Chapter 3 : Sedna's Comb : (Yuralria, Ogtuk-Luk, Unulaq )

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3 : Sedna's Comb : (Yuralria, Ogtuk-Luk, Unulaq )

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Once Ogtuk-luk is far enough ahead of the tribe he stops pulling Yuralria and lets her go.

Forgive me Shaman.

Ogtuk-luk looks back to the tribe and nods to someone. Most likely the chief or an elder but Yuralria cannot be sure. He continues to walk beside Yuralria as they make their way to the combing ceremony. He speaks in a very serious, yet solumn tone.

I do not wish to see the same thing happen to you that happened to Aglakti. If the elders wish it, you will be banished. Do you understand this? I love you like a daughter. But there is nothing I can do if they wish it so! Must I challenge Tornuaq to finally end this? He is a friend... but I will call him out for the sake of the tribe. I will run him through if it means our Shaman will be whole once again. It would break my heart to do this but I will. Do you understand?
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by trixie »

Yuralria blinks back tears, continuing to trudge ahead, and hangs her head shamefully.

"Yes."
she replies meekly, feeling very wary of returning to the villagers. How could they have seen! Weren't they ten paces away?

"I didn't mean to! I don't want to be banished, Ogtuk-luk! I couldn't live anywhere else but the tribe! I fear.....I have slit my own throat!"

She sobs, horrified at the thought of being sent away from the group, and rubs her nose on the sleeve of her fur. "I'm so sorry! I'm just....so sorry!"
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Otuk-Luk nods and walks silently with Yuralria for a time, reflecting on her sincerity.

It will be as the Elders say then? Everything will change after you comb the godesses hair.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

"Yes.....everything will change." But it won't! It will be this way forever! I'll always have to run from love....and it's not fair!

Yuralria's face becomes drawn and her eyes seem hollow. If he were to look at her, he'd notice tears running down her cheeks, but she doesn't cry or make any sound at all in fact. Her heart aches.

I'd have to run away...run from everyone I know and everything I have....I'd have to give up everything to be with him....including my powers....including Alornerk! Well...maybe I could steal her away with me....but still! It seems so impossible...and yet I wish it weren't with every fibre of me!
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Oblivious to the state of things behind him, Unalaq only glanced over his shoulder every few minutes to make sure they were following along. His attention was more focused on what was ahead, and on each side... he would be alert for any ambushes, and hopefully if the Norsemen were preparing something ugly, they would bear down on him, offering the rest of his tribe the chance to escape or prepare for battle.

He had no idea that Tornuaq had ran off again. He determined not to think about Sashilla, for she was just an unneeded distraction right now. He couldn't fathom what Yuralria was going through, but she was in the worst position of all. It was her problem now. She was foolish enough to act upon her emotions in the open... she would have to deal with the results.

The seasoned hunter/warrior was dedicated to his task, putting all other concerns out of his mind. There would be time for all that drama later. It's just too bad that Tornuaq would be long gone by the time he would know about it.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Dorset People watch as Tornuaq gets on his sled and rides off. No one tries to stop him as they are all overcome with powerful feelings of fear and betrayal for what the Dorset Hunter had done.

Yuralria and Unulaq then move with the tribe through the snowy plains, Yuralria in the lead and Unualaq even further ahead on point. The Dorset people’s spirits were lower than it had been in countless years until finally they arrive at the shore and the combing ceremony grounds; the birthplace of the goddess Sedna. Unulaq stays off to the side, watching for any sign of movement in the snow. He sees that Faroo is doing the same with Maniitok. Tensions are extremely high.

All eyes turn to Yuralria and Ogtuk-luk as she approaches the snow covered beach.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq headed over to Maniitok and asked, "Did you see what happened to Tornuaq? I don't see him anywhere." He glanced around again looking over all those gathered and couldn't pick Tornuaq out from the crowd. He wondered if maybe he had snuck off with Yuralria, but then realized that he saw the Shaman head off to do her duties. Tornuaq wouldn't have dared tresspass at that point. It might not be certain death, but it was certain banishment if they pushed the rules that far.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria stands at the beach for a moment, turning to Ogtuk-luk, and looks into his eyes fearfully for a second. It would be him and only him that could give her strength at this point. It was only he that could possibly understand her.

