Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Fenris Wolf lunges for Osvauld but it's gaping maw, twice as wide as Osvald, snaps shut just inches from the Viking's chest. Osvauld turns and nimbly grabs hold of the silver spear. As he pulls th espear free, the wolf howls out in pain. The hulking beast turns to face Osvauld and frothing in his own fury, the Fenris Wolf circles him again, waiting and taunting the Viking lietenant.

RRRRRAARRRRRRRGH! You think to stick me with that Viking? Perhaps.... Baldir once tried with the very same spear! Did you know that a god once held what you hold now little Osvauld. Heh! Heh! Heh!

The Fenris wolf pauses, realizing what he has said and smirks.

You have eaned that Viking! To have your name on my tongue! So much of you I would like on my tongue... but we will start with your name.... Osvauld!

Then I will taste your HEART!

The Fenris Wolf lunges at Osvauld, madness and savagery beyong mortal comprehension deep in his blood shot eyes.

ooc- 1) Combat Options.

You can take the hit and set the spear. (double damage if you hit) He gets no parry.
You can attack and parry with your shield. He gets a parry.
You can dodge and parry.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Piano man »

Alrik makes his way over the sarcophagus and attempts to read the ruins. Men search the weapons for ones that fit your needs. If we can't find another way out we may have to join Osvauld in his fight. Maybe these ruins will give me a hint how to lure the wolf and tie him back up. As far as I can tell that is the silk that he was bound with before so we may be able to pull it off.

ooc read ruins rolled a 6 :D http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1749756/
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by imme »

Osvauld is momentarily shaken by the fury of Fenris' speech, but as the beast begins to lunge Osvauld finds that the familiarity of combat brings back his confidence. If this is to be his last fight, it is truly a worthy one, and his is blessed to fight it with the weapon of a god. He sets the spear and braces for the Wolf's hit.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Alrik reads the runes aloud...

Tyr
God of the Norse
Son to Odin
Strength

Through strength of blood did Tyr come to know the Wolf Fenrir. Through strength of mind did Tyr summon the courage to feed it. Through strength of character did Tyr befriend the wolf. Through strength of heart did Tyr bind him. Through strength of soul did Tyr leave him.

Outside the door, Osvauld plunges his spear into the thick flesh of the Fenris Wolf. (22 damage)The wolf yelps like a young pup as the emerald spear digs deep, finding the tenderest of tissue. Furous, the Fenris wolf snapped for Osvauld's throat. The wolf's teeth were like spear's in their own right, as long and sharp as the very tip Osvauld used to pierce the wolf god. His jaws closed down on Osvauld's shield arm piercing his mail as if it were just a second layer of skin. (9 damage)
mikc
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by mikc »

Hearing Osvauld's screams, Weoulf cries out, "What are we doing, hiding in here like old mothers while our valiant comrade faces the beast alone? There is no place in Valhalla for cowards! Alrik!" he turns to address the Bard, "Open the door and let us aid Osvauld in defeating the beast ... or die a hero's death trying!"

The Viking moves toward the doors, impatient to get back out and test his mettle.

I'll never live the shame down if I cower in a vault while my comrade is ripped asunder outside!
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik flashes Weoulf a look of rage. What the fuck do you think I'm trying to do. We need to figure out a way to stop the wolf, and I think I'm close. If we go out there unprepared than everything Osvauld has done will be for nothing. If he goes to the gates of Valhalla today I will not do something stupid to take away from his honor.

Turning back to the runes he barks his orders again. Now look through these weapons and find one that you can use or by Odin's beard I'll kill you myself. The rest of you men be ready. I'm going to open the door again as soon as I prepare something. Don't hold any fancies in killing this beast. Not even the gods could best it, but maybe we can trick it and bind it once again with the silk cord tied to the slab over there.

Alrik nods to himself and stands looking at the men. Once they all have weapons chosen he'll make his way to the door. Find something to pack your ears with. I'm am going to be using magic, and I don't need you all to fall under it's power. Once the door is open I'll begin the spell. Hopefully it takes the fight out of the wolf and we can lure it back in here and tie it up where it is supposed to be. Any questions. Alrik looks around at each man in the eyes making sure they've listened to him.

As an after thought he turns to his men. If this doesn't work then run. I will hold it off as long as I can, but we cannot defeat this creature in a battle with weapons. It is just not possible.
mikc
Keeper
Keeper

Post by mikc »

Weoulf looks for a battle-axe that appears better than his own and stuffs some old rag in his ears.
He awaits Alrik's signal.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Henrik »

"Right then." Orm tries to find a good sword and a shield.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Weoulf searches quickly for a suitable axe and spots three hanging on the wall. Two to the left of a large plain circular shield and the third mounted on the shield itself.

