ride dog sled roll to stop your sled or do as you please.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:24 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Crap. Failed of course. Rolled an 86%

Tornuaq tries to stop his sled and gets down.

OOC: Worst damn Inuit dog sled driver ever!

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:10 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq rolls off his sled and his dogs continue for about 30 feet before coming to a slow stop themselves. To the west, Tornuaq sees a line of Vikings moving North. There must be 20 of them with no less than four horses between them. They are far enough away that they may not notice Tornuaq and his run away sled. ;)

Then a horn blast echoes across the flat plains from the mountains to the north. The sound is like nothing Tornuaq had ever heard and seems to startle even the Vikings marching towards it.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:40 am
by Andrew
OOC: How far is Tornuaq from the beach still? Also are the Vikings headed in the direction of the Dorset people?

Tornuaq rolled into a crouching position and watched wide eyed at the vikings and then nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of the horn. His instincts told him to run but he knew he wouldn't last long out here on his own. Slowly he made his way to his sled, cursing to himself how he lost control of them again. He also thanked Sedna that they stopped fairly close.

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:27 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc -You are about an hour's sled from the beach. The Vikings are heading North to the mountains. Your tribe is North east. If the Vikings continue along their present course, they will not come within site of the tribe.

As Tornuaq crawls to his sled the voice cautions him.

Careful Tornuaq! The Vikings head North to the mountains. Where the knife beckoned you... There is much legend and lore in those mountains... Gods walk with mortals there! But not your gods....

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:02 am
by Andrew
"If I just understood what the knife was trying to tell me I'd know whether this was stupid or not. For all I know it's trying to tell the Vikings something. I think it's important because when I first fought the Vikings with Thoriin one of them practically searched his body and I'm betting it was for the knife. I believe if nothing else that it must be kept from them at all costs." Tornuaq thought to himself as he slowly crept to his sled.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58 am
by DSIGFUSS
The knife is searching for someone... Viking or Dorset it does not matter. Do not think anything you do to be stupid Tornuaq! You act with your heart at all cost.. Your actions will decide the fate of these lands., we are sure of it, my sister and I.

The Vikings don't notice Tornuaq and soon their backs are to him.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:36 pm
by Andrew
Seeing the vikings go, Tornuaq jumps on his sled and snaps the reins. "Go! Go!" He called out. He had to get the knife then, Thoriin wouldn't have taken it and come here, pratically dying if it was meant to fall to these Vikings.

"I don't know. Running off like this is stupid, talking to a voice in my head that I don't even know who it is is... well maybe not stupid, just insane. However I am glad to have your company even if it's mostly for moral support."

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:11 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The voice in Tornuaq's head continued for most of the trip, telling him even more legends about other Eskimos that had won the hearts of women in their tribe others had thought taboo. Some stories were filled with heroic deeds and others with terrible violence. Tornuaq was surprised to hear the voice later tell a tale about a hunter forcing himself on a Dorset woman. It wasn't the story that Tornuaq thought off, but that the voice told it with such unconcerend cander. The worst part of all was that the story made sense and the hunter justified as the voice told it.

Tornuaq continues for the next hour and finally arrives at the Beach where all the Beluga Whales had beached themselves and he and his brother Unulaq had found Thorrin. The Viking encampment had moved on and a silent cold wind blew through Tornuaq's hair.

ooc- Spot Hidden.

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:31 pm
by Andrew
OOC: You can roll from now on. Every roll I do I fail. Spot Hidden 72% rolled 88%.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:29 am
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- Man! You do fail more rolls in my game than I've ever seen. You even beat one of my characters in Lure of the Nile. :lol: Tell you what. I'll make all the non combat rolls for yah if yah want. Is it just my game that you rool so shitty in or is it everywhwere man? OK then...

Tornuaq pulls up to the same snow bank he had climbed when he had last approached the Thule hunting grounds. All is quiet and the night air bites at his neck as he dismounts his sled. The moon shines bright and full.

I sense something child of the Frozen Rain. Someone else is here and seeks what you seek!

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:39 am
by Andrew
OOC: No I just roll this crappy in your game actually. I never roll great in other games but this is the only one I fail every roll. :)

As Tornuaq began looking around for the other the Voice spoke of, he quietly pulled his sword. He thanked Sedna that it was such a clear night and prayed that if he died she would take him swiftly.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:35 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq surveyed the hunting grounds as he reached the peak of the snow drift. The snow was still stained read from where Tornuaq and Unulaq had fought and killed the Ijiraat polar bear. He had lost most of the memory of the encounter but as he revisited the event in his mind, so close to where it happened, the memories flooded back. Unulaq had valiantly killed the bear while Tornuaq had stood idle, another reason Unulaq would be the better choice as chief.

