Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Orm grasps the golden spear in his hand and all his suspicions are made true. He now holds the mighty Gungnir...

Images of the past flood uncontrolably through the Viking's mind...
It is nearly too much for Orm to bare.

Odin on his throne whispering to his ravens to find a suitable resting place for Gungnir... a place where the spear will wait impatiently for the coming of the Ragnarok.

Held by ordinary men to whom Odin thought it amusing to place the spear in their grasp. driving them mad with power... longing to return to its rightful master. Always finding it's way home to him....

Found long ago and given to Odin by Tyr, Norse god of Justice as he passes on the throne of the sky to his Viking Lord.

The memories dig deeper into Orm's mind and become increasingly dificult and painful to understand.

Held by the Valkries.... The face of Orm's beloved holding firm to Gungnir, delivering the souls of the fallen to the halls of Valhalla... This image stays with Orm for a time as his wife rides through the fires of Nifelhelm, on top a giant winged steed, holding the spear high...

To the dwarves.. who had taken a spear from a simpler folk... forged it anew as a gift to the gods.

Back to its creation... to the lands of ice and snow... A Skraeling had roped it... His son had held it..... Never for war.. but for the hunt... To its people Gungnir would do no harm.

ooc- Sanity check! 5/1d10 +5
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Weolf loosed his first arrow and it suck effortlessly into the backside of the Fenris wolf. He paid it no mind as he continued his blood lustful advance on Osvauld. As Weoulf stretched back his second arrow, his string snapped in two... the thin wire lashing back at his face leaving a nasty scar.

Osvauld dug his sword deep into the Wolf's chest. Blood poured from the fresh wound like a river as he pulled his sword free. The wound then suddenly stopped bleeding, as soon as the steel left the wolf's thick fur. Osvauld had been in enough battles, killed enough men to know that something was wrong. It would take many blows to bring this creature down.

The noble Viking, however, was buying his kinsmen time and doing a good job of it.

The Fenris wolf snapped at Osvauld's throat. The sound of the great beasts jaws closing was not unlike a hammer to an anvil. It rung through Osvauld's ears. Osvauld raised his shield and the wolf's jaws snapped short. The weight of the beast knocked him back.

ooc- Weoulf actions...

ooc- Osvauld (damage from last attack 1d8 +1d4) Plus roll attack, parry, damage for next round. Also please roll a DEX x4 to stay on your feet.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Alrik continue his song... He completed the second line as the door squeeled and hissed, moving a few more inches closed.

a corpse from a halter hanging,
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by imme »

Osvauld did not expect this fight to be easy; in fact, it is probably impossible for him to defeat this beast. He grits his teeth and keeps fighting.

ooc: last round of damage was 10. failed DEX roll. successful attack and parry, if those still count. damage (if inflicted) is 10. attack, parry (75), DEXx4=44 (1d100=31, 1d100=16, 1d100=51), damage from last round and for new round (1d8 1d4=10, 1d8 1d4=10)
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Henrik »

All images in his head and Orm tries to hold on to himself and his identity, but this is a weapon crafted for Gods, not for mortal men. How can he Orm wield Gungnir?

Orm's first San Check! (1d100=59) Pass the check, but -5 San then!

I guess this is needed:

Idea roll (1d100=4) I pass that as well!
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc - OK Orm! Roll 1d10.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Pick your insanity! (1d10=9)

OOC:Ha ha ha! Strange or deviant eating desires! Give me your worst dear keeper!
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Weoulf, keeled over from the bow strap to the face, fumbles for a moment while Alrik begins the third line of Tyr's song.(of 4).

but old age leaves him not long in peace

The door to the chmaber grinds aginst the stone floor closing another foot. One more line and the door will be closed, trapping all those outside it with the Fenris Wolf.

The Wolf advances on Osvauld, his jaws snapping ferociously. Osvauld manages to raise his shield keeping the massive wolf-god's teeth from finsing it's mark. From the corner of his eye he spots Berger racing to the door holding his helm in both hands. Liquid splashes all about the big lummox as he drunkenly squeezes through the quickly fading space in the door.

Osvauld cuts the wolf's ear and more blood drips down on his face. This just seems to enrage the beast who growls and taunts the Viking with every foul breath.

I can smell your piss Viking! Are you afraid to die alone? I will lap the blood from your own steel. I will feast on your spine!

Berger smiles at Alrik and raises his helm to some invisible party goer and takes another healthy swig of strong smelling alcohol.

Made it! Slurp! Slurp! Huff Huff! Huff! Slurp! Slurp!

Orm seems in a daze.. holding Gungnir firmly in both hands.

The Raven flies high to the top of the pillars calling feverishly to Osvauld. The bird seems almost panicked.

Osvauld! Osvauld! Osvauld! To Osvauld! Valhalla welcomes you!

ooc- The door will be closed after Alrik finishes the fourth and final line to Tyr's song! (At the end of the next round)

ooc- Osvauld. I will need your actions. All strike and parry is at -10% because you are still prone. If you try to get up you will either have to give up your strike or your parry unless you roll a DEX x3.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Osvauld seems to become more calm as he lets fate take over. "Our final journey is always alone. I fear nothing."

