Chapter 3 : Sedna's Comb : (Yuralria, Ogtuk-Luk, Unulaq )

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3 : Sedna's Comb : (Yuralria, Ogtuk-Luk, Unulaq)

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Thule village is far away… At least half a day’s march… Still there could be
survivors from the fire who will certainly need help.

Ogtuk-luk drives his spear into the ground.

I could return for the sleds. We could be there in a few hours…

Thorrin calmly walks up to Yuralria and places a hand on her shoulder. Ogtuk-luk quickly shoves him away and points his spear at his chest.

Thorrin holds up his hands and says in perfect Dorset.

Peace! Ogtuk-luk! Peace!
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sashila keeps staring straight down the river while Unulaq calls out to her. Then at the exact moment when the Dorset hunter says the word Sedna, Sashila’s head darts to Unulaq. Her eyes appear hollow and devoid of any thought; much like the Shaman when she enters one of her trances.

Faroo continues to call out to her.

Sashila wake up silly girl. Where are you going?

Sashila does not even notice Faroo. She continues to stare blankly at Unulaq as he drives his dogs even faster to keep up with the kayak. Unulaq is disturbed at the balance the young girl is showing to be standing so straight in a one man kayak. He is not certain even he could perform such a feat without falling into the icy waters.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq scooped up a handful of snow and made a snowball out of it, then hurled it toward Sashila's back hoping to snap her out of it.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by trixie »

Yuralria looks at Thorrin inquisitively, wondering why he might've taken such an interest in her, amongst all the villagers. She pointed to the smoke from the village and then put her hands palms up in the air as though flabbergasted.

"Why Thorrin?"

Who knew if Thorrin could even answer them, but she had a feeling he knew more about this situation than she.
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Throw(25%) (1d100=57, 1d100=83, 1d100=15, 1d100=43)

Unalaq continued talking to the mesmerized girl "Come on, Sashila. We don't have time for this nonsense," as the first snowball fell behind her. He had forgotten to adjust for moving target.

He scooped up some more snow and this time overshot the moving target, the snowball flew a foot in front of her face and landed on the other bank of the river.

His third snowball, however, wasn't so terribly aimed. "You're not leaving me any choice..." he said as he took better aim and whipped the snowball square at her head. He hoped she wouldn't tumble into the waters when it hit.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sashila stares blankly at Unulaq as the first two snowballs whiz past her head. Faroo smiles enjoying the fun, but his smile is not enough to hide the intense look of fear on his face.

Then the third snowball hit Sashilla square in the face.

She topples into the icy water and immediately regains her faculties. Shashila shrieks in terror and scrambles for the kayak. She quickly gets her swimming legs and paddles for the shore. The river is strong however and as she nears the shore she slips under the water as she reaches for the edge of the ice. He eyes widen with fear as her arms flail for help.

Unulaq!
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Thorrin points to the burning Thule village.

margir Víkingur!

He holds out his hands and flashes his fingers in the Shaman's face several times. Ogtuk-luk points his spear at the Viking.

Back off Norseman! Noone touches the Shaman!

Thorrin smiles and grabs Ogtuk-luk's spear shaking it.

margir Norseman!
margir spjóts

He then begins to point at each of his fingers, flashing them wildly in Yuralria's face.

Yuralria...Ogtuk-luk... chief... fólk... dead!

Gera ekki fara til the eldur. Minn fólk vilja drepa þú allur!

Chief Kalituk walks up to Thorrin and Yuralria followed by two of the elders. He looks up at the Shaman and grips his spear tightly.

The Thule! No!

He grabs Thorrin and throws him to the snow.

Unulaq found a Thule spear in his belly. The Thule hunted this Norseman and now they burn!

The Dorset people stay in their ranks, two by two, snaking across the great white plains. The shocking gasps of surprise, fear and anger quickly ripples down the Dorset line like a wave of paranoia.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq stopped his sled once he saw she fell in the water and ran to meet Sashila's pace in the river's current. When he saw her arms flailing helplessly, Unalaq plunged his own arms into the water in hopes of grasping her and pulling her to safety.

ooc: I hope she's close enough to grab, because I don't think getting wet before a long dog sled ride is a good idea. What should I roll against?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc- Make a grapple check at +10% cuz she's reaching for you. If you miss... well umm... don't miss. :evil:
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria tries hard to understand what Thorrin is saying and thinks she might have a clue. When he gets pushed to the ground by the elder, she stoops to help him up and replies crossly, "Stop! You've no idea that it is his fault! And you needn't be cruel either!"
Last edited by trixie on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unulaq reaches for Sashila as she approaches the ice bank but her fingers just barely slip through his own. Her hand scrapes along the side of the ice as she struggles to keep herself from slipping under.