She turned to face her people. A quick scan of the crowd to find Tornuaq left her wondering in a panic where he was. She dismissed the thought as soon as it occurred to her. If she knew Tornuaq he was lurking, hiding his face from the gossip of the everyday folk. He was not like them, not concerned with other people and the daily murmuring about her. He was better than that.

She felt the urge to speak to her people. To calm their fears. But what could she possibly say at this point to change their minds of her? It would only sound hollow, especially if she were to address what they were likely whispering amongst themselves. She felt the urge to run, rip her hair from her head, or do equally spontaneous things, but fought the rising doom she felt and stepped forward.

"It is an honor to be here before you this day. To take our people's respects to Sedna, and to ask her blessing is something I have wished to do for all my years. It is with great respect that I stand before you, for you all have stood behind me, through many trials. I ask you, again, to stand behind me through this one."

She looks at the crowd and stands proud. She hoped she didn't appear like a hollow buffoon, but it was all she had.

She turned away, and removed her shoes. Then on to her coat. The process took several minutes to remove her furs and the layers underneath, and she had much time to think of things as she did. The ice cold water lapped at her bare foot as she stood, and she cringed inwardly. It's madness to swim in this water! Madness!

She took one last deep breath, standing naked before her village's people, then yelled loudly, "To Sedna!" With that she dove in, and nearly lost her breath as the ice cold water hit her like ten thousand knives penetrating.

I'm surely going to die....
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq watched Yuralria dive in and it brought back a reminder of the frigid waters he dove in to save Sashilla just a few hours ago. He did not envy the Shaman, but felt a strange sensation of respect for her. Despite going against traditional ways, she was still facing death to serve Sedna. Soon, everyone would know one way or another how Sedna felt of the Shaman's shameless exhibition of emotions.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Mannitok looks off into the distance. There are few places a Dorset Hunter could hide.

I thought Tornuaq was paroling the tribe just as we were doing. He must have taken off again. I do ot blame him Unulaq. It must be very difficult for him. To love someone who is forbidden love... Sashila will be so disappointed now that every one has seen their love out n the open. I fear for both of them. No matter what the tribe believes... He will always have my friendship... You as well brother... There are no two hunters I trust more than you and Tornuaq... Once this is done we will have to stand by him Unulaq... Do not despair though brother.

Maniitok grins wide.

Now that Tornuaq has made up his mind, the contest for my sister's heart will be that much easier to win.

ooc- Spot Hidden Unulaq.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq lost his smile as Mannitok spoke about trust... trust in the man who effectively raped his sister. He wanted to tell what happened, but felt ashamed... so he looked away instead.
Now that Tornuaq has made up his mind, the contest for my sister's heart will be that much easier to win.

"Great, so I am reduced to a consolation prize. Wonderful," the hunter said scanning the countryside.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc - Spot Hiddenroll for Unulaq. (rolled an 08) Sorry Imp... good roll though!

Mannitok laughs out loud!

Hah! Unulaq... First boy to kill a cariboo in the Hunt since before my father's time... Slayer of the Ijiraat..... Future chief of the Dorset Tribe.... Consulation Prize! Ha Ha Ha!

Mannitok's eyes follow Unulaq own as he surveys the plains and both hunters stop on something in the distance. A shape dressed in furs with long black hair blowing wildly and unkept in the wind. Both hunters knew her immediately by the shape and decorative hangings of her spear. It was Aglakti.... The exiled Dorset Shaman.