Do not dispair child of the frozen rain... Your time and your glory will come...

The icey beach was empty. Tornuaq thought he saw a ripple in the water from the corner of his eye but the ocean was as smooth as glass when he turned his head.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:27 am
by Andrew
A chill ran up Tornuaq's spine, he had a feeling that this was going to become a very bad situation. 'Voice, will you still be able to talk to me while I die out here? I don't think I'd like to die alone.' He thought to himself as he went back searching the beach for the knife. 'Dammit Unulaq! Why the hell did you have to hide it out here?'

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:32 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq spends the next few hours searching for the Viking knife on the shore of the Thule Hunting grounds. The voice of the strange Inuit man grows tired of Tornuaq’s relentless search and for a while, Tornuaq is left to his own thoughts. Then just as the sun peeks its head over the horizon the voice whispers.

Do not trust her… She is not like us!

The light of the sun dances off the snow and warms Tornuaq’s to his core. The search becomes easier in the light and the Dorset Hunter is able to cover more ground. As he moves his hands through the snow another voice returns to him; that of a Dorset woman.

You still seek the knife child of the frozen rain? Why is this so important to you?

Tornuaq remembers the beautiful voice had come to him once before when he had pulled himself out of the freezing water. He can barely remember what she had said to him as he shivered in the throws of hypothermia.

ooc – roll Idea

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:44 am
by Andrew
OOC: Oh my fucking God! I can't believe I made a fucking non-crucial roll! I rolled a 36. :)

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:45 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq freezes for a moment as he realizes that the man's voice speaks to him only at night and the woman's only during the day and it hits him harder than any bone club could as the identity of the voices come to him. Malina, the Sun Goddess and Anningan the Moon God. The Gods were speaking to him! What could that mean?

"Because Malina, Goddess of the Sun, I must find it to save my people. I know you hate men but I believe that if I find this knife I will not only save men but women as well. I must find it!" Tornuaq thought as he frantically kept up his search.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:27 am
by DSIGFUSS
Yes, child of the frozen rain. I believe you will save as many as you can. With the light so short in these lands, my time here with you will be brief. You males are all the same... your lust clouds your vision.... No matter what deeds you champion, they will not be enough for the Shaman's heart.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:51 pm
by Andrew
"Never thought I'd say this to a Goddess but... Shut up. You obviously don't know her heart, that much you just told me, thankfully there will be little sun so I do not have to deal with a man hating Goddess. How in the world did I get stuck talking to not only one God but two none the less? I must be going crazy." Tornuaq stated still frantically looking for the knife and now a feeling of desperation was beginning to wash over him. "If you want to do something that helps, help me find this stupid knife!"

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:03 am
by DSIGFUSS
The voice does not answer back but off in the distance about 50 yards away, Tornuaq spots something glint in the snow; a flash of color in the morning light.

As Malina is now certain that Tornuaq has spotted his prize, she continues...

Men are so compulsive. Always one thing on their mind... never truly seeing the big picture, even when it is right in front of them. It is for this reason that my brother continues to pursue me. Do you beleive that if you are relentless enough in your own pursuit of the Shaman's heart, child of the frozen rain, that you will eventual catch the Shaman?

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:53 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq's eyes went wide upon spotting what was hopefully the knife and he quickly took off for the glint, making sure he didn't loose the spot. When he dropped to his knees to inspect what was glinting he said, "It's not a one sided feeling and I know that I can never actually have her. I have already done acts that will get me banished and I do not wish her to live my life of shame or supposed shame. A shaman is a woman on top of being who she is, she should have the right to marry, anyway it's not my rules, I just try to break them as they come along."

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:41 am
by DSIGFUSS
The voice giggles. The peculiar sound sends Tornuaq's mind into a tail spin. What starts as the pleasant chuckling of a child erupts into an etherial cackle... Melodious and terrible, heating the young Dorset Hunter's mind and playing at his heart strings like a long lost lover. The laughter is contagious and Tornuaq soon finds a twisted smile plastered onto his face and he starts to laugh uncontrolably. The feeling was euphoric... as if Tornuaq were breastfeeding from a sea of milk that flowed from the godess Malina like divine inspiration. If ever there was any doubt that Tornuaq was in the presence of a goddess, there now could be none. As Tornuaq held his hands in the snow, Malina released him from her embrace.

ooc - Sanity Check please.

I like you child of the frozen rain... I must admit. A part of me wishes that I was the female who had your soul so entrapped. Were I not such a man hater, I would wish even more for you and I.