He attempts to rise, but can't manage to do so. Because of his falter he misses his chance to strike the Beast again, but brings is sword up in time to block the next advance of the Wolf.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Berger!" Orm shouts. "Do you have any more of that foul-smelling piss you call beer? We've got to some wolf hunting to do! But first I need a drink!" Orm moves towards the first source of beer can he find. He is the a look of frenzy in his eyes, like that of the fabled berserkers.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Berger tries to pull the helmet full of sweet smelling spirits from Orm. The two wrestle for a moment and Orm gets a taste... as the alcohol hits his lips he feels a an overwhelming sense of satisified relief. Not the same thing a drunk might feel, but instead a beggar gone without food for days, finally offered a crumb.

Berger finally let's go of his Helm and Orm begins to drain it... drinking like a man pulled from the desert.

Fine! Fuck your mother Orm! Take it! There's plenty in this place. I've had me fill anyhow....

Sigfurd, now torch in hand, fumbles amongst the gold coins for another weapon, soon to find out that they are everywhere. He reaches for a spear, buried half in gold and pulls it free. He doesn't have time to notice the runes carved up the length of the shaft or the giant saphire forming a tip at the spear's head. Nor could he even tell that the spear's entire length was trimmed with silver and sparkled in the torchlight as he quickly launches it at the hulking Black Wolf; Osvauld struggling beneath it. The sear flies through the air and strikes it's mark, burying itself deep into the shoulder of the wolf. The wolf rolls off Osvauld as the door begins to make its final movement.

though spears may spare his life.

Then as Alrik finishes the song of Tyr, the door to the chamber slams shut, trapping Orm, Sigfurd, Berger, Weoulf and Alrik inside the chamber and leaving Osvauld outside... with the Fenris Wolf.

Sigfurd calls out to his captain..

Osvauld! Noooooo....

but is silenced as the seal to the chamber closes tight.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Fenris wolf leaps at the door as it closes snapping ferociously and scratching at the hinges to no effect. He then turns back to Osvauld as he gets to his feet. He circles the Viking warrior as he taunts him.

Your friends have abondoned you Viking... Do you think to best me with that? For centuries I have waited for my father's Our reunion will bathe this world in fire and blood!

Munin flies high over head chanting Osvauld's name over and over... A breeze blows through the temple from the eastern most door.

Osvauld! Osvauld! Osvauld!

ooc - Osvauld what do you do? Roll idea as well...
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

ooc - sorry, can't post right now, gotta run idea (80) (1d100=15)
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

"My men are waiting their own turns for entrance into Valhalla. I won't lose here, beast, no matter the outcome. You cannot say the same." Osvauld drops his sword and dives for the spear that sticks from the Wolf's side.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Piano man »

Alrik stares at the door for a while before turning to the other men. Ok men we are locked in here and the wolf is out there. We need to find another way out. start searching.

ooc can you describe the room again. maybe a map if you have time.
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sigfurd lights up a torch and the light instantly fills the room, bouncing off the gold coins, like moonlight over a still pond.
Not a spot of stone can be seen peeking through the gold. As the Vikings move around to get their bearings, the gold coins and jewelry shuffles pleasantly beneath their feet. The Vikings could get used to this... If this tomb wasn't their prsion as well.

Sigfurd moves his torch around the chamber.

To the East lies a long Sarcophagus where Orm had previously removed the spear Gungnir. The Sacophagus remains closed and runes of all sizes and description cover paintings and murals of the god Tyr's adventures.

Weapons litter the walls, some hanging and other leaning. Some half buried or fully for all the Viking knew, beneath the piles of gold coin. There is enough treasure of significance in this room to wage war on all of Europe. The weapons all seem fit for the gods, masterworks fitted with jewels so big, they seem wasted on a sword. They belonged on crowns or resting on chains between a princess' supple royal cleavage. Shields dressed in the same manor rested on walls and covered corners with their girth.

Directly across the chamber door was a raised slab 15 ft long and 6 ft wide. Carved from Black Shale and atop it was fixed an imposing steel ring. Lying lose on the slab was a long thing piece of silk with golden runes sewn into the elegant fabric.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm tries to get back to his senses. He still craves mead and the intoxication, but he tries to get his wits back.

OOC: I guess I dropped Gungnir? Where did it go? Is it in the chamber?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc- Gungnir is still on the floor inside the chamber. You didn't make it far past the booze. :D

Osvauld reachesfor the spear but the Fenris Wolf turns quickly to the side and brings his whole body to bear on the Viking captain. The spear remains tightly lodged in the wolf's backside as he lunges for Osvauld.

ooc - roll dodge or take the hit (if he hits) and go for the spear again. Dex x4 now.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Osvauld lets the beast come, hoping it will bring his hand closer to the spear.

ooc - DEXx4 (44) (1d100=18)
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm who still has a craving for beer examines the piece of silk. Is this the cord which fettered Fenrisulfr?

Return to “Chapter 3: When I See An Elephant Fly!”