Aglakti had been banished from the Dorset tribe when the Elders learned that a Shadow Bear had made travel to the spirit world all but impossible for the Shaman. WIthout access to the spirit world, she was all but useless to the tribe and the Elders did what they thought was right. The were mixed reactions from the tribe. She had many supporters amongst the Dorset people but all were afraid of what the arrival of the Shadow Bear would mean for the tribe.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The cold hits Yuralria like a thousand knives, biting and scratching her skin as she plunges into the sea. In the deep, a light shines like a star in the sky. Her mind rolling from the shock of the cold, her muscles tightening, Yuralria swims instinctively towards it's shining glow. She swims and swims in a maddeing panic; down and deeper into the bay.

Then a warmth washes over her and fills her with a love she knew all too well. It sustained her as she swam closer. A host of white Belugas swam about her circling playfully and chirping their wonderful song. Seals circled the whales and darted frighteningly close to Yuralria's face before turning sharply awaythrowing bubbles at the Shaman with such delight. A Killer Whale so large, Yuralria's heart skipped a beat, lumbered below her, turning on its side to get a better look.

It bellowed Yuralria before slowly floating past her. Yuralria could see the glowing red of it's eyes as it stared curiously at her. An Ijiraat.

Then all the animals of the sea began to suddenly disperse as the light began to dim and a beautiful woman, slender and just as bare and exposed as Yuralria, appeared below her.

Come Closer! Child of the Frozen Rain! It has been too long!
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria reached out on her dive to the bottom to touch the nose of one of the belugas lightly. She felt mesmerized with their adorable whistles and suddenly felt a deep spiritual connection with them as they swam round her and circled her body. She felt overwhelmed with emotion as the warmth grew inside of her. She'd remembered Aglakti telling her of this moment. Oh! What an honour to be here....to be entrusted with such a priveledge!

She swam closer to Sedna, and felt the urge to suck her breath in at the Goddess' beauty. Small bubbles escaped her mouth as she stared intensely at her, then swam closer to the sea bottom and knelt before her, her head down to rest on the top of one knee.

"Sedna! I bring greetings and the respect paid of my people. We are so grateful for your guidance."
After a moment she carefully raised her head to look up at Sedna cautiously.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq pointed to the distance and called so that the others of the tribe could hear, "Aglakti!" He turned to face the tribe and announced, "Aglakti is coming this way!"

Hefting his spear up, he started to run toward the exiled shaman. It was best if he found out first if it were some sort of trick... maybe the Ijiraat in disguise. He slowed his run as he closed the distance. When he felt he was at a distance where he could hold a conversation without having to strain to hear, he stopped altogether. "Aglakti! It is good to see you again. I have been praying that you have been looked after by the gods. Why are you here? The Elders will not be pleased."

With his back to the rest of the tribe, he doubted any of them heard what he was saying, but it was probably better that way. He was one of those who felt exiling the shaman was unfair and cruel. And perhaps that was why he treated Yuralria with distrust. Was that why he had an urge to see her fail as a Shaman? Perhaps... it was something that Unalaq would have to meditate on later.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sedna holds out her arms and draws the Shaman in close. Yuralria can see an ivory comb hanging round the goddesses neck, resting on her naked chest. As the Shaman draws near, Sedna intertwines her arms with Yuralria's own. Feelings of motherly love and jealous rage flow through the Shaman as Sedna holds her. Judgement and hate, warmth and sex. Feelings of sadness and abadonment, lust and thirst for vengeance. She runs her fingerless hands through the Shaman's long dark hair and whispers softly in her ear; her voice like a thousand Belugas singing each verberation of the Dorset tongue and echoed though a seashell.