Tornuaq's hand touches the hilt of the knife.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:56 am
by Andrew
OOC: Wow... guess what? I failed my sanity check. Weren't you supposed to make the non combat rolls? :)

"Oh Goddess Malina, you do me great honor. I'm just a small man in the world, I could never measure up to the love of a Goddess. Besides, when I'm all alone in exile I will greatly enjoy your company. You'll see, I'll show you that all men aren't bad. I'm a goofy fun loving sort. I've always enjoyed jokes and pranks and try to take little serious, but when I do..." Tornuaq said and then he touched it, the knife!

He pulled it free from the snow and held it before him. "Thank you Malina for helping me find the knife! If there is ever anything you need of me you have but to ask and I will be there for you. You have helped me to save my people from these devil invaders."

Tornuaq then put the knife in his belt and quickly scampered to his dogs. "Now to get back to the village and and discuss the land where the knife showed me. Perhaps the elders, chieftain or other hunters know of the mountain."

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:07 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OOC- Sorry for the long delay Andrew. We're finally caught up and ready to rock and roll. Here's what I've been waiting for. :D

Tornuaq races up the snowy incline, heading towards his sled on the other side of the embankment, his precious dagger held tightly in his hand. The sun god whispers encouraging words.

Keep going child of the Frozen Rain. Soon you will be a light for your people to follow through the coming darkness….. Unless…..

The voice of the sun god giggles to herself.

Oh my!

As Tornuaq reaches the top of the hill he spots Five Viking soldiers making their way up the slope. Two others are going through his things at his sled and three more Vikings stand off a ways East from the others. One of them is missing an arm and seems unnaturally off balance.

Of the Four Vikings charging Tornuaq.

Two carry swords similar to his own, one carries a long wooden axe, another a short double sided axe.

Tornuaq hears one of the three men at the bottom of the hill, away from his sled call out to the Vikings in a gurgled booming voice. Tornuaq’s eyes catch a glint of bright blue skin peeking through gray hair dangling in front of his face.

Koma með hann til mig lifandi

ooc- what do you do.

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:24 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq's eyes go wide and on the spot he invents a new word in the Inuit tongue, "Fuck." He scans the area around him seeing no actual way of escape and thinks to himself, 'Well I'm glad you think this is funny. Looks like I'll get to meet the Gods in person soon enough. Think you can tell Yuralria that I thought of her while I died?'

He'd seen what these Vikings do and knew that surrendering to them was out of the question and talking to them was not an option. Now that they had his sled he was on foot and he knew that those horses they rode would even out run his sled to begin with. His only hope was getting a horse.

looking around frantically for a horse, Tornuaq decided to lead the Vikings on a long goose chase, he hoped to out run them long enough to be able to get close to a horse and quickly get away.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:21 am
by DSIGFUSS
Spot hidden check passed:

Before he turns to run.... Tornuaq's notices (from his vantage point) a horse behind a short drift of snow nearly 50 ft behind the blue skinned Viking. An older looking Norse man holds it's reins and stands ready with his spear planted in the snow.

The voice of Sun godess continues to giggle through Tornuaq's mind.

Surrender Child of the Frozen Rain. giggle giggle! They mean you no harm. giggle giggle!

ooc- roll 1d10 and add your DEX. You could possibly run back down the hill to the beach and then double back. If you avoid the Vikings long enough.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:56 pm
by Andrew
Rolled a 3 plus my dex makes it a 15.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:47 am
by DSIGFUSS
As Tornuaq turns to flee, two of the Vikings are on top of him as he reaches the bottom of the south side of the snow drift. (The Vikings and the horse are on the north side) The Viking with the long axe and one of the swordsmen swing low for Tornuaq's legs. The others are just reaching the top of the drift when Tornuaq is faced with a decision. Fight or Flight.

ooc- roll parry and run or parry and attack.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:02 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Rolled a 13 for parry.

Tornuaq threw up his viking sword to deflect the blow from the viking, feeling the strength of what could have easily been a fatal blow for him and seeing two more running at him, Tornuaq knew his chances were really bad and ran for all he was worth towards the horse, any horse, anything that would get him away from these savages.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:41 am
by DSIGFUSS
The momentum of the Viking's rush was too much for Tornuaq to bear and they were on him quickly. The first blade drected to him was easily parried aside as was the first axe, but as Tornuaq turned to flee, a large stone hammer wrapped in leather and laced with steel came down to bare on him. The last thing the Dorset Hunter hears before he blacks out is laughter and shouts of...

Skraeling!

Go to Chapter 4