Faroo is racing alongside Unulaq on his dogsled. He reaches back into his sled and retrieves a blanket hoping it will be of some help. He holds it out for Unualaq in case he might need it.

ooc- Roll luck. If you succeed you get an additional +10% to your grapple. If you fail your grapple % drops 10%. So if you pass your luck check, your grapple will be 65%. If you fail it will be 45%.

ooc- I just recently found out from a rules junkie buddy of mine that if you score a critical roll on a luck check your power increases… so keep that in mind when rolling.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Chief Kalituk stares at Yuralria with anger in his eyes. He looks around and realizes the effect he is having on his people. He drops his head.

Apologies Shaman… I have many friends among the Thule. This Norseman’s people did this. He is as much to blame as his white brothers.

Yuralria looks around to see eyes filled with fear and heads nodding in agreement with their chief.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

"You may forget, I also have friends in the Thule, Chief Kalituk." Yuralria says it quietly, looking around uncertainly at the growing number of villagers that she is quickly losing popularity with. "But this man was with us for the last two days. He is not to blame, and yet you've blamed him without even understanding the words he says."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Ick... Luck (50%) (1d100=83)
Grapple check (45%) (1d100=62)

Unalaq shouts out her name, "Sashila!" He grasps for her hand and plunges his arm into the water grasping again but he's lost her. "NO!" he exclaimed slamming his fist down on the ice. Without a moment's thought of the potential deadliness of his actions, Unalaq kicked his boots and jacket off and plunged into the frigid water as he tried to get ahold of the girl before it was too late.

Swim (40%) (1d100=24)
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Chief Kalituk looks back at his people and calms himself after Yuralria’s response to his outburst.

My apologies Shaman. You are right…. I acted with my heart and not my head! We all have lost friends in Thule if that is what burns so brightly in the distance. Unulaq said we should trust this Norseman and that we will need him. He will help us through these dangerous and difficult times. Maybe he is right. Thorrin saved Tornuaq but he is also hunted by his own people. For what crime I can only guess? Still, I find it difficult to trust Thorrin. If he has betrayed his own people then how can we know he won’t betray us as well in the end? This matter is far too twisted in destiny and magics for me to decide our course. I will accept your decision on this matter Shaman… no matter the consequence.

Chief Kalituk bows low to the Shaman and the line of Dorset people follow him… lowering their heads and offering quiet prayers to the goddess Sedna, whom Yuralria is supposed to be meeting in just under 4 hours.

The Elders seem like they are on the verge of saying something disagreeable but they quickly fall into place and bow as the Dorset tribe pledges their allegiance to Yuralria.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unulaq dives into the frigid cold waters of the Weasel River. The intensity of the cold hits him like a freefalling walrus. His head explodes with tiny prickles of paralyzing pain as he immediately feels his muscles begin to tighten. His instincts quickly take over and Unulaq begins to swim to Sashila.

Faroo leaps off his own dogsled and begins to run along side Unulaq and Sashila. Unualaq spots Sashila panicking near the edge of the ice. In just a few more moments she would have been under and lost forever to Unulaq and his people. Unulaq’s skill in the water quickly allows the Dorset hunter to catches up to her and he grabs hold of her furs. Unulaq’s hands slide along the edge of the ice. He doesn’t have the strength to pull both himself and Sashila out of the water. Faroo reaches out with his blanket.

Grab the blanket Unulaq!

ooc- roll Grapple +30% to grab hold of the blanket. A fairly easy task. (Very risky maneuver! Good thing you passed your swim check.)
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc: Those dice gnomes are angry with me I think... but luckily, not too angry.

Grapple (45 + 30 = 75%) (1d100=67)

Unalaq worked his arm through Sashila's furs so that even if his grip weakened she would still be pulled out - or his arm would be pulled off in the process. Then he grabbed ahold of the blanket and spun his arm around twice to wrap the blanket around his other arm. Now, he held on with all he was worth and hoped Faroo could pull them both to safety. Every second counted in this frigid waters.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Faroo pulled with all his might until finally Unualaq was able to get a proper footing in the ice. Then with a howl from Faroo that could have toppled a mountain of snow, the Dorset Hunter pulled them free of the river.

Without warning Faroo quickly began to strip off Unulaq and Sashila’s clothing, caring little for whatever embarrassment they may be feeling. Confused and freezing, Sashila reached out and scratched at Unulaq’s face, leaving two deep raking slashes in his cheek.

Unulaq was more in control of his actions than the Dorset woman. He had only been in the river for a short time but even still, his muscles were tense. If he was forced into battle, he would not do well… he had to warm up and quickly.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq tried crawling toward his dog sled. He knew the blankets there would be dry and warm. "C-c-come, S-s-sashill-ll-lla," he beckoned her. Together, they would regain their body heat quick enough... he hoped.

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”