Take it and know your people. Hold it and know the gods. Use it and know me...
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria couldn't help but choke up at the plethora of mixed emotions and conflicted feelings she experienced in a matter of moments. Her head spun with the emotions she felt, her heart thumped loudly with the wanton feeling of desire, and her blood pumped fiercely through her and made her feel lightheaded. She could feel her own heart pump so loudly, she felt sure Sedna would hear it's own reverberations through the water. She tried to squelch the sensation of wanting to take a deep breath, or gulp for air. With shaky hands and a shameful heart heavy with lust, vengeance and sadness, she carefully took the ivory comb in her hands and held it there for a moment, staring at it thirstily. Was this where the secrets lay? In Sedna's comb? She tried to filter her own feelings from the confusing ones. She tried to sift the good from the bad. She concentrated hard on it. It was important the goddess didn't know these hurtful feelings of hers. It was important she had a pure heart as she combed the goddess' hair.

She smiled shyly, holding the comb between clasped fingers, and looked at Sedna carefully. "You are so beautiful," she managed to stammer, with a few bubbles floating from her mouth.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

As Yuralria takes the comb a rush of memories flood her mind. Memories of her people... Past Shamans, elders, hunters, and families. She recalls deeds performed by her people in Sedna's name for good and evil. Then one memory slows and Yuralria finds herself watching a Dorset Hunter climb the face of a mountain. Snow falls all around Agllolik as he pushes himslef up the cliffside, the chieftain's spear on his back.
His hand finally reaches flat ground as he pulls himslef up to a small plateau near the mountain's peak. Yuralria can feel Agloolik's ehaustion as he finally stands and views his surroundings, panting from the climb.
His eyes widen as he takes it all in. All around him, Agloolik saw statues of men holding swords like Thorrin's and suited in even heavier armour. They looked so real, as if they might come alive. Yuralria could feel his heart pounding inhis chest. Hundreds of carved rocks, perfectly fitted, form walls and corners so sharp, Agloolik was afraid to touch them. It was a garden like none she had seen. A path of massive flat square stones lined end to end made a path that led into the mountain. Two stone collums marked the entrance.

Agloolik gathered his courage and then followed the path holding the chieftain's spear out in front of him. As he approached a Black Wolf emerged from the dark tunnel. The beast stood taller than Agloolik and Yuralria felt the hunter's courage quickly fade as his mind rolled with fear and despair.

The Wolf then opened his jaws and through long sharp teeth he spoke to Agloolik. Yuralria could not hear the beast over the pounding of Agloolik's heart. The wolf moved closer continuing his rant and Agloolik just stared in horrified disbelief. Then fear turned to anger and he raised his spear shouting at the top of his lungs.

That's not true.... That's impossible!

The wolf laughs...

Now Die!

His Black hair stands on end before he lunges at Agloolik. Agloolik stabs his spear deep into the belly of the wolf and beast howls in pain. Both the wolf and the hunter then tumble over the cliff side......

Yuralria comes out of her trance and Sedna is smiling down at her, cradling the Shaman in her arms like she would her own child.

Do you see?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

"The Bear God is that which has haunted me, he is diseased with some vile pestilence," says Aglakti in a low voice. "Creatures in dragon ships come bearing monsters. Alien Gods stalk our lands, demanding my worship and my deference, and who state they have spoken to the new shaman. My only guide in survival is now the lijiraat for even our Gods are diseased or hidden from me. Sedna's wisdom has guide me in this, thus, it is not the Elders I worry about..."
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq nodded and waved for Aglakti to follow, "Despite what the elders might say, I think we need to band together to find the answers necessary. Yuralria has just went down to be with Sedna and comb her hair. A lot has happened in the past couple days. These men from another place with yellow hair and shiny stone formed as coats and pants have come riding large beasts, also wearing the shiny stone. This stone they wear is harder than our strongest weapons. They are called Norse men. We have one with us named Thorrin, but he is unlike the others. He says he worships the one called Odin, and the others... the evil Norse... they worship one called Loki. We cannot speak Thorrin's language, but the others have put a curse on Torgusak, the young one, and he can speak both languages for the time being. Thorrin says in time the boy will forget his native tongue." He looked to the Shaman and asked, "Do you know anything of a black wolf? I saw one earlier today, and I think it is somehow tied to all of this."

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”