A short double bladed axe covered in runes hangs to the shield's left. It seems to vibrate in the torchlight, the thin shadows behind it dancing with anticipation.

A large black polished great axe with very few distinguishing features save a single band of gold hangs to the the right of the shield. It looks heavier a more solid than any weapon Weoulf had seen before.

And between the two axes resting on a plain brown shield is fixed a one handed battle axe, aged and marked with a simple rune

Image Image

ooc - Orm see pm.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc - Osvauld your actions please. (Strike, Parry, and Witty Banter) (I'll do damage if you hit)

Alrik begins the first line to the Song of Tyr. Only when he has finished all four lines will the vault door open. He voice sounds clear and tight in the air sealed chamber but every note is perfectly calculated through the lips of the bard.

if I see in a tree
mikc
Keeper
Keeper

Post by mikc »

ooc - can Weoulf read the runes on the axes? (Have write Nordic Runes 21%)
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Osvauld hardly notices the major damage done to his arm because of the thrill of having truly wounded the Wolf. "Ah, beast, it seems you do have a soft spot after all. And you bleed." Osvauld moves to sink the spear more deeply into the hairy flesh.

strike, parry (70) (1d100=13, 1d100=54)
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Not finding any suitable weapon Orm's eyes again turn towards Odin's spear Gungnir. It is not meant for mortal men and it could probably mean death and madness, but what is there to do? Times are desperate. "Give me strength, Odin, Tyr and Thor!" Orm prays and grabs the spear yet again.

OOC: Of course I want to go for a ride into madness, oh keeper!
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Alrik searches the room as well as he belts out the notes to the song of Tyr. He sees four bows amongst the hoarde of weapons and ancient treasures.

One leaing on Tyr's sealed tomb. A Black bow carved clean with little markings save scoring of combat. No quiver can be seen.

A second bow carved to resemble a Dragon hanging on the wall near one of the torches sconces. No quiver can be seen

A third bow hangs on the wall as well. Both the bow and quiver are carved from silver and runes can be seen clearly on it's length.

The final bow sits on a pile of gold, half covered in treasure and tied to the strings of a sparkling helm. It looks simple, wrapped in leather with more of a burlap sac for a quiver.

Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik grabs the fourth bow and quiver. As well he takes the helm and places it on his head.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Alrik stabs out with his spear and finds wolf flesh once more. His spear slashes at the wolf's shoulder as the Fenris wolf decides to lash out with both claws.(choosing not to defend himslef) The centuries old spear spills bloodbefore Osvauld returns it to a more defensive angle.

oc - 7 damage to Fenris wolf. Total 29 damage.

Osvauld can hear the applause of the gods, as if a window to Valhalla had opened high above him and the immortals were watching his every move with eager anticipation.

The Wolf seems to hear it too as he look up. Snarling his resentment the wolf continues his clawed advance on the Viking. Both paws would have found their mark resulting in a killing strike but Osvauld braces his spear and deflect one. The other rakes across his face leaving a long three pronged scar over his eye. His helm is torn in half and falls to the solid stone floor with a clank!

oc - 2 damage to Osvauld's face. Total 10 damage.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm shouts:"Let's get a move on!" It seems as the old grizzled viking is getting eager to draw blood.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Weoulf examines the runes writen on the double bladed short axe first. He can't make out much of the rune combinations that often indicate magical power but he does read the words Dwarf and Forged repeating several times in the inscription.

The third more simpler looking axe bears four runes and Weoulf understand their meaning.

Together they form a an idea. The strnegth of will in travellers brings a strong desire for power. It is most definitely a charm of some sort. ( A magical weapon) It's power is still a mystery.
mikc
Keeper
Keeper

Post by mikc »

Weoulf takes up the third axe and the shield and prepares for battle.

If I am to die this day, the Bards will sing of Weoulf Skrimgeour and the valiant deeds which secured his place in Valhalla!
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Osvauld keeps a strong grip on the spear and uses his shoulder to wipe some of the blood from his eye. The claw marks bleed profusely, and quickly that side of his face is covered in blood again. Nevertheless, his clear eye gazes up at the Wolf and he grins. "I told you at the beginning, beast. Regardless of the outcome, this fight will result in my victory and nothing but dripping wounds for you."

strike, parry (70) (1d100=97, 1d100=90) dun dun dun ...

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”